Prospect Info: 2020 Ives Preliminary Draft Rankings -- Top 75

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 NHL Draft — Ives Final Top 75 Rankings
Okay, this is really important. If, in 2027, you want to argue with me about something we disagree on, make sure to reference everything I was wrong about here. Thanks!

[AUTHOR’S NOTE: the author did not include goalies in his rankings, because the author admits to knowing something between diddly and squat about scouting goaltenders. But yes, Askarov will be drafted in the first round.]
  1. LW Alex Lafreniere, Rimouski QMJHL future franchise stud with no weakness and historically impressive understanding of the game
  2. C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL best athlete in the draft has generational combination of size/skating/skill
  3. C/LW Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim DEL best skater in the draft and perhaps the best set of hands
  4. C Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL best two-way F in the draft is actually underrated in his dynamic offensive skill-set
  5. RD Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL electrifying offensive defenseman is eerily comparable to Cale Makar
  6. LD Jake Sanderson, US-NTDP USHL best defensive defenseman in draft is also elite skater; dominates all three zones essentially every shift
  7. LW/RW Lucas Raymond, Frolunda SHL speed/hands/vision combo only matched by Stutzle, immense Marner-like upside
  8. LW/C Cole Perfetti, Saginaw OHL hands/hockey IQ both top 3 in draft, will score at any level
  9. RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgardens SHL hands-down the best shooter in the draft, could win a Rocket Richard Trophy at NHL level
  10. RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL pure sniper also features a complete game, could be the Hossa of the 2020 class
  11. RW/C Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi QMJHL incredible puckhandling ability matched with complete, power game — a can’t miss top-6 stud
  12. C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL jaw-dropping, dynamic offensive skill-set, but injury woes knock him just out of top 10
  13. RW/C Seth Jarvis, Portland WHL a scoring machine who is scary good in the open ice
  14. LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Ufa KHL pure goalscorer also features complete, 200-foot game and high compete level
  15. RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia OHL combination of speed/shot/vision tops all the 2020 RWs — even Holtz, Quinn, Mercer, Jarvis and Gunler. But questions surrounding his complete game need to be answered.
  16. C Anton Lundell, HIFK Helsinki FIN complete two-way, high-intelligence big center also features a heavy shot and nice vision
  17. C/LW Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL lights-out shooter also features outstanding vision, a high compete-level and enviable two-way game
  18. LD Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert WHL physical, shut-down defenseman also can fly and features cannon from the point
  19. C Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Pete MHL ferocious and relentless center combines elite speed/skill mix and only lacks for size
  20. C Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL sure bet as a two-way, second line NHL center, maybe not dynamic but very offensively effective a la Bo Horvat
  21. RD Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL best combination of shut-down defensive/physicality in the 2020 class and also skates extremely well
  22. LW JJ Peterka, Munich DEL sick hands and goal-scoring instincts give him first-line NHL upside
  23. LW/C Dylan Holloway, University of Wisconsin NCAA prototypical power forward can fly and steamrolls anything in between himself and the net
  24. LD Ryan O’Rourke, Sault Ste. Marie OHL incredibly effective at every aspect of the game, an all-situations stud with great skates/physicality
  25. C/RW Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL his arsenal of shots are unstoppable and his vision is great; an improvement in his decent but unremarkable skating could see him become a star
  26. RW Martin Chromiak, Kingston OHL best Slovakian in 2020 class features mix of shooting/skating/size which is first-round worthy even in competitive draft year
  27. RW Noel Gunler, Lulea SHL the “Kaliyev” of 2020; rare shooting/skating combo only held back by attitude concerns and consistency issues
  28. RD Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL do-it-all defenseman with great size/skating would go higher if not for injury-riddled draft-eligible campaign
  29. LW Jake Neighbours, Edmonton WHL wolverine on skates plays every shift like his life depends on it and also features high-end vision
  30. LW Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park AJHL average size and skating are alleviated by ridiculous shot and on-ice awareness. This kid can shoot a pot roast through a lion’s den.
  31. RD Brock Faber, US-NTDP USHL most underrated defenseman in the entire draft by far, shut-down stalwart with great skates and offensive tools

ROUND TWO:

32) LW Lukas Reichel, Eisbaren Berlin DEL
incredibly smart winger and the king of the garbage goal, gets the most of his abilities
33) RW Sam Colangelo, Chicago USHL huge power forward with great shot and complete game
34) RW/C Tyson Foerster, Barrie OHL huge winger with an incredible shot plays a power game down low
35) C Evan Vierling, Barrie OHL most underrated forward in the draft, high-end offensive skills and fierce compete level give him big-time upside as a top 6 C; I can’t give this kid enough love and wish I could rank him higher
36) C Roni Hirvonen, Assat FIN undersized center is extremely fast, skilled and competitive, can be a high scoring NHL 2C if he stays up the middle
37) C Ridly Grieg, Brandon WHL the kid you least want to bet against, overcomes every inhibiting factor to dominate every shift
38) RW Tyler Tullio, Oshawa OHL smallish winger who just so happens to excel at every aspect of hockey you can think of
39) RW Ozzy Wiesblatt, Prince Albert WHL incredible skates mixed with incredible hustle and smarts make this kid a future second-line fan favorite
40) LD Emil Andrae, HV71 SWE Jr. cerebral defenseman defies size limitation with high compete-level and mature understanding of the game
41) C/W Tristen Robins, Saskatoon WHL speedy, skilled and smart and painfully overlooked, potential mid-round steal
42) LD Shakir Mukhamadullin, Salavat Ufa KHL combination of skating/shot/physicality only matched by Guhle, potentially a huge reward for the risk
43) LW Sean Farrell, Chicago USHL undersized winger features a ridiculous shot and tantalizing offensive skills, complete game needs development
44) RD Topi Niemela, Karpat FIN fast, offensively gifted blueliner draws parallels to 2019 first-rounder Lassi Thomson
45) C Vasily Ponomarev, Shawinigan QMJHL razor-sharp pivot with advanced understanding of the game, could have another offensive gear to hit
46) LD Tyler Kleven, US-NTDP USHL one can never go wrong with a huge, mobile, shut-down physical defenseman in the second round
47) RW/C Justin Sourdif, Vancouver WHL high-intellect forward excels in every respect but for straight-ahead speed
48) RD Donovan Sebrango, Kitchener OHL your prototypical two-way, all-situations defenseman with high-level smarts and skates
49) LD Daemon Hunt, Moose Jaw WHL a big defenseman with near-elite skating and excellent defensive acumen, can be more assertive offensively
50) C Brendan Brisson, Chicago USHL shifty, playmaking center is superlative at zone entries and reminds me a bit of Scott Gomez at the same age
51) LD Mitch Miller, Tri-City USHL skilled, offensive defenseman can fly and plays with an edge
52) RD Ian Moore, St. Mark’s USHS 6’2 defensemen who skate this well are extremely rare, so this raw prospect will go higher than most anticipate
53) LW Daniel Torgersson, Frolunda SWE Jr. huge with a good shot and complete game, could have untapped offensive upside
54) RW Luke Evangelista, London OHL two-way player with smarts and sneaky offensive skills, weight room would do wonders for him
55) C Ty Smilanic, US-NTDP USHL rare combination of elite skating and terrific size, dazzles in spurts, can be top-6 with more consistency
56) LW Brett Berard, US-NTDP USHL first round caliber offensive skill-set but 7th round size and needs to play less on the perimeter, high risk/reward
57) RD William Villeneuve, Saint John QMJHL finesse blueliner has a fully stocked tool box and NHL mid-pairing upside
58) LD Jeremie Poirier, Saint John QMJHL second-highest offensive upside among 2020 D hopefuls behind Drysdale, but needs to improve dramatically in his own zone and exponentially cut down the turnovers
59) LW Will Cuylle, Windsor OHL power forward can be the Zack Kassian of the 2020 class — super tough with requisite offense to skate with scorers
60) RW/C Jean-Luc Foudy, Windsor OHL one of the top skaters in the draft and a phenomenal passer; needs to refine his game around these elite tools
61) LD Alexander Nikishin, Spartak KHL best open-ice hitter in the entire 2020 class is also a good skater with a bomb of a shot; needs a lot of refinement but high-end upside as a physical, shut-down 20+ minute stalwart
62) LD Lucas Cormier, Charlottetown QMJHL speedy, small defender is terrific with the puck and in need of improvements without it

Honorable Mention:

63) C/LW Thomas Bordeleau, US-NTDP USHL
exceptional offensive skill will shine at NHL level if less time is spent on the perimeter
64) LD Yan Kuznetsov, University of Connecticut NCAA what you see is what you get, a physical and huge shut-down, stay at home D; Mr. Old School
65) C Jaromir Pytlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL huge body up the middle, a heavy shot and face-off force but middle-6 upside
66) RD Eamon Powell, US-NTDP USHL maybe the best skater of any D in the draft, very good offensively but could improve other dimensions of his game
67) LW Antonio Stranges, London OHL a human highlight reel with his insane skating and puckhandling, but also makes his coaches’ hair fall out
68) RD Helge Grans, Malmo SWE Jr. incredible combination of size and speed, big upside if he can refine several aspects of his game
69) LD Joni Jurmo, Jokerit FIN Jr. incredible combination of size and speed, big upside if he can refine several aspects of his game
70) LW Luke Tuch, US-NTDP USHL high floor as a cannonball net-crasher for your third line; does he share his brother’s offensive upside?
71) RW Ryder Rolston, Waterloo USHL high floor as a speed demon forechecker for your third line; does he share his father’s offensive upside?
72) RW Alex Laferriere, Des Moines USHL New Jersey native features an absolutely elite shot, if he makes strides in his game around it, look out
73) C Jack Finley, Spokane WHL 6’6 giant has NHL bloodlines and is one of the younger players in the draft class, extremely smart and has decent skill
74) C Cameron Tolnai, Ottawa OHL very intelligent player with terrific skates and skill just needs a chance to prove his ability
75) RD Mason Langenbrunner, Eden Prairie USHS flying under the radar is another NHL legacy, one that’s 6’2 and blindingly fast on his skates

P.S.
I’m saying this is my final rankings, but 2020 is insane so maybe I’ll update them right before the draft. Enjoy the playoffs, guys!

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Sheesh Steve, if you think Raymond is so highly coveted why wouldn’t we take him?

I Only say that because it doesnt really matter if he’ll develop longer if he ends up better - I still have my doubts Detroit takes Perfetti over Drysdale and Rossi

Edit; if ever there was a way to acquire pick 9 Id be all over it - get one of Raymond/Holtz to couple with Sanderson/Rossi and thats an insane draft

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sheesh Steve, if you think Raymond is so highly coveted why wouldn’t we take him?

I Only say that because it doesnt really matter if he’ll develop longer if he ends up better - I still have my doubts Detroit takes Perfetti over Drysdale and Rossi

Edit; if ever there was a way to acquire pick 9 Id be all over it - get one of Raymond/Holtz to couple with Sanderson/Rossi and thats an insane draft

Raymond's combination of skating/hands/vision is absolutely elite. I'm not too concerned with a 165-pound 17/18 year old not producing too well in the Swedish men's league. He's performed quite well in tournament play, and his upside is tremendous. If Raymond were in the CHL? I don't think he would have put up the video game numbers of a Rossi or Perfetti, but I think he would have been in the 90 point range.

Personally, I would not take Raymond over a defenseman like Drysdale or Sanderson, and I certainly would not take him over Rossi. But if the Devils' #7 pick came down to Raymond or Perfetti or Holtz? That's a tough call, but I think Raymond would be a very good choice there.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Raymond's combination of skating/hands/vision is absolutely elite. I'm not too concerned with a 165-pound 17/18 year old not producing too well in the Swedish men's league. He's performed quite well in tournament play, and his upside is tremendous. If Raymond were in the CHL? I don't think he would have put up the video game numbers of a Rossi or Perfetti, but I think he would have been in the 90 point range.

Personally, I would not take Raymond over a defenseman like Drysdale or Sanderson, and I certainly would not take him over Rossi. But if the Devils' #7 pick came down to Raymond or Perfetti or Holtz? That's a tough call, but I think Raymond would be a very good choice there.
Id love to move our Arizona pick+ for pick 9 and take Raymond/Holtz along with Sanderson/Rossi at 7

Next years draft will have a ton of busts with a lack of proper scouting in their draft years - may as well score twice in the top-10

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm hot to trot on Quinn, but I fear the rumors are correct and he'll be gone by 10.

I love Quinn, but I have a hard time seeing him going before #10 in this draft. Even if a team took him over a Holtz or Perfetti at #9, that would mean the Devils would get a Holtz or Perfetti at #10, so I'd be fine with it.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I love Quinn, but I have a hard time seeing him going before #10 in this draft. Even if a team took him over a Holtz or Perfetti at #9, that would mean the Devils would get a Holtz or Perfetti at #10, so I'd be fine with it.
My gut feeling is Quinn will be better than Holtz all-around. I think he has a higher ceiling than he's shown because he's a late bloomer and didn't get very serious about hockey till the last few years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Okay, this is really important. If, in 2027, you want to argue with me about something we disagree on, make sure to reference everything I was wrong about here. Thanks!

[AUTHOR’S NOTE: the author did not include goalies in his rankings, because the author admits to knowing something between diddly and squat about scouting goaltenders. But yes, Askarov will be drafted in the first round.]
  1. LW Alex Lafreniere, Rimouski QMJHL future franchise stud with no weakness and historically impressive understanding of the game
  2. C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL best athlete in the draft has generational combination of size/skating/skill
  3. C/LW Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim DEL best skater in the draft and perhaps the best set of hands
  4. C Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL best two-way F in the draft is actually underrated in his dynamic offensive skill-set
  5. RD Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL electrifying offensive defenseman is eerily comparable to Cale Makar
  6. LD Jake Sanderson, US-NTDP USHL best defensive defenseman in draft is also elite skater; dominates all three zones essentially every shift
  7. LW/RW Lucas Raymond, Frolunda SHL speed/hands/vision combo only matched by Stutzle, immense Marner-like upside
  8. LW/C Cole Perfetti, Saginaw OHL hands/hockey IQ both top 3 in draft, will score at any level
  9. RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgardens SHL hands-down the best shooter in the draft, could win a Rocket Richard Trophy at NHL level
  10. RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL pure sniper also features a complete game, could be the Hossa of the 2020 class
  11. RW/C Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi QMJHL incredible puckhandling ability matched with complete, power game — a can’t miss top-6 stud
  12. C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL jaw-dropping, dynamic offensive skill-set, but injury woes knock him just out of top 10
  13. RW/C Seth Jarvis, Portland WHL a scoring machine who is scary good in the open ice
  14. LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Ufa KHL pure goalscorer also features complete, 200-foot game and high compete level
  15. RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia OHL combination of speed/shot/vision tops all the 2020 RWs — even Holtz, Quinn, Mercer, Jarvis and Gunler. But questions surrounding his complete game need to be answered.
  16. C Anton Lundell, HIFK Helsinki FIN complete two-way, high-intelligence big center also features a heavy shot and nice vision
  17. C/LW Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL lights-out shooter also features outstanding vision, a high compete-level and enviable two-way game
  18. LD Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert WHL physical, shut-down defenseman also can fly and features cannon from the point
  19. C Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Pete MHL ferocious and relentless center combines elite speed/skill mix and only lacks for size
  20. C Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL sure bet as a two-way, second line NHL center, maybe not dynamic but very offensively effective a la Bo Horvat
  21. RD Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL best combination of shut-down defensive/physicality in the 2020 class and also skates extremely well
  22. LW JJ Peterka, Munich DEL sick hands and goal-scoring instincts give him first-line NHL upside
  23. LW/C Dylan Holloway, University of Wisconsin NCAA prototypical power forward can fly and steamrolls anything in between himself and the net
  24. LD Ryan O’Rourke, Sault Ste. Marie OHL incredibly effective at every aspect of the game, an all-situations stud with great skates/physicality
  25. C/RW Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL his arsenal of shots are unstoppable and his vision is great; an improvement in his decent but unremarkable skating could see him become a star
  26. RW Martin Chromiak, Kingston OHL best Slovakian in 2020 class features mix of shooting/skating/size which is first-round worthy even in competitive draft year
  27. RW Noel Gunler, Lulea SHL the “Kaliyev” of 2020; rare shooting/skating combo only held back by attitude concerns and consistency issues
  28. RD Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL do-it-all defenseman with great size/skating would go higher if not for injury-riddled draft-eligible campaign
  29. LW Jake Neighbours, Edmonton WHL wolverine on skates plays every shift like his life depends on it and also features high-end vision
  30. LW Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park AJHL average size and skating are alleviated by ridiculous shot and on-ice awareness. This kid can shoot a pot roast through a lion’s den.
  31. RD Brock Faber, US-NTDP USHL most underrated defenseman in the entire draft by far, shut-down stalwart with great skates and offensive tools

ROUND TWO:

incredibly smart winger and the king of the garbage goal, gets the most of his abilities
33) RW Sam Colangelo, Chicago USHL huge power forward with great shot and complete game
34) RW/C Tyson Foerster, Barrie OHL huge winger with an incredible shot plays a power game down low
35) C Evan Vierling, Barrie OHL most underrated forward in the draft, high-end offensive skills and fierce compete level give him big-time upside as a top 6 C; I can’t give this kid enough love and wish I could rank him higher
36) C Roni Hirvonen, Assat FIN undersized center is extremely fast, skilled and competitive, can be a high scoring NHL 2C if he stays up the middle
37) C Ridly Grieg, Brandon WHL the kid you least want to bet against, overcomes every inhibiting factor to dominate every shift
38) RW Tyler Tullio, Oshawa OHL smallish winger who just so happens to excel at every aspect of hockey you can think of
39) RW Ozzy Wiesblatt, Prince Albert WHL incredible skates mixed with incredible hustle and smarts make this kid a future second-line fan favorite
40) LD Emil Andrae, HV71 SWE Jr. cerebral defenseman defies size limitation with high compete-level and mature understanding of the game
41) C/W Tristen Robins, Saskatoon WHL speedy, skilled and smart and painfully overlooked, potential mid-round steal
42) LD Shakir Mukhamadullin, Salavat Ufa KHL combination of skating/shot/physicality only matched by Guhle, potentially a huge reward for the risk
43) LW Sean Farrell, Chicago USHL undersized winger features a ridiculous shot and tantalizing offensive skills, complete game needs development
44) RD Topi Niemela, Karpat FIN fast, offensively gifted blueliner draws parallels to 2019 first-rounder Lassi Thomson
45) C Vasily Ponomarev, Shawinigan QMJHL razor-sharp pivot with advanced understanding of the game, could have another offensive gear to hit
46) LD Tyler Kleven, US-NTDP USHL one can never go wrong with a huge, mobile, shut-down physical defenseman in the second round
47) RW/C Justin Sourdif, Vancouver WHL high-intellect forward excels in every respect but for straight-ahead speed
48) RD Donovan Sebrango, Kitchener OHL your prototypical two-way, all-situations defenseman with high-level smarts and skates
49) LD Daemon Hunt, Moose Jaw WHL a big defenseman with near-elite skating and excellent defensive acumen, can be more assertive offensively
50) C Brendan Brisson, Chicago USHL shifty, playmaking center is superlative at zone entries and reminds me a bit of Scott Gomez at the same age
51) LD Mitch Miller, Tri-City USHL skilled, offensive defenseman can fly and plays with an edge
52) RD Ian Moore, St. Mark’s USHS 6’2 defensemen who skate this well are extremely rare, so this raw prospect will go higher than most anticipate
53) LW Daniel Torgersson, Frolunda SWE Jr. huge with a good shot and complete game, could have untapped offensive upside
54) RW Luke Evangelista, London OHL two-way player with smarts and sneaky offensive skills, weight room would do wonders for him
55) C Ty Smilanic, US-NTDP USHL rare combination of elite skating and terrific size, dazzles in spurts, can be top-6 with more consistency
56) LW Brett Berard, US-NTDP USHL first round caliber offensive skill-set but 7th round size and needs to play less on the perimeter, high risk/reward
57) RD William Villeneuve, Saint John QMJHL finesse blueliner has a fully stocked tool box and NHL mid-pairing upside
58) LD Jeremie Poirier, Saint John QMJHL second-highest offensive upside among 2020 D hopefuls behind Drysdale, but needs to improve dramatically in his own zone and exponentially cut down the turnovers
59) LW Will Cuylle, Windsor OHL power forward can be the Zack Kassian of the 2020 class — super tough with requisite offense to skate with scorers
60) RW/C Jean-Luc Foudy, Windsor OHL one of the top skaters in the draft and a phenomenal passer; needs to refine his game around these elite tools
61) LD Alexander Nikishin, Spartak KHL best open-ice hitter in the entire 2020 class is also a good skater with a bomb of a shot; needs a lot of refinement but high-end upside as a physical, shut-down 20+ minute stalwart
62) LD Lucas Cormier, Charlottetown QMJHL speedy, small defender is terrific with the puck and in need of improvements without it

Honorable Mention:

exceptional offensive skill will shine at NHL level if less time is spent on the perimeter
64) LD Yan Kuznetsov, University of Connecticut NCAA what you see is what you get, a physical and huge shut-down, stay at home D; Mr. Old School
65) C Jaromir Pytlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL huge body up the middle, a heavy shot and face-off force but middle-6 upside
66) RD Eamon Powell, US-NTDP USHL maybe the best skater of any D in the draft, very good offensively but could improve other dimensions of his game
67) LW Antonio Stranges, London OHL a human highlight reel with his insane skating and puckhandling, but also makes his coaches’ hair fall out
68) RD Helge Grans, Malmo SWE Jr. incredible combination of size and speed, big upside if he can refine several aspects of his game
69) LD Joni Jurmo, Jokerit FIN Jr. incredible combination of size and speed, big upside if he can refine several aspects of his game
70) LW Luke Tuch, US-NTDP USHL high floor as a cannonball net-crasher for your third line; does he share his brother’s offensive upside?
71) RW Ryder Rolston, Waterloo USHL high floor as a speed demon forechecker for your third line; does he share his father’s offensive upside?
72) RW Alex Laferriere, Des Moines USHL New Jersey native features an absolutely elite shot, if he makes strides in his game around it, look out
73) C Jack Finley, Spokane WHL 6’6 giant has NHL bloodlines and is one of the younger players in the draft class, extremely smart and has decent skill
74) C Cameron Tolnai, Ottawa OHL very intelligent player with terrific skates and skill just needs a chance to prove his ability
75) RD Mason Langenbrunner, Eden Prairie USHS flying under the radar is another NHL legacy, one that’s 6’2 and blindingly fast on his skates

P.S.
I’m saying this is my final rankings, but 2020 is insane so maybe I’ll update them right before the draft. Enjoy the playoffs, guys!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Any chance you can make it an even 100 so there is a chance it covers NJ’s fourth round pick since NJ is sans a second and third round pick?

More importantly, Savoie’s pot roast is apparently tastier than Berard’s tuna? Do any of the draft eligible prospects play with vegetarian protein?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
good stuff as always. let’s say we have the following players available at #7: raymond, holtz, perfetti, rossi and quinn. which one of those players would you put money on to be the best goal scorer? all other attributes be damned, who is most likely to fill the net?

if we’re not picking a defenseman, that is a huge factor for me. i don’t want a project, i don’t want a cerebral, overly responsible player. i want an idiot that is only programmed to shoot, shoot, shoot.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
My picks for the Arizona pick
  1. RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL pure sniper also features a complete game, could be the Hossa of the 2020 class
  2. LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Ufa KHLpure goalscorer also features complete, 200-foot game and high compete level

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Any chance you can make it an even 100 so there is a chance it covers NJ’s fourth round pick since NJ is sans a second and third round pick?

More importantly, Savoie’s pot roast is apparently tastier than Berard’s tuna? Do any of the draft eligible prospects play with vegetarian protein?

Well, maybe I'll do a "final final" ranking before the draft. But I put more work into my draft ranking than anything else, because in the prospect/draft analysis world these lists follow you around forever.

If I do another, I'll try to eke in some vegan-friendly humor.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
good stuff as always. let’s say we have the following players available at #7: raymond, holtz, perfetti, rossi and quinn. which one of those players would you put money on to be the best goal scorer? all other attributes be damned, who is most likely to fill the net?

if we’re not picking a defenseman, that is a huge factor for me. i don’t want a project, i don’t want a cerebral, overly responsible player. i want an idiot that is only programmed to shoot, shoot, shoot.

If that were the case, I'd take Rossi and not even think twice about it. The kid's game is simply flawless. He's a complete player in every sense of the word and mixes that with an incredibly dynamic tool set.

However, your question was who is the best goal-scorer. The answer to that is Holtz. The kid can absolutely wire the puck and combines that with elite puck skills which enable him to constantly get the puck into prime scoring positions.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If that were the case, I'd take Rossi and not even think twice about it. The kid's game is simply flawless. He's a complete player in every sense of the word and mixes that with an incredibly dynamic tool set.

However, your question was who is the best goal-scorer. The answer to that is Holtz. The kid can absolutely wire the puck and combines that with elite puck skills which enable him to constantly get the puck into prime scoring positions.

Are those USDA Prime scoring positions and what predator would offer resistance?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My picks for the Arizona pick
  1. RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL pure sniper also features a complete game, could be the Hossa of the 2020 class
  2. LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Ufa KHLpure goalscorer also features complete, 200-foot game and high compete level

Amirov is one heck of a sniper, and he also features a very complete game. He's almost comparable to Quinn, but on the left side instead of the right. I like Quinn a bit better, but obviously they're both in my top 15 so I'm a fan of both players.

Personally, I think the Devils have a bit more of a need on the right than the left, so if they miss out on Quinn I'm really hoping for Dawson Mercer -- a very likely Devils target who does not get nearly enough love on these boards. If I had to pick a "favorite" player in the 2020 draft, he'd probably be right after Rossi. The kid's a beast.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

thanks! to be honest i don’t want to get too attached to rossi, because he may not be there at 7.

if, by some miracle, rossi and one of drysdale/sanderson were available at 7, i have no idea what i’d do. probably defenseman? we can’t really go wrong here.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Enjoy the rankings as always. Definitely a little curious about your opinion on Gunler, whom I am much higher on than most (have him ranked 8th), while you have him ranked 27th. Obviously we are each on an end of the extreme relative to his average ranking, but I am curious about what are the biggest negatives of his game that cause you to have this low ranking.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Enjoy the rankings as always. Definitely a little curious about your opinion on Gunler, whom I am much higher on than most (have him ranked 8th), while you have him ranked 27th. Obviously we are each on an end of the extreme relative to his average ranking, but I am curious about what are the biggest negatives of his game that cause you to have this low ranking.

Gunler's closest comparable in this particular draft is Jacob Perreault. Both are extremely toolsy RWs who can score like crazy, but both have had their compete levels and 200-foot games called into question. When Gunler was left off the Swedish WJC team to me it was shocking -- he is easily the third-most talented player in this class of Swedes after only Raymond and Holtz. I'm writing about hockey and not gossip, so I'm not going to go into the speculation, but let's just say Gunler's character has been called into question. Perreault was also left off the Canada WJC team, though it's different in the sense that Team Canada was absolutely stacked and Perreault is one of the youngest players in the 2020 draft class.

If we were to compare the tools of Perreault and Gunler, they have similar skill sets of being outstanding skaters and deadly shooters, but there is clear separation which favors Perreault. Gunler is a decent passer, whereas Perreault's vision is absolutely elite. Perreault is also a clearly superior skater, which is saying a lot because Gunler can really fly. The two aspects where I would rank Gunler over Perreault is that he is a little grittier and I'd say his shot is a hair better -- though again, they are both outstanding shooters.

I'm going to say outright that both Gunler and Perreault have star potential at the NHL level. But I cannot rightly rank them on the same level of a Jack Quinn -- who can score just as much as either of them and also plays with a higher and more consistent compete level while offering an outstanding two-way game. Dawson Mercer is another RW comparable, and although his tool kit would rank fourth of the four he played with the highest compete level, the greatest physicality and the highest intelligence of the aforementioned players.

Going back to Gunler specifically, I included him in my first round on the basis of his enormous upside. I have seen him listed in the second by multiple draft writers. But to rank him at #8 is a bold statement -- it's essentially crossing your fingers that a RW without the best physical tools and with a trio of huge questions concerning his 200-foot game, his hockey IQ and his character is somehow going to bypass a loaded forward class and become better than a great many draft-eligibles who -- right now -- are superior hockey players.

The comparison I've heard with both Perreault and Gunler is Arthur Kaliyev -- who last year fell to the second round of the draft (due to the same questions Perreault and Gunler confront) despite an absolutely dominating campaign in the CHL. But the difference is that Kaliyev dominated. Perreault was very good in the CHL and Gunler was decent in the SHL, but neither of them had the lights-out draft-eligible year that Kaliyev produced.

Where will Noel Gunler go on draft day? Well, we can all agree he's a wild card. Some teams will have him on "do not draft" lists. Other teams will have him as high as the #11-#15 range. I can speculate with some confidence that no one will have him at #8 overall -- because with all of the questions, he's extremely talented but not so prodigal as a Kaliyev or Perreault. I'm going to guess he goes in the #20-#30 range, but I'll leave a window open that Gunler can be taken as high as #12/#13 and as low as the mid-second round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
By the way, if anyone wants me to explain why I have the players ranked where I do, I welcome you to ask my reasoning. @RememberTheName just asked me a very interesting question about a player -- Noel Gunler -- whose rankings have been volatile, to say the least. But 2020 is a very interesting year. The draft class itself is intriguing and, due to the pandemic, we've had less time with which to analyze these prospects.

As for me, I have players ranked very early who have been left entirely off top 100 lists (Faber, Savoie, Verling) and there are players who did not come close to my list who I've seen ranked in first rounds. I work very hard on this list, and therefore I'm open to answering any of these types of questions.

glenwo2

LINDY RUFF NEEDS VIAGRA!!
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)

ROUND TWO:

Honorable Mention:

P.S.

I'm surprised you didn't put Sanderson at #3. :naughty::naughty::naughty:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Gunler's closest comparable in this particular draft is Jacob Perreault. Both are extremely toolsy RWs who can score like crazy, but both have had their compete levels and 200-foot games called into question. When Gunler was left off the Swedish WJC team to me it was shocking -- he is easily the third-most talented player in this class of Swedes after only Raymond and Holtz. I'm writing about hockey and not gossip, so I'm not going to go into the speculation, but let's just say Gunler's character has been called into question. Perreault was also left off the Canada WJC team, though it's different in the sense that Team Canada was absolutely stacked and Perreault is one of the youngest players in the 2020 draft class.

If we were to compare the tools of Perreault and Gunler, they have similar skill sets of being outstanding skaters and deadly shooters, but there is clear separation which favors Perreault. Gunler is a decent passer, whereas Perreault's vision is absolutely elite. Perreault is also a clearly superior skater, which is saying a lot because Gunler can really fly. The two aspects where I would rank Gunler over Perreault is that he is a little grittier and I'd say his shot is a hair better -- though again, they are both outstanding shooters.

I'm going to say outright that both Gunler and Perreault have star potential at the NHL level. But I cannot rightly rank them on the same level of a Jack Quinn -- who can score just as much as either of them and also plays with a higher and more consistent compete level while offering an outstanding two-way game. Dawson Mercer is another RW comparable, and although his tool kit would rank fourth of the four he played with the highest compete level, the greatest physicality and the highest intelligence of the aforementioned players.

Going back to Gunler specifically, I included him in my first round on the basis of his enormous upside. I have seen him listed in the second by multiple draft writers. But to rank him at #8 is a bold statement -- it's essentially crossing your fingers that a RW without the best physical tools and with a trio of huge questions concerning his 200-foot game, his hockey IQ and his character is somehow going to bypass a loaded forward class and become better than a great many draft-eligibles who -- right now -- are superior hockey players.

The comparison I've heard with both Perreault and Gunler is Arthur Kaliyev -- who last year fell to the second round of the draft (due to the same questions Perreault and Gunler confront) despite an absolutely dominating campaign in the CHL. But the difference is that Kaliyev dominated. Perreault was very good in the CHL and Gunler was decent in the SHL, but neither of them had the lights-out draft-eligible year that Kaliyev produced.

Where will Noel Gunler go on draft day? Well, we can all agree he's a wild card. Some teams will have him on "do not draft" lists. Other teams will have him as high as the #11-#15 range. I can speculate with some confidence that no one will have him at #8 overall -- because with all of the questions, he's extremely talented but not so prodigal as a Kaliyev or Perreault. I'm going to guess he goes in the #20-#30 range, but I'll leave a window open that Gunler can be taken as high as #12/#13 and as low as the mid-second round.
I appreciate the detailed response a lot, and personally, I agree with your assessment in a couple of ways on Gunler, mainly in the passing/IQ department. Gunler is a great player, but he very often forces bad passes and just plain throws the puck away far too much. He really needs to work on this aspect of his game if he wants to not be a turnover machine in the NHL.

There's a couple of areas I want to comment on. I disagree with the question concerning his 200 foot game. Every time I have seen him play, I can't seem to understand why people call this into question. He is fantastic at putting pressure on the puck (2 of his 4 goals came off of turnovers forced by doing this) and on the forecheck and the backcheck, and his overall defensive game to me looked quite poised for a teenager in a men's league. I also really like his size at 6'2". He is definitely physically underdeveloped but putting on muscle and increasing overall strength is one of the areas where I think all players can and will improve, so I don't usually hold this against draft eligible players. I think when he puts on some more muscle, he will look even better on the defensive end, as he will probably fill in the one missing gap in his current defensive play: the ability to play with physicality.

I in no way believe Kaliyev is a good comparison for Gunler. Kaliyev was ridiculously lazy and awful in the defensive zone, which I think is the exact opposite of Gunler. This brings up the topic of consistency as well, which I have heard people talking about. It's very hard for a player like Gunler to play a consistent, 100% game all of the time when you move from playing 20 minutes a game in the lower league to playing less than 10 minutes a game in the SHL. Not only is it a much tougher league, but he never gets the chance to actually fully adjust to the men's game and actually play consistent minutes like he is used to. I mean, he was essentially used as a 4th liner the entire year, there's not much he can do about that.

The character issues are very interesting to me. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about the issues, so I am not going to act like I am an expert on the topic. It seems to me like a lot of people have heard the situation has been blown a little out of proportion and they are not something to worry about. Obviously something to always be wary of and I am sure some NHL scouts know the ins of the problem, but for me, I am going to say its not too big of a deal. Its really quite unfortunate that this has lead to him not being able to prove himself at international tournaments, but I think had he gone, he would have performed quite well (obviously pure speculation on that).

I absolutely love Gunler's offensive game. He is a great skater, but can definitely improve a little bit still, but not really anything to worry about for me. His shot is absolutely beautiful for me. I love his quick, hard release and his one timer abilities that will make him wherever he shoots from in the offensive zone. He also just has this great ability to always be in high danger scoring areas to get his shot off, something that I believe will really help his game translate to the next level. I mentioned his passing ability as a concern earlier in relation to his IQ, but that's not to say he's a bad passer. He's actually still quite good. He does a good job of staying knowledgeable of his teammates at all times and making good overall plays. I will say, though, that he plays far too much like a pass first player and should play more like a shoot first player, given that his shot is the part of his game that makes him so effective. Once he starts doing that, I feel as though he will then break out as a player.

As for his potential, I think he is not necessarily boom/bust, as I think he at the very least should turn into a serviceable 3rd liner so long as he improves his physicality. But when I watch this kid play, man, his potential just looks through the roof for me. I think he will definitely be one of those players who will take a lot of time to develop, I am going to say 2 more years in the SHL, but I think if it all pans out, it will definitely be worth it. I have a little trouble putting my finger on an NHL comparison, maybe like Phil Kessel who plays a higher pressure game. I think when its all said and done, he should be a 35-30 kinda guy who can play a solid 200 foot game and be great on special teams, but I think he has a chance at hitting his max NHL potential of being a 40-40 player. My #8 ranking might be a little high relative to the norm, but hey, we all have our differing opinions which is what makes projecting these players just so interesting and enjoyable. This draft in my opinion is really good this year which definitely makes ranking players a lot harder than others

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm surprised you didn't put Sanderson at #3. :naughty::naughty::naughty:

This is obviously a big credit to the five players I ranked ahead of Sanderson.

In the 2019 draft, I thought there was one defenseman with Norris Trophy type upside (Bowen Byram) and one defenseman who was close (Moritz Seider). I ranked them #3 and #11, respectively.

This year, I think there are two defensemen with Norris-type upside in Drysdale and Sanderson, and although there are many other very good defense prospects (Guhle, Schneider and O'Rourke being the three standouts), there's no one else I can confidently say has that type of star potential.

I will say that if I were Detroit picking #4 overall, my choice would be exclusively between Rossi and Sanderson. Though the Wings have a very good future mid-pairing LD in Hronek and a very solid future mid-pairing prospect in McIsaac, Sanderson would give them the true #1 LD they sorely lack. Rossi of course would also be an obvious choice, as he would give them an electrifying 1/2 center punch with Dylan Larkin.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
:sarcasm: we can't be too sure about that. We need to draft him and find out!

Langenbrunner is a kid who could fall to the 6th or 7th round, and I think he would be a tremendous pick there. 6'2 defensemen with elite skating tools do not grow on trees. Sure, his game needs a lot of refining, but give him a few years in the NCAA and you could have a real gem on your hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad