Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft in Review

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It certainly seems like there were more reaches than safe picks, but once you really get out of the first round draft rankings are basically arbitrary, especially compilations made by individuals that in no way could possibly have expertise in all the different prospect pools. How many times do you see a prospect ranked in the mid-50s by one reputable site, late 70s by another, and in the 140s by still a third?

We'll see in a few years, but my first sense isn't anything overly thrilled.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I'm a lot more ok with the draft the more I look at it, and I was fine with it initially. I would have liked a couple of bigger swings with the Slaggert and Yetman picks but I think everyone else sounds promising enough that they could develop into gems.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am fine with he first 2 picks. Would have rather taken some swings at higher ceiling players in a couple of the other picks. Seemed like kind of a meh draft.

Reactions: jls24

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Again...no problem with the 1st 2 picks..would be a better draft if Stan had gotten another 2nd rounder via trade either from a current roster player or moving onevofvour 2 3rds and a player or future puck so tgat we could add another prospect from a deep top 3croubds forwards class to our pool.

It sort of boggles the mind that rumors of trade interest in Saad being moved did mot manifest prior to this draft ..if they hapoen now after the draft then any back are onlyvfor next draft ...if we getca first then delaying a trade is understandable if such team onlyvwoukd dobtgat for2021 draft...but if wevonly get saycax2ndxand a 4rd then I do not understand why they coukd notvget a deal done for the 2020 draft and if that turnsvinto the case then Syan botched it on strategy.
Looking tob2021 it is both deep and quality in d-men and there are goid centers in round 1 ...sk taking a winger unreached makes sense thus draft...Next draftceithercwe take aC or a DnN or maybeceven anotger hoLiexas there is anotger potential franchise goalie expectedcto go in the first round.

Now as to grades.... we actualkyvshoukd not grade tgecralent till 4-5 years out...
But as I sId before you can grade a draft for the drFt spots available abd as to whether a GM maximized opportunities or attemots to move up or down boards to get better or more picks ...

In this regardI applaud Stan for moving back in to getctgat early7th to draft Crevier ..but I scold Stan for his 3rd round where I think either he cpukd have chosen netter and differently as to position IR in not using 1 of thise picks plus something else to move back up into the 2nd for another forwRd pick there from this dedp forward crop of worthy 2nd rounders.

I an dubious of H S prospects taken that late...the ones most likely to ever impact are usually soecial pkayers in roundv1 or2...

So the Kaiser puck seems risky and real longshot to me and U think we could ha e done better than Slaggert....4c types are a dinexa dozen and you can get themlater down in roundsc5-7...

I just think Syan blew roubdc3xand also sone strategies he coukd have done movibg 1 of the picks ..

But maybe ge tried and nkbody bit...that I cannotcanser...

Still you sae tams like SJ make several drFt moves both up and down to get a certain target ir to get more picks Gain later to make up for picks thdy gave to move up.

I just think this was a draft Stan needed a 2nd pick for rounsd two given we were forced to goalie for our pool that early rather than wait till round d three and risk accepting the remaining crumbs frmgoalies still left on the boatd then.

In any case what's done us done .. butI do not expect much from our 3rd round this draft...we ckukd have done better esoecialky with 2 picks ...not saying the kids we picked were mot 4th roubders by the rankings..but I woukdvhave used 1 or both picks in sobecdesl to try moving back up into the 2nd again.....or taken different types as 3rd rounders.

Fine with rounds4-7 except for the strange puck of a D+2 in Yetman...he probably does not get drafted and probably goid chance we coukd just sign homas a free agent ...so to me we shoukd have used that 6th rounder differently.. I would have drafted Dimitri Rashevski ...hexwent undraftdx so ashe turns 20 October 9th ...either we pull a yetman to drFt hom next draft as a D+2 or we hope lije Panarin he percolate in Russia a few more years as a never drafted then becomes a star I tge KHL by age 23 ...then we enter some seeds to sign homas a free agent at tgat timet time...

So I would have swing for the fences on Rashevsky in round 6 and probably still gotten Yetman as a free agent after this draft ..

So I think Stan wasted an opportunity.

Did hexactualky think anitger team woukd have taken Yetman in round 7?

Maybe... but I think a low probability for that given the D+2 age ....so I think Stan played it wrong even if he wanted Yetman...

What's donevus done.

Interesting that some Hawks fans websites (SCHC) thought Commesso was not the best goaliecoption but woujdchavectaken Daws (as per the Central scouting rankibgbof thec2cof them) wheras different hockey website Puck Pros .com loved tge Conmesdo pick saying if debelioped properly he had the tools to be a starting NHL goalie....do not know how tge opposing views were arrived at...but the Second City skeptics pointed out tgat Conmesso gives up too many rebounds in his style and tgatcthus does not bode well as Hawks give up so many hogh danger close to crease chances agaibainst...Exceot yhat by the time Commesso gets to take tge Hawks net ,tgatcwill be 4-5 years out Nd by tgen we will be entirely different as a team Ndvi vtge d-corps ...so there us that ...and when we are better at not giving up these high danger area chances to the degree we do now,then a goalie giving up rebounds will find these cleared instead of ending in our net.
The other negative on Commesso is a stat in High Danger Goals above replacement that the Second Ciry skeptics brought up ;where by that analytic Commesso was below replacement despite his stellar .920 save% overall...that suggestscthatvokayingbon a sort of alk-starcteam as the USNDTO is protects him from a lot of high danfer shots and so pads his sVe statscon easier shots on goal from less dNgerxareas ...but ghatcwhen high danger shots do cone his way,he is worse than sonevotger goalies measured against.

I am notca goalie expert . I do nit knkwvifvthiscis concerning or trivial as I do not know what goalie group they were measuring him against to make such a statement or where they got that info from..

Alk I can say is tgat if Blomqvist or Daes because a goo NHK starter in a few years and Commesso does not,tgen Stan blew the choice and thatshoukdvgetcsonebidy fired ..

But since we cannot know for 4-5 years if Stan made the right choice or took a bust,we must wait till we get tge correct answer.

Did we take the right goalie or should we have taken Blomqvist? OR would we have been wiser to take Daws instead in round 3 and another position in round 2?
Nobody can answer these questions now ....only 4-5 years out ...

As to grades for our draftoverall,Puck Orose gave us a B+ ....Second City refused to grade till 4-5 years lout when time supplies the clear answers...

I also do not grade now on the talent taken ...but I do grade ourGM on tgevoverall handling of the draft....opportunities missed or wasted to move up or down or as to alternative picks I would have made instead.....and aslo I would have handled 3rd rouud differently if we kept both picks as we did ,or I would have tried to get axnother 2nd rounder in some deal,and I would have used round 6 differently in risking we get Yetman as a free agent anyway after the draft instead of wasting that pick on what we might still get after draft anyway.
Because of these Strategy gaffes and because I did mot like the 3rd round choices anyway,I would on impulse give Stan a D ...but on reflection,I liked our picks so much for rounds 4,5,and the bonus 7th rounder he did trade for and the Crevier pick there ,that all of those 3 picks put his grade to a B- .

It will be an A if either:

.Reichel becomes a top six forward with 60-65pts and a great 2 way gamexwith good+/-
Or

. Commesso becomes our starter and a top half of the league goalie

Or

. 3 of the picks become NHL players for us in future and 1 of these is impactful as a top 6 forward or top 3 dman...

If none of this happens to those levels then it will grade C,D,or F..

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I feel dissapointed by the mid-rounds. Should have tapped more into some of the European fallers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This draft makes the Alex Vlasic blunder even worse. Look at all the Alex Vlasics we got in this year's draft without having to blow a pick in the first 3 rounds.

Could have had Nicholas Robertson who would be among our top prospects. Vlasic isn't even top 10.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This draft makes the Alex Vlasic blunder even worse. Look at all the Alex Vlasics we got in this year's draft without having to blow a pick in the first 3 rounds.

Could have had Nicholas Robertson who would be among our top prospects. Vlasic isn't even top 10.
There's nobody remotely Vlasic like here. Expect the bigger but slower Crevier who isn't really too much like him still.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I like the Reichel pick and Commesso as well as Phillips. The thing I liked about Slaggert is when he describes his type of play he is aggressive and says that he is the type others don’t want to play against. I like that statement and confidence.
Doing a bit more research, the Reichel and Commesso picks are fine. They're not the forward and goalie I'd have taken(I'd have taken Mercer and Blomqvist) but whatever.
The rest of them are 3rd round picks and Foudy and Poirier were off the board by the time the Hawks picked anyway, and they were the last of the late first/2nd blob players remaining. Whining about 3rd round picks or later in any draft is pointless.
However.....when Commesso got drafted his comments seemed like someone who wasn't thrilled with who drafted him and might go the NCAA UFA route.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Doing a bit more research, the Reichel and Commesso picks are fine.
The rest of them are 3rd round picks and Foudy and Poirier were off the board by the time the Hawks picked. Whining about 3rd round picks or later in any draft is pointless.
However.....when Commesso got drafted his comments seemed like someone who wasn't thrilled with who drafted him and might go the NCAA UFA route.

That's quite an analysis from some post draft comments.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Seems like one of the more uninspiring drafts we’ve had. Just an odd conglomerate of players. First two picks were fine, but then after that it’s a mixed bag. Not enough high ceiling guys.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Doing a bit more research, the Reichel and Commesso picks are fine. They're not the forward and goalie I'd have taken(I'd have taken Mercer and Blomqvist) but whatever.
The rest of them are 3rd round picks and Foudy and Poirier were off the board by the time the Hawks picked anyway, and they were the last of the late first/2nd blob players remaining. Whining about 3rd round picks or later in any draft is pointless.

Come onnn man it hasn't even been a week :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad