Series Talk: 2020 Avs Playoffs | Round 2: Dallas Stars

Pick the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Both teams proved last night they're just as prone to defensive breakdowns as the Avalanche. TBH I don't think Brayden McNabb is much better than either Zadorov or Cole, but I could be wrong. They have Nick effing Holden in a top-four role so that's telling to me. I like Schmidt and Theodore a lot but beyond that I don't love that defensive corps. Unless Zach Whitecloud is some stud-in-waiting and I'm missing something but all I ever see him do is find ways to faceplant into the boards and stuff.
Uhhh... Holden is not in their top 4. He's their #6. Their top 4 is Martinez-Theodore and McNabb-Schmidt. Holden-Whitecloud is their bottom pairing and Holden is a pure 6... and he gets FAR too much hate around here. He isn't a top 4 guy, but he's a good bottom pairing guy on any team in the league. Whitecloud isn't anything special, but he's going to be a NHL player for a long time. Maybe low end 4 at his peak.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Uhhh... Holden is not in their top 4. He's their #6. Their top 4 is Martinez-Theodore and McNabb-Schmidt. Holden-Whitecloud is their bottom pairing and Holden is a pure 6... and he gets FAR too much hate around here. He isn't a top 4 guy, but he's a good bottom pairing guy on any team in the league. Whitecloud isn't anything special, but he's going to be a NHL player for a long time. Maybe low end 4 at his peak.

I could swear I've seen Holden take some even strength shifts with Schmidt, but maybe I'm just seeing things or they just got caught together in the middle of a change.

And I'm fairly certain the "Holden Hate Around Here" is about 90% me. :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I could swear I've seen Holden take some even strength shifts with Schmidt, but maybe I'm just seeing things or they just got caught together in the middle of a change.

I am at least 1 of the other 10%, now if only I was in the 1% financially.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

He has ~15 minutes with him in all situations during the playoffs out of 230. There is the odd shift or time they might get caught out there, but they don't play together as a pairing. He's squarely with Whitecloud.

I see it from others frequently too. Don't get me wrong, he's not a great player by any stretch... but no bottom pairing guys are. He's a cheap bottom pairing guy that has enough skating and ability that he can play up for spurts... you just need to keep enough talent ahead of him so the coach keeps him on the bottom pairing. We are probably going to have the same cycle with Graves here soon, and need to do the same.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe I'm overexaggerating my observations of his first two years in Colorado, where he was absolutely the epitome of a feast-or-famine guy. Put the puck in the net seemingly at will that first very truncated season he had in Colorado, and then was an unmitigated disaster in Year Two, at least defensively. Then rounded out a little better in Year Three.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He has ~15 minutes with him in all situations during the playoffs out of 230. There is the odd shift or time they might get caught out there, but they don't play together as a pairing. He's squarely with Whitecloud.

I see it from others frequently too. Don't get me wrong, he's not a great player by any stretch... but no bottom pairing guys are. He's a cheap bottom pairing guy that has enough skating and ability that he can play up for spurts... you just need to keep enough talent ahead of him so the coach keeps him on the bottom pairing. We are probably going to have the same cycle with Graves here soon, and need to do the same.

No one can ice the puck unforced like that dude.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No one can ice the puck unforced like that dude.
1147492302.jpg.jpg

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Ugh I'm still heart broken over this series. So many f***ing injuries and such a shit way to lose when we were up with less than 4 minutes left. We need to go for it next season full balls on the table mode.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Ugh I'm still heart broken over this series. So many f***ing injuries and such a shit way to lose when we were up with less than 4 minutes left. We need to go for it next season full balls on the table mode.

I think about it a lot too. With a normal goalie this would've been an Avs victory.

Reactions: missionAvs

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Maybe a team meeting before every game does the trick, because otherwise this won't happen with Bednar at the helm.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Speaking of Nemeth, that's a guy we could've used in the playoffs. Pit him on the PK instead of Graves and we are probably still playing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like to hate on the idea of Nick Holden. The defensemen that we as fans can see is nothing more than a 3rd pairing defensemen but can trick coaches into more playing time.

That's Ryan Graves right now.

**** Ryan Graves.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Eh, it's shitty but at if Tampa loses to the Islanders, that would be so much worse.

I really hope they win it this year, because they'll be hungry as hell next season if they don't. Even if they lose 2 of Killorn/Gourde/Johnson I have a very hard time seeing any team beating them when they're healthy.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Eh, it's shitty but at if Tampa loses to the Islanders, that would be so much worse.

I really hope they win it this year, because they'll be hungry as hell next season if they don't. Even if they lose 2 of Killorn/Gourde/Johnson I have a very hard time seeing any team beating them when they're healthy.

It's not even the series loss that gets me that much, it's the manner in which they lost the game 7 that really upsets me. Very reminiscent of the Wild series game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad