2020 HFNHL Draft Review - Arizona Coyotes

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
The HFNHL Arizona Coyotes kept it pretty balanced at the 2020 HFNHL Entry Draft. Selecting players from five different countries most notably Canada and Sweden. They did lean a little goaltender heavy selecting four goaltenders along with four defenders. They selected only three forwards but two of those were taken with their first two selections. Coyotes feel that they’ve been able to keep some real balance in their prospect depth chart possessing a wealth of forwards with top six potential and improved depth and talent on defense and in net.

Lucas Raymond – RW/LW – Frolunda HC (SHL) 5'10” 179
HFNHL: 1st Round – 8th Overall
NHL: 1st Round – 4th Overall by the Detroit Red Wings in 2020
Analysis: Lucas was highly projected as a consensus top five pick entering the 2020 HFNHL Draft season, however he had a bit of a down year dropping him in many rankings which allowed him to be the guy who would slip to number 8 for the Coyotes. Raymond is capable of playing both wings. He is also a dynamic offensive talent with many layers. He plays the game similar to another Swedish first round pick of the Coyotes in Mika Zibanejad. He is like a smaller, more dynamic, winger version of Zibanejad. Raymond provides both high level goal scoring and playmaking ability and has shown the ability to adapt to the situation he’s playing in. He also has a good compete level and a high motor. Going to the Red Wings organization in the NHL likely means Raymond is going to be on the fast track to playing a key role in the NHL as the Wings lack depth. This bodes well to Lucas’ short term and long term potential for the HFNHL Coyotes. Arizona lacks young top six scoring talent on the wings and his ability to fill a hole on the left side, or as Kessel ages the right side is valuable. Having both Raymond and Dominik Bokk capable of playing both wings speaks well to the Coyotes future up front providing flexibility in the top two lines in the future.

Luke Evangelista – RW – London Knights (OHL) 5’11” 180
HFNHL: 2nd Round – 39th Overall
NHL: 2nd Round – 42nd Overall by the Nashville Predators in 2020
Analysis: The HFNHL Coyotes have been able to track Evangelista’s development for the past few seasons. From coaching against him at the well known Toronto Marlboros tournament, to watching him play in the OHL to drafting him in the HFNHL Evangelista has shown the ability to overcome adversity. Scoring only two points in his rookie season, Evangelista broke out in his second season, similar to the way fellow HFNHL Coyotes prospect Connor McMichael broke out the previous year, he was able to increase his point totals by 59 en route to being selected 39th in the HFNHL Entry Draft and 42nd int he NHL Entry Draft. Evangelista has strong playmaking abilities and has really developed a well rounded game improving with his compete level and defensive game, drawing comparions from Knights coaches to former Knight Robert Thomas. The HFNHL Coyotes will look for Evangelista to develop into a secondary scoring threat who can hopefully contribute in different areas of the game beyond adding the team’s second wave of offensive production.

Daemon Hunt – LD – Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) 6’00” 184
HFNHL: 2nd Round – 57th Overall
NHL: 3rd Round – 65th Overall by the Minnesota Wild in 2020
Analysis: Hunt went through a frustrating NHL Draft season. After getting off to a strong start he had his arm sliced open by a skate blade causing him to miss almost two thirds of his season. Hunt rebounded and was selected in the second round of the HFNHL Entry Draft and was one of the first selections in the third round of the NHL Entry Draft. Hunt is a smooth skater who possesses excellent technique and very fluid. He has explosive acceleration and is a remarkably accurate passer. His point shot is just ok. Defensively Hunt is extremely consistent due to his skating ability and a good stick. What kept Hunt out of the top 50 in the HFNHL and NHL is lately his size. If he had his skills at 6’02” or 6’03”. With the game steadily getting more about speed and less about size, Hunt may be one of the new age defenders who is able to be solid defensively despite only standing at six feet tall. His offensive tools project him to be a guy who can play second pairing in all game situations when he reaches his potential in the HFNHL.

Jack Thompson – RD – Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 6’00” 181
HFNHL: 3rd Round – 70th Overall
NHL: 3rd Round – 93rd Overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2020
Analysis: When you draft a prospect outside the top two rounds who hit double digits in goals by January that’s a good sign. When that prospect is a defenseman, that’s a very good sign. Thompson is a skilled offensive defenseman with great offensive tools. He has great calm and hockey sense which allows him to make plays on the offensive side of the red line. His shot is accurate and hard and is the reason why he’s been able to score at such a strong rate at every level he’s played at. Although changes to the Wolves power play in the new year had a negative effect on Jack’s point production with the man advantage which ultimately caused his draft stock to drop a little bit, Jack maintained focused and committed on playing with consistency. His defensive game is just ok and will need to further improve before he goes pro but has the upside to be a second pairing defenseman who contributes on the power play.

Kim Nousiainen – LD – KalPa (liiga) 5’10” 170
HFNHL: 3rd Round – 75th Overall
NHL: 4th Round – 119th Overall by the Los Angeles Kings in 2019
Analysis: Nousiainen went undrafted at the 2019 HFNHL Entry Draft but was picked up by the Los Angeles Kings in 2019. The HFNHL Coyotes made him a third round selection after he had a breakout season at the professional level with 19 points in 51 games played in his first full season in the men’s division. He also participated in the World Junior Championships where he finished second in defenseman scoring for Finland behind only first round prospects Ville Heinola. Nousiainen is a smooth and explosive skater with excellent speed and utilizes the larger ice in Finland very well. He has good puck control and hockey sense to create scoring chances and is a smart, accurate passer. He projects as an offensive defenseman, but will need to improve his defensive game. He is a bit of a project but has a lot of upside if he can round out his game.

Dylan Garand – G – Kamloops Blazers (WHL) 6’01” 185
HFNHL: 3rd Round – 86th Overall
NHL: 4th Round – 103rd Overall by the New York Rangers in 2020
Analysis: Dylan has lower end size for an HFNHL goaltending prospect, but he compensates for it with great quickness, smooth, fluid lateral movement and great reaction time. He anticipates the play well which helps him move around his crease comfortably. Garand reminds us a lot of HFNHL Florida Panthers goaltending prospect Michael DiPietro, where his size isn’t ideal for the NHL game but his skill level is high enough he gives himself a chance. However at this point Garand has an inch in height over DiPietro and also had better numbers at the same age in the CHL, which looks promising for his future. What also looks promising for his future is the NHL’s New York Rangers goaltending depth chart. The NHL Rangers have two good young goaltenders in Georgiyev and Shestyorkin, however after that their next two in line are HFNHL Coyotes prospect netminders Tyler Wall and Garand which should create a lot of opportunity for him once he is ready to take on the NHL game. Garand is one of those few players who’s value has actually gone up since the 2020 HFNHL Draft due to his NHL situation.

Will Cranley – G – Ottawa 67’s (WHL) 6’04” 185
HFNHL: 5th Round – 127th Overall
NHL: 6th Round – 163rd Overall by the St. Louis Blues in 2020
Analysis: From Garand who will have to overcome his size, to Cranley who has ideal size for the net, Cranley the 6’04” netminder has learned a lot from veteran goaltenders in the league going to the OHL Championship in his first year and then performing respectably in his sophmore season. Cranley is technically sound and steady in the net. He won’t beat you with his quickness, but he will be steadily positioned with excellent size making him tough to beat. Cranley is in the opposite situation as Garand where the NHL St. Louis Blues goaltending depth chart is loaded with talent and depth, so he will be expected to take the long route to becoming a regular HFNHL goaltender. He’s a big goaltender without a lot of OHL games and is a guy we believe will really prove to be a very valuable pick as he develops.

Arvid Holm – G – Farjestad BK (SHL) 6’04” 216
HFNHL: 5th Round – 132nd Overall
NHL: 6th Round - 167th Overall by the Winnipeg Jets in 2017
Analysis: Arvid is one of those goaltenders who take a little time to develop. When NHL’s Winnipeg Jets selected him he was a solid J20 in the following year then had a respectable season in Sweden’s second league. This past season he exploded with Farjestad BK with a 2.27 GAA and .915 SV%. Those numbers were good enough to put him in the top 10 in both stats; only one of 8 goaltenders at the top level of Sweden to do so. This prompted the NHL Jets to sign Holm. However due to the pandemic, Holm has been loaned back to the SHL until professional hockey can re-start in North America. Holm is caught behind current NHL Vezina winner Hellebuyck and HFNHL starter Darcy Kuemper, however if he can continue to develop he could turn into solid #2 option in net a few years down the road.

Adam Edstrom – FWD – Rogle BK (SHL) 6’06’ 212
HFNHL: 6th Round – 163rd Overall
NHL: 6th Round - 161st Overall by the New York Rangers in 2019
Analysis: In a draft where the HFNHL Coyotes have gone with a lot of small players, Edstrom is a polar opposite. Edstrom is a huge 6’06” forward who plays a hard, heavy game and will drive the net. He has a good shot and skates decently well for a player of his monstrous size. Adam has never represented Sweden at an international event which may be why he has been able to fly under the radar. Adam was in the top 10 in forward points among U20 players in the SHL joining fellow HFNHL Coyotes Dominik Bokk and Lucas Raymond on that list. He will need to fill out his frame and continue to work on his skating to prepare himself for the move to North America, but his upside is very promising as a future power winger.

Hunter Skinner – RD – London Knights (OHL) 6’03” 191
HFNHL: 6th Round – 165th Overall
NHL: 4th Round – 112nd Overall by the New York Rangers in 2019
Analysis: Hunter Skinner made the jump to the OHL from the USHL this season and saw some success in the league. He finished third on the Knights blueline for points behind two 60+ point defensemen in Regula and Merkley. He is a right shot defenseman who used to be a smaller skilled forward. With the addition of his size and a move to the blue line he is now an offensive defender with a physical edge to him. He should have a good chance to continue his development in a top pairing role with the Knights as potentially their #1 defenseman this coming season.

Frederik Dichow – G – Malmo Redhawks J20 (J20 SuperElit) 6’05” 192
HFNHL: 6th Round – 169th Overall
NHL: 5th Round – 138th Overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 2019
Analysis: Dichow is a huge goaltender from Denmark who was selected in the NHL by the Montreal Canadiens in the previous year. He has size and good vision, capable of following the play well. His consistency is a bit of a concern as one game he can steal it for his team, the next he can give up a couple he would have liked to have. So more consistency is needed before he will see success at the next level. Dichow will hope to be the next incarnation of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen when the OHL resumes play as he has signed to play with the Sudbury Wolves this season. Until then he will play for the Rungsted Seier Capital of the Danish top Men’s League.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
On draft day, we had a deal for me to move up to 8 - because I was a little worried that Nick would take Jarvis at 9 - one of the main reasons I didn't was Raymond. I didn't want to be that guy that moved up and took the wrong player and I think Raymond is awesome. Should I have done the move and taken Raymond? Probably but I was set on Jarvis.

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
On draft day, we had a deal for me to move up to 8 - because I was a little worried that Nick would take Jarvis at 9 - one of the main reasons I didn't was Raymond. I didn't want to be that guy that moved up and took the wrong player and I think Raymond is awesome. Should I have done the move and taken Raymond? Probably but I was set on Jarvis.

It's interesting cause had you jumped up and taken Raymond, I would have had a tough decision between Quinn and Jarvis because I really liked both of them.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Ill be following Raymonds career closely. Had it just been me, an i had 4 and 6 it would have been Drysdale, and Raymond. However, i brought my AGM in for a reason so i went with his gut in Perfetti. Hopefully works out for both of us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad