Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 165th Overall Pick, Matt Rempe, C

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hes massive... VERY good potential with him. Hes already 10 to 15 pounds heavier from when the season was stopped this past year.

Hes a massive beast that actually has alot of skill. Great pick for you guys

Interesting. I have a theory about tall skaters who are skinny. It's one of the reasons why I was gung ho on a couple of kids who've already started to break past certain levels.
I feel like it's easier for taller kids to become more balanced when they are slight of frame, if the skating mechanics can be worked on before the mass is put on, you end up training the kid to adapt his skating to his body and his body to his skating as he's gaining weight.

In other words, if he can manage a regular stride and maintain his balance after contact... he's going to be able to play if he's fast enough... I'd be curious to see if they can train 6'5"+ athlete to skate with a bow legged stride. That way you get a tall dude with a stride that has a low center of gravity, add some muscle, and have him throw his weight around and you've got a monster on the ice.

Closest I've seen was Artukhin back in the day, but back then they wanted all the tall kids to skate like Lindros.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Size matters....

So does skating, stickhandling, hockey IQ, vision and the ability to adapt but when a player who is 6'8 is drafted, those are never mentioned.

Rempe is a long shot but it's not a pick I hate. He played on a garbage Thunderbirds team (I would know). I don't see why they drafted him to be honest. Having just 2 years of control seems like a wasted pick for a long-term project like Rempe

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
First of all, 17 years is a long time for a call back. I can certainly picture this kid as a second shot at developing Hugh Jessiman. As in the Garand thread, this is a summation. Will start with the obvious, he's noticeable... and in a good way. This is a pick that's something of a boom or bust pick if you are looking for a Brian Boyle or + player. In other words, you're developing and athlete over term. One of the interesting things about him is that he is not an awkward skater. Guy also is a skilled player who can shoot.

It's just that he's had a lot of low miles on him. This is a situation where the prospect and the team can develop over time. Jack Finley was an interesting name out there, this is a Finley type of project that may be out there. He was skinny last year. I don't think that will be the case this year. The most interesting thing I heard about him is that he has good feet. Didn't hear "good skater for his size", but rather "good feet". My interpretation is that he's not a mechanically flawed skater, but just and albatross who's trying to see what he can do out there.

This is another one where you have a boom or bust of a player, and it's a hell of a boom. If he's got some edge to his game with more mass, he's going to scaring the living daylights out of some kids. He'll have to chuck em, but if that's a part of his game, he can have a lot of room out there on many nights.

You give him the Tyler Myers treatment for skating lessons. Whatever that was. The NHL comp is Miles Wood. That's the type of role he should try and carve for himself. This is a kid where added mass and muscle is going to make him explosive. The Rangers guys out West are not your guys out west anymore.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
First of all, 17 years is a long time for a call back. I can certainly picture this kid as a second shot at developing Hugh Jessiman. As in the Garand thread, this is a summation. Will start with the obvious, he's noticeable... and in a good way. This is a pick that's something of a boom or bust pick if you are looking for a Brian Boyle or + player. In other words, you're developing and athlete over term. One of the interesting things about him is that he is not an awkward skater. Guy also is a skilled player who can shoot.

It's just that he's had a lot of low miles on him. This is a situation where the prospect and the team can develop over time. Jack Finley was an interesting name out there, this is a Finley type of project that may be out there. He was skinny last year. I don't think that will be the case this year. The most interesting thing I heard about him is that he has good feet. Didn't hear "good skater for his size", but rather "good feet". My interpretation is that he's not a mechanically flawed skater, but just and albatross who's trying to see what he can do out there.

This is another one where you have a boom or bust of a player, and it's a hell of a boom. If he's got some edge to his game with more mass, he's going to scaring the living daylights out of some kids. He'll have to chuck em, but if that's a part of his game, he can have a lot of room out there on many nights.

You give him the Tyler Myers treatment for skating lessons. Whatever that was. The NHL comp is Miles Wood. That's the type of role he should try and carve for himself. This is a kid where added mass and muscle is going to make him explosive. The Rangers guys out West are not your guys out west anymore.
Make him #30 on the prospect poll

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Boom or bust has to be the most frequently misused scouting term on Earth.

He's not boom or bust.

I agree he has a high bust potential like everyone picked basically anywhere outside round 1. He has a very high bust potential like everyone picked later in the draft.

He also has potential as an AHLer, 4th liner or 3rd liner. He doesn't have to be a top 6er or it's bust. Not trying to shit on Mikos, he's a good egg, I think it's funny more than anything how often boom or bust is thrown around, especially for late late project picks like this...or later picks at all

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In talking to those with the organization, this is more of a "crockpot" kind of prospect that you let marinate and cook for longer amount of time. The hope being that with time, you can get a similar value/ROI to someone like Finley --- taken many picks higher.

Reactions: Leetch3

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In talking to those with the organization, this is more of a "crockpot" kind of prospect that you let marinate and cook for longer amount of time. The hope being that with time, you can get a similar value/ROI to someone like Finley --- taken many picks higher.

Hard to let a prospect cook when you have to pull the trigger 20 months later on an ELC.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hard to let a prospect cook when you have to pull the trigger 20 months later on an ELC.

You can still let him cook on his ELC for 3 years. If he doesn't show enough to earn an ELC, that's one thing, but he doesn't have to light the world on fire to get a contract.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think they'd be fine letting him cook in the AHL, or even the ECHL as a step along the way.

This isn't a kid who'll be coming in with huge bonuses or other financial considerations. If he shows enough progress in the 20 months, I don't expect there to be much hesitation there.

But the impression I got was that he's very much in the same thought process of guys Boqvist v. Lundkvist or York v. Jones.

Not saying the results will be quite as dramatic, but you can see the mindset emerging with looking for players with somewhat similar profiles to higher picks, potentially being on the same track, albeit not having arrived at enough stations yet.

Reactions: Kendo

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You can still let him cook on his ELC for 3 years. If he doesn't show enough to earn an ELC, that's one thing, but he doesn't have to light the world on fire to get a contract.

I get that, I just wish these late picks had a bit more time. We haven't drafted a lot of players late from the major junior leagues in recent years and the only one I can remember getting a contract was Ronning.

But hey, 6th round picks aren't really ones I lose sleep over. There were far worse picks by the Rangers in this draft class in earlier rounds

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get that, I just wish these late picks had a bit more time. We haven't drafted a lot of players late from the major junior leagues in recent years and the only one I can remember getting a contract was Ronning.

But hey, 6th round picks aren't really ones I lose sleep over. There were far worse picks by the Rangers in this draft class in earlier rounds

I'll respectively disagree on the earlier picks, I think they did a really good job. But I really don't think the timing is going to be an issue here.

I think we've become accustomed to seeing European players on a certain timeline, but I think your lower ranks in North America are filled with later round North American kids who end up on modest AHL contracts for several years.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

True, and what I'd like to see is that 3rd year in the ELC become a team option. Sometimes you don't need 3 years to get an answer, and sometimes a player knows he can make more in a different league but not make the NHL. With team contract limits capped at 50, a coast league player on his 3rd year ELC becomes a consideration for NHL level deals.

I believe if you take something away, you have to give something in return, and perhaps the player keeps that 3rd year bonus payout as some form of transitional assurance. It's not trading a guy for a buck like the olden days, this is far more humane.

Reactions: kovazub94

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
True, and what I'd like to see is that 3rd year in the ELC become a team option. Sometimes you don't need 3 years to get an answer, and sometimes a player knows he can make more in a different league but not make the NHL. With team contract limits capped at 50, a coast league player on his 3rd year ELC becomes a consideration for NHL level deals. I believe if you take something away, you have to give something in return, and perhaps the player keeps that 3rd year bonus payout as some form of transitional assurance. It's not trading a guy for a buck like the olden days, this is far more humane.

Interesting thought, and it immediately brought to mind Sean Day's release, mid-ELC, a few months back

Reactions: kovazub94

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
what are the terms for contract termination? like when can you do it vs being forced to buy out the contract? seems like lame for those players if they aren't getting the same financial assurance buyout players get. But then also why don't the incur buyout penalties?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad