GDT: 2020 ALDS: (1) Tampa Bay Rays vs (5) New York Yankees - TB wins 3-2

TB vs NYY

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well, at least I won't have to through another handful of war of words with BKGlassHalfEmpty.

At least with punk-a-holic and TropicalFruitGal, there'll be less vitrol and I can actually discuss baseball from a glass half full perspective.

Last edited:

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Man, the Yankees, their media, and the national media spent all offseason b*tching and whining about how they got screwed in 2017...invented all sorts of phantom allegations how they might have gotten screwed last year (that Chapman homer looked familiar)....they got MLB to bury any potential evidence on their own cheating allegations....signed the great Cole.....and.....they go out in the first round.

What will the excuses be this offseason lol?

I'm sure the TV networks are vomiting at the thought of a TB-Hou LCS. How marvelous.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow what factoid they threw in at the end.

first go-ahead homer in a series deciding game against these Yankees in the 8th inning or later since Bill Mazeroski

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Tampa Bay is trying to become the first city since 1933 to win both the Stanley Cup and the World Series in the same year.

New York Rangers and New York Giants were the teams in 1933.

The only other time it has happened was 1928, which was also New York. It was the Rangers and Yankees that year.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Man, the Yankees, their media, and the national media spent all offseason b*tching and whining about how they got screwed in 2017...invented all sorts of phantom allegations how they might have gotten screwed last year (that Chapman homer looked familiar)....they got MLB to bury any potential evidence on their own cheating allegations....signed the great Cole.....and.....they go out in the first round.

What will the excuses be this offseason lol?

I'm sure the TV networks are vomiting at the thought of a TB-Hou LCS. How marvelous.

Here’s the thing though.... start promoting other teams and markets other than NY/BOS/CHI/LA.

Do it based on which teams are good and has exciting players. That way it doesn’t matter if a large market goes deep in the playoffs, people will want to watch still because there is good baseball happening and top notch talent.

Get fans to care about that instead and you’ll never have problems.

Crazy ideas, I know...

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Here’s the thing though.... start promoting other teams and markets other than NY/BOS/CHI/LA.

Do it based on which teams are good and has exciting players. That way it doesn’t matter if a large market goes deep in the playoffs, people will want to watch still because there is good baseball happening and top notch talent.

Crazy ideas, I know...
Not gonna work, MLB is a very regional sport. If their team isn't in people are not gonna tune in like they do for NFL.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Crazy ideas, I know...

But how do you promote the Rays?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not gonna work, MLB is a very regional sport. If their team isn't in people are not gonna tune in like they do for NFL.

I mean the goal should be to grow your sport fan base and educate them on the game. Get them to appreciate great players and great matchups regardless of the markets.

It takes an actual commitment to highlighting and promoting outside of the lazy and easy ways they’ve done forever.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I mean the goal should be to grow your sport fan base and educate them on the game. Get them to appreciate great players and great matchups regardless of the markets.

It takes an actual commitment to highlighting and promoting outside of the lazy and easy ways they’ve done forever.
Kinda hard to do that when your best player plays in Anaheim tbh.

Also you don't think they've been trying to grow their fan base?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But how do you promote the Rays?

Some people might hate-watch the Astros. But yeah I don't see the playoff ratings being that high the rest of the way unless you get the Armageddon rematch in the World Series. Then ratings might shoot through the roof all things considered.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Kinda hard to do that when your best player plays in Anaheim tbh.

Sure its super hard if you don’t try at all. And also SoCal is a huge market but more importantly baseball isn’t trying at all.

You’re basically saying you can’t market or promote player unless their on the Yankeees which is just an insane position to start with. Of course if that’s the only way you think it will work then that’s the only way it will work. You haven’t tried anything else.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The little engine that could. The team that thinks outside the box and outsmarts it’s opponents... but also, like it’s not my job to market the Rays. It’s theirs. Go f***ing do it.

The Rays can't even market to their own fanbase, much less nationally. I don't think MLB can solve a problem Tampa's own organization can't.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Rays can't even market to their own fanbase. I don't think MLB can solve a problem Tampa's own organization can't.

Yeah I’d agree. Marketing the game and most teams in general in the league is pretty sad. There’s no personality in the game. I mean maybe it’s coming with guys like Tatis Jr, etc but baseball has been so rigid and staunch in keeping it an old boys club that people have tuned it out to a large degrees. The casual fan doesn’t follow the news of what’s going on, who the top players are, etc. Just fall back on the same old same old.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If they couldn't market the Rays when they had Longoria......... who's their guy you market?

The NHL does a better job at this with Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad