Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part VIII: Intra-Playoff Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Does Draisaitl care about playing 2nd fiddle to McDavid? Malkin to Crosby? Tavares to Matthews? Backstrom to Kuznetsov?

These things always have ways of working. Especially if you loaded up PP1 with all of Eichel, MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog.

I still want Sakic to go all in on Eichel. Don't know how he does it, but would love for it to happen. A one-two punch of MacKinnon/Eichel down the middle for at minimum the next two Stanley Cup runs is too good to pass up.

That would be a terrible idea. The lack of star power isn't why we lost to Vegas. The lack of depth was.

Look at 3 of the 4 teams left playing. Montreal, Vegas and NY have very little star players but they roll 4 lines and attack every shift. They all have very deep lineups and have players that can move up or down if injuries hit. We lose Kadri and our entire forward group is in shambles.

We couldn't do that and if we trade for Eichel our depth would be even worse.

Sign Danault and sign Blake Coleman or trade for Miles Wood. Get some toughness on the 4th line to bring some nastiness to our team and that would be better than adding Eichel.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I decided to give CapFriendly's GM tool a try and lets just say I didn't realize just how tough it might be for Sakic and co if Makar and Landeskog get top dollar. I had around $4M left in cap space and didn't have a starting goalie yet. My only outside additions were Oleksiak and Stastny at reasonable prices (I think it was a combined $6.5M cap hit) and I could barely fill out the roster. That was also while I bought out EJ and sent Graves to Seattle in the expansion draft, which there is no guarantee of.

Hopefully they can get creative and do something about Compher because that contract stands out the most. Donskoi isn't great either but at least he kinda contributes and you need another wing in the top nine.
Buyout Compher.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Go back to when the salary cap was implemented and look at all of the teams to win with their 1/2 C's:

2006 Carolina: Staal/Brind'Amour
2007 Anaheim: McDonald/Getzlaf
2008 Detroit: Datsyuk/Zetterberg
2009 Pittsburgh: Crosby/Malkin
2010 Chicago: Toews/Sharp
2011 Boston: Bergeron/Krejci
2012 L.A: Kopitar/Carter
2013 Chicago: Toews/Sharp
2014 L.A.: Kopitar/Carter
2015 Chicago: Toews/Richards
2016 Pittsburgh: Crosby/Malkin
2017 Pittsburgh: Crosby/Malkin
2018 Washington: Kuznetsov/Backstrom
2019 St. Louis: O'Reilly/Schenn
2020 Tampa Bay: Point/Cirelli

Tell me where the Avs come close on that list right now? 2015 when Chicago had Toews and a clearly declining Brad Richards as their 2C? 2007 when Anaheim had a still very young Ryan Getzlaf as 2C?

The point of this is, 1/2 punches down the middle are so damn dangerous and almost every single Stanley Cup winning team has that element on their roster. You don't win with one great centre unless the other three centres combined are playing good hockey. In Chicago's case in 2015 they had Antoine Vermette and Dave Bolland in the 3/4 slots, that is VERY good and luxurious to have.

Nazem Kadri has proven he cannot be relied upon in the playoffs three times now. You either ship his ass out, or you bring in someone better and demote him to the 3C slot.
Word. People might bring up that Tampa team but look at the supporting cast on that roster and you can see why they could get away with winning with Cirelli as their #2C guy. Not to diminish Cirelli because I think hes great but hes not exactly on the same level as those other #2's.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Word. People might bring up that Tampa team but look at the supporting cast on that roster and you can see why they could get away with winning with Cirelli as their #2C guy. Not to diminish Cirelli because I think hes great but hes not exactly on the same level as those other #2's.
I mean Cirelli isn’t a Malkin or anything but there are few C’s better than him defensively. And his offense has come around decently to where he looks to be a ~45 guy. He isn’t a sexy name or a big name but the dudes freaking good.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Go back to when the salary cap was implemented and look at all of the teams to win with their 1/2 C's:

Tell me where the Avs come close on that list right now? 2015 when Chicago had Toews and a clearly declining Brad Richards as their 2C? 2007 when Anaheim had a still very young Ryan Getzlaf as 2C?

The point of this is, 1/2 punches down the middle are so damn dangerous and almost every single Stanley Cup winning team has that element on their roster. You don't win with one great centre unless the other three centres combined are playing good hockey. In Chicago's case in 2015 they had Antoine Vermette and Dave Bolland in the 3/4 slots, that is VERY good and luxurious to have.

Nazem Kadri has proven he cannot be relied upon in the playoffs three times now. You either ship his ass out, or you bring in someone better and demote him to the 3C slot.

You can even extend this to 3Cs through there too... Tampa had Gourde, St Louis had Bozak, Washington had Eller, Pitt has Bonino, LA had Stoll/Richards, Chicago in 2013 had Bolland/Krueger/Handzus... etc etc. Chicago has probably had the weakest center groups of any of the winners and they still had some solid guys and surrounded them with better high end talent and a 1C that was great defensively. When Nashville played in the finals, they arguably lost to Pittsburgh because they lost RyJo in the conference finals.

In the NHL you simply need to have center depth to handle the slog in the playoffs. It might not trigger until the finals or conference finals... sometimes it will trigger early with an unlucky match up, but it certainly will trigger at some point.

Reactions: nammerus

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Cirelli is high end defensively and should be a mid 50s guy... but as much as that, they have Gourde too who is a similar level player. They have an elite 1C with two good 2Cs and a rotation of meh at 4C where they may just double shift one of the top 3. Though Johnson has been good in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Cirelli is high end defensively and should be a mid 50s guy... but as much as that, they have Gourde too who is a similar level player. They have an elite 1C with two good 2Cs and a rotation of meh at 4C where they may just double shift one of the top 3. Though Johnson has been good in the playoffs this year.

The Tampa Cs are light years ahead of the Avs from a two way perspective

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Tampa Cs are light years ahead of the Avs from a two way perspective

Yup... you could choose any of their top 3 and they are better defensively than any of the Avs centers... and beyond MacK, they are all better offensively too. Point might not be better than MacK on the offensive side, but he's only a very slight step down while being great defensively.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean Cirelli isn’t a Malkin or anything but there are few C’s better than him defensively. And his offense has come around decently to where he looks to be a ~45 guy. He isn’t a sexy name or a big name but the dudes freaking good.
True but he's not the caliber of those other guys. Like I stated I think hes great and hes having a great start to his career on the verge of another finals appearance in so many years.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
giphy.gif

My God , i have no words . :rolleyes:she's probably a spoiled bratt and yet angry at the world.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

I've been on the "ship Kadri's ass out" train since early in the season.
You've made your point, but how many of those duos were the percentage of the cap that a re-signed Mack and Eichel will be?
Before you answer that, know I really don't care...lol.

Like I said, it could be a good idea. It could be terrible. Nate and Eichel seem to be different types of players. Nate may be immature, but Eichel seems like a prima donna and someone pointed out a place where anonymous GMs made comments about him being like that since he was 16 or something like that. No, I doubt I can find it on here and don't care to look.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
I decided to give CapFriendly's GM tool a try and lets just say I didn't realize just how tough it might be for Sakic and co if Makar and Landeskog get top dollar. I had around $4M left in cap space and didn't have a starting goalie yet. My only outside additions were Oleksiak and Stastny at reasonable prices (I think it was a combined $6.5M cap hit) and I could barely fill out the roster. That was also while I bought out EJ and sent Graves to Seattle in the expansion draft, which there is no guarantee of.

Hopefully they can get creative and do something about Compher because that contract stands out the most. Donskoi isn't great either but at least he kinda contributes and you need another wing in the top nine.

But we're trading for JMFE...

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

It looks even worse when you add the 3C's for comparison.

Sakic missed the memo. Actually, he burnt the memo and took a giant dump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad