2020 Draft - 5th Pick: Filip Engaras

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
His swedish pronunciation of his name sounds awesome. I want our play by play announcers and media learn how to say it properly!

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Has had quite the journey just getting on a college team from the sounds of it:
Yearlong penalty only strengthened bond between Filip Engaras, UNH

Could be why's underscouted. One of his teammates said:

"He’s gifted offensively so he does a great job offensively scoring goals and getting to the dirty areas... Fil’s a specimen, on and off the ice. He’s big, he’s strong, but he can move. He can move really well. For example, if you cut back on him, he does a very good job of staying with you, containing you, but he’ll also use his physicality against you, knock you off the puck. It’s tough to play against him.”

Engaras does everything well - he plays hard, skates very well and defends at a high level while carrying enough offensive skill to contribute and take play to the opponent. I could certainly see him fitting a bottom six role as a professional. He reminds me of what Blake Coleman was when he was at Miami OH.

He got the (very) short end of the NCAA stick last season, when he was required, not only to sit out the 2018-19 season, but the first nine games of the 2019-20 campaign due to his short tenure in the SHL. Meanwhile, for some reason, a Lake State freshman who had skated nine games in the SHL was able to play immediately. Missing all of last season is why he was even on the board to be drafted this season...

He should play a top-six center role for UNH this season and have a chance to really develop his offensive game. It's a late round pick, so who knows, but he has a chance to be an NHLer down the road. He's the kind of player fans really appreciate for his effort and attention to all three zones. Looking forward to seeing him skate another season at UNH, where I think he could make a big jump in terms of impact and production...

Last edited:

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Engaras does everything well - he plays hard, skates very well and defends at a high level while carrying enough offensive skill to contribute and take play to the opponent. I could certainly see him fitting a bottom six role as a professional. He reminds me of what Blake Coleman was when he was at Miami OH.

He got the (very) short end of the NCAA stick last season, when he was required, not only to sit out the 2018-19 season, but the first nine games of the 2019-20 campaign due to his short tenure in the SHL. Meanwhile, for some reason, a Lake State freshman who had skated nine games in the SHL was able to play immediately. Missing all of last season is why he was on the board to be drafted this season at all...

He should play a top-six center role for UNH this season and have a chance to really develop his offensive game. Its a sixth-round pick, so who knows, but he has a chance to be an NHLer down the road. He's the kind of player fans really appreciate for his effort and attention to all three zones. Looking forward to seeing him skate another season at UNH, where I think he could make a big jump in terms of impact and production...
Thank you for the update! Much appreciated as many of us are scouring for info on our most mysterious new pick.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Thank you for the update! Much appreciated as many of us are scouring for info on our most mysterious new pick.

Happy to help - there should be plenty of opportunity for Engaras to play key roles on the PP, PK and in the top-6 as UNH is still trying to find its way back to National prominence. The Wildcats were supposed to add Tim Stuetzle and Drew Commesso this season, but Stuetzle turned pro and Commesso switched to BU. So, while it will likely be a longer rebuild, it's nice to see them get on the board with the Engaras pick (and Luke Reid to NSH three spots earlier)...

Reactions: bone and Giggleplex

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Happy to help - there should be plenty of opportunity for Engaras to play key roles on the PP, PK and in the top-6 as UNH is still trying to find its way back to National prominence. The Wildcats were supposed to add Tim Stuetzle and Drew Commesso this season, but Stuetzle turned pro and Commesso switched to BU. So, while it will likely be a longer rebuild, it's nice to see them get on the board with the Engaras pick (and Luke Reid to NSH three spots earlier)...
If you were to stop in a couple times over the season for further updates I can speak for many here and say a big thank you in advance.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
isn't this pick exactly what you are supposed to be doing in the very late rounds? There is zero point in trying to make a safe pick as the chances of a 6th rounder being a significant contributor is low.

The Oilers drafted a guy who sat out an entire year which caused his stock to plummet. He lost an entire year of development while trying to learn a new culture and rink size. I thought that analytics was the art of trying to find under valued assets.

Reactions: Sask97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad