WJC: 2020 IIHF WM U20 D2A in Vilnius, LITHUANIA (06.01. - 12.01.2020.)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like Japan will be promoted (Unless Lithuania wins out from where I sit). I can remember their yrs. at the top level of the World Jrs. So good to see them work their way back up.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Like ozo said, this pretty much played out exactly how everyone expected. Spain taking GB to OT was a surprise but it didn't have any impact on the standings.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Spain taking GB to OT should be a surprise but the coach is overhead (LOL IN D2A) so he somehow led them into that and it isn't that surprising.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
For you lot who've watched the tourney, how good as Iguchi been?
He is not really doing any better or worse than his less heralded teammates, but that is also due to lack of real competition in this tournament. I've seen every single Japanese forward at times skating through/around whole opposition rosters, so they might as well be skating around cones in those youtube promotional videos...

We have to wait for spring and U18 1A tournament, where Japan will be facing a real opposition including Slovakia.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
For you lot who've watched the tourney, how good as Iguchi been?
I agree with what ozo said. None of the Japanese forwards looked that impressive in the context of their teammates, Hanzawa has probably impressed me the most but only in the sense that I didn't really know him at all before. The key takeaway about Iguchi to me was that he is super small, he is the size of an average 12-year-old in Europe so his puck control skills or vision, albeit they are there, don't really matter in the world where we think about Johnny Gaudreau as small.

The question becomes at what speed they can execute and we won't get the answer until they play better competition.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Looks like another interesting game, GB throwing against Serbia as well, 2-2 after 2. The game isn't streamed on youtube though because some garbage Brittish sports broadcaster bought the rights at the last moment :ha:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well the game is streamed on freesports.tv and if you clicked on the link of Lithuanian hockey federation you would see the "this video is private" message.

Kw3ZzIl.png

Considering all the other games were streamed with 0 technical issues of any kind the writing is one the wall.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Well the game is streamed on freesports.tv and if you clicked on the link of Lithuanian hockey federation you would see the "this video is private" message.

All of the GB games have been on Freesports.tv so it's not a last minute thing.

I think they just messed something up during the delay. FreeSports would only impose a regional restriction, they wouldn't buy the rights to deny Serbian fans the ability to watch the broadcast.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Kw3ZzIl.png

Considering all the other games were streamed with 0 technical issues of any kind the writing is one the wall.

Try installing VPN, it will hide your IP.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How can you mess up something during the delay and subsequently not stream it at all? It seems hardly possible in any way.

It's weekend (more viewers by default) and this game only has meaning to Britts so 95% of people who wanted to watch the game would come from Brittain.

Of course, this is just speculation but it would seem more likely to me than something going terribly wrong during the 15-minute delay.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
How can you mess up something during the delay and subsequently not stream it at all? It seems hardly possible in any way.

It's weekend (more viewers by default) and this game only has meaning to Britts so 95% of people who wanted to watch the game would come from Brittain.

Of course, this is just speculation but it would seem more likely to me than something going terribly wrong during the 15-minute delay.

You think it's more likely that FreeSports TV bought the sole broadcasting rights for 1 game in a 5 game tournament, after they were eliminated from gold medal contention? In D2A?

Yes, incompetence is way more likely than that.

If it was simply a regional restriction like we've seen in the past, you might be on to something.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Pleasantly surprised how full the arena is this evening, shame the score is such a downer.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The game wasn't that bad, I think final score is pretty fair. We definitely weren't run out of the building but Japan is definitely better.

One game we could have definitely played better, looking back at it, was against GB but oh well.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to Japan on their promotion. Looking at their goal differential they were the best team in the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad