Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Rankings By Position -- Centers

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 Draft Rankings By Position — Center
The 2020 NHL Draft is stocked with talented prospects at all three forward positions. An NHL team can never draft too many centers — these players can always be moved to the wing if there’s a glut up the middle. This class is stocked with high-end players at the top of the list (Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi), but is so deep that as far down as the 10-13 range there are players with legitimate, impact top-6 potential at the NHL level.
  1. Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL someone asked me what Byfield’s upside was. I was like, "I don’t know… second best center in the world after Connor McDavid?” One of the youngest players in the draft class, Byfield is a freakishly good athlete. At 6’4-215 (and growing), he’s one of the fastest skaters in the 2020 class, and combines that with a sick shot, high intelligence, an excellent compete level and very good (though not elite) vision. If this kid hits his ultimate potential, look out. He can be as good a combination of power/speed/skill as we’ve seen at the center position in decades.
  2. Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim DEL the best skater in the 2020 draft class, the best hands in the 2020 draft class. Stutzle is also a ridiculously good passer with a stratospheric compete level. Can make your entire team look silly from either the center or left wing positions. A top three lock.
  3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL the best two-way forward in the 2020 class, one of the smartest players you’ll ever see and a ferocious compete level. Rossi is probably NHL ready right now, and is maybe two years away from being crowned the greatest Austrian hockey player ever born. His offensive abilities are simply electrifying, and despite being just 5’9, he’s built like a hydrant and probably one of the more physical centers on this list.
  4. Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL would I draft Lapierre ahead of the two or three players behind him on this list? I’m not sure — after a draft-eligible season marred by three concussions and a vertebrae injury, there is certainly going to be some trepidation. But is he the fourth-best center in this very strong draft class? I would say yes. Lapierre’s skating/vision/puck-skills combination can only be described as dynamic and elite. He is incredibly intelligent and reads the play with rare pace and precision. Though the risk is no fault of Lapierre’s, it must be taken into account. But it must be similarly stated that the potential reward here is astronomical.
  5. Anton Lundell, HIFK FIN though Lundell has been made out to be a polarizing player, he’s really not. Is he ever going to challenge for the NHL scoring title? Absolutely, no. But what you get is a big, extremely intelligent second-line pivot who plays two-ways and can certainly contribute on the scoresheets. Lundell can wire the puck and he’s a tremendous passer. He’s just not anymore than an average skater and lacks any explosive quality. Anyone touting him as a top 7 pick is likely on drugs, but anyone leaving him out of their top 20 has never appreciated Lundell’s closest comparable, Patrice Bergeron.
  6. Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL neck-and-neck with Lundell is Zary. He’s another kid with whom the reward is easily projectable and somewhat limited, but the risk is almost nil. Not as big as Lundell, Zary is a superior skater and just as smart and reliable defensively. You’re drafting him to be a stud second line center to compliment your top scorer on the first line and shut down the opposition’s stars.
  7. Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL I fear I’m going to regret not ranking him higher, but it has more to do with uncertainty than skepticism. Is he a center or a left wing? Will he eliminate the crow-hop in his first step which inhibits his acceleration? Mysak’s straight line speed is terrific, but if he can become a bit more explosive on his skates he could become unstoppable. Mysak is a deadly sniper with 40+ goal NHL upside, and he also features phenomenal creativity and passing vision. His two-way play is outstanding and he’ll be a constant threat on your PK unit. His upside is just below the top 4 on this list and, although I’m ranking him below Lundell and Zary, this is a crucial factor to mention with Mysak.
  8. Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Pete MHL like Mysak, this dazzling talent has an upside just outside the top 4 centers and this bears mentioning despite some uncertainty which slots him down a bit on this list. Khusnutdinov has lightning in his skates, and plays with an unbridled passion and fire. His hands and vision are both elite traits, and despite size limitations at 5’9-165 his compete level and fearlessness will likely keep him at the center position. Khusnutdinov also has a deadly shot which he gets off in a blink and with nasty precision. It is a credit to the class of 2020 that, when ranking the #8 center prospect, we’re still talking about a kid with dynamic, first-line NHL upside.
  9. Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL I had a bit of trouble deciding whether to rank Bourque as a center or a RW, but I have no trouble lauding his shooting ability. He’s got an arsenal of shots, and they can all beat a netminder from anywhere. Bourque’s ability to process and understand the game at intense speeds is extraordinary. Were he a bit bigger (5’9-165) or faster (an above-average skater, but not special in that regard), Bourque would be a surefire lottery pick.
  10. Evan Vierling, Barrie OHL every year, at every position, there is a draft eligible whom I cannot believe is so overlooked and underrated. Vierling is certainly that guy at center in 2020. Vierling’s lack of any discernible flaws gives him the floor of a middle-six center — he is a very good skater, shooter, and passer, who displays a physical edge with his projectable 6’0-180 frame. As a two-way center, he is not far behind Lundell and Zary — he’s smart as hell and shows tremendous anticipation for the play. After a mid-season trade from Flint to Barrie, he tallied 34 points in 28 games, driving a line with Tyson Foerster and never wavering on his defensive responsibilities. Again — no one’s talking about this kid, but if five years down the line he were even better than Lundell and Zary, I would not be shocked. Likely an absolute steal in the 3rd/4th rounds, I would be considering Vierling as early as the late 1st.
  11. Roni Hirvonen, Assat FIN your consolation prize for missing out on Khusnutdinov, Hirvonen is another unbelievable skater with high-end skills and vision with the puck. Despite being yet another undersized pivot at 5’9-165, Hirvonen was excellent in the Finnish men’s league with a tantalizing blend of offensive explosiveness and fearlessness. He reminds me a bit of a young Daniel Briere.
  12. Ridley Greig, Brandon WHL the word which describes this kid is “heart”. Every limitation he has, he has circumvented in one way or another. Not the fastest skater, he accelerates well and is always active and never outpaced. Not the biggest kid, his compete level is so high it’s absurd, and he plays physical. Not a hard shooter, Greig is amazingly accurate with a quick release. He’s a two-way demon and usually the best player on the ice whenever he’s on the ice. A future NHL fan favorite as a do-it-all middle six center.
  13. Tristen Robins, Saskatoon WHL if you’re looking for the Devils’ 6th round steal for 2020, Robins fits all the parameters. Sorely overlooked due to a lack of size and early season production, Robins was moved to center from the wing towards the end of the season and exploded for 16 points in his final 10 games. He’s a tremendous skater which, when combined with a silky set of mitts, makes him incredibly elusive, whether in open ice or traffic. Robins features a deceptively hard and accurate shot and is a pinpoint passer. He needs to build core strength and improve in the face-off dot in order to remain at center, but his defensive play greatly improved over the past season. His upside is as a high-scoring, second line pivot at the NHL level.
  14. Vasily Ponomarev, Shawinigan QMJHL another underrated kid, Ponomarev has all the makings of an excellent, two-way third line center with the upside to score more in a second line role. He’s poised, smart, skilled and plays well. A very good skater, he’s not going to wow you so much as play an effective game, shift in and shift out. His recognition of what is going on around him and unique ability to find the open areas of the ice with and without the puck makes me feel he has more untapped offensive upside.
  15. Ty Smilanic, US-NTDP USHL simply, a very raw prospect with a ton of upside. Though normally US-NTDP players are further along the development curve than most in the USHL, Smilanic’s elite size/blazing speed combo (6’1-180 and one of the top 10 skaters in the draft) leads to flashes of pure brilliance which he struggles to maintain with consistency. His athletic gifts may see him overdraft as early as the late 1st round, but if he slips to the 3rd he has the elements of a future steal.
  16. Jaromir Pitlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL the young Czech’s most dynamic skills are size (6’3-210) and face-off circle dominance. He is not an electrifying skater or offensive dynamo, but he is very solid in both respects. Pytlik could learn to throw his weight around a bit more and engage, but his defensive game is extremely solid. If you give him time to shoot, watch out — Pytlik can really wire the puck. A bit of a project, but a potentially fine payoff as a hulking mid-6 pivot with two-way acumen and offensive punch.
  17. Brendan Brisson, Chicago USHL another kid who could certainly prove my ranking too conservative, as Brisson’s offensive skills certainly outshine several players ahead of him on this list. Brisson has first-round caliber vision and puck skills, but his play without the puck and shooting need to improve in order for him to unlock his enormous potential. A few years at the University of Michigan might give Brisson the development he needs to unlock his top-6 NHL potential.
  18. Thomas Bordeleau, US-NTDP USHL Bordeleau is another player with high-end offensive skills who needs to refine the ancillary aspects of his game in order for his talents to shine. An exceptional shooter and passer, Bordeleau also skates extremely well — a combination which vaulted him to the top of the US-NTDP scoring leaders. Like Brisson, he’ll have several seasons at Michigan to improve his play without the puck and often-maddening penchant for remaining on the perimeter.
  19. Cameron Tolnai, Ottawa OHL you want the Steve Super Sleeper of 2020? Here’s your guy. Granted, I confess to watching the Ottawa 67s more than any other amateur hockey club this past season, but even buried on a powerhouse 67s line-up littered with future NHL forwards, Tolnai found ways to impress me. He features ideal size (6’0-175), skating and skills for an NHL second-line center, he just never had much of an opportunity to display them at the CHL level. When (Devils prospect) Graeme Clarke was activated off the injured list near the end of the season, he was paired with Tolnai and Tolnai’s play exploded — scoring 11 points in his final 8 games, all of them at even strength. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to guess who the Devils 7th round pick would be in the 2020 draft, this is the kid I would pick. He worked magic with Clarke, and I expect his numbers could skyrocket next season as the possible #1 center for Ottawa.
  20. (tie) Ben King, Red Deer WHL/ Dylan Peterson, US-NTDP USHL/ Theo Rochette, Quebec QMJHL checking line centers! Get your checking line centers! None of these kids have particularly awe-inspiring ceilings, but it’s always nice to see your 5th round pick turn into a dependable, smart two-way force on your bottom 6. These kids all are worth mentioning, all three have very high floors and promising NHL futures.

2020 Final Draft Rankings... coming soon!!!

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Lapierre intrigues me so damn much. Huge skill but internally he seems like he's built of balsa wood. It's tough for him because he would be a top 5 pick most likely if he didn't have HUGE injury red flags.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Lapierre intrigues me so damn much. Huge skill but internally he seems like he's built of balsa wood. It's tough for him because he would be a top 5 pick most likely if he didn't have HUGE injury red flags.

The Devils can afford to take this risk if they 1)have three picks in the first round; and 2)Lapierre is still available with the third of these picks.

Let's say hypothetically, the Devils get Drysdale and Mercer with the #7 and the Arizona pick. They've already won! Now the Devils are picking again in the #20-#24 range and Lapierre is still out there. Even if Lapierre's career is derailed by injuries, the Devils are loaded with prospect depth. But if Lapierre recovers and peaks in a few years? You're talking about a dynamic, point-per-game center who plays a very solid two-way game and can fly.

Like I said, with Lapierre you're taking a tremendous risk, but the potential payoff is astronomical. I guess this is how NHL GMs earn their salaries.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I doubt Rossi stays at center no matter who drafts him

The list of 5’9” NHL centers in the past is.. small lol

Besides get him next to another natural center and having a two-way strong winger is always a major plus IMO and theyre very rare

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What is else is elite with Lapierre outside of his vision/IQ?

Lapierre has elite hands, and has a rare ability (comparable to Raymond) to make phenomenal stickhandling moves at top speeds or on the pivot, often leading to highlight-reel plays. Also, the speed at which he plays does not seem to neutralize his passing vision or accuracy in the slightest, another scarcely found talent. He needs the smallest of windows to wire passes on the sticks of teammates, and he is genius at using his puckhandling acumen to open these windows. Lapierre's creativity and precision are simply tremendous. Were it not for the injuries, I think we'd be talking about him as a top 10 pick. Unfortunately, as it stands, I would not draft him as I high as I've ranked him. But I consider it my job to give credit where credit is due, and point out what a superlative talent Hendrix Lapierre truly is.

Reactions: The Great Santini

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I doubt Rossi stays at center no matter who drafts him

The list of 5’9” NHL centers in the past is.. small lol

Besides get him next to another natural center and having a two-way strong winger is always a major plus IMO and theyre very rare

We need to stop talking about Rossi as a 5'9 center. This banal measurement does not begin to describe him as a player.

1)We are not talking a slightly built kid here. Rossi is 5'9-180 -- with a low center of balance, tremendous agility and incredible strength for his size. To put this in perspective, Tim Stutzle is 6'0-185. Granted, Rossi is easier to catch than Stutzle, but once you do Stutzle is easier to knock off his skates. Rossi is also more ferocious on loose pucks and defensively. Stutzle is an incredible player and features a high compete level in his own right, but which of these players plays a bigger game? It's Rossi without a doubt.

2)Rossi's closest NHL comparable is probably Brayden Point, who is an elite, two-way center for the Tampa Bay Lightning. I'd say the differences are that Rossi is stronger (20 pounds heavier), even grittier (and Point is one ferocious dude) and more skilled (and Point is ridiculously skilled).

3)Devils fans need to process that Rossi probably has as high a likelihood as any player to go to NJ with the #7 pick. In the very likely scenario that Detroit takes Perfetti and both elite defensemen (Drysdale/Sanderson) are gone, the Devils choice will come down to Rossi vs. Holtz vs. Raymond. Right now, Rossi is the clear-cut best player of the three and the closest to the NHL. He is the most complete of the three by far. And the Devils have certainly seen a ton of Rossi scouting their legion of prospects with the Ottawa 67s. If drafted by the Devils, Rossi would likely fill multiple roles. On the power play, he would likely slot up on the first line as a winger alongside Jack Hughes, enabling Nico Hischier to pivot the second unit. On a regular 5 on 5 shift, Rossi would likely slot in as the third-line center. This would be a ridiculous weapon for a Devils head coach -- with Hischier and Rossi, the Devils would have TWO elite two-way centers, guys who could shut down your top line while scoring points galore. It's almost unfair, especially when you stop to consider that the other top center would be Jack Hughes and his insane scoring upside. Quite simply, Rossi would be an outstanding pick for the New Jersey Devils and has all the makings of a future NHL franchise player, regardless of what a tape measure says.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
We need to stop talking about Rossi as a 5'9 center. This banal measurement does not begin to describe him as a player.

1)We are not talking a slightly built kid here. Rossi is 5'9-180 -- with a low center of balance, tremendous agility and incredible strength for his size. To put this in perspective, Tim Stutzle is 6'0-185. Granted, Rossi is easier to catch than Stutzle, but once you do Stutzle is easier to knock off his skates. Rossi is also more ferocious on loose pucks and defensively. Stutzle is an incredible player and features a high compete level in his own right, but which of these players plays a bigger game? It's Rossi without a doubt.

2)Rossi's closest NHL comparable is probably Brayden Point, who is an elite, two-way center for the Tampa Bay Lightning. I'd say the differences are that Rossi is stronger (20 pounds heavier), even grittier (and Point is one ferocious dude) and more skilled (and Point is ridiculously skilled).

3)Devils fans need to process that Rossi probably has as high a likelihood as any player to go to NJ with the #7 pick. In the very likely scenario that Detroit takes Perfetti and both elite defensemen (Drysdale/Sanderson) are gone, the Devils choice will come down to Rossi vs. Holtz vs. Raymond. Right now, Rossi is the clear-cut best player of the three and the closest to the NHL. He is the most complete of the three by far. And the Devils have certainly seen a ton of Rossi scouting their legion of prospects with the Ottawa 67s. If drafted by the Devils, Rossi would likely fill multiple roles. On the power play, he would likely slot up on the first line as a winger alongside Jack Hughes, enabling Nico Hischier to pivot the second unit. On a regular 5 on 5 shift, Rossi would likely slot in as the third-line center. This would be a ridiculous weapon for a Devils head coach -- with Hischier and Rossi, the Devils would have TWO elite two-way centers, guys who could shut down your top line while scoring points galore. It's almost unfair, especially when you stop to consider that the other top center would be Jack Hughes and his insane scoring upside. Quite simply, Rossi would be an outstanding pick for the New Jersey Devils and has all the makings of a future NHL franchise player, regardless of what a tape measure says.
If Perfetti does go to Detroit like everyones saying and Sanderson/Drysdale are gone to Anaheim/Ottawa respectively - then inject Rossi into my veins and the lineup

Serious question though - the kid wont get much bigger with age he’ll simply add more muscle in place of fat. So is there any chance at all he can make the big club next year?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

HugeFreeKookaburra-size_restricted.gif

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Perfetti does go to Detroit like everyones saying and Sanderson/Drysdale are gone to Anaheim/Ottawa respectively - then inject Rossi into my veins and the lineup

Serious question though - the kid wont get much bigger with age he’ll simply add more muscle in place of fat. So is there any chance at all he can make the big club next year?

I’ve read a few places that think he’s the second most likely player to be NHL ready next season due to his strength, tenacity, and prior juniors dominance.

Rossi will be a pro next year; if he isn’t in the NHL he is going to play in Europe. With the NHL aiming for a December 1st start to next NHL season he may have already logged some European pro time by the time NHL camps open.

Edit: Having followed Ottawa this year I’m a huge Rossi fan so would love the Devils to get him. I can’t think of who would be available at 7 that I wouldn’t take Rossi over.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Yes. I would say that Rossi and Lundell are the most NHL-ready of all the 2020 draftees aside from Lafreniere.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
2020 Draft Rankings By Position — Center
The 2020 NHL Draft is stocked with talented prospects at all three forward positions. An NHL team can never draft too many centers — these players can always be moved to the wing if there’s a glut up the middle. This class is stocked with high-end players at the top of the list (Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi), but is so deep that as far down as the 10-13 range there are players with legitimate, impact top-6 potential at the NHL level.
  1. Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL someone asked me what Byfield’s upside was. I was like, "I don’t know… second best center in the world after Connor McDavid?” One of the youngest players in the draft class, Byfield is a freakishly good athlete. At 6’4-215 (and growing), he’s one of the fastest skaters in the 2020 class, and combines that with a sick shot, high intelligence, an excellent compete level and very good (though not elite) vision. If this kid hits his ultimate potential, look out. He can be as good a combination of power/speed/skill as we’ve seen at the center position in decades.
  2. Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim DEL the best skater in the 2020 draft class, the best hands in the 2020 draft class. Stutzle is also a ridiculously good passer with a stratospheric compete level. Can make your entire team look silly from either the center or left wing positions. A top three lock.
  3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL the best two-way forward in the 2020 class, one of the smartest players you’ll ever see and a ferocious compete level. Rossi is probably NHL ready right now, and is maybe two years away from being crowned the greatest Austrian hockey player ever born. His offensive abilities are simply electrifying, and despite being just 5’9, he’s built like a hydrant and probably one of the more physical centers on this list.
  4. Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL would I draft Lapierre ahead of the two or three players behind him on this list? I’m not sure — after a draft-eligible season marred by three concussions and a vertebrae injury, there is certainly going to be some trepidation. But is he the fourth-best center in this very strong draft class? I would say yes. Lapierre’s skating/vision/puck-skills combination can only be described as dynamic and elite. He is incredibly intelligent and reads the play with rare pace and precision. Though the risk is no fault of Lapierre’s, it must be taken into account. But it must be similarly stated that the potential reward here is astronomical.
  5. Anton Lundell, HIFK FIN though Lundell has been made out to be a polarizing player, he’s really not. Is he ever going to challenge for the NHL scoring title? Absolutely, no. But what you get is a big, extremely intelligent second-line pivot who plays two-ways and can certainly contribute on the scoresheets. Lundell can wire the puck and he’s a tremendous passer. He’s just not anymore than an average skater and lacks any explosive quality. Anyone touting him as a top 7 pick is likely on drugs, but anyone leaving him out of their top 20 has never appreciated Lundell’s closest comparable, Patrice Bergeron.
  6. Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL neck-and-neck with Lundell is Zary. He’s another kid with whom the reward is easily projectable and somewhat limited, but the risk is almost nil. Not as big as Lundell, Zary is a superior skater and just as smart and reliable defensively. You’re drafting him to be a stud second line center to compliment your top scorer on the first line and shut down the opposition’s stars.
  7. Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL I fear I’m going to regret not ranking him higher, but it has more to do with uncertainty than skepticism. Is he a center or a left wing? Will he eliminate the crow-hop in his first step which inhibits his acceleration? Mysak’s straight line speed is terrific, but if he can become a bit more explosive on his skates he could become unstoppable. Mysak is a deadly sniper with 40+ goal NHL upside, and he also features phenomenal creativity and passing vision. His two-way play is outstanding and he’ll be a constant threat on your PK unit. His upside is just below the top 4 on this list and, although I’m ranking him below Lundell and Zary, this is a crucial factor to mention with Mysak.
  8. Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Pete MHL like Mysak, this dazzling talent has an upside just outside the top 4 centers and this bears mentioning despite some uncertainty which slots him down a bit on this list. Khusnutdinov has lightning in his skates, and plays with an unbridled passion and fire. His hands and vision are both elite traits, and despite size limitations at 5’9-165 his compete level and fearlessness will likely keep him at the center position. Khusnutdinov also has a deadly shot which he gets off in a blink and with nasty precision. It is a credit to the class of 2020 that, when ranking the #8 center prospect, we’re still talking about a kid with dynamic, first-line NHL upside.
  9. Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL I had a bit of trouble deciding whether to rank Bourque as a center or a RW, but I have no trouble lauding his shooting ability. He’s got an arsenal of shots, and they can all beat a netminder from anywhere. Bourque’s ability to process and understand the game at intense speeds is extraordinary. Were he a bit bigger (5’9-165) or faster (an above-average skater, but not special in that regard), Bourque would be a surefire lottery pick.
  10. Evan Vierling, Barrie OHL every year, at every position, there is a draft eligible whom I cannot believe is so overlooked and underrated. Vierling is certainly that guy at center in 2020. Vierling’s lack of any discernible flaws gives him the floor of a middle-six center — he is a very good skater, shooter, and passer, who displays a physical edge with his projectable 6’0-180 frame. As a two-way center, he is not far behind Lundell and Zary — he’s smart as hell and shows tremendous anticipation for the play. After a mid-season trade from Flint to Barrie, he tallied 34 points in 28 games, driving a line with Tyson Foerster and never wavering on his defensive responsibilities. Again — no one’s talking about this kid, but if five years down the line he were even better than Lundell and Zary, I would not be shocked. Likely an absolute steal in the 3rd/4th rounds, I would be considering Vierling as early as the late 1st.
  11. Roni Hirvonen, Assat FIN your consolation prize for missing out on Khusnutdinov, Hirvonen is another unbelievable skater with high-end skills and vision with the puck. Despite being yet another undersized pivot at 5’9-165, Hirvonen was excellent in the Finnish men’s league with a tantalizing blend of offensive explosiveness and fearlessness. He reminds me a bit of a young Daniel Briere.
  12. Ridley Greig, Brandon WHL the word which describes this kid is “heart”. Every limitation he has, he has circumvented in one way or another. Not the fastest skater, he accelerates well and is always active and never outpaced. Not the biggest kid, his compete level is so high it’s absurd, and he plays physical. Not a hard shooter, Greig is amazingly accurate with a quick release. He’s a two-way demon and usually the best player on the ice whenever he’s on the ice. A future NHL fan favorite as a do-it-all middle six center.
  13. Tristen Robins, Saskatoon WHL if you’re looking for the Devils’ 6th round steal for 2020, Robins fits all the parameters. Sorely overlooked due to a lack of size and early season production, Robins was moved to center from the wing towards the end of the season and exploded for 16 points in his final 10 games. He’s a tremendous skater which, when combined with a silky set of mitts, makes him incredibly elusive, whether in open ice or traffic. Robins features a deceptively hard and accurate shot and is a pinpoint passer. He needs to build core strength and improve in the face-off dot in order to remain at center, but his defensive play greatly improved over the past season. His upside is as a high-scoring, second line pivot at the NHL level.
  14. Vasily Ponomarev, Shawinigan QMJHL another underrated kid, Ponomarev has all the makings of an excellent, two-way third line center with the upside to score more in a second line role. He’s poised, smart, skilled and plays well. A very good skater, he’s not going to wow you so much as play an effective game, shift in and shift out. His recognition of what is going on around him and unique ability to find the open areas of the ice with and without the puck makes me feel he has more untapped offensive upside.
  15. Ty Smilanic, US-NTDP USHL simply, a very raw prospect with a ton of upside. Though normally US-NTDP players are further along the development curve than most in the USHL, Smilanic’s elite size/blazing speed combo (6’1-180 and one of the top 10 skaters in the draft) leads to flashes of pure brilliance which he struggles to maintain with consistency. His athletic gifts may see him overdraft as early as the late 1st round, but if he slips to the 3rd he has the elements of a future steal.
  16. Jaromir Pitlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL the young Czech’s most dynamic skills are size (6’3-210) and face-off circle dominance. He is not an electrifying skater or offensive dynamo, but he is very solid in both respects. Pytlik could learn to throw his weight around a bit more and engage, but his defensive game is extremely solid. If you give him time to shoot, watch out — Pytlik can really wire the puck. A bit of a project, but a potentially fine payoff as a hulking mid-6 pivot with two-way acumen and offensive punch.
  17. Brendan Brisson, Chicago USHL another kid who could certainly prove my ranking too conservative, as Brisson’s offensive skills certainly outshine several players ahead of him on this list. Brisson has first-round caliber vision and puck skills, but his play without the puck and shooting need to improve in order for him to unlock his enormous potential. A few years at the University of Michigan might give Brisson the development he needs to unlock his top-6 NHL potential.
  18. Thomas Bordeleau, US-NTDP USHL Bordeleau is another player with high-end offensive skills who needs to refine the ancillary aspects of his game in order for his talents to shine. An exceptional shooter and passer, Bordeleau also skates extremely well — a combination which vaulted him to the top of the US-NTDP scoring leaders. Like Brisson, he’ll have several seasons at Michigan to improve his play without the puck and often-maddening penchant for remaining on the perimeter.
  19. Cameron Tolnai, Ottawa OHL you want the Steve Super Sleeper of 2020? Here’s your guy. Granted, I confess to watching the Ottawa 67s more than any other amateur hockey club this past season, but even buried on a powerhouse 67s line-up littered with future NHL forwards, Tolnai found ways to impress me. He features ideal size (6’0-175), skating and skills for an NHL second-line center, he just never had much of an opportunity to display them at the CHL level. When (Devils prospect) Graeme Clarke was activated off the injured list near the end of the season, he was paired with Tolnai and Tolnai’s play exploded — scoring 11 points in his final 8 games, all of them at even strength. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to guess who the Devils 7th round pick would be in the 2020 draft, this is the kid I would pick. He worked magic with Clarke, and I expect his numbers could skyrocket next season as the possible #1 center for Ottawa.
  20. (tie) Ben King, Red Deer WHL/ Dylan Peterson, US-NTDP USHL/ Theo Rochette, Quebec QMJHL checking line centers! Get your checking line centers! None of these kids have particularly awe-inspiring ceilings, but it’s always nice to see your 5th round pick turn into a dependable, smart two-way force on your bottom 6. These kids all are worth mentioning, all three have very high floors and promising NHL futures.

2020 Final Draft Rankings... coming soon!!!
something tells me you messed up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Pete MHL like Mysak, this dazzling talent has an upside just outside the top 4 centers and this bears mentioning despite some uncertainty which slots him down a bit on this list. Khusnutdinov has lightning in his skates, and plays with an unbridled passion and fire. His hands and vision are both elite traits, and despite size limitations at 5’9-165 his compete level and fearlessness will likely keep him at the center position. Khusnutdinov also has a deadly shot which he gets off in a blink and with nasty precision. It is a credit to the class of 2020 that, when ranking the #8 center prospect, we’re still talking about a kid with dynamic, first-line NHL upside.
There is one HFBoard user, who is extremely high on Khusnutdinov. Do you share some of admiration for this small center?
Edit: Writing his name I am not sure I want the Devils to draft him. :oops:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Theo Rochette, Quebec QMJHL checking line centers! Get your checking line centers! None of these kids have particularly awe-inspiring ceilings, but it’s always nice to see your 5th round pick turn into a dependable, smart two-way force on your bottom 6. These kids all are worth mentioning, all three have very high floors and promising NHL futures.
Rochette spurned the Swiss National Team because he thought he could have a future with the Canadian. At this point in time he seems to have lost the bet.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I feel pretty good that we are getting a really good player this year. Much better than I have in many years, even with the 1OAs.

I'm not so optimistic about the other potential 1st round picks, as I feel they will find a way to slide significantly, but we can't lose 7, and there is going to be a really good player there.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
There is one HFBoard user, who is extremely high on Khusnutdinov. Do you share some of admiration for this small center?
Edit: Writing his name I am not sure I want the Devils to draft him. :oops:

I like that guy's write-ups but his ratings are almost a cry for help. Gunler over Perfetti? Wallinder at #17 and Guhle at #33? Oooookay. Normally I would keep reading anyway, but when you describe Perfetti and Mysak as players for whom skating is a drawback and then describe Zion Nybeck as "a speedy winger", it's time to review some tape. When he compared Jake Sanderson to Jonas Brodin, I stopped reading.

As far as Khusnutdinov goes, he's just a stellar prospect. I don't have a single reservation about him, except he's small for a center -- but his compete level is so high and he's so ferocious, I think he could stay up the middle. He's definitely in consideration for my top 20 overall -- his defensive game is excellent, but his offense is just dynamic and dazzling. He's a superb skater with terrific hands and top-end vision.

The writer you linked to may have over-ranked him a bit, sure. But it's true that if the Devils want to draft Khusnutdinov they're going to have to do it with the Vancouver pick. If he falls to the second round, it will just be a result of the fact he will take a few years to come to North America. There are absolutely no warts in this kid's game. He has first line, high-scoring and two-way upside at the NHL level. If he sneaks past Washington in the first round, I couldn't see him getting past Detroit in the second.

Reactions: nugg

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I feel pretty good that we are getting a really good player this year. Much better than I have in many years, even with the 1OAs.

I'm not so optimistic about the other potential 1st round picks, as I feel they will find a way to slide significantly, but we can't lose 7, and there is going to be a really good player there.
You feel better about 7 then you did Jack??

I could understand Nico when talking about draft day - but Jack was seen as a tier below McDavid-level prospects, so a franchise guy

Reactions: glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad