Line Combos: 2020-21 Line Up

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The reasoning there is the core seems pissed about losing and going nowhere and it’s the only way this team makes the postseason IMO. Need to throw them a bone. Khudobin is gone in 2 years, maybe Lehner too, then they go super cheap in goal with Askarov once the young players need raises.
We have 11mil committed to goalies this year, how did that work out?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We have 11mil committed to goalies this year, how did that work out?

I wouldn’t expect the team to make the playoffs, but for me, there is a better chance of it happening being stacked in goal than going cheap there and spending up front. Most important thing is keeping contracts short and getting picks to rebuild IMO. It’s not a pretty situation, was fun to mess around with though.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Nah, it's a good idea to draft a goalie with a top 15 pick in the first round... then sign two goalies to $11m worth of contracts. :thumbu:

:sarcasm:

I don’t support taking goalies in the first round, but drafting a guy who won’t make the nhl for probably six years really has nothing to do with signing goalies for the coming season.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hire Gallant

If no lotto win, draft Askarov

Trade Saad for mid 1st to draft Wallinder

Trade Strome+ for 2 early 2nds to draft Tuch and Stranges

Let Crawford walk, an all time favorite but he needs to play too much to get in the groove and there are age/injury concerns.

Sign Lehner 6.8M x 4 years, NMC first 2 years, 10 team no trade year 3, no restrictions year 4 to make room for Askarov to start

Sign Khodobin 4.2M x 2 years, very underrated goalie, plays great sporadically or in stretches of starts

Sign Kubalik long term, 4M x 3 years, walks him to UFA

Resign Cagguila, 1.8M x 1 year

Sign Reaves to a similar deal to what Maroon got, will help implement Gallant’s play style

Sign a cheap bottom 6er looking to rebound, chose Karlsson

Trade Smith + Calgary 3rd for a late round pick

View attachment 327865 View attachment 327867 View attachment 327869 View attachment 327863

So use a top 10 pick on a goalie, and spend 11 million on goalies for the next two seasons, to boot? And you think Stan needs to be fired? Lol

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t support taking goalies in the first round, but drafting a guy who won’t make the nhl for probably six years really has nothing to do with signing goalies for the coming season.

A goalie drafted in the top 10-15 should make the NHL the following season. You don't use a first round pick on a goalie in the top 10-15, and expect them to need to develop for 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
A goalie drafted in the top 10-15 should make the NHL the following season. You don't use a first round pick on a goalie in the top 10-15, and expect them to need to develop for 6 years.

The following season is a stretch but they should be NHL ready in 2-3 years for sure. Spencer Knight should be in the NHL starting the 21-22 season (unless they force him to play in the AHL for an additional season).

I would only spend a 1st on a goalie (never a top 10) if it I had multiple 1sts.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The last time a goalie taken in the first round played in the NHL the next season was Fleury in 2003.

Since 2000, goalies taken in the first are more likely to bust than become a verified NHL starter.

Ranking Every Goalie Selected In The First Round Since 2000

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The last time a goalie taken in the first round played in the NHL the next season was Fleury in 2003.

Since 2000, goalies taken in the first are more likely to bust than become a verified NHL starter.

Ranking Every Goalie Selected In The First Round Since 2000

The following season is a stretch but they should be NHL ready in 2-3 years for sure. Spencer Knight should be in the NHL starting the 21-22 season (unless they force him to play in the AHL for an additional season).

I would only spend a 1st on a goalie (never a top 10) if it I had multiple 1sts.

Pretty much any goalie drafted in the top 10 of the first round should be expected to play in the NHL within a full seasons time.

Say like... we drafted one this year. I would expect that goalie to be in the NHL for the 21-22 season. That's what I mean by one year. So he's drafted in July of 2020, does not play for the 2020-2021 season, but then plays for the 2021-2022 season. Why sign two goalies to $11m if you're spending a top 10 pick in draft capital to be playing for you within essentially a year or 18 months?

My point was that a goalie drafted that high will not be sitting around developing for 6 years as @hawksrule said. You didn't draft that guy at #12 so he could sit and develop for 6 years. Similar to drafting a player in the top 10, you expect a goalie in the top 10 to make almost an immediate jump within one season of their draft, IMO. Otherwise, you don't spend that pick on a goalie in the top 10 or 15. A position player in the top 10-15 is almost a guaranteed NHL'er. A goalie in the top 10-15 is almost a guaranteed bust. I'd never draft a goalie in the first round, even if I was sitting on two first round picks.

And yeah, I saw that same article Giovi, regarding more goalies busting than succeeding. They're more likely to never play an NHL game, than make the NHL, which is why drafting one in the top 10 or top 15 is idiotic, and a total waste of a pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I had a few thoughts on the forward group this morning

-If Strome is on this roster next year, it almost certainly needs to be in a sheltered/heavy offensive zone start role

-You don't want the young players (Dach, DeBrincat, Nylander, whoever is drafted next) to play with Kane and have their game turn into only deferring to Kane

-The Toews line needs to play a two-way game and matchup on top competition, there's just no way around it because the Hawks don't have the horses to field a typical shutdown third line

-The fourth line must be a secondary shutdown line

-Kane needs someone who will handle the puck and who will do dirty work and shoot the damn puck

Here's how I'm thinking you address this without drastic changes:

Kubalik-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Nylander
Saad-Toews-Caggiula/Shaw
Carpenter-Kampf-Highmore/Smith/Quenneville​

-Strome has to work with Kane, or get traded. You just can't be forced to shelter a Kane line and a Strome line separately, that's a hard matchup ask of a good coach, I have no faith that Colliton can juggle that properly

-Kubalik with Strome and Kane may be the perfect guy to force those two to work. His game seems unflappable, and he'll be at the net, go to the boards, and shoot for Kane.

-Toews' line is listed as the third line more to emphasize its role than its icetime. Saad and Toews need to neutralize top lines, I think that's your best bet to get it done. Saad and Toews will still get their icetime with the PK and PP roles even if they lose a little 5v5 time in some games. I'm okay if Toews' offensive production declines a bit in this role.

-DeBrincat-Dach-Nylander forces these three young guys to learn to rely on each other and build chemistry. I don't think this line needs to be as sheltered as much as a Strome or Kane line since all three of those guys actually put in effort.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

That's an extremely optimistic timetable. I think the Crawford timeline is more realistic, i.e. draft and hope you have something a bunch of years later.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's an extremely optimistic timetable. I think the Crawford timeline is more realistic, i.e. draft and hope you have something a bunch of years later.

Not for a 1st round pick in the top 10-15....

Crawford was drafted in the late 2nd round of 2003, and it took him nearly 7 years to make it to the NHL, but I don't think 6-7 years is the norm. But this is also why you draft goalies in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round, and not the 1st...

If you take a goalie in the top 15, he should 100% be in your net within 2 seasons.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Not for a 1st round pick in the top 10-15....

Crawford was drafted in the late 2nd round of 2003, and it took him nearly 7 years to make it to the NHL, but I don't think 6-7 years is the norm. But this is also why you draft goalies in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round, and not the 1st...

If you take a goalie in the top 15, he should 100% be in your net within 2 seasons.

I just wouldn’t bet on that, which is in part why I would never take one top 10-15.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He’s 17 until June and has played 1 pro game. And for those who remember Fleury’s rookie year, though clearly talented, he was not ready for the show until a few years later, just like Hart.

Let’s please see and talk about someone else’s ideas and get this thread back on track.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is my crack at it...Assumes that the Hawks take Alexander Holtz with 7th pick. Buyout Smith, LTIR Seabrook, extend Crawford, Strome, Kubalik and Caggiula, no trades and Shaw/CdH return...2.5% cap ceiling increase, so ~$2m

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Dominik Kubalik ($3,000,000) - Patrick Kane ($10,500,000) - Andrew Shaw ($3,900,000) - Alexander Nylander ($863,333)
Centre: Jonathan Toews ($10,500,000) - Kirby Dach ($925,000) - Dylan Strome ($4,000,000) - Ryan Carpenter ($1,000,000)
Left wing: Alexander Holtz ($925,000) - Brandon Saad ($6,000,000) - Alex DeBrincat ($6,400,000) - Drake Caggiula ($2,000,000) - David Kämpf ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: Adam Boqvist ($894,167) - Ian Mitchell ($925,000) - Connor Murphy ($3,850,000)
Left: Duncan Keith ($5,538,462) - Calvin De Haan ($4,550,000) - Olli Määttä ($4,083,333) - Lucas Carlsson ($792,500)
GOALTENDER (2)
Corey Crawford ($4,500,000) - Collin Delia ($1,000,000)
BUYOUTS (1)
Zack Smith ($1,083,333)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Cap Hit: $78,230,128
Cap Space: $5,269,872

Chicago Blackhawks - 2020 - 2021 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It’s nice how this one allows so much cap space for later moves, especially as a potential facilitator of retention as Toronto did with Lehner. With yours, there is so much more space, could have eaten most of Backes’ or Marleau’s money with this set up. And it would allow the team to make a Pageau type trade and sign or acquire Zucker. Nice job.

What do you about the idea that the Hawks can have one tank/rebuilding year and become Cup contenders in 21-22 if they make the right moves? Is it possible?

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Fire Stan, fire JC, trade Toews.

Let Strome and Crawford walk and tell Seabrook to stay away.

See if Saad will take a discount on a new deal if not trade him.

Try and bring in Pietrangelo and Lehner if you can but if not it ok because tank year

Blow it the hell up...one goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad