The Star: 2020 End of Season report card

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner should be a B+ and Nylander a A-. Marner was the better player this year but relative to expectations wasnt as good as nylander was who probably outplayed expectations for him.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner should be a B+ and Nylander a A-. Marner was the better player this year but relative to expectations wasnt as good as nylander was who probably outplayed expectations for him.
Agreed, 'A' seems a bit high. Not sure about Selkes but I could see an Art Ross in his future, spot on about being the 'teams heart'.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
too bad they did not grade the GM and president....
Thought the same when I looked at it. Why stop at just the coach?

I guess for a Team expected to make the Playoffs and missing, a 'C' is a tad generous.

Reactions: rubous

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Agreed, 'A' seems a bit high. Not sure about Selkes but I could see an Art Ross in his future, spot on about being the 'teams heart'.
Marner is the only player om the leafs with a chance at the Art Ross. Going to be hard unless he ups his goal scoring but possible.

He is a ross/hart/lindsay challenger

Matthews is the only real threat to win the rocket on the leafs(he is a likely winner in the near future)

He is a rocket/hart/lindsay challanger.

Both have to up their production another tier or two but playing together and both hopefully working in their games extensively this offseason could maybe lead to a dominant Mcdavid/drai or mallin/Crosby type season from them.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner is the only player om the leafs with a chance at the Art Ross. Going to be hard unless he ups his goal scoring but possible.

He is a ross/hart/lindsay challenger

Matthews is the only real threat to win the rocket on the leafs(he is a likely winner in the near future)

He is a rocket/hart/lindsay challanger.

Both have to up their production another tier or two but playing together and both hopefully working in their games extensively this offseason could maybe lead to a dominant Mcdavid/drai or mallin/Crosby type season from them.

I'd say Matthews is just as credible an Art Ross threat. I found some of his passing in that 4-3 overtime come back vs CBJ to be a hint of some latent playmaking greatness if he was ever paired up with a sniping linemate. But Marner feasts on assists like few others.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Did they not take expectations into account at all?

Spezza, Nylander as Bs?
Nylander easily had his best year and Spezza did all that was asked of him and more.

Same with Campbell and his B-, while Andersen gets a B after his worst year as a Leaf.

Mikheyev and Sandin overachieve and still get the same C grade as Barrie?

Reactions: Gallagbi

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Didn’t get out of first round again. Fail.
Couldn’t grind out goals, fail.
Powerplay didn’t score. Fail

This season was a failure with very little to no safe expectation as to how they would play game to game. Not a good sign.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Let’s look at the C’s and D’s shall we:
To start:
Kapanen
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Goat
Engvall
Petan
Malgin
Mikheyev
Barrie
Dermott
Ceci
Marincin

Hello Dubas. You need players like Kadri/Brown/Komarov, others like Savard (Columbus), Pesce, more Hyman, a Gallagher type, etc.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch was a B- ... too many night of floating this year
Willy was an A- ... was best player on team many many nights this year ... but sh*t show against a trap team like CBJ
Barrie was an E fail ... wrong add by Dubie as we had Rielly already ... bad bad bad fit for a team lacking defensive defenders

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
My playoff rankings, keeping contract money aside, I think Marner played solid A-, a minus because we didn't score enough but a couple bounces our way and Matthews and Tavares get a lot more goals and we win series. Marner's contract sucks but he's a good player, hes the guy everyone looks to pass to and he consistently moves the puck up the ice and creates chances. I'm not sure what others are watching when they criticize his game, yeah hes going to make mistakes because hes our go to guy for every scenario and sets up all of our plays. I think Matthews being more greedy on the powerplay would benefit Marner's criticism against. Matthews has to wire the puck regardless if people are blocking his lane. Nylander gets a D in the playoffs.

Literally our core: Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Rielly get As from me which is why i'm scared about this team. Our guys played well and we still lost because we cant afford depth.

The chicken and the egg, core plays well and depth sucks, the depth sucks because core is paid too much

Last edited:

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I think Tavares deserves some recognition, whenever hes on the ice there is room to pass the puck around and make plays. Marner played solid with him, Nylander had a career year, Matthews looks sharp as ever when Tavares is on his wing

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Too high:
Marner
Clifford
Andersen

Marner should not be higher than Tavares... Definitely not an 'A'. Maybe a 'B' or 'B-' since he still worked hard and was able to maintain the production, but his shot has not improved and he is still far too easy to stop for a guy of his caliber.

Clifford is not a 'B'. He's a 'C' at best. He was ineffective most of the time, and considering how low his expectations were to begin with, that is not exactly a good thing. I wouldn't even take him back if he was asking for the same amount of money he made last year (1.6 mill)... If he wants 2-3 mill, then he can be an anchor on another team.

Andersen is not a 'B'. He had the worst season of his Leafs career by far and was a major hindrance for the Leafs all season. A big reason why we did not make any improvements this year, so he is a 'C'.

Too low:
Kapanen
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Mikheyev

I think the grades on the second-tier forwards were generally lazy. Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Kapanen are easy 'B' or 'B-' players. People talk about this team lacking players who can contribute in other ways when the offense is not going, and these guys did literally that. Mikheyev was one of the best PKers in the league and while his offense dried up in the playoffs, he was still working extremely hard in tight, provided value on the PK, and was a strong defensive player. Kapanen was not much different. Kerfoot had an injury which hampered him in the middle of the season, but he was one of the better players for the Leafs in the playoffs, somehow developed the ability to PK over the course of the year, and is an extremely smart 2-way player who can lead a two-way 3rd line that the Leafs probably want.

Johnsson deserves a 'C'. Injury killed half of his year, and the offense regressed a little bit after his shooting percentage was not quite as high and he was not given as many top 6 opportunities, but he was still on pace for something like 16 goals and 40 points. There is more to give, but a healthy year on another team could easily see him back to 20 goals and 40-50 points, especially if he is playing in a top 6 with good players.

The issue with this team is not that we had too many guys who had 'D' or 'F' level performances. The issue is that the majority of the team, either due to inconsistency or injury, were 'B' or 'C' level. They were not atrocious, but they were not playing their best for long enough periods of time, and that includes the playoffs. We need more guys to jump a tier or two, especially guys like Marner and Andersen.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Man, more and more I'm getting the feeling a lot of people including some media overrate the Leafs team too much. No, I am not new. But what are we falling in love with here? f*** ratings. Yes, I'm f***ing grumpy that I'm sitting at home and can't watch hockey again for another post season beyond the first round. :mad:

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2