Prospect Info: 2020 3rd Rd Selection - #64 OA (via OTT) - RD Topi Niemela (Karpat) - 6'0 163

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Only pick ive really liked so far tbh. I don’t hate who we took with 15. I’m gonna trust Dubas with this one

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I really like this pick.
Watched the DraftDynasty analysis of him a month ago and was impressed.
Nothing really top end but solid all around, smart and plays with necessary intensity.
Needs to get a bit stronger.
Reminds me of Stralman lite a bit.

Funny thing is mynhldraft actually had us taking him in the 2nd round at #44.

That trade down looks tremendous. We select a guy at #64 that not many would have had a huge issue if he was selected #44.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like a Sami Vatanen kind of mid range pick. Like when your team pick a Jamie Devane and then someone else snags a puck mover with upside.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Seems like the Leafs are taking a lot of guys that many public draft boards have way higher but slipped.

Is our scouting team miles ahead of everyone else, is there an issue with Euro players this year, or are we missing some gaping flaws on these guys?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I like the kid's skill level... But 160lbs? Hopefully he has grown. Even 30lbs from now he's going to get brutalized by the cycle in the playoffs and struggle to clear the front of the net.

I'm not a big "size" guy, and I understand that it's easier to get it already matured, rather than at 17-19 in the draft, but at what point do you just have a system full of the same kids that play a soft game?

Again, love the skill level, but if this is essentially Sandin light, how many of those guys can you have on one d-core?

Looking at weight for just drafted teenagers is a complete noob trap. It's utterly meaningless. These guys are unlikely to play before they're 22-24 years old. His frame is 6ft. He'll play at 180 to 210lbs.

Reactions: Havoc

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Looking at weight for just drafted teenagers is a complete noob trap. It's utterly meaningless. These guys are unlikely to play before they're 22-24 years old. His frame is 6ft. He'll play at 180 to 210lbs.

Lol at you suggesting this kid is going to gain upwards of 50lbs...

A noob trap is thinking that these kids all have the absolutely elite genetics / work ethic that would take.

High school corners don't grow from 5'11.5, 160lbs to 210lbs in the NFL, 5 years later... And they are insanely dedicated to strength and conditioning on another level from that of most NHL'ers.

I'll eat my crow if this kid plays over 185lbs, which is towards the bottom of your projection. Now, could he be a good player at 185lbs? Sure he could be.

But people routinely exaggerate how much a skinny kid like this is going to grow. I'll eat my shoe if he ever approaches 210lbs. That's Sid Crosby's build at 5'11.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh brother.....good grief.

i can have my opinion. And as I’ve said. I don’t hate our pick at 15. I think he’s got potential, he’s going to be a very good player. He’s just something we already have. That’s all.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Lol at you suggesting this kid is going to gain upwards of 50lbs...

A noob trap is thinking that these kids all have the absolutely elite genetics / work ethic that would take.

High school corners don't grow from 5'11.5, 160lbs to 210lbs in the NFL, 5 years later... And they are insanely dedicated to strength and conditioning on another level from that of most NHL'ers.

I'll eat my crow if this kid plays over 185lbs, which is towards the bottom of your projection. Now, could he be a good player at 185lbs? Sure he could be.

But people routinely exaggerate how much a skinny kid like this is going to grow. I'll eat my shoe if he ever approaches 210lbs. That's Sid Crosby's build at 5'11.
Colleges don't want a 160lb cover corner to put on 50 pounds. They'd lose too much speed.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Colleges don't want a 160lb cover corner to put on 50 pounds. They'd lose too much speed.

I spent years working around college football players. Many of them couldn't put on that weight in an athletic manner, even if they tried. Unless you want this kid looking like prime pudgy Kessel, the idea that he's going to play at upwards of 210lbs is laughable, IMO. If he puts on 25lbs of lean muscle and plays in the 185lbs range that would be impressive. 45-50lbs on his frame, given where he is now, is prime delusion IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad