Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting question, I know it won’t happen, but just to have a discussion killing time until the draft.

If Yaroslav Askarov falls to #26 .....would u take him? I hate drafting goalies in the 1st rd...... but if the guys u want are gone...... I would be ok with askarov versus mysak, Schneider or amirov
I would agree, if for no other reason that he would probably be the BPA there anyway. I don't expect that to happen, but I fully expect us to draft a goalie with one of the 3rd rounders.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Drafting a goalie in the first round unless he is exceptionally gifted is akin to drafting a kicker in the NFL first round. It just doesn't feel right and rarely works out.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Drafting a goalie in the first round unless he is exceptionally gifted is akin to drafting a kicker in the NFL first round. It just doesn't feel right and rarely works out.
Agreed, but in this case Askarov, by most accounts, falls into the exceptionally gifted category.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Interesting question, I know it won’t happen, but just to have a discussion killing time until the draft.

If Yaroslav Askarov falls to #26 .....would u take him? I hate drafting goalies in the 1st rd...... but if the guys u want are gone...... I would be ok with askarov versus mysak, Schneider or amirov
His this year KHL perform. Amazing. Sick. Google it.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Get the reference, but doesn’t really equate here, Carey price has a much larger effect on his team on a play to play basis and helping them win than Justin tucker does ya know

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

I actually don’t think it’s that interesting of a question (no offense). If the scouts think he’s by far the best player left on the board then I would take him 10/10 times.

Now, I don’t ever really want to take a goalie in the first round, and if it’s close between a goalie and a skater I would definitely prefer the skater...but if he’s by far the best player then you have to trust your scouts and draft him IMO.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I'd be fine with taking Askarov with pick 26. I thought, and still think, that Florida made a great pick in taking Knight with pick 13 last year. I rate Askarov higher than Knight because what Askarov has done at his age is nothing short of spectacular. There won't be any player with his achievements and his potential at pick 26, so why not go for broke in selecting Askarov?

Saying that, no way Askarov will fall past a team like Carolina, if he even makes it that far. I would take a look at Calle Clang in the 3rd round if the Blues are interested in a goalie. He's been a sleeper this draft.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Get the reference, but doesn’t really equate here, Carey price has a much larger effect on his team on a play to play basis and helping them win than Justin tucker does ya know
I had to look up who Justin Tucker was. I boycotted football the day the Rams left town and haven't watched a game since.

Reactions: The Electrician

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I actually don’t think it’s that interesting of a question (no offense). If the scouts think he’s by far the best player left on the board then I would take him 10/10 times.

Now, I don’t ever really want to take a goalie in the first round, and if it’s close between a goalie and a skater I would definitely prefer the skater...but if he’s by far the best player then you have to trust your scouts and draft him IMO.
Your 2nd paragraph is what makes it an interesting question.....lol

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I still can’t believe the draft is only six days away. What a weird year this has been.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

If Spencer Knight didn't fall past 15, there's no way Askarov does. I'd take Askarov at any point after #8, as his upside blows most of the guys in this draft out of the water. But I also think our goaltending depth is a huge concern and Binnington is more likely to continue to slide than rebound.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think it is looking likely that Askarov is going top-10. A lot of teams rumoured to be wanting him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If Spencer Knight didn't fall past 15, there's no way Askarov does. I'd take Askarov at any point after #8, as his upside blows most of the guys in this draft out of the water. But I also think our goaltending depth is a huge concern and Binnington is more likely to continue to slide than rebound.
I’m not as quick to throw binner away, yes he had a rough bubble playoff but he was insane last season, good and most importantly clutch in the playoffs and had another very good regular season. His numbers may never be top 5 any given regular season but man does he make big saves when u need then most and just has that knack of shutting the door in big games etc... I don’t see us finding anything better than him for Atleast 5+ years which would be around when askarov establishes himself in the league anyway.
Outside of binner I do agree it’s a concern, tho we do have some lottery tickets in Hofer, zherenko, Ellis and even Husso that I’m mildly excited over

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I’m not as quick to throw binner away, yes he had a rough bubble playoff but he was insane last season, good and most importantly clutch in the playoffs and had another very good regular season. His numbers may never be top 5 any given regular season but man does he make big saves when u need then most and just has that knack of shutting the door in big games etc... I don’t see us finding anything better than him for Atleast 5+ years which would be around when askarov establishes himself in the league anyway.
Outside of binner I do agree it’s a concern, tho we do have some lottery tickets in Hofer, zherenko, Ellis and even Husso that I’m mildly excited over
I worry that Binnington still has a chip on his shoulder about the way he was handled within the organization and doesn't have much loyalty to the team. I would not be shocked if he decided to dip his toe in the UFA pool, especially if Petro gets a huge salary from another team and Binnington doesn't want to go through this circus with Army. The UFA list isn't that good for 2021 if the Blues have to go shopping.

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Reactions: Stealth JD

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I worry that Binnington still has a chip on his shoulder about the way he was handled within the organization and doesn't have much loyalty to the team. I would not be shocked if he decided to dip his toe in the UFA pool, especially if Petro gets a huge salary from another team and Binnington doesn't want to go through this circus with Army. The UFA list isn't that good for 2021 if the Blues have to go shopping.

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker
That's the part that has me concerned. If he falters again, we may be looking to replace him, but if he reverts back to his 2019 form he may bolt. I see a reasonable possibility either way that next season could be his last season here.

Reactions: 67Blues

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Pronman has a full 7 round mock draft up at The Athletic. This is who he has the Blues coming away with:

26: Ryan O’Rourke, D, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL
86: Evan Vierling, C, Barrie-OHL
88: Michael Krutil, D, Sparta Praha-Czech
119: Zachary Uens, D, Merrimack-Hockey East
146: Ethan Edwards, D, Spruce Grove-AJHL
150: Oliver Okuliar, LW, Lethbridge-AHL
203: Alex Laferriere, RW, Des Moines-USHL

I personally hope 3 of the first 4 picks aren't all D but admittedly I know next to nothing about anyone on that list after O'Rourke. I also suspect that Armstrong -one way or another- will be quite active at the draft so who knows how many picks they end up with and where they end up being.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Pronman has a full 7 round mock draft up at The Athletic. This is who he has the Blues coming away with:

I personally hope 3 of the first 4 picks aren't all D but admittedly I know next to nothing about anyone on that list after O'Rourke. I also suspect that Armstrong -one way or another- will be quite active at the draft so who knows how many picks they end up with and where they end up being.
I’m very Ok with O’rourke at 26. Even though it’s not the sexiest pick. Nothing wrong with having too many quality D

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m very Ok with O’rourke at 26. Even though it’s not the sexiest pick. Nothing wrong with having too many quality D
Yeah, at the end of the first round if you can get a legit NHLer you are happy with that. I wouldn't be too upset one way or the other, it's just the forward ranks are looking especially bare these days. But there isn't much on defense either so as long as they add quality prospects I won't complain, regardless of position.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I have always been huge on O'Rourke. I think the guy has a lot more potential than what people have been saying about him. I genuinely think he can become the 3rd best defenseman out of this draft. I wouldn't even be surprised if he ends up better than Sanderson.

A defenseman like O'Rourke is a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad