Tyce Thompson
Janne Kuokkanen
Reilly Walsh
Daniil Misyul
Nico Daws

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Merkley add Maltsev

lol, there are still a bunch of good prospects that are not even in the poll.

This didn’t happen years past but I am legitimately interested in all 10 guys that we can still vote on. We have a very diverse talent pool.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would remove Kukkoanen from top-10, the start of his season will not be called entertaining. Daws is the maximum backup for me with one good year. Walsh has a lot of competition for the position of defenseman of the third pair / PP 2nd unit. And too little ability to play defense. His only advantage in the system is its right-handedness. Which helps him a lot. He will have time and practice in the PP in the AHL. Misyul is not showing a bad game this year, but not show anything outstanding or even flashy, bold, initiative in this season, coaches don't trust him.
I would replace these guys with Merkley, Bastian and Gritsyuk(ofcourse) in top-10 and Zaytsev as 11th candidate. I wanted to collect material on Misyul, but I can't form a clear opinion about him yet. So there will more information about Zaitsev ahead. Devils fans should learn more about their aggressive defensman with good starting speed and all-round defensive talents.
And the next one from me is Aarne. He had rough year before, but there were circumstances. I still believe he was made by grit. I read he is better now and i think he is one or two year from being regular nhl player.

Vote for Gritsyuk.

Devil damn i forgot about Sharnagovich. We have great pool of young talent.

Last edited:

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
Do you think we'll poll more than 20 prospects this year? There was one year we went to 25, and that year we just did a poll where people listed their next 5 prospects and that's how we came up with the last 5. It seems like we have the quality this year to do it again.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Do you think we'll poll more than 20 prospects this year? There was one year we went to 25, and that year we just did a poll where people listed their next 5 prospects and that's how we came up with the last 5. It seems like we have the quality this year to do it again.

I believe we could go to 30 prospects and still have guys left that we took this year. Just extraordinary.

Reactions: Beastdog75

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm going to go until the pre-season starts or until we run out of prospects, or until I'm just too sick of doing it :)

Honestly, I'm thinking 25 minimum.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Alright, sell me on your guy folks.

I am open to any of the following: Merkely, Moynihan, Okhotyuk, Bastian, Sharangovich, or Gritsyuk.

Honestly, it's pretty much a toss-up for me among these players.

Merkely is a former late 1st rounder, though going back to the 2015 (Zacha) draft. His PPG average in the WHL actually went down each of his two post-draft seasons, though his AHL numbers have been decent. He had a goal and an assist in 4 games with NJ last year and is off to a good start with 9 points in 12 games in the Finnish Elite League (4th on his team). He's not waivers exempt, so figure there's a good chance he at least starts the season in NJ, but it's time to show he's an NHL player.

Personally, I like Moynihan a lot. He was "only" a 6th round draft pick and has just one post-draft season, putting up a very respectable 21 points (13 goals) in 34 games as a freshman at Providence College. Scott Wheeler has him projected as the 4th line RW on the USA WJC team and notes that Moynihan is "one of the more underrated players from that famed 2001 age group." I feel like he can shoot up this list next year.

Okhotyuk is so hard to get a read on, as he's more of a defensive defenseman. Played on a very strong Ottawa 67's team and saw his point total increase by 2 in 17 fewer games due to injury. He did not play in the WJC's for Russia, though they've been known to lean more towards players that stay in Russia versus those that go overseas. Seems like most of the reports on his progression since the draft are positive.

Bastian saw his points drop in his D+1 season in the OHL, though that seems to be more due to being split from McCloud and being tried out at center that season. His point totals in the AHL have steadily gotten better and I believe he was viewed as the MVP of the Binghamton Devils last season. He also looked solid in his brief stint in 2018-2019 with NJ and could fill a role as a power forward / net front presence that was vacated by players like Maroon and Simmonds. As with Merkley, Bastian is not waiver exempt this season so he also has an inside track to starting off the season in NJ.

Sharangovich was drafted as an overager and doesn't have great point totals his first two seasons in Binghamton, though I know he got hot and accumulated most of his points down the stretch last season before play was suspended. He's kept it going so far this season in the KHL and I believe is now 3rd in the league in goals, albeit in a season where many players have had to sit out at times due to COVID. If he keeps going at this pace though, he makes a strong push to make the team.

Gritsyuk has had a lot of great press lately with his play this season and, as with Moynihan, is a late round draft pick from just over a year ago so is going based largely on potential. Wheeler currently has him listed as an extra on the Russia WJC team, but I feel like there's a good chance he makes it. He even acknowledges that "I worry, though, that some of the names in my extras could creep into prominent roles at the expense of more skill, which will put a lot of pressure on Askarov and their big guns up front."

I could see ranking them in just about any combination, as I feel that they are all very close. I went with Bastian as I feel that he can carve out a role in the NHL, a little moreso than Merkley, though I can see the allure of other players that have a higher ceiling.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm going to go until the pre-season starts or until we run out of prospects, or until I'm just too sick of doing it :)

Honestly, I'm thinking 25 minimum.

I think we still have some solid prospects with a decent chance of playing in the NHL well into the 30's, so hoping this list goes on as long as possible.

Reactions: Beastdog75

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I think we are way down on Graeme Clarke, He has such a good skillset I feel like his ceiling is high. Him not playing much last year stunk, but he has a 20-25 goal scorer skillset if he can be an average NHL skater.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think we are way down on Graeme Clarke, He has such a good skillset I feel like his ceiling is high. Him not playing much last year stunk, but he has a 20-25 goal scorer skillset if he can be an average NHL skater.

Clarke is another example of a guy that will almost certainly fall outside our top 20 but still has legitimate potential to be a good NHL player.

Reactions: HBK27

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Clarke is another example of a guy that will almost certainly fall outside our top 20 but still has legitimate potential to be a good NHL player.

Really emphasizes to me how many NHL prospects we have, I really like Clarke because his skillset is very good, but so many other prospects in this system have potential to be full time nhl players so I get being low on him based on not seeing a lot last year.

Reactions: Blackjack

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think we're down on him. He's in the list before Studenic, Zettterlund, and Vukojevic. Daws was the best goalie in the OHL last year and he was just picked at #11.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This really shows how deep of a prospect pool we have...ultimately voted for Clarke because I think he has the highest ceiling out of anyone left on the list.
while i can see the argument you make, clarke is a long shot to have a role on the devils mid term.

not only does he come back from a serious injury, he got also passed on the depth chart by other prospects, which could play his role of a shooting rw. i expect both holtz and thompson to get the first looks on the scoring lines by the coaching staff. for a more defensive assignments there are also other (better, more polished) options in mercer, merkley, bastian and potentially moynihan. after the draft rw probably is the deepest position of the devils prospect pipeline with a very nice mix of player types. i could see a few of them in play for trades to fill other roster needs or in case of mercer, that he is developed to play center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad