Prospect Info: 2020 HF-Panthers top prospects vote, #1

Who is the Panthers #1 ranked prospect?

• F - Aleksi Saarela (2015, #89), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D - Max Gildon (2017, #66), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

• D - Vladislav Kolyachonok (2019, #52), Dinamo Minsk (KHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
2019 top 25 list

Prospects included in the vote (25yo or under, and under contract or rights owned by the team):

Forwards: Tippett, Denisenko, Heponiemi, Noel, Hutsko, Ang, Lammikko, Schwindt, Abols, Schütz, Bajkov, Rybinski and Lindmark.
New forwards: Borgstrom (returns after skipping 2019, because he didn't make the team after all..), Saarela, Luostarinen, Bowlby, Lundell, Heineman, Smilanic, Sourdif and Ekmark.

D-men: Gildon, Kolyachonok, Stillman, Keeper, Kinnunen, Ludvig, Inamoto, Berger, Massie and Krygier.
New d-men: Priskie, Rauhauser, Benning, Uens and Puutio.

Goalies: Knight, Montembeault and Bednard.
New goalie: Levi.

22 forwards, 15 d-men and 4 goalies all together.

Removed forwards: Hunt (UFA), Repo (UFA/contract terminated), Bachman (UFA), Pu (traded), Meireles (AHL contract) and Wedman (AHL contract).
Removed d-men: Schemitsch (UFA), Finkelstein (UFA) and Nässén (UFA).

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I tried to pick the first 7 based on who maintained their level close to last year's performance and were near the top, then guys who I'm expecting to rise near the top. Remember to vote for the next player to be added to the poll by replying to this thread.

Here's a guideline I posted last year on how to decide who to vote:

Forgot to mention it, but in previous years I've suggested weighting potential and how close the prospect is to making the NHL as a guideline. People have different views when evaluating prospects; some put more emphasis on pure potential, while others value what the prospect has shown so far. I don't want to chain the opinions to a single view, so it's up to everyone to judge the prospects the way they want to.

I can give an example of how I compare the prospects. For example Denisenko and Knight have huge potential, probably the two highest out of all our prospects, but Denisenko has struggled in the KHL and Knight is still yet to play at a high level (NCAA), so I can't put them at the top. Meanwhile Tippett and Heponiemi had solid seasons and I don't see a reason to drop them (Tippett was 2nd, Hepo ahead of Denisenko IIRC, on my 2018 list). Noel and Bednard are probably my biggest risers compared to last year, although I haven't thought past the top3 yet.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tippett for me, @FormerPantherFan , shocking I know.
He's most NHL ready imo and will likely play more games than Denisenko this year.
As for who will have a better career, I'd prefer to see them play at least 100 games to judge further.
I get Deni played in a pro league but he was limited in the amount of games.
And it's not like the AHL isn't a good judge of talent for Tippett, he did well there before injury.

Thanks for doing this @SoupyFIN

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Prospects left to be added to the vote:

F - Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40), MODO Hockey (HockeyAllsvenskan)
F - Serron Noel (2018, #34), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Logan Hutsko (2018, #89), Boston College (NCAA)
F - Jonathan Ang (2016, #94), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Juho Lammikko (2014, #65), Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)
F - Cole Schwindt (2019, #81), Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
F - Rodrigo Abols (2016, #184), Örebro HK (SHL)
F - Justin Schütz (2018, #170), EC Salzburg (IceHL)
F - Patrick Bajkov (undrafted), Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL)
F - Henrik Rybinski (2019, #136), Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
F - Owen Lindmark (2019, #137), Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)
F - Henrik Borgström (2016, #23), HIFK (Liiga)
F - Eetu Luostarinen (2017, #42), KalPa (Liiga) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Henry Bowlby (undrafted), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Emil Heineman (2020, #43), Leksands IF (SHL)
F - Ty Smilanic (2020, #74), Quinnipiac Univ. (NCAA)
F - Justin Sourdif (2020, #87), Vancouver Giants (WHL)
F - Elliot Ekmark (2020, #198), Linköping HC (SHL)

D - Riley Stillman (2016, #114), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Brady Keeper (undrafted), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Santtu Kinnunen (2018, #207), Tappara (Liiga)
D - John Ludvig (2019, #69), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Tyler Inamoto (2017, #133), Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)
D - Carter Berger (2019, #106), Univ. of Connecticut (NCAA)
D - Jake Massie (2015, #156), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Cole Krygier (2018, #201), Michigan State Univ. (NCAA)
D - Chase Priskie (2016, #177), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Alec Rauhauser (undrafted), DVTK Jegesmedvék (Slovakia) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Michael Benning (2020, #95), Univ. of Denver (NCAA)
D - Zach Uens (2020, #105), Merrimack College (NCAA)
D - Kasper Puutio (2020, #153), Kärpät (Liiga)

G - Samuel Montembeault (2015, #77), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
G - Ryan Bednard (2015, #206), Charlotte Checkers (AHL) / Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL)
G - Devon Levi (2020, #212), Northeastern Univ. (NCAA) / Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL)

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
OT, and I don't think it's really close.

Seen the guy play a handful of OHL games live, and then watched all of his 2018 World Junior where he was on Canada's top line. His shot is deadly, as his his offensive awareness. In 2018, he worked tirelessly on his defensive game and it really showed. Very responsible on the defensive end. Last season I think he showed everyone he can step up and play with big boys in the AHL. Despite injuring his wrist around the All-Star break, he ended up leading the team in scoring. Now let's see what he can do in the Show.

I'll go a step further and say he wins Rookie of the Year this season.

Add Ludvig

Reactions: KapG

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Knight, he has the highest upside of any of our prospects, his numbers as a freshman in ncaa were incredible. None of our other prospects have had a d+1 season as impressive as his. He's also probably not that far from being nhl ready, even though he may be held in the ahl longer to be extra careful.

Add Stillman

Reactions: RogerRoger

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I went with Tippett because of his strong pro debut.

Add Stillman.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Knight has the highest upside but he’s also a goalie which can be meh. I’m still going to go with Knight though because he has franchise goalie potential and none of the others have franchise tags.

Reactions: pantherbot

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
How the heck is Lundell not winning by a mile?

Spencer Knight

-Hockey East Second Team All-Star
-Unanimous selection as a Hockey East All-Rookie
-won Norman F. Dailey Award as BC's MVP(shared with David Cotton)
-NCAA Rookie of the Month(November) and Goaltender of the Month(December)
-Tied for 3rd in nation with 5 SO
-9th in nation in GAA(1.97) and SV% (.931)
-Finished the season with a 8-0-1 streak

Spencer says hold my beer

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Knight or Tippett? And then someone pointed out Lundell and he's definitely also an option... IDK, I guess it depends on what you value the most - readiness, upside, probability they reach said upside, do you consider position? Plus there's Denisenko - @TheImpatientPanther - I still love him but his KHL play probably pushes him to 3-4 to me on our prospect list (the other three guys had very successful seasons last year/are having a great start of the year).

Going with a "safe" choice and voting Tippett but I don't think there's a wrong choice here really.

Add Ludvig.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Knight or Tippett? And then someone pointed out Lundell and he's definitely also an option... IDK, I guess it depends on what you value the most - readiness, upside, probability they reach said upside, do you consider position? Plus there's Denisenko - @TheImpatientPanther - I still love him but his KHL play probably pushes him to 3-4 to me on our prospect list (the other three guys had very successful seasons last year/are having a great start of the year).

Going with a "safe" choice and voting Tippett but I don't think there's a wrong choice here really.

Add Ludvig.

yeah I think it depends on what you're looking for in a prospect. For me, I'm looking for upside with my higher end prospects so Knight gets my vote. I see Tippett as more of a 2nd line, possible 1st line winger. Lundell looks set to be a 2C. Knight could be a franchise level talent.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think Knight will be Stellar in the NHL.

One can only hope he sees the success that Bob has had in his career :sarcasm:

**Cue about a zillion Bob sucks comments**

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Surprised nobody loving Deni. Feel like some were higher on him than Tippett not too long ago.

Also surprised @violaswallet wasn't the first pick for Lundell, he's probably disappointed in you and will score another hatter tomorrow
I already ordered my Lundell 15 retirement banner to go with my Luongo one
Spencer Knight

-Hockey East Second Team All-Star
-Unanimous selection as a Hockey East All-Rookie
-won Norman F. Dailey Award as BC's MVP(shared with David Cotton)
-NCAA Rookie of the Month(November) and Goaltender of the Month(December)
-Tied for 3rd in nation with 5 SO
-9th in nation in GAA(1.97) and SV% (.931)
-Finished the season with a 8-0-1 streak

Spencer says hold my beer
Assistant captain in D+1 season for a men’s team/4 goal game in the Liiga/started his Liiiga career at 16/Solid WJC in D-1 season

I love Knight but he is quite risky and his international play has not been stellar which I want to see in a goalie

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Tippett 1a / Knight 1b, due to the fact that Tip is closer to providing the team a more immediate return,

Add Eetu, due to his current performance and the Cats the need to reinforce the C position...I'd like to say Borg here but he is still too much of a question mark for me.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Big tree trunk legs propel him and he's deceivingly fast for a bigger guy.
He is physical when need be, has some good playmaking ability and the dangles to get around opponents and that laser beam shot.
Hopefully keeps working on that one timer, we will need it on the PP going forward.

Ya he won't be a stud defensively but I think he will be good enough.
So pumped for him.

Reactions: Ghoste and Cold Cat

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I already ordered my Lundell 15 retirement banner to go with my Luongo one

Assistant captain in D+1 season for a men’s team/4 goal game in the Liiga/started his Liiiga career at 16/Solid WJC in D-1 season

I love Knight but he is quite risky and his international play has not been stellar which I want to see in a goalie

I disagree, Knight is not risky at all. He looks like a pretty safe bet to be an nhl goalie. With quite a few things going for him that would make him successful. He has great reflexes/athleticism, he is known to have a very strong mental game/forgets about bad goals immediately, he's calm and composed. He also has great size for a goalie, being 6'3" and 192 lbs. He has more tools for success than most nhl goalie prospects. Yes he's a goalie and goalies are inherently more risky, but Knight has about as many failsafes as you can ask for.

Knight's international play has been above average as a whole. His last wjc-20 wasn't up to his usual level, but still very respectable for an 18 year old. The U.S. team was in disarray though. They had terrible coaching and line combos were thrown together without any rhyme or reason. Last year was a huge missed opportunity for the U.S. Knight wasn't supported as well as he could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad