2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
continue....2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

Button releasing his Euro top 10 videos this week with Stutzle #1 (yesterday), and Holtz #2 (today). Just off his grades, looks like he has Stutzle closer to Lafreniere than to the rest of the winger class, with Lafs shot being the biggest separator between them. His winger comps are as follows.

Lafreniere: Rantanen
Stutzle: Kane
Holtz: Forsberg
Quinn: Pastrnak
Perfetti: Panarin

Those are some big time players, and shows how strong this winger group is at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
12/14 picks won't be re-signed?

16 Draft: 4/6 picks are signed
17 Draft: 4/7 picks are signed. Maybe 5 with Ikonen
18 Draft: 4/11 picks are signed so far. Too early to know with Olofsson, and Stapley. Harris will get a contract. Could be 5/11 or 7/11.
19 Draft: Too early. It's likely to end up being 5/10 (+/-).

So you think we only sign 2 of 14 picks in the 2020 draft? :laugh:. Exaggerating doesn't help you prove your opinions. Cloudy with Sunny periods and you got your rain jacket on

If you have a lot of picks, you can also just pick a lot of Americans in the later rounds, that always delay signings.

And that's why I'm interested in guys like Carter Savoie.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have a good friend who works for the spits and we were talking about him this weekend. Mostly about how him and foudy don't get along on the ice as they both want the puck. Heard some good stories overall about the current and former spit players.

Did you have inside information on him ?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Button releasing his Euro top 10 videos this week with Stutzle #1 (yesterday), and Holtz #2 (today). Just off his grades, looks like he has Stutzle closer to Lafreniere than to the rest of the winger class, with Lafs shot being the biggest separator between them. His winger comps are as follows.

Those are some big time players, and shows how strong this winger group is at the top.

Button's comparisons are always so bad.

Forsberg for Holtz? ahhaha entertaining. Forsberg without any of the hands or elusiveness.
Lafreniere, Rantanen? in what damn way?!
Perfetti ---> Panarin :laugh:

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s talking more about the type of player... for Quinn he said a goal hungry elite first line winger like Pastrnak... for Stutzle an elite playmaking winger like Patrick Kane.

it’s not a comp to get too hung up on.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-16_13-11-41.png

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Something notable about Buttons rankings this year, his top 10 NA skaters and top 2 Euro skaters (so far), are identical to the NHL central scouting rankings. Interesting consensus forming IMO, usually Buttons rankings are WAY different.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The son of former NHLer Brian Rolston, Ryder Rolston is a late birthdate who was part of the incredible 2019 US NTDP squad. This past season he stayed in the USHL but moved on to the Waterloo Black Hawks who drafted him second overall in the USHL Draft. Rolston scored 16 goals and 17 assists for 33 points in 42 games. He also played for Team USA at the World Junior A Hockey Championships, picking up two assists in six games and winning a silver medal.

Last season Rolston put up 20 goals and 13 assists for 33 points in 54 games for the US NTDP Under-18 squad. He put up two goals and an assist for three points in two games in the USHL playoffs. In 2017-18, Rolston also put up 26 goals and 11 assists for 37 points in 52 games. He also added two assists in eight playoff games that season.

Rolston is committed to playing NCAA hockey for the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish next season. In addition to his father, his uncle Ron Rolston played in the NCAA and ECHL and has been a long time college and US NTDP coach.

Our Scouting Report is here
Ryder Rolston Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #105

Reactions: SOLR and L4br3cqu3

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
I like a lot the defenceman in this draft!
I hope we target guys like Sebrango, Seeley, Puutio, Rafkin (not really high on Thompson for his consensus ranking) with our thirds.
And guys like Steklov, Prokop, Phillips, Styf, Stacha and Mancini for 4th and later rounds.
I would take gambles with one of our early seconds if a guy like Wallander, Jurmo, Johannesson, Mukhamadullin, Andrea, Viro or Niemela falls wich I doubt (not really high on Grans) and if a forward like Marat or Chromiak falls to us.
At the forward position I feel like there will be a couple of 3rd round steal from Europe if players like Simonvital, Jarventie, Heineman, Meetinen, Maenpaa are still available and there is a couple of good russian prospects like Berekzin, Tryneyev, Zlodeyev, Krovyakov, ... I would take gambles on.

There is also Ratzlaff a 6 foot 3 RD from MN-Highschool who got a scholarship for both football (being a linebaker) and hockey in the NCAA, eventhought I have never seen the guy I hope our scouts did because this is some serious athletic abilities.

What are some of the guys you wish we target considering their ranks in different lists? I am really glad we have so many late pick this year!

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
continue....2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

I actually like the Quinn comparison

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
From a purely visual standpoint (size, shoulders, puckhandling, how he holds his stick, how he looks off defenders, skating), I feel Rossi reminds me most of Kane.
I can see that for sure. Kane for Perfetti is less a stylistic comp and more just the way Perfetti is able to dominate with pure skill and ridiculous offensive IQ- while being smaller and slower than most of that ilk.

honestly Perfetti scares me. The upside is so tantalizingly high, like 100+ points a year high, but the floor? Definitely a bust factor with him. If he struggles adapting to the size and speed of the league, he could have a tough time defining himself a role. But got damn that ceiling is drool worthy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see that for sure. Kane for Perfetti is less a stylistic comp and more just the way Perfetti is able to dominate with pure skill and ridiculous offensive IQ- while being smaller and slower than most of that ilk.

honestly Perfetti scares me. The upside is so tantalizingly high, like 100+ points a year high, but the floor? Definitely a bust factor with him. If he struggles adapting to the size and speed of the league, he could have a tough time defining himself a role. But got damn that ceiling is drool worthy.

Perfetti scares me as well. Very offensive type skill but he could struggle once he turns pro.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Thats what we need tho. Draft for ceilling and not floor. We been lacking superstar talent for to long now

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best players from 8-20 since 2012... Stopped at 2017 cause it's too early with 18 and 19 drafts.

2012: Trouba, Forsberg, Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevskiy
2013: Ristolainen, Horvat, Domi, Morrissey, Wennberg, Pulock, Zadorov, Mantha
2014: Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, Fiala, Larkin, Tuch,
2015: Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Chabot
2016: Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun.
* Too Early with: Jost, Brown, Bean, Bellows
2017: Mittelstadt, Necas, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Thomas.
* Too Early with: Rasmussen, Tippett, Vilardi, Foote, Valimaki, Liljegren, Norris

Probability we hit on a star with our 8th OA pick is low, very low. Good chance we land a top 4D or top 6F though.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
‎NHL Draft Class: Guest: Quinton Byfield, Sudbury Wolves (NHL.com Apple Podcasts)

@0:48 to @18:45

“Quinton Byfield of Sudbury in the OHL, No. 2 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters for the 2020 NHL Draft, joins hosts of NHL.com. Byfield talks about getting back on the ice, what he needs to do to get ready to play in the NHL next season and shares his feelings on the protests and the steps being taken to improve racial equality, especially in hockey.”

2020 Draft: Byfield cherishing opportunity to be role model

“Sudbury center can be highest chosen black player, wants to motivate others of color to try hockey”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
2020 Draft: Colangelo has style reminiscent of Maple Leafs' Matthews

"I try to take everything day by day. Obviously I think about [the draft] a little bit, but I just try to stay in the moment and not get too far ahead. Just not worry about it too much and just play my game. I think the results will happen for themselves."

"I think it's been showing, but I think being faster and stronger will never hurt. The faster I get, I think the better I'll be."

Reactions: Vachon23

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Best players from 8-20 since 2012... Stopped at 2017 cause it's too early with 18 and 19 drafts.

2012: Trouba, Forsberg, Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevskiy
2013: Ristolainen, Horvat, Domi, Morrissey, Wennberg, Pulock, Zadorov, Mantha
2014: Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, Fiala, Larkin, Tuch,
2015: Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Chabot
2016: Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun.
* Too Early with: Jost, Brown, Bean, Bellows
2017: Mittelstadt, Necas, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Thomas.
* Too Early with: Rasmussen, Tippett, Vilardi, Foote, Valimaki, Liljegren, Norris

Probability we hit on a star with our 8th OA pick is low, very low. Good chance we land a top 4D or top 6F though.
This year top 10 is better than most year I would put it above all the draft you listed but 2015.

After top 10 it drops significantly though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This year top 10 is better than most year I would put it above all the draft you listed but 2015.

After top 10 it drops significantly though.

Top 10 appears to be deep with talent but saying it will trump all drafts from 12-16 is a statement! I have heard deep drafts many times before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad