2020 Draft - Pick #187 - Kienan Draper

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At least Draper wasn't a 2nd round pick, like Arizona wasted one for Alexander Ruuttu 2011. I remember Ruuttu was ranked then maybe as 6th-7th rounder. That was total surprise pick so high. Never reached NHL.

His father Christian Ruuttu was then Arizona's Director of European Scouting.

Was fired after that draft. Went to Los Angeles for a scout. It resulted a position swing downwards on his management career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Not even a PPG player as an almost 20 year old in B-tier junior league. Bit shocking, really questioning the upside.

Will see in 4 years if he is something.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Anyone see his play the second half of this season? Statistically, an interesting turn around.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of a weird trajectory, wouldn't USHL to BCHL a bit of a downgrade. Looks like BCHL leaders are scoring about 1.5 PPG. So PPG for a 20 year old with an NHL future doesn't feel all that promising. Starting NCAA hockey at 20 seems a little strange too. I would think most college players start up at 18. Neither here nor there I guess. Still not liking the nepotism pick not that any 7th rounder would have changed the outcome, but it will continue to stand as bad optics.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Starting NCAA hockey at 20 seems a little strange too. I would think most college players start up at 18.

That's what some kids do when they use up their junior hockey eligibility. Hirose did the same thing, BCHL to college at age 20, his brother was 21 when he entered college. DDK was also 20 when he started at Western, Stecher was 19. (All 4 of them played in the BCHL, they were all undrafted)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That's what some kids do when they use up their junior hockey eligibility. Hirose did the same thing, BCHL to college at age 20, his brother was 21 when he entered college. DDK was also 20 when he started at Western, Stecher was 19. (All 4 of them played in the BCHL, they were all undrafted)

Nice I bet colleges kind of recruit them. Would be kind of awesome to hit the campus with some hockey skillz and earn a degree. There is a reasonable chance I'll bump into him I live just down the street from Yost arena.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nice I bet colleges kind of recruit them. Would be kind of awesome to hit the campus with some hockey skillz and earn a degree. There is a reasonable chance I'll bump into him I live just down the street from Yost arena.

It must be pretty common because I just looked up age eligibility rules, and there is a specific exemption for hockey players.

"There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school."

Edit: Oddly, I had looked this up before because I wanted to ski race when I got into grad school. Unfortunately, I was 27. I wound up being the equipment and cabin manager. Equipment manager by default because I was the only one with a pickup truck.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It must be pretty common because I just looked up age eligibility rules, and there is a specific exemption for hockey players.

"There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school."

Edit: Oddly, I had looked this up before because I wanted to ski race when I got into grad school. Unfortunately, I was 27. I wound up being the equipment and cabin manager. Equipment manager by default because I was the only one with a pickup truck.

haha in high school I was too small to play football but all my friends were playing so it was equipment manager or sit it out. So equipment manager it was.

Yeah I think you are right they sort of backed in the juniors into the NCAA path to keep some players an extra development path. That is kind of cool actually.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
When does Scott Wheeler's prospect pool rating drop today? Excited to see if Detroit is #1 or #2 and where Draper is in the top 15 for Detroit.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
He’s a plug - plays like 3 min a night at Michigan and when you watch him he is absolutely clueless. He’s a product of LC bc he asked dad to help him and it’s very apparent he took spots away from kids when he was younger bc his last name was Draper.
Yup sucks... 3 Goals 8 Assists in like 25 Games this year... Get out of here... He probably won't make the NHL but good lord man

Reactions: Konnan511

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He’s a plug - plays like 3 min a night at Michigan and when you watch him he is absolutely clueless. He’s a product of LC bc he asked dad to help him and it’s very apparent he took spots away from kids when he was younger bc his last name was Draper.
Impressive stats for 3 mins a game

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
2013 draft 7 made it 2014-5 , 2015-7, 2016-4, 2017-8, 2018 -3, our favorite 2019 -7 . so average 20 percent , some of them like 1 game played
To play a game or two that makes sense

To actually carve out a career, I'm seeing success rates in the 3-5% range

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: