• Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Bunny for me. He isnt injured all the time. He is accepted by our coaching staff. And i saw a few things i liked from him. That is a lot more than i saw or will see from prospects with maybe higher ceilings. Mostly because our franchise thinks they are years away...

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I feel like consensus is really going to fracture here, but I'm backing the Millmen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I went with Allison. I like what I hear about Millman but I haven't seen enough of him myself. He also has a more difficult road to getting into the Flyers lineup. A healthy Allison has potential to be a really valuable bottom 6 forward for us.

Reactions: Tripod and deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I went with Allison. I like what I hear about Millman but I haven't seen enough of him myself. He also has a more difficult road to getting into the Flyers lineup. A healthy Allison has potential to be a really valuable bottom 6 forward for us.

Allison has been playing at a higher level of hockey than Millman, was excelling before he blew out the knee, and showed that he's back the second half of last season.

PFs with 20+ goal potential are more valuable than puck moving LHDS (unless they're elite), because the later have become far more common in the NHL, while PFs who can score are still rare.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Noah Cates.

I think his probability of becoming an NHL regular is higher than anyone else on the board by a decent margin. I could be wrong, but it felt like no prospect left was worth gambling on, versus the relative safety of Cates.

Cates is a big, smart, versatile player with PK value, good hands in tight, and few warts. A pretty ideal support or complimentary-style winger for the bottom six. Sign me up.

Millman was tempting in this spot. He's a toolsy, ascending talent, and plays a more premium position. It was a tough call, but I took the more conservative route. I just really like the odds for Cates to "make it."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Cates has a high probability of making it as a bottom six player, and his increase in scoring in his second college season on a team that is defensively oriented is a good sign.
But while Cates is safer (and one of my favorites), right now, I don't think he has the offensive potential of Allison.

What makes Cates intriguing is that he has a high probability of improving over the next few years due to his combination of IQ, work ethic and all around skill set. He may well be a middle six or even a top six forward 3 years from now.
Allison is harder to project as a fourth year senior who missed maybe a year due to injury,.

So should you rank players on their upside, their probability of success, or some "expected value" that combines the two?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Noah Cates.

I think his probability of becoming an NHL regular is higher than anyone else on the board by a decent margin. I could be wrong, but it felt like no prospect left was worth gambling on, versus the relative safety of Cates.

Cates is a big, smart, versatile player with PK value, good hands in tight, and few warts. A pretty ideal support or complimentary-style winger for the bottom six. Sign me up.

Millman was tempting in this spot. He's a toolsy, ascending talent, and plays a more premium position. It was a tough call, but I took the more conservative route. I just really like the odds for Cates to "make it."

Im surprised to see this from you, I feel like generally you lean towards the player with higher upside as your tie breaker.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Millman’s still available? Guess I’m voting for him again. Andrae is my 8th best prospect but he isn’t an option anymore. So....it’s Millman time again.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Noah Cates.

Surprised he didn't get any votes last round. He's right there with Laczynski imo. Little younger. Little less NHL-ready but I think he's knocking on the door next year if they have a somewhat normal season this year.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Im surprised to see this from you, I feel like generally you lean towards the player with higher upside as your tie breaker.

Usually, yeah. I just really like his chances, and couldn't pass on a possible legit main roster body. Plus, a much, much needed incoming PK option. Millman has so many more hills to climb to be an NHL regular.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Interesting that Allison has 12 votes to only 1 for Ratcliffe.

Not saying it’s wrong. I have Ratcliffe, Allison, & Wisdom all pretty close.

But something seemed off with Allison’s hockey sense every time I watched him play for W. Mich. He’s a strong farm boy with a good shot, I’ll give him that. He’s also 2 years older than Ratcliffe, though. I’ll be curious as to who has the better pro career.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison is two years older and both more polished and physically mature than Ratcliffe.
So there's less uncertainty, the knee was the big issue and that seemed to have been resolved in the second half of his senior year.
Even if he's never a good two way player (like TK, just want him to be viable on defense), he has 20+ goal potential.

While I can overlook Ratcliffe struggling his first AHL season, he has yet to fill out, so there's more uncertainty, can he carry 220+ lbs and how will it impact his skating? And if he can't carry much more than 200 lbs, with his high center of gravity, he'll be a finesse player and he's not skilled enough to go the Voracek route.

Millman exceeded expectations at 18, but still have to see if he takes another step up, until then I have him behind Cates.
Solovyov had 40 points in 53 games on the same team, and he was a 7th rd pick. 2 points in 15 KHL games this year.
So Millman's numbers last year may have been inflated by the team he played on.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
After the top-4 this kind of becomes a crapshoot. But, what isn't a crapshoot is Cates. He seems to have a skillset that should transition nicely into a bottom-6 role. My only viewings of him are limited to his WJC appearance, so I'm by no means edjumacated. But, I liked what I saw. I'd take my chances on him over Allison or Ratty any day.

I voted Milliman, cause RHD and Teddy boy likes him.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I'm still mad we wasted a 1st on job, shit is so stupid, there were much better options available and nobody wanted him

Reactions: Hexy4

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Allison is two years older and both more polished and physically mature than Ratcliffe.
So there's less uncertainty, the knee was the big issue and that seemed to have been resolved in the second half of his senior year.
Even if he's never a good two way player (like TK, just want him to be viable on defense), he has 20+ goal potential.

While I can overlook Ratcliffe struggling his first AHL season, he has yet to fill out, so there's more uncertainty, can he carry 220+ lbs and how will it impact his skating? And if he can't carry much more than 200 lbs, with his high center of gravity, he'll be a finesse player and he's not skilled enough to go the Voracek route.

Millman exceeded expectations at 18, but still have to see if he takes another step up, until then I have him behind Cates.
Solovyov had 40 points in 53 games on the same team, and he was a 7th rd pick. 2 points in 15 KHL games this year.
Like I said, I’m not arguing with anyone who puts Allison ahead of Ratcliffe. It’s very close, pretty much a coin flip, & I get that Allison is older & much more physically mature. I’m just a little surprised it’s so lopsided at 12-1. I tend to think Ratcliffe has the higher ceiling, though he’s got a lot of developing to do. I didn’t like the Allison pick at the time, & I still question his hockey sense & consistency, but I’ve come around to where I think he will be an effective NHLer. He should have a much better rookie AHL season than Ratcliffe did due to his age & physical maturity.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

Apples & Oranges comparison. Solovyov is a year older and a lot more physically mature than Millman. Solovyov got prime PP1 time pretty much all year too. He’s slow AF and the hockey sense is pretty meh.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Apples & Oranges comparison. Solovyov is a year older and a lot more physically mature than Millman. Solovyov got prime PP1 time pretty much all year too. He’s slow AF and the hockey sense is pretty meh.

That's the point of course, Solvyov isn't that good yet he put up very good numbers on a team with an elite scorer and a number of other solid forwards. So it makes Millman's numbers a little suspect. Doesn't mean he's not talented, but let's see if he takes a step up this season, especially if Perfetti (#10-2020, 61g, 111 points, +49) goes to the NHL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad