NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
What do you guys (or girls) think about JL Foudy?

I really liked him the first time or two I saw him, just based on pure skills. But I'm not sure about his hockey sense. He likes to skate with the puck around the perimeter, but when it comes to advancing the puck toward the net I don't see much vision or creativity.

Reactions: ijif

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
What do you guys (or girls) think about JL Foudy?
I would need to see more of him but currently I would say there are much better players available in the range he is expected to get drafted. There are a large number of players that I would actively target before I would give him much consideration. But there may be other people on here that are high on him so maybe they will present some strong arguments as to why he should be targeted.

This link seems to do a good evaluation of him and has video clips demonstrating some of his strengths and weaknesses. You might find it worthwhile to check out.
2020 NHL Entry Draft Profile: Jean-Luc Foudy

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I've started to fall in love with William Wallinder's game. He moves exceptionally well for a 6'3 player and is super hard to knock the puck off of. He does all the right things, the little things scout look for. He is calm and smart with the puck. He never tries to make a play that's not there, makes the simple, but smart play. ] He covers a lot of ice and makes it hard for players to keep possession down low in the DZ. He's ranked as high as the 10-14 range by some people but low as the 2nd round by others. Personally, I would select him with the Islanders pick but there could be another player there that would be hard to resist passing over. The combination of his strength, excellent mobility and a poised game, I can see him flourishing in the NHL.

If I did have to say one negative thing, he's can be somewhat inconsistent with his flashes of brilliance. He has all the talent in the world to be a great two-way defender but sometimes he doesn't put in the effort. I think that's something he needs to mature over the next two years.

Here's a nice clip of him in the Allsvenskan:

This. I really like him and he should go around 20-30. If we can package some 2nds get up to 18-22, we should take a had look at this guy and Schneider if still available. Bolster the back-end a bit after getting 3 high-end forwards in the top 15.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Skating: At this year’s Top Prospect’s Game, Perreault came out on top of most on-ice tests for skating (including forward skate, reaction time, and weave agility), besting Windsor’s Jean Luc Foudy. This, of course, helps to solidify the belief that Perreault is one of the draft’s elite skaters. His first few strides are very explosive, both with and without the puck. His agility and ability to create space for himself using his edges are also top notch. Recently, I graded Foudy at a 65, so why the slightly lower grade for Perreault? Two reasons. The first is that Perreault is hesitant to use his speed to his advantage at times and is not as aggressive on the attack. With the way that he moves, Perreault should be the focal point of all zone entries, but that is not the case. He can stop moving his feet in the neutral zone and there is an appearance of complacency. The second is that Perreault’s balance and strength through his cuts needs improvement as he can be knocked off stride when trying to operate through traffic. In a way, Perreault compares slightly to former Sting and current St. Louis Blue Jordan Kyrou, in that as draft eligible players they did not take full advantage of their natural skating gifts. Kyrou, of course, figured this out to become an absolutely elite level mover.

Shot: While his father Yanic was known most for his playmaking and passing ability, Jacob’s top weapon is a near elite level wrist shot. He can shoot while in full stride and elevates the puck very quickly, showcasing an excellent release. He is adept at using defenders as screens, as he pushes them back with his speed. Perreault is also very adept at finding soft spots in the opposing defense and scores a lot in tight by finishing off odd man rushes or beating defenders to the net. Additionally, Perreault shows a strong one-time slap shot while operating near the half wall of the powerplay. He possesses a lot of different weapons as a goal scorer.

Skills: Perreault should be considered one of the most creative players with the puck in this draft class. His ability to control the puck while in full stride is a major strength, as he can make defenders look foolish as they struggle to keep Perreault in front of them. He is very adept at taking the puck wide and using an inside out move to create space for his shot. He is also excellent at using change of pace to get behind defenders, which aids in his deceptiveness.

Smarts: This was the toughest area to grade for Perreault. There are components of his game that show a very high-level IQ. And there are components of his game that do not show that. Without the puck in the offensive end, Perreault is a very intelligent player. As mentioned, he finds soft spots in coverage and his anticipation in the offensive end is excellent. He also does a good job of supporting defenders when in his own end and is able to recover loose pucks to help start the breakout.

However, with the puck on his stick, his decision making can be suspect. Turnovers in the neutral zone can be a problem as he forces passes to the middle, fails to get pucks in deep, or stops moving his feet. This area of his game, in combination with his transitional defense (which is much weaker than his zone defense) are among the reasons why he failed to make the Canadian Hlinka team in the summer. These are areas that can improve, but consistency is currently an issue.

Physicality: While Perreault is not out there throwing his body around, he is also not a soft player. He will take a hit to make a play. He will take the puck to the middle of the ice or attack the net and take a beating. Playing through traffic is important for a player of Perreault’s skill level and he succeeds in doing so quite often. Added strength will aid in helping him to be more consistent, but the will is there.

Reactions: Sensators

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think a solid strategy for this draft is to target players that fit the style the Sens are going for and to emphasize versatility. Going forward playoff success will be contingent on depth and the ability to make line adjustments. Having forwards that can shift up and down the lines, that can take on an array of roles and can successfully play both wings/play wing and center/or play wing but have the ability to win faceoffs could be key. We seem to have a number of forwards that fit that definition currently and it seems to make sense to continue with that strategy.

Some prospects in this draft have that ability to be versatile and play multiple roles and some do not so I think especially in rounds 2 to 6 that that should be a priority.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think a solid strategy for this draft is to target players that fit the style the Sens are going for and to emphasize versatility. Going forward playoff success will be contingent on depth and the ability to make line adjustments. Having forwards that can shift up and down the lines, that can take on an array of roles and can successfully play both wings/play wing and center/or play wing but have the ability to win faceoffs could be key. We seem to have a number of forwards that fit that definition currently and it seems to make sense to continue with that strategy.

Some prospects in this draft have that ability to be versatile and play multiple roles and some do not so I think especially in rounds 2 to 6 that that should be a priority.

Great post. It's also what has made us in almost every single game this season. Although we are currently 2nd last, it definitely doesn't feel like it in regards to effort.

Your post is a good explanation of why Boston and Pittsburgh have been so successful for so long. Notably Boston.

With that being said, I believe we have those players you mentioned: Formenton, White, Norris, Brown, Tierney, Duclair, Pinto, Tkachuk all these guys can shift top 6 at times(Tkachuk mainstay) but play with tenacity of bottom 6 guys too. That's important for depth.

What we need now is pure top line talent. It would help a lot if we can get it in the form of dominant multidimensional players too (which seem like all of Laf, By, Raymond, Stutzle, Rossi, Lundell).

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Who are some of the best tall skaters in this draft? Most of the players I am excited about seem to be a bit on the smaller side and I only want 90% short ones..

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Who are some of the best tall skaters in this draft? Most of the players I am excited about seem to be a bit on the smaller side and I only want 90% short ones..

Most are defenders like Wallinder and Barron.

Byfield and Holloway are who come to mind among forwards in the early parts of the draft. Hollow is only listed at 6'0 but he plays a big game and he looks bigger than that, probably because he is filled in more than the other prospects. Moves very smooth. Gunler has really deception edge-work and changing skating directions.

Reactions: Sensators

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Future Scope Hockey has a mock draft board (https://www.futurescopehockey.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft)

It's randomized daily and you can search what picks are made by teams. Here's what it currently has for Ottawa.

2. F Quinton Byfield - Sudbury, OHL
3. F Tim Stutzle - Mannheim, DEL
15. F Dylan Holloway - Wisconsin, NCAA
33. F Vasili Ponomaryov - Shawinigan, QMJHL
49. D Tyler Kleven - USNTDP, USHL (Committed to Univ. of North Dakota).
50. D Joni Jurmo - Jokerit, Jr. A Sm-Liiga
53. F Blake Biondi - Hermantown High, USHS (Committed to Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth).
64. F Emil Heineman - Leksands IF, SuperElit
79. D William Wallinder - MODO Hockey, Super Elit
95. F Ryder Rolston - Waterloo, USHL (Committed to Univ. of Notre Dame).
152. F Will Cuylle - Windsor, OHL
158. F Alex Young - Canmore, AJHL (Committed to Colgate Univ).
185. F Nikita Shuidin - SKA-Varyagi Morozova, MHL

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Future Scope Hockey has a mock draft board (https://www.futurescopehockey.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft)

It's randomized daily and you can search what picks are made by teams. Here's what it currently has for Ottawa.

53. F Blake Biondi - Hermantown High, USHS (Committed to Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth).

William Wallinder with our 9th pick.

Bubba likes

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Great post. It's also what has made us in almost every single game this season. Although we are currently 2nd last, it definitely doesn't feel like it in regards to effort.

Your post is a good explanation of why Boston and Pittsburgh have been so successful for so long. Notably Boston.

With that being said, I believe we have those players you mentioned: Formenton, White, Norris, Brown, Tierney, Duclair, Pinto, Tkachuk all these guys can shift top 6 at times(Tkachuk mainstay) but play with tenacity of bottom 6 guys too. That's important for depth.

What we need now is pure top line talent. It would help a lot if we can get it in the form of dominant multidimensional players too (which seem like all of Laf, By, Raymond, Stutzle, Rossi, Lundell).

For my post I was focusing more on rounds 2 to 6 than the 1st round. I agree that we need top line talent and we can get that in the first round. The players you listed and a few others like Holloway, Jarvis, Zary and Mysak are also first round options that could have some versatility.

I agree with your point about Boston and Pittsburgh and I think you could also add St Louis, Los Angeles and Chicago to that list in terms of Cup winners that had great depth and versatility in their lineup. It just seems to be an advantage to have the flexibility to adjust who plays on which line and the d pairings. I think if the Sens continue this route they will have a fair amount of depth and versatility.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I feel the same. He'd be a good pick with one of our picks from other teams
What makes you feel he would be a solid target? I'm curious to learn what makes him stand out from the other options available in the 2nd round. Are you really high on him or do you simply just think he could be a good pick?

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
What makes you feel he would be a solid target? I'm curious to learn what makes him stand out from the other options available in the 2nd round. Are you really high on him or do you simply just think he could be a good pick?

Personally, for me, I think he has great potential. Yeah, he has a ton of problems. For example, he relies too much on skating, only plays at top speed, which gets him into trouble, and holds onto the puck too long, but there are few players that have his skating, puck control, and vision.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Personally, for me, I think he has great potential. Yeah, he has a ton of problems. For example, he relies too much on skating, only plays at top speed, which gets him into trouble, and holds onto the puck too long, but there are few players that have his skating, puck control, and vision.

Yeah Foudy seems to be in that same class as Stranges. The probelm areas are very different, but it's same idea. The raw skills are tremendous, but there's quite a bit of risk involved. Both the upside and the risk factor are lower for Foudy though. Stranges is about as boom-or-bust prospect as I can remember seeing.

Rafi, you mentioned the other day about whether Stranges would be an option for the Sens and whether he can play up and down the lineup. I believe the simple answer to both is no. He is pretty much the opposite of the profile for a Dorion pick. And there is just no way this kid is a third line energy guy in the NHL; he is going to be a superstar in the league, or he'll go play in Europe where he can be a star. Are you familiar at all with the YouTube basketball personality The Professor? Bauer has already had a relationship with Stranges since he was a kid. Hockey doesn't exactly have a Globetrotters or a "Street" league, but it is still adapting to the social media world. I believe if Stranges doesn't make it in the NHL, he's going to find a way to be famous and make a lot of money elsewhere. For instance I could picture him playing in different European leagues each year and helping grow the game internationally while being featured in Bauer commercials. He's just such a special talent.

I remember months ago you mentioned the problem with a kid like Stranges is they have to be able to fit into an NHL team's system, and I'm not sure Stranges will be able to do that. There are a lot of issues facing Stranges, but part of the problem is, when you can do things that nobody else can do, then what might seem like the best play for an ordinary player might not be the best play for you because you can do something better, but when you make the best play available to you, it can be so counter-intuitive to typical hockey wisdom that opponents and teammates (and coaches) alike are caught off guard. The challenge for Stranges to be an NHLer is going to be to just dial it back. He needs to figure out when it's time to just follow the system and use his teammates, and when it is time to break out some crazy shit. The problem is, since he was quite young he's always been able to do things nobody else could do, so he's always been able to play outside and beyond conventional hockey wisdom, and so he just never learned to play the game the right way. What makes him so intriguing to me is, if he is able to adjust to the NHL, he is going to change the way the game is played. As I've said before, when he is on the highlight reels every night, every young kid learning hockey is going to want to learn how to skate like Stranges does.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I've been watching a ton of tape the past few days. I'll hopefully have something interesting to post tomorrow, but a few random comments for now.

At the junior level, Holtz is better in puck battles than I had previously given him credit for.

Stranges and Raymond are the best players in the draft at creating offense out of nothing. Stranges does it primarily with his skating, and secondarily with his stickhandling. Raymond just finds ways with his combination of skills, hockey sense and tenacity. Also it is unreal how many turnovers Raymond forces, and specifically turnovers that lead directly to scoring chances.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

that top 3 would be.....amazeballs

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad