Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Who is Luke Tuch?
While the 2nd round is an extension of the first and tends to see skilled players with good numbers get selected, Tuch didn’t have game-breaking statistics with the US development program in the USHL. Reason for that? He was asked to play a checking role with players of the same caliber in order to allow teammates higher up to get favorable zone starts and puck possession. If he had played higher up or given better offensive zone responsibilities he'd have recorded more than 14 points in 19 games...
For a big forward he has really good skills. He skates well, has better hands than you’d expect and owns a good release whether on the rush or in position for a one timer. He’s also a serious net presence and scored more than a few goals in and around the goalie’s crease. His play is mostly done on the wall and below the circle. He knows where he has to go to be dangerous.
While he can play the game with a certain level of skill, his bread and butter is his ability to play the power side of power forward. The tenacious winger has the pest aspect of Matthew Tkachuk and can add serious bite to every play. He manages to use his full frame to drive the net on a rush or control the puck on the boards and in tight. His use of his frame for offense and defense is what makes Luke an invaluable player to any team he plays on.
He’s committed to Boston University of the Hockey East conference where he'll be able to continue playing the power forward style of game he has excelled at while working on the skilled and offensive part which he didn't in the USHL. Expect Tuch to produce at a better rate with good linemates... He can produce more than what the statistics show. He should've a positive progression in his first college season.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-10-19_15-22-11.png

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Really hope he turns out better than Mccarron. How do they compare at the same age? I know his skating is better but anything else?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"No chance" is a little strong.

A year in college followed by a year in Laval is far from unreasonable. I agree that it is more likely 2 years in college followed by a year in Laval but to say that any sooner than that is impossible is a little overstated.

Why would the habs sign him to a contract after 1 year in college?

Unless he has a dominant season in his 1st year (unlikely), there is no reason to have him go the ahl the year after.

They didnt do it with Caufield, and they didnt do it with Poehling who has the same physical tools as Tuch and who was also very good in college.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really hope he turns out better than Mccarron. How do they compare at the same age? I know his skating is better but anything else?

I haven't had the chance to see much of Tuch yet, but will be watching some full games of his soon.

Here's the stats on the two who oddly enough were born on the same day 7 years apart.

At the international level the edge goes to McCarron,

U-18's - McCarron 5 pts in 7 games.
Tuch didn't play for Team USA

U-17 - McCarron 2 pts in 5 games
Tuch 1 pt in 5 games

With USNDTP in their draft year,

McCarron
USDP - 59-16-21-37 182 pims
USHL - 19-5-5-10 84 pims
total - 78-21-26-47 266 pims

Tuch
USDP - 47-15-15-30 30 pims
USHL - 19-8-6-14 8 pims
total - 68-21-21-44 38 pims

so McCarron looks like he was one angry dude to rack up 266 pims in 78 games, both put up similar offense, Tuch at a .65 ppg to McCarron's .6

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why would the habs sign him to a contract after 1 year in college?

Unless he has a dominant season in his 1st year (unlikely), there is no reason to have him go the ahl the year after.

They didnt do it with Caufield, and they didnt do it with Poehling who has the same physical tools as Tuch and who was also very good in college.

I never said it was likely but you have changed your stance from "no chance" to "unlikely" which is exactly the point that I was making.

Poehling was hardly dominant in his D+1 season and Caufield still has serious work to do on his dzone play and is still trying to adjust to playing against bigger/stronger players. For a player of Caufield's size you would like to see him produce at a higher rate than a PPG before signing him so early in his development.

Tuch could possibly have a Pacioretty like D+1 and be signed just as Pacioretty was. This is unlikely but not impossible........

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I never said it was likely but you have changed your stance from "no chance" to "unlikely" which is exactly the point that I was making.

Poehling was hardly dominant in his D+1 season and Caufield still has serious work to do on his dzone play and is still trying to adjust to playing against bigger/stronger players. For a player of Caufield's size you would like to see him produce at a higher rate than a PPG before signing him so early in his development.

Tuch could possibly have a Pacioretty like D+1 and be signed just as Pacioretty was. This is unlikely but not impossible........

The chance of that happening is extremely slim. Tuch's biggest knock is his offensive upside, so him having a ppg season in his 1st year is unrealistic.
And even if he managed to do that, that doesn't mean we have to sign him asap. We can still leave him another year to improve the other aspects of his game. Plenty of players had solid 1st year, and still came back the 2nd year (Boeser, his own brother Alex, etc.).
The habs are also in no rush to give contracts to their prospects. That's a big reason why they've been drafting so many players taking the college route.

I can't think of a single good reason to have him go to the ahl after 1 year of college. What would those reasons be?

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The chance of that happening is extremely slim. Tuch's biggest knock is his offensive upside, so him having a ppg season in his 1st year is unrealistic.
And even if he managed to do that, that doesn't mean we have to sign him asap. We can still leave him another year to improve the other aspects of his game. Plenty of players had solid 1st year, and still came back the 2nd year (Boeser, his own brother Alex, etc.).
The habs are also in no rush to give contracts to their prospects. That's a big reason why they've been drafting so many players taking the college route.

I can't think of a single good reason to have him go to the ahl after 1 year of college. What would those reasons be?

There is nothing to be explained......just pointing out that the use of hyperbole is never a good approach.

Reactions: Acadien86

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
@montreal Do you know if BU games are streamed for free or whatever? Would like to watch Tuch when their season starts...

Edit: CBS all access should do the job, 6 bucks a month for any interested...

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
@montreal Do you know if BU games are streamed for free or whatever? Would like to watch Tuch when their season starts...

Edit: CBS all access should do the job, 6 bucks a month for any interested...

I had CBS all access last year, it's a good deal for the money as you get tv shows and some movies too. The customer service sucked as I tried to find out what was going on with the on demand, at first they were putting games up by the next morning then it started being a week later, then none at all. I asked and they told me they don't have on demand so I asked what were the games from over a month ago but they just didn't get back to me.

Other then that it was worth the money.

Reactions: Goldenhands

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I like that McGuire's been talking about Luke Tuch for a while now.

But I've seen nothing that will indicate he'll score like Max. He may still be able to have an impact on the game. But I'm more expecting that impact to be more like a Stephane Matteau, Brian Noonan effect. At best offensively a Tom Wilson or even Josh Anderson.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I like that McGuire's been talking about Luke Tuch for a while now.

But I've seen nothing that will indicate he'll score like Max. He may still be able to have an impact on the game. But I'm more expecting that impact to be more like a Stephane Matteau, Brian Noonan effect. At best offensively a Tom Wilson or even Josh Anderson.

McGuire is an idiot with zero credibility.

Tuch will never skate like Pacioretty and likely projects as more of a physical presence than an offensive presence. I am fine with the pick as he has enough upside to justify the selection and his development will be interesting to follow.

Reactions: overlords

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
McGuire is an idiot with zero credibility.

Tuch will never skate like Pacioretty and likely projects as more of a physical presence than an offensive presence. I am fine with the pick as he has enough upside to justify the selection and his development will be interesting to follow.

I wouldn't say McGuire is an idiot and has zero credibility. He'll get things wrong (ex Price). But he gets a lot right. Ex he said going into the Flyers series that the Candiens have to be carefull not to get behind, as the Flyers have a really good shutdown game. they use their big rangy dmen, have a good forecheck, and Carter Hart can get hit. He pretty much called the series in advance. Another example is he said, in advance of the draft, there are a lot of good prospects from u.s. high schools and ushl that will be available in the 4th and 5th rounds. Is it a coincidence we took 4 such prospects in the 4th and 5th rounds?

As for Tuch, I don't dislike the pick. I'll be very interested to see what he is. I just haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate he can score like Pacioretty.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He seems like a player that won’t put up many points in the regular season but thrive in the playoffs. Most likely a bottom 6 player but if he develops right, you play him in the top 6 to make room for teammates. A Wilson or Anderson would be his ceiling.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad