Salary Cap: 2020-21 Salary Cap

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
4th team's the charm? Small sample size, but both New Jersey and Arizona got worse when he arrived, and then Edmonton and New Jersey improved when he left. That doesn't feel like a coincidence, especially considering the rumors about him being a bad teammate. The Bruins have the leadership to handle that, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sweeney's heard enough to stay away.

Edm never improved They missed the playoffs.Hall went and won the Hart.He is a hell of alot better player then Kase and you can take that to the bank.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Krug, Chara and Nordstrom come to mind.

I extend Chara with 1y deals as long as he wants to play.

Nordstrom likely gone but earning so little a ELC wouldn’t save much in his spot.

Krug would be a big loss but a big gain in Cap space to add a top-6 W. Either way, Bruins in great shape Cap wise.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Krug, Chara and Nordstrom come to mind.

This looks right to me too. The defense will be more than fine absent those two and one thing the Bruins have not lacked since Sweeney took over is 4th line talent :laugh: Extend JDB, Gryz, Bjork, Halak for a year if he'll do it, and use the space to get a damn 50-60 point RW, finally.

Reactions: Estlin

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
I'd rather have RNH than Hall if we go the route of signing a forward with that extra salary cap

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Edm never improved They missed the playoffs.Hall went and won the Hart.He is a hell of alot better player then Kase and you can take that to the bank.

They went from 70 points in his last season there (2015-16) to 103 points in 2016-17 without him. I'd say that's improving.

New Jersey this season had a .383 point percentage with Hall, and then they've had .569 point percentage without him.

On the other side, Arizona had a .606 point percentage without Hall, and they've had just a .471 point percentage with him.

New Jersey had 84 points without him in 2015-16, and then just 70 points with him in 2016-17. Sure, he wasn't the only factor, but it's striking consider everything else.

No one's saying that Kase's better than him, but Hall certainly doesn't have a good track record when it comes to team success. Also, Hall is probably going to make 3 times what Kase does next year. It's not exactly a relevant comparison, especially considering they play different positions.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They went from 70 points in his last season there (2015-16) to 103 points in 2016-17 without him. I'd say that's improving.

New Jersey this season had a .383 point percentage with Hall, and then they've had .569 point percentage without him.

On the other side, Arizona had a .606 point percentage without Hall, and they've had just a .471 point percentage with him.

New Jersey had 84 points without him in 2015-16, and then just 70 points with him in 2016-17. Sure, he wasn't the only factor, but it's striking consider everything else.

No one's saying that Kase's better than him, but Hall certainly doesn't have a good track record when it comes to team success. Also, Hall is probably going to make 3 times what Kase does next year. It's not exactly a relevant comparison, especially considering they play different positions.

Yiiiiiiikes

that certainly is interesting

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa is gonna have to move a couple of their middle 6 guys making good money regardless in the offseason (part of the reason they overpaid for 2 guys on cheap contracts). They already have 76 mil in cap space tied up for next season and Cirelli and Segachev to sign, plus probably 3 more defenseman to sign. Atleast one of Johnson, Gourde, Killhorn or Palat gonna need to be moved.
Hopefully they trade the wrong guy again like JT Miller

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Bradon Saad had 126 points in 208 games when he got 6 mill way back in 2015
Timo Meir had 108 points 193 games... he got 6 mill
william nylander had 135 points in 184 games and got almost 7 million

its a raw numbers game for scoring second line wingers and debrusks numbers say 5.5 mill is the lower end of what he will be getting

I don't think Jake DeBrusk sniffs 5M+, unless it's a 5-8 year term, which is unlikely IMO. It's all about term. Personally I wouldn't be that adverse. I think he's a keeper. Doubt it's something his side would agree to however.

I'm going to guess 2-year bridge like Mantha or Vrana. 2 x $3.5M or so.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't think Jake DeBrusk sniffs 5M+, unless it's a 5-8 year term, which is unlikely IMO. It's all about term. Personally I wouldn't be that adverse. I think he's a keeper. Doubt it's something his side would agree to however.

in 2018 when mantha signed he had 87 career points... compared to debrusk 120 and counting

vrana had just 80 points when he signed this new deal hes starting this past year

if debrusk agent allows these guys to be used as the comparable he should be fired for incompentcy

the much much much much closer comparables are the ones with the same points in the same number of games who were drafted at the same position

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Are these guys good comps for DeBrusk?
  • Domi $3.1 / 2 years / 135 points in 222 games
  • Wennberg $4.9 / 6 years / 119 points in 217 games
  • Gallagher $3.75 / 6 years / 116 points in 207 games
I don't love the Meier and Nylander comps. Meier had a 66 point season. Nylander had TWO 60 point seasons. DeBrusk's career high is 43. These other guys proved they were capable of (borderline) 1st line production.

I realize the 3 season totals are similar for these guys, but IMO, a player who puts up 60+ points in his 3rd year has shown he has more upside than a guy who puts up three straight 40 point seasons. I think the 60+ point guy has a better chance of becoming worthy of a $6m contract.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I agree.

Vrana put up 47 points in the last year of his ELC. Mantha put up 48 in his contract year. DeBrusk might come close to those totals this year but right now he's on pace for a career high of 44.

I also think the trajectory matters more than the 3 year total. I mean, when Seguin signed his second contract, did anyone mention his 3 year totals and that his contract should be deflated because he only had 22 points as a rookie? Or was he paid $6m for being a 30 goal, 60 point forward?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
in 2018 when mantha signed he had 87 career points... compared to debrusk 120 and counting

vrana had just 80 points when he signed this new deal hes starting this past year

if debrusk agent allows these guys to be used as the comparable he should be fired for incompentcy

the much much much much closer comparables are the ones with the same points in the same number of games who were drafted at the same position

You historically have overvalued players, so I'm taking your number with a grain of salt.

That all being said, can you imagine DeBrusk's agent coming to Sweeney asking for 82.5% of what Pastrnak makes at the same age, like you proposed? Unless they are signing for 6-8 years, that's a laughable ask.

More than likely he slots in at a 2-3 years bridge deal for 3.5-4 mil, and revisit it afterwards.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

You are using career points. You are also using longer terms. Longer terms = high cap hit.

Mantha signed coming off a 24 goal/24 assist campaign at the age of 22/23 as a 1st round pick......

Vrana signed coming off 24 goal/23 assist campaign at the age of 22/23 as a 1st round pick.....

Both 2 year deals.... Look what Jake is on track for.... Look what where he slots on the depth chart..... Use your head. I don't know what else to tell you.

If the Bruins insist on a 4-7 year deal..... Sure.... $5M+ is likely. Given McAvoy and Carlo situation, 2-3 year deal is more likely. Those are my comparables.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
You are using career points. You are also using longer terms. Longer terms = high cap hit.

Mantha signed coming off a 24 goal/24 assist campaign at the age of 22/23 as a 1st round pick......

Vrana signed coming off 24 goal/23 assist campaign at the age of 22/23 as a 1st round pick.....

Both 2 year deals.... Look what Jake is on track for.... Look what where he slots on the depth chart..... Use your head. I don't know what else to tell you.

If the Bruins insist on a 4-7 year deal..... Sure.... $5M+ is likely. Given McAvoy and Carlo situation, 2-3 year deal is more likely. Those are my comparables.
Exactly.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You historically have overvalued players, so I'm taking your number with a grain of salt.

That all being said, can you imagine DeBrusk's agent coming to Sweeney asking for 82.5% of what Pastrnak makes at the same age, like you proposed? Unless they are signing for 6-8 years, that's a laughable ask.

More than likely he slots in at a 2-3 years bridge deal for 3.5-4 mil, and revisit it afterwards.

ive never seen anyone more accurate than i am with my cap predictions.. but bruins did bring mcavoy and carlo in below my predictions

you are more than welcome to go back and find examples were im historically out to lunch on this stuff lol

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I guess youd have to do some research on all this stuff works... when guys dont have access to arbitration its a bit different then when they do... when theres ufa years being bought its a bit different. when teams want to maintain good relations with a player its a bit different... and so on and so forth

debrusk comes from a hockey family the same way nylander did... that can definitely play a role. having a father get involved who might have felt short shifted in his own career can make a difference

lots of different factors at play

but players never want to go to the lowest common denominator. when an elc failed to establish themselves as a regular for 2 seasons and then had just 1 single good season their bargaining position is crap and they might have to take a bridge. long term deals arent an option for 1 year wonders

but when a player has been a second line 40 plus point guy for 3 years in a roll he is well established and a prime candidate for long term deal.

debrusk can insist on a 1 year deal and then go to arbitration and then leave town. he isnt going to be forced to take crap. if we try to force him to take crap he will be like josh Anderson or nick Ritchie who got hardball negotiations and are now either on other teams or are seeing their careers turn to crap and about to be dealt

examples of taking players to arbitration or forcing them to take 1 year deals really doesnt work out well.

you are invited to find me a list of names where this very dumb idea you are promoting has paid off with a happy relationship between player and team.

finding examples is always a good thing

but try to find better examples than comparing 80 point elc guys with 1 real season as a regular to a guy with 120 points plus and going on 3 full seasons of established value now

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I agree.

Vrana put up 47 points in the last year of his ELC. Mantha put up 48 in his contract year. DeBrusk might come close to those totals this year but right now he's on pace for a career high of 44.

I also think the trajectory matters more than the 3 year total. I mean, when Seguin signed his second contract, did anyone mention his 3 year totals and that his contract should be deflated because he only had 22 points as a rookie? Or was he paid $6m for being a 30 goal, 60 point forward?

seguins an interesting comp... 121 points after 3 years in 203 games... got himself 6 million. we are definitely establishing a pattern. give him a bit of a bonus being a second overall pick and having led his team in scoring.

I am trying to stay away from centers since debrusk is a winger... but ryan nugent Hopkins just 132 points in 202 games

the cap has gone up a lot since seguin and Hopkins signed.

im not going to bother commenting further on this unless anyone is directly challanging me in which case im going to challange them to find the comps. I have enough comps now people should see for themselves

this will all get settled in 4 months... feel free to throw it in my face if im wrong. this is one time I cant lose because if I am wrong... then the team gets quite a bargain. its all win win for me

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
seguins an interesting comp... 121 points after 3 years in 203 games... got himself 6 million. we are definitely establishing a pattern. give him a bit of a bonus being a second overall pick and having led his team in scoring.

I am trying to stay away from centers since debrusk is a winger... but ryan nugent Hopkins just 132 points in 202 games

im not going to bother commenting further on this unless anyone is directly challanging me in which case im going to challange them to find the comps. I have enough comps now people should see for themselves

this will all get settled in 4 months... feel free to throw it in my face if im wrong. this is one time I cant lose because if I am wrong... then the team gets quite a bargain. its all win win for me

I do think the trajectory point is valid. I’d pay the guy who has 20 then 40 then 60 points a lot more than the guys who had 40 points three years in a row.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said but when finding relevant comps it’s more important to use age at the time of signing the contract then it is finding = of seasons of production imo

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I do think the trajectory point is valid. I’d pay the guy who has 20 then 40 then 60 points a lot more than the guys who had 40 points three years in a row.

you bring up an interesting point too... as in any bargaining transaction all it takes is 1 wild card to totally throw the rules wide open

debrusk doesnt have arbitration so his bargaining position is limited... but he could hold out and try to force a trade. seems to me Johnathon droin did the same with tampa

Drouin had just 95 points in 164 games when he forced himself off the tampa team
he got himself a 6 year deal at 5.5 mill

hes been quite the disappointment since and the montreal talk shows are full of all sorts of suggestions montreal needs to trade him

his issues in tampa got pretty nasty. I guess it wasnt all money related... tampa just thought he wasnt good enough for nhl and wanted him in minors or something?

anyhow... montreal stepped up and paid. Drouin has no bargaining position but he packed up his bags and went home and pouted

teams never win these battles when relations with a player go south so poorly

and if the players stats compare favorably to the market... there will always be someone willing to pay

its been a long time since boston was walking away from contracts awarded to guys like khristivitch {sp?}

these days teams cant afford to let their high valued young drafted assets just go sit home and pout like Drouin... or go to pieces with miserable seasons after nasty holdouts like josh Anderson...

the good news is… even if debrusk gets his 5.5 as I had him down for... we can afford it. we can afford everyone. thats the wonderful part of all this debate. with a higher cap above 84 mill we are going to be a powerhouse team next season too

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’d be more engaged in this conversation if I didn’t feel as though the Bruins would be basing the direction they go this offseason on how they perform in the playoffs.

A lot is to be determined.

100%. The direction management take with the team in the coming offseason is so heavily dependent on what happens in the next couple of months that it makes it hard to make to speculate with any sort of certainty or reliability about much at all in terms of contracts and trades. No doubt the FO will have some idea of what they want they do in each possible scenario, but there could be quite a lot of variance between each option and things that turn on how individual players perform when it really counts.

Underrated priority this summer is to extend Rask IMO... 3/24

Totally agree with this too. Rask is about to turn 33 and I can't see him ever wanting to play anywhere other than Boston - he appears way too settled and comfortable in his current environment and with his family to want a change. So let's get ahead of the curve, quell any potential future speculation, and just get him signed away for the rest of his career one year ahead of time. He's also an important piece on big money by Bruins' standards, so sorting him out will help with working out future deals for others.

He'll be 34 when his current contract ends, so I wouldn't mind him getting another 4 years on top of that, and I agree at around $8 mil salary p.a. I'm sure he could earn more on the open market, but I doubt it'd interest him, and an extra $32 mil on top of what he's already earned is still excellent money and a raise in recognition of just how good a contributor he's been for a long time now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad