2020-21 Manitoba Bisons/CW Thread

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The odd thing to me is that this is likely to be a relatively cheap season for the 6 teams. 3, maybe 4, road trips (one of those likely to Calgary), followed by Western and National weekend tournaments. Cheap like borscht!

Shuttering Clare Drake for the year will save a fair bit of money.

I'd be curious to know what staff contracts are tied to the Golden Bears and how those are being handled. Are staff being let go or assigned to other tasks?

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The odd thing to me is that this is likely to be a relatively cheap season for the 6 teams. 3, maybe 4, road trips (one of those likely to Calgary), followed by Western and National weekend tournaments. Cheap like borscht!
Cheap compared to a full season, but still a six-figure expenditure. The revenue cuts are much greater than the cost savings realized by playing half a season.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Shuttering Clare Drake for the year will save a fair bit of money.

I'd be curious to know what staff contracts are tied to the Golden Bears and how those are being handled. Are staff being let go or assigned to other tasks?

Indications are that the staff are still being kept on as they expect to play in 21/22.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Related: Augustana, which is now a campus of the University of Alberta, announced it would not have any ACAC athletics for this season. The league had planned to start its two-semester leagues in January.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Lakehead is a great place to play! Lots of fans and welcoming 5th year seniors with open arms!

If I had to bet money on which university will be next to announce they're sitting out 20-21 hockey, I'd put it on Lakehead and UBC.

The AUS teams can easily bus, and could survive without paying crowds. Given the favourable COVID-19 numbers in the Maritimes, the AUS is the most likely conference to play games.

UBC is, like Alberta, not a university that cares much about athletics, certainly not in relative terms to its academic programs. Bussing is not an option for UBC (aside from playing TWU), and so cutting hockey for a season makes a ton of financial sense too.

The rest of the OUA could easily operate with bussing, and nobody really needs to sell tickets to survive. Lakehead needs fans to pay the bills, and the overhead costs of flying to/from Thunder Bay are exorbitant. Add in the risk of contracting COVID-19 when you go through the Pearson Airport, and I'd be shocked if any team is willing to travel there this winter.

Not likely. Somebody might go to MacEwan.

Nobody is transferring as a 5th year unless it's as a Graduate Student. If you're one year from graduating, you can't just switch universities, because they have limits on how many courses you can transfer.

MacEwan does not offer graduate programs.

Most Masters programs are 2 years ... so I could see 5th year players transferring while sitting out this season, then suiting up next year at their new school. But not at MacEwan or Lakehead, gentlemen.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Nobody is transferring as a 5th year unless it's as a Graduate Student. If you're one year from graduating, you can't just switch universities, because they have limits on how many courses you can transfer."

I was gonna say this last night, but I forgot. I DO know of one school that you can get into a Master program without graduating from your previous school.

I agree with your observations re: next school to cancel.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I can’t imagine many 5th year guys going through the hassle of transferring just for the small possibility of playing 1/2 a season. If it is an academically driven decision, I get...but not if it’s solely for hockey.
Some 5th years are just taking a year of "whatever" because they have their 4 year degree already. Those who spread 4 years of school over 5 years to balance hockey with classes will not transfer.

Reactions: Island Husky

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In Manitoba sports, the Manitoba Junior Baseball League (MJBL) will start with four double-headers on June 28th!

MJBL a go as Sultans prep for season

Manitoba Junior Baseball League - Schedule

In hockey, nothing new from the MJHL since May where they said this:
At the league office we have been busy creating scenario plans for the start of the 2020 – 2021 season. These scenario plans have been extensive and range from the development of a normal 60 game schedule starting in September down to a 30 game schedule starting in December and several options in between.

League update | State of the MJHL

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Like others, my experience is that only student-athletes who are seeking a graduate degree, or second "professional" degree (e.g. Education, Law) will transfer. Student-athletes who transfer mid-degree (X's Trey Lewis to UNB) are rare since they have to red shirt for a year.

And yes, sometimes you can get provisional acceptance into a graduate program without a Bachelor's. In that case you might have to take one or more undergrad courses with your grad courses to come up to spec. It happens, and not just for student-athletes. But you do have to be careful: there have been student-athletes in CIS/USports found ineligible because they were in "pre-grad" programs or graduate qualifying programs which were ruled to not be true grad programs.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
FWIW, the MJBL season started on Sunday with four double-headers, three of which were splits. My guess would have to be that local hockey will open as well.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
AUGUST NEWS & NOTES

CW-2017-Manitoba-50x50.jpg
U-Sports-50x50.jpg

Normally we would be ankle deep in recruitment news and the various additions to exhibition schedules would be flowing at this time of the year. Instead we are witnessing recruitment news and a heavier than usual flow of players from university to pro.

The obvious reason for this state of affairs is the virus thing you may have heard about. So let's start there, because that affects when we will next see live hockey, then move into other news and notes.

MJHL-50h.jpg

The MJHL is getting prepped for a full season, with an exhibition season in September and a regular season in October. The linked story has the highlights of the plan, and has a link to a 14 page PDF document with all the details covering every minute detail down to travel, meals, and hotels. This sort of guideline is likely very close to what USports teams will need to implement.

Also, former Bison all-star forward Kevin Saurette (an MBA) is now the MJHL Commissioner, taking over from Kim Davis.

Links:
➤ MJHL: MJHL announces return to hockey for 2020-21
➤ Pembina Valley On-line: Sportsbeat - MJHL Commissioner Kevin Saurette (audio)
➤ Game On: Davis Retires, Saurette to Be New Commissioner of the MJHL
➤ Leah Hextall at Global: Hextall on Hockey: the MJHL’s new commissioner

Alberta-2019-circle-50x50.jpg

The Monkeys are back after the world's shortest ever hiatus. They announced a bow-out due to lack of funds, but some organ-grinding by a monkey in a mask must be capable of raising money. I linked official and unofficial stories. None had a scoop on the dynamics that led to their change of heart. The original announcement was based upon funding shortfalls, rather than health concerns. SportsNet's story (from the CP) seemed like a scoop in the headline but really wasn't. Anyhow, the Monkeys found enough bananas.

Links:
➤ UofA: Golden Bears and Pandas 2020-21 Season Update
➤ CBC: Finances force University of Alberta to suspend operation of 6 teams for upcoming season
➤ UofA: Bears and Pandas Hockey teams reinstated by Canada West for 2020-21 season
➤ Canada West: Alberta reinstated as Canada West hockey member
➤ SportsNet: Alumni money restores University of Alberta hockey teams for next season
➤ Edmonton Sun: MODDEJONGE: University of Alberta players, coaches see hope as season again a possibility for hockey Bears, Pandas : RP @ Ottawa Sun & Chronicle-Herald

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg

In the Town of Bedrock they have announced a solid set of recruits, and a former Dino evolved into a Duck. The eight announced new recruits are also listed at Elite Prospects and are:

- Arjun Atwal (F) from Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL)
- Luke Coleman (F) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Connor Gutenberg (F) from Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Dakota Krebs (D) from Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
- Max Patterson (F) from Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
- Matt Quigley (D) from Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- Ryan Schoettler (D) from Prince George Cougars (WHL)
- Zach Wytinck (D) from Regina Pats (WHL)

Coleman is a transfer from the now-defunct Horny Ones. He is a 2nd year player, coming off a 12-8-20 stats line in 28 games last year. He played his junior for the Calgary Hitmen. So 7-out-of-8 were from the WHL.

Dino grad Kodie Curran has signed an NHL deal. He finished a 5-year career in 2014-15 then was a late-season depth player for Hartford in the AHL. He then split a season between the AHL and ECHL before a 4-year stint in Scandinavia, with one season in Denmark, one in Norway, and two in Sweden. He will be turning 31 during the season, so this is the ultimate late-bloomer scenario. Why would the Ducks gamble on him? He was the Swedish league MVP last year!

Links:
➤ UofC: Meet the Recruits
➤ Elite Prospects: UofC Transactions
➤ UofC: Curran signs with NHL's Anaheim Ducks
➤ Elite Prospects: Kodie Curran Career Stats
➤ OC Register: Ducks sign defenseman Kodie Curran to 2-year, $2-million contract
➤ Chronicle-Herald: Calgary-raised defencemen knocking on NHL’s door after award-winning seasons
➤ ESPN: Defenseman Kodie Curran signs 2-year deal with Anaheim Ducks
➤ SportsNet: Ducks sign SHL MVP Kodie Curran to two-year contract
➤ NHL: Curran, SHL MVP, signs two-year contract with Ducks

Mount-Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg

The Bluegars have announced five recruits, one NCAA transfer and four WHL grads:

- Rylan Yaremko (D) from Northern Michigan Univ. (NCAA)
- Dom Schmiemann (D) from Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Lane Gilliss (F) from Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- Riley Sawchuk (F) from Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- Kyle Olson (F) from Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

Links:
➤ MRU: MHKY: 2020-21 recruiting class
➤ Elite Prospects: MRU Transactions

Regina-bars-50x50.gif

The Banjo-Cats have a diverse recuiting list so far. Two Horny Ones transferring in, another transfer from the ACAC, and two recruits from each of the SJHL and WHL. The four new defencemen should help shore up their traditional weakness. Of course, depending who comes back.

- Austin Pratt (F) from Regina Pats (WHL)
- Dylan McCabe (D) from Battlefords North Stars (SJHL)
- Jeff Rayman (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Taylor Fisher (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Carson Sass (D) from Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
- Jayden Davis (F) from Estevan Bruins (SJHL)
- Travis Mayan (F) from Alberta-Augustana Vikings (ACAC)

Links:
➤ UofR: Men's hockey announces addition of seven players
➤ Elite Prospects: UofR Transactions

UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

After a shocking playoff run which earned them a berth in the U-Cup, followed by a cancellation on the eve of their first game, it looks like the new T-irds will not likely adequately replace the departed. They have two transfers from Lethbridge, just one recruit from the WHL, and four Junior A grads from three different leagues.

- Conner McDonald (D) from Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
- Logan Foster (F) from Humboldt Broncos (SJHL)
- Tian Rask (F) from Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
- Michael Clarke (F) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Jackson Caller (D) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
- Dorrin Luding (G) from Winkler Flyers (MJHL)
- Dan Gatenby (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)

Links:
➤ UBC: T-Birds add to strong recruit class
➤ Elite Prospects: UBC Transactions
➤ Vernon Morningstar: Vernon Vipers blueliner signs Canadian university deal
➤ Discover Humboldt: LISTEN PODCAST: Michael Clarke Joins UBC After Lethbridge Hockey Program Cancellation

Sask-2020-banner-50x50.jpg

The Banjo-Mutts have yet to announce recruits, but they have a slightly new set of logos. Their miscellaneous logos got the hind leg treatment. Should somebody tell them that the singular of "Huskies" is "Husky"?

They have not issued an official announcement on recruits, but Elite Prospects has compiled a list of four names, all of whom have an affinity for fire hydrants:

- Jaxan Kaluski (F) from Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
- Parker Gavlas (D) from Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
- Ty Prefontaine (D) from Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
- Dawson Holt (F) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)

Links:
➤ UofS: Huskie Athletics unveils updated logos
➤ Elite Prospects: UofS Transactions

Trinity-Western-2010-blue-50x50.jpg

The Holy Trinity have no official announcement but Elite Prospects has compiled a list:

- Jake Jurgeneit (D) from Yarmouth Mariners (MJAHL)
- Travis Walton (F) from Nanaimo Clippers (BCJHL)
- Jeremy Klessens (F) from Drayton Valley Thunder (AJHL)
- Josh Boelema (F) from Briercrest College (ACAC)
- Landon Fuller (D) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
- Connor Vermeulen (D) from Carnduff Red Devils (BSHL SrAA)

It is odd that those six players finished in last year in five different leagues.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: BCIHL Transactions
➤ Vernon Morningstar: Vernon Vipers blueliner signs Canadian university deal

Macewan-nowords-black-50x50.jpg

The Griffins also have had no official announcement and only two names appear on Elite Prospects:

- Ryan Winter (G) from Merritt Centennials (BCJHL)
- Shawn Parkinson (G) from Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)

Links:
➤ GMU: Griffins hockey teams look back fondly on ACAC tenure as they prepare to move into Canada West
➤ Elite Prospects: GMU ACAC Page

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
August 23: More News

U-Sports-50x50.jpg

Another source of recruitment news is the USports Letters of Intent (LOI) page. It covers all sports and all conferences. UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Regina have no men's hockey players listed. But Manitoba, Trinity Western, Mount Royal, and MacEwan have 5-7 players each. The lists here have the player's name and date of registration. The * denotes a player listed as a recruit at Elite Prospects.

Links:
➤ USports: Letter of Intent
➤ USports: Spread Sheet (xlsx document)

Manitoba-head-R-50x50.gif

Liam Hughes 20-04-2020
Hayden Ostir 20-04-2020
Chase Hartje 22-04-2020
*Noah Basarab 23-04-2020
Samuel Stewart 29-04-2020
*Alec Malo 01-05-2020
Reece Harsch 04-05-2020

Only Basarab and Malo are listed in Elite Prospects transactions. Links to all players' Elite Prospects individual pages were in the post called "June 8: Bisons Have Seven LOIs Registered" above in this thread.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: Manitoba Transactions

Mount-Royal-2017-50x50.jpg

*Dominic Schmiemann 05-03-2020
*Lane Gilliss 12-03-2020
*Riley Sawchuk 23-03-2020
Gary Haden 31-03-2020 (C) from Victoria Royals (WHL)
*Rylan Yaremko 22-05-2020
*Kyle Olson 15-06-2020

Haden had good WHL numbers last year (25-30-55 in 62 games) and previously played for the Medicine Hat Tigers and Saskatoon Blades.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: MRU Transactions
➤ Elite Prospects: Gary Haden

Trinity-Western-R-50x50.jpg

Aidan Steinke 10-02-2020 (F) Melville Millionaires (SJHL)
*Travis Walton 21-03-2020
Jamieson Ree 23-03-2020 (D) Briercrest Clippers (ACAC)
*Jeremy Klessens 26-03-2020
*Josh Boelema 04-04-2020
*Landon Fuller 09-04-2020
*Connor Vermeulen 17-04-2020

Also, Jake Jurgeneit is listed at Elite Prospects but not in the LOI. Steinke's SJHL numbers were luke-warm (28-37-65 in 153 games). Ree is a big d-man whose junior career spanned 3 teams in the AJHL and one in the SJHL.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: Trinity Western
➤ Elite Prospects: Aidan Steinke
➤ Elite Prospects: Jamieson Ree

Macewan-L-50x50.jpg

*Ryan Winter 14-05-2020
Chase Thudium 29-05-2020 (F) Red Deer College Kings (ACAC)
Curtis Roach 31-05-2020 (D) NAIT Ooks (ACAC)
Connor Lyons 02-06-2020 (F) Canmore Eagles (AJHL)
Jordan Davies 10-06-2020 (D) NAIT Ooks (ACAC)

Also, Shawn Parkinson is listed at Elite Prospects but not in the LOI.

It seems a lot of ACAC players see a golden chance to make the jump to the CW with GMU. It would also appear that GMU has a much stronger recruiting class than TWU.

Roach and Davies are defencemen from NAIT, GMU's cross-town rival. Both were recruited from the AJHL to the ACAC when they left junior. Red Deer recruited Thudium from the Odessa Jackalopes of the NAHL (27-43-70 in 59 games in 2016-17). His ACAC career stats are 43-53-96 in 84 games. Lyons is from the Canmore Eagles of the AJHL (65-106-171 in 167 career games).

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: MacEwan Team Page
➤ Elite Prospects: Chase Thudium
➤ Elite Prospects: Connor Lyons
➤ Elite Prospects: Curtis Roach
➤ Elite Prospects: Jordan Davies

WichitaThunder-2017-50x50.jpg
NAHC-50x50.jpg

I also have a hat-trick of miscellaneous stories you might want to check out. Former Bison Shaq Merasty has signed once again with the Wichita Thunder in the ECHL. He is now 29 and seems to be racking up more PIMs than points.

The second story is about a new First Nations league in Saskatchewan. I am not sure what calibre of league this will be. Will it be an intermediate men's league? Or an off-shoot of the infamous cash tournament circuit you may have heard about. There has been a National Aboriginal Championship for years. We'll see.

Finally, the story from Saskatoon is a nice story about Banjo-Mutt Kohl Bauml and his special needs little brother who travels about to cheer him on.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: Shaquille Merasty
➤ Pro Hockey News: Merasty returns to Wichita
➤ Moose Jaw Today: First Nations hockey league being discussed
➤ Windspeaker: 2020 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships set for Regina
➤ Saskatoon Star-Phoenix: Kohl Bauml's little brother, Ben, his biggest fan

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 23: Manitoba Hockey Is Going!

CW-2017-Mac-Ewan-50x50.jpg

It has been a month since my last report so here is a hodge-podge of stories, announcements, and potentially news of significance as it pertains to the return of CW hockey. The recruiting news has slowed to a trickle, which makes sense because school has now started.

Normally everybody would have exhibition schedules in progress and rosters for us to comment upon. No such luck this year. Several teams are not bothering to update their websites with official announcements on recruits. I saw no new LOIs registered for men's hockey since my last report.

The only CW news, and it is a downer, is that the CW golf championship has been cancelled. It was slated for UBC Okanagan and British California is not allowing disease-infested easterners (out there, this includes the prairies) into the province.

Links:
➤ CW: Conference golf championships cancelled due to travel restrictions

Manitoba-80s-sunlasses-white-50x50.png

There are no official, nor unofficial, announcements from the UofM on hockey. However, there are a host of stories on the football team, who are practising hard despite cancellation of their season. If football can practice, hockey can go!

I have also posted a story on former Bison coach Barry Trotz, which is worth a look. Maybe one day I'll run a fresh story on former CW coaches who have made it to the NHL.

Finally, the best news I have heard in a while is that the MJHL has started their exhibition season! Here's the highlights of the announcement:

Divisions

Northwest (Dauphin, OCN, Swan Valley, Wayway)

Interior (Neepawa, Portage, Virden, Winkler)

Southeast (Selkirk, Steinbach, Winnipeg Blues, Winnipeg Freeze)

Schedule Format

Each team will play the other three teams within their division eight times during the regular season (Four Home/Four Away).

Each team will play the eight teams outside of their division twice during the season.

Each team will play a 40-game regular season schedule which has been significantly reduced from the standard 60 game regular season schedule (20 Home/Twenty Away).

Each team will play two games a week and will only face one team each week.

Each team will play all of their games almost exclusively during the weekend this season (Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday).

Games scheduled within a teams own division are almost exclusively arranged in four game, two week blocks.

Playoff Format to be announced in the coming weeks.

Links:
➤ Pique: University football teams navigate pandemic hurdles to get back on the field
➤ Free Press: Bisons take to the gridiron
➤ CBC: U Sports football navigates pandemic hurdles to get on field despite fall cancellations
➤ Global: ‘Our players are loving it’: No games is no problem for Manitoba Bisons football team
➤ Winnipeg Sun: Honesty has guided Manitoba's Trotz from Day 1
➤ MJHL: MJHL announces 2020-21 Regular Season schedule
➤ MJHL: Schedule

Mount-Royal-50x50.jpg

The Bluegars are raising funds, and seem to be getting ready for January. Remember they did post their recruiting class.

Links:
➤ Calgary Sun: Dinos, Cougars remain committed to readying teams for January restart
➤ MRU: Cougars cohort ready to pounce

Calgary-pre-2012-50x50.jpg

In the Town of Bedrock, their recruiting class was previously announced. I found a podcast featuring Matt Alfaro, and an old photo in Cooperalls.

Links:
➤ WHL: WHL Alumni Interview: Matt Alfaro, University of Calgary Dinos
➤ Spotify: WHL Podcast: Episode 4

Cooperall-Uof-C-450px.jpg

Macewan-L-50x50.jpg

I had previously posted details on MacEwan's recruits, but they have now issued official releases, available at the links. There are three new recruits, all of whom are transfers:

- Riley Brandt (F) from RMC (OUA) via Vernon (BCJHL)
- Cameron Trott (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CW) via Vernon (BCJHL) and UAA (NCAA)
- Ethan Price (RW) from Stony Plain (ACHW, red shirt) via Brock (OUA)

Brandt has only played two games in the last two seasons but in 2017-18 scored 21-12-33 in 28 OUA games. They must be happy with three former USports players in the recruiting class. Price also has a WHL background and Trott played a half-season in the NCAA.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: Riley Brandt
➤ Elite Prospects: Cameron Trott
➤ Elite Prospects: Ethan Price
➤ MacEwan: Griffins add valuable U SPORTS experience to lineup with Price, Brandt and Trott
➤ MacEwan: Trio of ACAC stars join Griffins as they level up to the Canada West ranks
➤ MacEwan: Pair of new goalies bring welcome competition to Griffins' crease in post-Daigle era

Alberta-circle-50x50.jpg

There is no news about the Evil Monkeys at all. But if you want to help them purchase more bananas, they have a fundraising link.

Links:
➤ UofA: Support the Sport

Regina-2020-50x50.jpg

The Banjo-Cats announced their recruits last time. All I found this time was a YouTube video.

Links:
➤ YouTube: University of Regina Athletics - 2020 Summer Update

Sask-Huskie-Dog-Club-2019-50x50.jpg

The Banjo-Mutts have had no announcements, no LOIs, and nothing on Elite Prospects. But there have been Tweets about recruits. So I used those to do Elite Prospects searches and WOOF! A litter of puppies.

- Parker Gavlas (D) from Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
- Jaxan Kaluski (LW) from Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
- Ty Prefontaine (D) from Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
- Jared Dmytriw (RW) from Vancouver Giuants (WHL)
- Jeff Faith (D) from Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
- Declan Hobbs (G) from Loreburn 19ers (SVHL)
- Dawson Holt (RW/C) from Regina Pats (WHL) & Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)

Also, their arena may be used as a field hospital, in which case they would play at the SaskTel Centre.

Links:
➤ Elite Prospects: Parker Gavlas
➤ Elite Prospects: Jaxan Kaluski
➤ Elite Prospects: Ty Prefontaine
➤ Elite Prospects: Jared Dmytriw
➤ Elite Prospects: Jeff Faith
➤ Elite Prospects: Declan Hobbs
➤ Elite Prospects: Dawson Holt
➤ Global: 4 hockey teams move after Saskatoon rink turned into coronavirus field hospital

UBC-old-50x50.jpg

The T-irds have three stories about alumni. Jerret Smith is going to finish his few remaining credits on-line while playing in France. Adam Maglio is a head coach in the Dub. Ray Sakaki was on their 1971 team that earned a berth at the nationals.

Links:
➤ UBC: Jerret Smith begins pro career in France
➤ UBC: Former Thunderbird Adam Maglio named Spokane head coach
➤ UBC: Thunderbird Alumni Profile: Roy Sakaki

ACAC-letters-50x50.jpg
BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

On the college front, it appears that they are following the lead of the CW and waiting for January. If BC holds off on allowing inter-provincial play, perhaps the T-irds and Holy Trinity will join the BCIHL! It is nice that ACAC players won't lose a year of eligibility.

Links:
➤ ACAC: ACAC Announces Plans for 2020-21 Season
➤ ACAC: ACAC Suspends Consumption of All Student-Athlete Eligibility During 2020-21 Season
➤ BCIHL: BCIHL delays start of 2020-21 season until January 15

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The only hope for any USports action this year is some exhibition games ... but I really doubt those will happen unless it's a controlled scrimmage / practice between two teams in the same city / vicinity. Any exhibition game outside of a small geographic area involves the same costs as a regular game - including insurance - with none of the possibilities for revenue. As one example, the UofM Bisons aren't going to drive 7 hours to Regina for a weekend of games.

In the OUA and AUS, I could see some teams wanting to compete locally ... such as RMC vs. Queen's or Toronto vs. Ryerson ... but with the travel involved in Canada West (Lakehead, too), any exhibition competition is extremely unlikely.

If I was a USports Coach, I'd create a 4-on-4 league with a mix of my team and players from a cross-town rival / alumni. Fun, but competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad