Prospect Info: 2020 57th Overall Pick | C Jack Finley

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
The sixth overall pick in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Spokane Chiefs centre Jack Finley literally towers over his competition in the WHL. With a September 2002 birthdate, he is one of the younger players in this draft class. Still just 17, he already comes in at 6-foot-6, and may still be growing. Finley struggled to find ice time as WHL rookie, and his numbers show that. He put up nine goals and 19 points in 63 games. Finley started to turn the corner in last year’s playoffs as he put up one goal and seven assists for eight points in 15 games. He also played for Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up two assists in five games.

Finley really broke out this past season with a top-six role. He scored 19 goals and 38 assists and 57 points in 61 games before the season was cancelled due to COVID-19. Finley comes from excellent hockey bloodlines. His father, Jeff Finley was a third-round pick by the New York Islanders in 1985. He played 708 NHL games for five NHL teams. His younger brother, Mason Finley was drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the 2019 WHL Draft.

Jack Finley Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #63 - Last Word on Hockey

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bob McKenzie had him ranked 55th

19 goals + 38 assists = 57 points in 61 games

Just turned 18 in Spetember

Craig Button:

"Still maturing with lots of potential. Upside is the word to use with him. Has an ease to his skill and thinking but is still finding his way physically. Could be an imposing centre in time."

Projection: Middle-Six Two-Way Centre
Comparable: Carl Soderberg

SkatingHockey SenseCompetitivenessScoring TouchShot
2.5/54/53/53.5/53/5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

"His game has come a really long way," Central Scouting's John Williams said. "I first saw him as a 15-year-old, and even as a 16-year-old last year he had some trouble at times. He's a big kid and he had a little bit of trouble with the pace at times. Part of it had to do with a lack of strength in his legs and he just couldn't get up and down [the ice] as well, would tire easily. He's obviously really worked at it, he's improved significantly. ... He's a very smart player. His details are very good, his positioning is very good, good face-off guy, uses his reach very well defensively, takes away space, takes away lanes, takes away time for guys. Offensively I think he's more of a pass-first kind of guy. He sees it well, he's good down low, using his reach, taking a hit along the boards and still being able to use his reach to get the puck to an open guy."
Finley said St. Louis Blues center Ryan O'Reilly is one player he tries to pay close attention to when he watches NHL games because of how committed O'Reilly is to playing a 200-foot game.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Wonder if he can skate well given his size.

Skating was 2.5/5 from what was listed in the thread

Traded up to get this kid, last time we traded up I believe was to get Point. They must really like him if they pulled this deal off to get him.

My personal take is, I absolutely love big skilled centers. I don't know anything about him, but this organization has lacked an imposing and skilled center since Lecavalier left, the matchup problems they can create are huge. The question is if he can reach his upside.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
More from Craig Button:

"I've watched Jack since he was 13. Son of former NHLer Jeff Finley. Jack was a player who was talked about at a young age. You know, I got lucky being able to see him play as a bantam, only because I happened to be in the Okanagan and my cousin was there so I had gone to see a couple bantam games and Jack was there. When you're 14 and you're that big, and you're 15 and you're that big, there's an awkwardness to you. You know the quotation you're kinda like a "baby giraffe." You're trying to get everything in order. I think that's where Jack is."

"Jack was a very gifted, skilled player. He could keep everyone at bay. He could hold the puck and play keep away. Here's some of the things I feel Jack has done a really exceptionally well over the course of the last year - So you come into your draft year, you end up with the U-18 team and he doesn't make it, and you learn that 'hey maybe I can't do the same things, but what do I have to do now to be effective with my size?' I thought that Jack really learned. You know it's one thing when you get the puck out in front of you and other players can take the puck away from you, and knock your stick, and it doesn't matter that you're 6'5". You gotta get in there and use your body to assert and protect the puck. Use your body to say 'yeah, you're gonna come through my body to get to the puck. You're not going to be able to just knock it off my stick.' I thought he became much more confident and aware of how that size and how that length works for him and to his advantage. Secondly to that, as you become stronger, you also become a little more confident shooter. I saw a real significant jump up in his assertiveness. I don't think Jack lacks competitiveness and maybe people might have suggested that. I just think that as he matures, he'll gain that confidence to be more assertive. When you're younger and the best player, and he was, you don't really have to be assertive at times. That's not an inherent flaw in Jack. It's a developmental flaw."

"I see some similarities between Jack and Morgan Geekie. Morgan in his first draft year, people say he went through a draft, but no, nobody missed him. It was just one of those scenarios where he wasn't ready to show everything he had. I think with Jack, expectations were high, being a high pick in the WHL draft, but I see Jack really growing. Hey, Morgan Geekie was great for the Carolina Hurricanes farm team when they won the AHL Championship. He's playing now with the Carolina Hurricanes. I think he's going to be a really good player for a lot of years. But again, it not only speaks to what players are asked to do, but watching that progression..."

"He can handle the puck in tight. He can make plays in tight. When you talk about the ability to make those plays in and around the net and be an offensive player, Jack has those. What I call those types of hands, I call those finishing hands."

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Is this what’s on tv in Canada?? Because this is awesome
A local filmmaker was given the go ahead to do this documentary thing about Jack back in his 2nd bantam season. I think if I remember correctly it was a 4 part series and was released to YouTube or on Shaw a western Canadian channel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad