AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: NeverForget06

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I mean I guess just said it:

We need some of these older kids who are closer to making the jump if for no other reason than they're cheap fill-ins during the incoming cap crunch.

That quote was about Gogolev though. No idea about this kid. :(

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Normally I wouldn't care that we used a 6th rounder on this guy but players are on the board that have no business being available this late, like Pashin, Rafkin, Seeley, McClennon, and Kubicek.

Reactions: Whyme

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Overager. Couldn't crack the SHL the last couple years but did decent in the junior league. Now is at NCAA and had an okay first year but a little underwhelming for a 20 year old rookie.

Seems likely a three year project with minimal upside, but who knows. He's only a year younger than Puljujarvi, so....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is a strange one, but I guess Holland's hoping for guys that will be AHL ready sooner rather than later.

Edit: Apparently good faceoff guy, wore the C for two seasons for Skelleftea U20. So leadership n shit

Last edited:

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Lots of international experience for Sweden, played at the u-18's and world juniors for Sweden. I think this is another Holland late rounder where people are like "who" but might turn into something good. Captain for Skelleftea junior team in sweden so he has leadership qualities.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Has had quite the journey just getting on a college team from the sounds of it:
https://www.seacoastonline.com/spor...y-strengthened-bond-between-filip-engaras-unh
Yearlong penalty only strengthened bond between Filip Engaras, UNH

Could be why's underscouted. One of his teammates said:

"He’s gifted offensively so he does a great job offensively scoring goals and getting to the dirty areas... Fil’s a specimen, on and off the ice. He’s big, he’s strong, but he can move. He can move really well. For example, if you cut back on him, he does a very good job of staying with you, containing you, but he’ll also use his physicality against you, knock you off the puck. It’s tough to play against him.”

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Holland has a bit of a reputation for knowing his Swedes, so he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me on this one right now.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Lots of international experience for Sweden, played at the u-18's and world juniors for Sweden. I think this is another Holland late rounder where people are like "who" but might turn into something good. Captain for Skelleftea junior team in sweden so he has leadership qualities.

Yeah, I guess his resume isn't too much different than Datsyuk and Zetterberg's when they were selected very late as overagers, but he is a bit older than they were. Let's hope lightning strikes a third time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Has had quite the journey just getting on a college team from the sounds of it:
Yearlong penalty only strengthened bond between Filip Engaras, UNH

Could be why's underscouted. One of his teammates said:

"He’s gifted offensively so he does a great job offensively scoring goals and getting to the dirty areas... Fil’s a specimen, on and off the ice. He’s big, he’s strong, but he can move. He can move really well. For example, if you cut back on him, he does a very good job of staying with you, containing you, but he’ll also use his physicality against you, knock you off the puck. It’s tough to play against him.”

Like the sound of that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Overager. Couldn't crack the SHL the last couple years but did decent in the junior league. Now is at NCAA and had an okay first year but a little underwhelming for a 20 year old rookie.

Seems likely a three year project with minimal upside, but who knows. He's only a year younger than Puljujarvi, so....

That's not necessarily true. If he had his eye on NCAA he would've deliberately avoided SHL as you're not allowed to play college if you played pro. Not uncommon thing to do.

EDIT: I see he played 6 games in SHL, but was likely never signed to a pro contract so I guess there's a loophole there.

Anyway I don't get this pick at all. Never understand what GM's think when they make these late round picks. A lot of them makes zero sense and have little to no upside.

Reactions: B33K33PING and bone

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
That's not necessarily true. If he had his eye on NCAA he would've deliberately avoided SHL as you're not allowed to play college if you played pro. Not uncommon thing to do.

EDIT: I see he played 6 games in SHL, but was likely never signed to a pro contract so I guess there's a loophole there.

Anyway I don't get this pick at all. Never understand what GM's think when they make these late round picks. A lot of them makes zero sense and have little to no upside.
Seems like he had to sit out from playing NCAA games for over a year because of those games. THE UNH MEN'S HOCKEY BLOG: After Enduring Lengthy Ineligibility, Filip Engarås Set For UNH Debut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad