Patriots/NFL 2020 - Football is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So, how are people feeling about the 2020 Patriots at this point?

8-8

I think we’ll see some promising things from some of the younger guys and they’ll be competitive in most games. It’s a passing league and they probably have the best secondary in football, that will win games by itself

Then they’ll be back to being great the next season

Could easily see 10-6 or 6-10 though. They’ve got to be the most unpredictable team in football at this point.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Best Case Scenario: Stidham plays well, shows he has potential to be a franchise QB, and they sneak into the playoffs.

Second Best Case Scenario: Stidham sucks, team has a bad year due to a more difficult schedule than 2019, and Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance is their QB in 2021

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Think they’ll be competitive. More looking forward to 2021 after hopefully a more productive free agency period and another draft.
If they get reasonably good QB play, I think they can be pretty decent.

OL should be improved if they can stay healthy. Seem to have more depth, as well. No more Marshall Newhouse at LT. :)

WRs should be better if Sanu and Harry can get healthy. Interesting competition for the 4th and 5th WR slots.

TEs couldn't possibly be less productive, right?

DL looks largely the same... with the exception of Beau Allen in for Danny Shelton.

Interesting competition at LB as to who gets to replace Van Noy and Collins. Would have to figure they'd like it to be Uche and Winovich, but not sure Uche especially is ready.

Secondary might actually be improved depending on how quickly kids like Dugger and Williams come along.

Reactions: CDJ

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really loved the two TE sets they ran with Gronk and Hernandez... I hope this kids are legit and they go back to that.

I think this team has the chops to hit 10 wins. They'll customize the schemes a bit to help Stidham's progression and I think the defense will still be elite.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I really loved the two TE sets they ran with Gronk and Hernandez... I hope this kids are legit and they go back to that.

I think this team has the chops to hit 10 wins. They'll customize the schemes a bit to help Stidham's progression and I think the defense will still be elite.

The more and more I watch dalton keene the more I like reaching a bit for him

he’s really good after the catch. They didn’t really have him run a bunch of routes, he was more Of a check down guy. But he has great athleticism for a TE and he’s probably a bright kid if he went to Va Tech. Hopefully we can use his tools more effectively

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
11. BRIAN LEWERKE, Michigan State (6-2 ½, 213, 4.96, 6-7): Lewerke’s NFL passer rating of 79.7 was the poorest of the top 12 quarterbacks. His best year was 2017, his first season as a starter, when his rating was 88.1. “He’s got some talent but he had a terrible, terrible year,” said one scout. “He looked good in 2017. Then he had a rough year in 2018 and this year was awful. It’s like he had the yips. He couldn’t make routine throws. It was tough to watch. Can he play better? Yes, but if you have to make a decision right now I’m saying he’s not going to be a good NFL player.” He rushed for a career-high 559 yards in 2017, finishing with 1,255 on the ground. “He got worse each time I saw him,” said a second scout. “He looks scared to death back there. I’d take him over (Shea) Patterson. He’s a big guy, and he’s mobile. He can run around. The coaches say he’s a terrific person.” Lewerke is from Phoenix, scored a Wonderlic of 25 and has the largest hands (10 5/8) of the group.

Reactions: BMC and EvilDead

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Jeff Thomas is an interesting kid. Super talented, but he's got some off-the-field issues. Patriots seem to be adding a bunch of quick twitch, smaller slot receivers.

276. Jeff Thomas, WR, Miami (Fla.) (5-9, 170)
Former head coach Mark Richt got tired of his repeated issues and booted him from the team towards the end of the 2018 season. Although head coach Manny Diaz welcomed him back, he was suspended by his second coaching staff midway through his junior year (NFL Scout: “He’s bright and not a bad kid at all. But he’s unpredictable because of his immaturity. If he ever grows up or a coach figures out what motivates him, look out.”). Overall, Thomas is an electric athlete with the light-footed acceleration and ball-tracking skills to be a splashy NFL playmaker, but he is undersized and most NFL coaches won’t tolerate his lack of maturity, projecting as a borderline draft pick.

And here he torches an LSU secondary full of future NFLers.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
258. Trevon Hill, Edge, Miami (Fla.) (6-3, 248)
Hill has enough edge athleticism to impact the pocket and shows the foot quickness to drop and play in space. But he doesn’t have the body type or power to control the point of attack and there are coachability concerns. Overall, Hill flashed high-level pass rush potential during his time in college, but consistency and discipline (both on and off the field) have held him back, projecting as a low risk, high reward lottery ticket in the later rounds.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jeff Thomas is an interesting kid. Super talented, but he's got some off-the-field issues. Patriots seem to be adding a bunch of quick twitch, smaller slot receivers.

276. Jeff Thomas, WR, Miami (Fla.) (5-9, 170)
Former head coach Mark Richt got tired of his repeated issues and booted him from the team towards the end of the 2018 season. Although head coach Manny Diaz welcomed him back, he was suspended by his second coaching staff midway through his junior year (NFL Scout: “He’s bright and not a bad kid at all. But he’s unpredictable because of his immaturity. If he ever grows up or a coach figures out what motivates him, look out.”). Overall, Thomas is an electric athlete with the light-footed acceleration and ball-tracking skills to be a splashy NFL playmaker, but he is undersized and most NFL coaches won’t tolerate his lack of maturity, projecting as a borderline draft pick.

And here he torches an LSU secondary full of future NFLers.

seems like he can bring an element to the team that only Byrd can match

Hill was on his way to a big year before he got dismissed from VaTech

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

10-6

Despite the improvements Miami and Buffalo have made, I still think the Patriots under Belichick take the division crown with a more challenging schedule. Honestly a lot of this is dependent on how good the three young quarterbacks in the division will be. Allen, to me at least, seems like he is improving as a signal caller for the Bills and McDermott has put a lot of faith in him so they will be a tough out as usual in recent years. Meanwhile, Miami loaded up quick and have an unknown in Tua who, should he stay healthy, could be the Dolphins first big time QB since Marino. And then you have New England who is seemingly put all their eggs in the Stidham basket as they get younger, but could be in the market for a vet should things go sideways. And yet everyone in Foxboro is really confident in Stidham so it is all up in the air. All I know is that it is going to be a nail biter of a season with a wide open AFC East and I can't wait.

Also yes I didn't mention the Jets because they are a clownish organization that won't do better than 5-11 or 6-10 at best. People are overrating the hell out of Sam Darnold and he is just going to be another bag of suck QB from USC. Plus Adam Gase is a moron of a coach who looks like he is always over his head and doesn't have the respect from his players to do his job. That team is the permanent basement dweller in the division from now on as far as I am concerned.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Not great but at some point you're gonna need to go through a transition year and here we are. On paper, isn't it a difficult schedule? Maybe they can get to 9-7.

Best Case Scenario: Stidham plays well, shows he has potential to be a franchise QB, and they sneak into the playoffs.

Second Best Case Scenario: Stidham sucks, team has a bad year due to a more difficult schedule than 2019, and Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance is their QB in 2021

I keep up with college football but have no idea who Trey Lance is.

Oh and Brian Lewerke is not good at football. Looking at his tweet maybe he's throwing shade at the MSU coaches though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not great but at some point you're gonna need to go through a transition year and here we are. On paper, isn't it a difficult schedule? Maybe they can get to 9-7.

I keep up with college football but have no idea who Trey Lance is.

Oh and Brian Lewerke is not good at football. Looking at his tweet maybe he's throwing shade at the MSU coaches though.

Lance is a dual threat QB at North Dakota State. 28 TD- 0 picks. 1000 yards rushing with 14 TD. Good size too. Basically the only question mark is quality of competition

Reactions: Smitty93

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Lewerke sounds like nothing more than a scout team guy

I mean, Brady didn't sound like he was going to be anything special if you read the scouting report put out on him in 2000. Now I'm sure as hell not saying Lewerke is going to be the next Brady, but scouting for the NFL draft isn't necessarily down to a science.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad