Prospect Info: 2020 Ives Preliminary Draft Rankings -- Top 75

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Andrae scored 1 goal and made 9 assissts in 7 games in preseason. I do not claim that he will look the same in the SHL, but we should not lose sight on him.

I like Andrae a lot, I've spoke of him often in these threads. I'm really interested in seeing where he is drafted. There is little doubt that right now, he his the best defenseman coming out of Sweden in the 2020 draft class. But he may not be as projectable as we would like.

What I mean by this is that I'm fine with an undersized defenseman, especially if he's an elite skater. But Andrae is a decent skater, at best. I'd also be fine with an undersized defenseman without elite skating, if his game were pretty flawless aside from the physical limitations. But again, Andrae is a passable, at best, defender in his own zone.

Ultimately, we need to weigh the fact that Andrae is an extremely intelligent and productive offensive defenseman against the limitations to try to determine what sort of player we will be getting at the NHL level. It's because of this that I have Andrae ranked as a "tweener" in the 2nd/3rd round region. I see him as a very good comparable to a New Jersey Devil in Will Butcher -- a guy who is smart and offensively adept enough to be NHL-caliber and flirt with 40+ point production, but also a player you need to shelter so that he's not on the ice against the opposition's top weapons.

All year long I had ranked Andrae as the #1 defenseman out of Sweden, but these concerns have dropped him in my final rankings to #2 behind Viktor Persson, who I think can be more of an all-situations blueliner. But I do like Emil Andrae, and I'm glad you mentioned him.

Last edited:
Reactions: billingtons ghost

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
We probably would’ve had a good shot at him with Arizona’s pick if they lost to Nashville. I don’t think he’ll be there with our second 1st rounder now.

I don't think he will be either. No way Carolina passes on him at the absolute latest, right?

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
We probably would’ve had a good shot at him with Arizona’s pick if they lost to Nashville. I don’t think he’ll be there with our second 1st rounder now.
I don’t either, I’m just saying it’s a joke how many people wouldn’t take a goalie prospect that good in the second half of the first round. I don’t think people understand that the odds of getting a high end NHLer after the first 10 or so picks is pretty damn low

TZdevils

Apr 10, 2019
I don’t either, I’m just saying it’s a joke how many people wouldn’t take a goalie prospect that good in the second half of the first round. I don’t think people understand that the odds of getting a high end NHLer after the first 10 or so picks is pretty damn low
Yes in alot of drafts but this draft is different. The deepest draft in years. There's players getting drafted in the high teens this year that would be top 10 any other year

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’d be almost tempted to take him with the 7th, it could be a good move for Buffalo also, Askarov could end up winning some team a whole lot of games.

When the UFA age dropped to 27 it devalued goalies to a certain extent, it’s very hard to take a goalie over a elite skater who will be on your team at 18-20 when a goalie would be still developing. Once you go beyond the top picks who will be contributing early in the NHL then a goalie who’s already playing that well in the KHL is as good a bet as anyone.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Yes in alot of drafts but this draft is different. The deepest draft in years. There's players getting drafted in the high teens this year that would be top 10 any other year
I think that angle is overplayed personally, we hear that way more often than warranted. Only 2003 and 2015 qualify as those types of drafts in the last 20 years. This year could be similar but it’s not likely. Personally I am excited for the top 13-14 prospects and then think it drops off considerably (which is why I’m furious about the Arizona pick).

It’s possible one of those guys can drop to us at 18 but not likely. And obviously there will be a few players outside of that range that go on to have great careers but it’s very much a crapshoot figuring out who those guys are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad