Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Tweet from bob McKenzie: Vancouver not eligible for lottery because they were in a playoff spot

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It’s my understanding it’s the eight worst point percentages OUTSIDE of those teams that were in playoff positions based on point percentages at the pause. So VAN and CGY would have been in the playoffs, hence they would not be lottery teams.</p>&mdash; Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) <a href="">June 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

so if the season is cancelled we are considered to have just made the cancelled playoffs and we give up a midround pick (17?) to tampa

if the playdowns happen and we lose to minny then we keep the pick and end up in a phase 2 lottery with a 1/8 shot at #1 or #9-15.

if the playdown happens and we beat minnesota we give the pick to tampa and it is at least 17?

i can live with any of those outcomes. if we lose to minny we have a 50% chance of drafting 11th or better. that is better odds than i think we would have had if the season ended normally and we had missed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
next question

if next season is cancelled, will the draft lottery be even odds among all teams? it will have to be less weighted than this season without fresh results to go by.

if you assume the odds at next years draft are even among all teams would you rather

a. miss the playoffs this year and keep the pick this year on the 1/8 phase 2 odds and guve away next years even odds pick.

b. make the playoffs this year, give away this year's pick and get a completely random even odds pick next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Eklund of Hockey Buzz.com has weighed in on the idea of a Placeholder team winning top pick in the upcoming draft.

Says he can't see ANY fans of an NHL team really wanting their team to lose in the play-in round in exchange for a 12.5 percent chance of winning the draft lottery.

But for long-suffering fans of a team firmly locked into 'rebuild mode' I'm not so sure. Winning your 'play-in' series, but getting thrashed in the first round of the 'sweet sixteen' , seems rather pointless to me. Particularly with no fans in the building, and revenues reduced to only TV for the owners.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Eklund of Hockey Buzz.com has weighed in on the idea of a Placeholder team winning top pick in the upcoming draft.

Says he can't see ANY fans of an NHL team really wanting their team to lose in the play-in round in exchange for a 12.5 percent chance of winning the draft lottery.

Yeah, that's just a dumb comment. For the vast majority of teams, winning the play in is a 'well, that was fun for a week or two' one time thing. Getting a generational player in the draft can literally change the fortunes of your franchise for two decades, and will probably get you a Cup or two.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
So do we start Laf with EP or ease him into it with Horvat?
I like putting Laff with Pettersson so we can keep Pearson who had a career year playing with Hovat.
Laff would make Tofolli expendable.

Laff - Ep - Miller
Pearson - Horvat - Boeser
Ferland- Gaud - Virtanen

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yeah, that's just a dumb comment. For the vast majority of teams, winning the play in is a 'well, that was fun for a week or two' one time thing. Getting a generational player in the draft can literally change the fortunes of your franchise for two decades, and will probably get you a Cup or two.

Its Eklund, what else would you expect. He is a fraud.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
You could quadruple Canucks lottery chances at Laf and you’d still have worse odds at than Shaq making a free-throw. I’m more hoping that the lower seed teams win and we pick 10th. Got a gut feeling one of perfetti/Hotlz/Rossi will be there.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I hope the wild absolutely embarrass the Canucks

the 1/8 shot at first pick is a no brainer and the people who would rather cheer the team In the 2020 selfish cup deserve to see 3 minnesota drubbings of that idiot, their great hero idol, benning.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

the 1/8 shot at first pick is a no brainer and the people who would rather cheer the team In the 2020 selfish cup deserve to see 3 minnesota drubbings of that idiot, their great hero idol, benning.

definitely cheering for the canucks after all this covid crap.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

So if we win the cup it gets an asterisk and if we lose and get 1st overall is there an asterisk there as well?

personally I feel the hockey gods have punished us enough and with our awesome job of suppressing corona virus deaths keeping our immune-compromised and older generations safe I think we kind of deserve that pick

If that’s not enough I could always be persuaded to give up my first born but that’s my final offer

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Laff would be unbelievable. Pettersson, Laff, Boeser, Hughes, Miller, and Markstrom is as good a core group as anyone in the league assuming Laff reaches his expected level (I’m not banking on Crosby level, but maybe McKinnon level).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously I've never seen any of these top picks play very much, other than a few tournament games and the odd YouTube highlight package.

But scouts and people in 'the know', say Lafreniere is the best first overall picks since McDavid in 2015. So obviously 'when' and in what year you win the first overall selection matters. In 2017 for example, Elias Pettersson might prove to be the best player in that draft, despite being selected 5th overall.

If this was a normal Stanley Cup playoff year, and the Canucks had legitimately made the post-season by finishing in one of the top eight spots in the Western Conference, then you'd want your team to go as far as it can.

But it's worth noting that when the 2019-20 season was cut short, the Canucks were officially below the playoff bar in the West. So who knows where they'd have finished without Markstrom and probably Tanev? And of course if they lose to the Wild, the Canucks would still be officially below the playoff bar, and a lottery team.

So despite all the rhetoric about NHL parity and "anything can happen in the playoffs' this probably wasn't the Canucks season anyway. But actually winning the first overall pick, would set this team up for the next decade.

So I guess your view depends on whether you take the short term, or long term view with this team. Is the first overall pick a better option than a playoff round or two? Over to other posters on this one.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have to agree with Brian Burke...The Red Wings not getting a pick in the top 3 is absolutely criminal, the anti -tanking draft policies need to be changed....Teams that barely missed the playoffs obtaining the the best players in the draft does not bring me any joy.

I would recommend only having the worst three teams in the 'lottery'....The rest of the non playoff teams pick in the usual sequence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I like putting Laff with Pettersson so we can keep Pearson who had a career year playing with Hovat.
Laff would make Tofolli expendable.

Laff - Ep - Miller
Pearson - Horvat - Boeser
Ferland- Gaud - Virtanen

Just for fun, let's assume we had Laff and lets assume he's a legit, 50pt-60 pt top six quality player right outa the gate.
Then, if we did resign Toffoli, we could potentially put together three lines with two top6 players on each line.
Pettersson Boeser
Laff Miller
Horvat Toffoli

Then layer in wingers however you see fit. Pearson, Virtanen, Ferland (the latter two of which can play both wings).

that would be an interesting look! at the very minimum it would be hard to match up against for other teams...especially when you'd have Gaudette on the 4th line.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t have much faith that this team will advance very far in these playoffs (heck, I’m still not convinced that these playoffs will even be completed).

But I also have no faith in the Canucks getting a first overall pick, regardless of the odds. If the Wild bounce us I would still expect us to get the worst possible draft position out of it, and then we would be on the hook for giving away our first rounder next year.

So I guess I will just root for the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup this year. Like always. (Sigh)

Reactions: Szechwan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t have much faith that this team will advance very far in these playoffs (heck, I’m still not convinced that these playoffs will even be completed).

But I also have no faith in the Canucks getting a first overall pick, regardless of the odds. If the Wild bounce us I would still expect us to get the worst possible draft position out of it, and then we would be on the hook for giving away our first rounder next year.

So I guess I will just root for the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup this year. Like always. (Sigh)
....but you gotta have faith.....!

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Have to agree with Brian Burke...The Red Wings not getting a pick in the top 3 is absolutely criminal, the anti -tanking draft policies need to be changed....Teams that barely missed the playoffs obtaining the the best players in the draft does not bring me any joy.

I would recommend only having the worst three teams in the 'lottery'....The rest of the non playoff teams pick in the usual sequence.
They should also add clauses like if a team has picked first overall then they can't pick first overall again for a certain amount of years. Maybe you could do it for the top 2 or 3 picks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad