2020 NHL Draft - Early Rankings and Scouting Reports LWOH

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I can't see Byfield falling below 3. Such a powerful skater for a player his size. Also plays the premium position as compared to Lafrenier, Raymond and Holtz.

Reactions: 780il and Dominance

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Jan Mysak will shock people by years end at this rate. Honest top 3 candidate.

I havent seen enough of his czech league stuff to get a proper feel on him yet. There are always risers when you see more footage of players in their draft year. One i will keep an eye on.

Any word if hes going to Hamilton or staying in the czech republic?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I can't see Byfield falling below 3. Such a powerful skater for a player his size. Also plays the premium position as compared to Lafrenier, Raymond and Holtz.

He has the tools that he can rise quickly if he shows more production than he did last year. I could see him in the conversation for number 1. Its less likely but guys in the top 10 preseason have also gone undrafted. Its a snapshot of today and there will be some fluidity here even by our traditional november update.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Raymond I can see at #2 but I really have my doubts about Holtz at #3. To me he just doesn't have the skating or overall game to go ahead of some of the other names.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’d say it’s pretty clearly

Drysdale
Barron
Poirier
Guhle
Grans

At this point, with the latter two interchangeable to some degree. But I don’t really think any other prospect has a claim at this point. It’s a pretty clear picture.

Schneider and Nikishin could wedge their way in there as well.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Drysdale
Barron
Poirier
Guhle
Grans

At this point, with the latter two interchangeable to some degree. But I don’t really think any other prospect has a claim at this point. It’s a pretty clear picture.
Didn't know Guhle also has a younger brother who plays defense just like him.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010

Drysdale
Barron
Poirier
Guhle
Grans

Those defensemen could creep into the first round also: Braden Schneider, Alexander Nikishin, Jake Sanderson, Tyler Kleven, Jack Thompson, Daemon Hunt, Tyrel Bauer, Lukas Cormier, Michael Benning, Jérémie Biakabutuka, Simon Kubicek, Ryan O'Rourke, Donovan Sebrango, William Villeneuve. The depth of this draft is off the chart IMO.

Reactions: Dominance

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Those defensemen could creep into the first round also: Braden Schneider, Alexander Nikishin, Jake Sanderson, Tyler Kleven, Jack Thompson, Daemon Hunt, Tyrel Bauer, Lukas Cormier, Michael Benning, Jérémie Biakabutuka, Simon Kubicek, Ryan O'Rourke, Donovan Sebrango, William Villeneuve. The depth of this draft is off the chart IMO.

Speaking of Villeneuve, Saint John looks like they could have a banner year. At least 5 maybe 6 kids that could get drafted.

Reactions: Dominance

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I havent seen enough of his czech league stuff to get a proper feel on him yet. There are always risers when you see more footage of players in their draft year. One i will keep an eye on.

Any word if hes going to Hamilton or staying in the czech republic?
They’ve given him the keys and the captaincy in Litvinov at 16 years old. That’s unheard of. I will be extremely shocked if he moves over. He’s been extremely dominant. I suggest watching some of the playoff relegation battle games that he was in. He was absolutely filthy.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would add Lleyton Moore and Luke Prokop to that list. Total opposite sizes, but both have strong hockey sense and move the puck fast out of the zone.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Raymond I can see at #2 but I really have my doubts about Holtz at #3. To me he just doesn't have the skating or overall game to go ahead of some of the other names.

Laine is ruining Holtz's case for going top 3.

Jokes aside. Can't see him going ahead of Byfield.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He wont, if you really got to watch him this season and see how elite his skillset is I cant see anyone letting him fall below 2. As a sens fan I know they are getting a top 5 pick he is who I want. His end game is so unique there isnt a single comparable player currently in the NHL. His combination of size, skating and skill is truly incredible. The thing that got me was his work ethic and back pressure. Reminded me of a giant Hossa who plays center.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

Drysdale
Barron
Poirier
Guhle
Grans

There are about 11 guys on defense with 1st round grade at this point. Here is how I see them...

1. Jamie Drysdale, RHD, Erie (OHL), CAN
2. Justin Barron, RHD, Halifax (QMJHL), CAN
3. Jake Sanderson, LHD, US NTDP (USHL), USA
4. Ryan O'Rourke, LHD, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL), CAN
5. Helge Grans, RHD, Malmo (Sweeden), SWE
6. Tyler Kleven, LHD, US NTDP (USHL), USA
7. Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 (Sweeden), SWE
8. Kaiden Guhle, LHD, Prince Albert (WHL), CAN
9. Jeremie Poirier, LHD, Saint John (QMJHL), CAN
10. Braden Schneider, RHD, Brandon (WHL), CAN
11. Lukas Cormier, LHD, Charlottetown (QMJHL), CAN

Reactions: QJL and Dominance

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He wont, if you really got to watch him this season and see how elite his skillset is I cant see anyone letting him fall below 2. As a sens fan I know they are getting a top 5 pick he is who I want. His end game is so unique there isnt a single comparable player currently in the NHL. His combination of size, skating and skill is truly incredible. The thing that got me was his work ethic and back pressure. Reminded me of a giant Hossa who plays center.

Oh I agree 100%

As a Wolves season ticket holder I get to see him more than most. He's the best to come through Sudbury in a long, long time. Unfortunate we'll only get to see him for 1 more year in the North. He has the size and skating to make the NHL immediately. I'll enjoy watching him while I can.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for this. Will be interesting to see which guys rise and which ones fall during this season.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
There are about 11 guys on defense with 1st round grade at this point. Here is how I see them...

1. Jamie Drysdale, RHD, Erie (OHL), CAN
2. Justin Barron, RHD, Halifax (QMJHL), CAN
3. Jake Sanderson, LHD, US NTDP (USHL), USA
4. Ryan O'Rourke, LHD, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL), CAN
5. Helge Grans, RHD, Malmo (Sweeden), SWE
6. Tyler Kleven, LHD, US NTDP (USHL), USA
7. Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 (Sweeden), SWE
8. Kaiden Guhle, LHD, Prince Albert (WHL), CAN
9. Jeremie Poirier, LHD, Saint John (QMJHL), CAN
10. Braden Schneider, RHD, Brandon (WHL), CAN
11. Lukas Cormier, LHD, Charlottetown (QMJHL), CAN

Solid list. I have all these players in my first two rounds. Three other names I believes will rise into 1st round consideration are Jeremy Biakabutuka, Tyrel Bauer, and Ruben Rafkin.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Someone mentioned earlier, but don't sleep on Lleyton Moore as top 2 round dman. Possesses elite hockey IQ, elite skating and toughness. The only knock is height and in todays game that is not as much of an issue.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Three eligible defensemen will probably be playing in the NCAA out of the USHL next season. Yan Kuznetsov with the University of Connecticut, Jake Boltmann with the University of Minnesota and Ethan Szmagaj with the University of Wisconsin. We will have to wait and see that they can do at the college level before judging them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad