2020-21 Division I Hockey Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Can the Frozen Four Become March Madness?
New programs continue to spring up in the men's college hockey landscape and with them, hope for a bigger stage.

Ryan Kennedy
Feb 5, 2021

As someone who grew up on March Madness basketball, I often think about a future in which NCAA hockey is big enough that the Frozen Four field can be expanded. Maybe not a 64-team bracket, but 32 would be very fun, particularly if the tournament featured schools that casual fans could relate to. How far off are we from UCLA or Texas joining the likes of Michigan and Boston College?

Perhaps this seems far-fetched to some hockey fans, but the idea of Arizona State getting a Division 1 team probably wasn't on anyone's radar 10 years ago either, and the Sun Devils have already made the national tournament and had a player debut in the NHL (Ottawa Senators goalie Joey Daccord).

More recently, however, I've been thinking about the new and intriguing programs in men's hockey. Long Island University has beaten the odds by putting together a program from scratch in less than a year and the Sharks have wins over Holy Cross, RIT and Army in their debut season. ...

Now there is talk that Lindenwood University in the St. Louis suburbs is considering the move to D1 (but for the record, I've been told there is still a lot of work to do - this is not a sure thing). Like LIU, Lindenwood already has a women's D1 team, so they would be going in with some experience. Geographically, the Lions would be a great fit since St. Louis has been riding a wave of good hockey vibes in the past few years thanks to the Blues' Stanley Cup title and the city hosting the NHL All-Star Game (St. Louis is also slated to host the Frozen Four in 2025). ...

Read more at: Can the Frozen Four Become March Madness?

Reactions: mk80

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston

A timely post...I was starting to wonder about when the "Illinois to NCAA...no seriously" posts would start popping up. It's getting to be that time of year. ;)

That said, it will take plenty more programs to make the jump in order for the tournament to expand. I forgot the percentage that the NCAA requires, but it'll probably stay at 16 for the foreseeable future. Not to say I wouldn't like to see more schools add hockey, but I'm not holding my breath.

Side note: I was looking for the rules on USCHO, since they were posted there for a long time, but couldn't find them on the new re-designed site. I can't believe they actually paid a web developer for that work.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A timely post...I was starting to wonder about when the "Illinois to NCAA...no seriously" posts would start popping up. It's getting to be that time of year. ;)

That said, it will take plenty more programs to make the jump in order for the tournament to expand. I forgot the percentage that the NCAA requires, but it'll probably stay at 16 for the foreseeable future. Not to say I wouldn't like to see more schools add hockey, but I'm not holding my breath. ...
Full Disclosure: My primary motivation for posting that THN article was because it had a rare mention of my hometown team, Lindenwood U. Otherwise, I don't put much stock in an NCAA Division I hockey story written by a Toronto-based sports writer. :whatever:

Reactions: mk80 and BOS358

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Side note: I was looking for the rules on USCHO, since they were posted there for a long time, but couldn't find them on the new re-designed site. I can't believe they actually paid a web developer for that work.
I did manage to find via Search on their site a link to the 2015-16 & 2015-16 NCAA Ice Hockey Rulebook. From there it was just 2 clicks away to get to the current Rules pub: NCAA Publications - 2020-21 and 2021-22 NCAA Ice Hockey Rules & Interpretations. PDF version is a free download.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOS358

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Regarding Lindenwood, here are some additional nuggets of info that were on Twitter a few days ago.

It appears they were one of the few unnamed schools in partnership with the NHL for feasibility studies. Illinois and Oakland University (MI) along with the Blackhawks and Red Wings respectively were the other 2.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
It appears they were one of the few unnamed schools in partnership with the NHL for feasibility studies. Illinois and Oakland University (MI) along with the Blackhawks and Red Wings respectively were the other 2.

I'm wondering what exactly is in those "NHL feasibility studies." The two that came up the most were Illinois and Oakland, yet I don't think anybody has a doubt that programs could work at either of those two if they could just get them off the ground. How much is the NHL wasting on these, and why does nothing happen after they have been concluded?

Meanwhile, Long Island University, which I doubt most people had even heard of (self included,) managed to get a program running despite the whole thing looking like a complete joke a year ago.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm wondering what exactly is in those "NHL feasibility studies." The two that came up the most were Illinois and Oakland, yet I don't think anybody has a doubt that programs could work at either of those two if they could just get them off the ground. How much is the NHL wasting on these, and why does nothing happen after they have been concluded?

Meanwhile, Long Island University, which I doubt most people had even heard of (self included,) managed to get a program running despite the whole thing looking like a complete joke a year ago.
On a general level I think those studies are done to outline costs associated, determine if there's enough community support, etc. and what it would take for the schools to be able to do it. In the end for the NHL their cost is likely very minimal and the heart of their goal is to grow the game of hockey in the states, which ultimately ends up with more fans, and thus more revenue for them. It's a low cost, low risk, high reward situation for the NHL and it's teams.

LIU's entry into the field, I believe is more of an exception than the rule. The most recent additions to the D1 ranks (Penn State, ASU) have been because of large donations specifically geared toward adding the sport. And the others that have popped into discussion the past few years such as Illinois are ones that have been announced to be working with other entities to craft a plan for adding the sport. In LIU's case they came of nowhere, in the middle of a time when college hockey and sports in general didn't know when they could play again, and not even the largest insiders in college hockey had heard a single word about them.

For Lindenwood, this isn't the first time they've entered the conversation to go DI in hockey. See this article from 04: Lindenwood Explores Move Into D-I

With the move last year to the new Centene Community Ice Center they had a DI quality arena fall into their laps. It definitely peaked some interest in the STL hockey community. The school is hosting a 2024 NCAA Men's Regional, which I personally don't think they do without having an NCAA DI team.
Lindenwood Selected as Host for 2024 NCAA Division I Men’s Hockey Regional - Lindenwood University Athletics

Could it not pan out once again? Yes. But there are a lot more pieces in place this time around for them.

Reactions: JMCx4

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
In the end for the NHL their cost is likely very minimal and the heart of their goal is to grow the game of hockey in the states, which ultimately ends up with more fans, and thus more revenue for them. It's a low cost, low risk, high reward situation for the NHL and it's teams.

Good to know. Given the relatively high profile of such studies that often produced things that college hockey observers likely already knew, I had assumed the "buzz" was matched by a hefty dollar amount.

LIU's entry into the field, I believe is more of an exception than the rule.

No need to "believe" that, it's the absolute truth. Penn State had been rumored for a long time, and ASU seemed to come out of nowhere, but picked up steam very quickly. LIU almost seemed like a hoax.

For Lindenwood, this isn't the first time they've entered the conversation to go DI in hockey. See this article from 04: Lindenwood Explores Move Into D-I

I remember that and it actually seemed like a surprise that it never happened.

Could it not pan out once again? Yes. But there are a lot more pieces in place this time around for them.

Here's hoping it does! Truth is, my attempts at creating new hockey fans always begin with NCAA games. It'd be nice to have more people get to experience them.

Reactions: JMCx4 and mk80

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hockey East Unveils 2021 Tournament and Seeding Format
Single-Elimination Tournament Debuts On Campus for 2021 Crowning

Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021

PDF Format - Current Men's HEPI Rankings - Current Women's HEPI Rankings

WAKEFIELD, Mass. - The Hockey East Association announced today the 2021 men’s and women’s tournaments will be a single-elimination format with each game hosted at the home arena of the higher seed. Additionally, the league announced seeding will be determined by a newly-developed mathematical formula dubbed the Hockey East Power Index. The unveiling comes after it was announced earlier this season that all eligible teams will qualify for the 2021 Tournaments. ...

... Following the conclusion of the regular season on Sunday, February 21, the women’s Tournament will begin with two Opening Round games on Wednesday, February 24. The seventh-seeded program will host the 10 seed and the eight seed will welcome the nine seed while seeds 1-6 enjoy a bye into the quarterfinals. All remaining teams will be reseeded before the quarterfinal round on Sunday, February 28. Semifinals will take place on Wednesday, March 3 and the championship game will be held on Saturday, March 6 to determine the winner of the Bertagna Trophy. ...

The men’s Tournament will follow a similar format, beginning with three opening round games between seeds 6-11 on Wednesday, March 10. Seeds 1-5 automatically qualify for the quarterfinals. Following a reseeding, the quarterfinals take place on Sunday, March 14. The semifinals are set for Wednesday, March 17 with the Lamoriello Trophy to be handed out in the championship game on Saturday, March 20. The latest possible date of the men’s regular season will be Sunday, March 7....

The winner of each Tournament will receive Hockey East’s automatic bid into the men’s and women’s national tournament.

The Hockey East Power Index (HEPI) is a customized objective mathematical formula never before used in college sports, created specifically to more accurately rank Hockey East teams based on the 2020-21 league schedule format. The ranking system is similar to the formula used to determine NCAA Tournament field based on in-season results. ...

At the conclusion of the regular season, the team with the highest Hockey East Power Index will be declared the 2020-21 Regular Season Champion and awarded the regular season trophy....

Read more at: Hockey East Unveils 2021 Tournament and Seeding Format - Hockey East Association

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Same-same as last week's rankings ... :boredom:
USCHO Division I Women's Poll - February 8, 2021

RnkTeam(First Place Votes)RecordPointsLast Poll
1Wisconsin(15)9-2-11501
2Minnesota9-5-11282
3Northeastern13-1-11243
4Ohio State9-5-01064
5Colgate11-4-1825
6Minnesota Duluth8-4-0636
6Boston College12-3-0637
8Penn State11-1-2508
9Clarkson8-6-1429
10Providence10-5-11110
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Others receiving votes: Robert Morris 2, Boston University 1, Vermont 1, Mercyhurst 1, Quinnipiac 1

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

NoDak climbing back up, Minnesota teams in the shuffle, UConn Huskies join the pack ...
USCHO Division I Men's Poll - February 8, 2021

RnkTeam(First Place Votes)RecordPointsLast Poll
1Boston College(23)11-3-17711
2North Dakota(10)13-4-17623
3Minnesota State(5)11-2-17086
4Minnesota Duluth(2)12-5-26785
5Minnesota 15-5-06022
6St. Cloud 12-7-05824
7Wisconsin 13-7-057911
8Michigan 10-6-05427
9Massachusetts 11-5-344110
10Omaha 11-6-14329
11Quinnipiac 12-5-340212
12Bowling Green 16-6-03858
13Boston University 6-2-034215
14Clarkson 9-7-420313
15AIC 13-3-016917
16Providence 8-6-416516
17Bemidji State 7-4-315518
18Northeastern 6-5-212114
19Robert Morris 14-5-08719
20Connecticut 8-6-281NR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Others receiving votes: Notre Dame 74, Michigan Tech 67, Denver 26, Penn State 18, Lake Superior 3, UMass Lowell 3, Mercyhurst 2

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Northeastern Hockey Programs Selected to Represent USA in World University Winter Games in Switzerland
2/9/2021

BOSTON - The Northeastern men's and women's hockey programs will represent the United States of America at the FISU World University Games in Lucerne, Switzerland, from Dec. 11-21, 2021, announced by Director of Athletics and Recreation Jeff Konya on Tuesday. The Huskies become the first university in having both its men's and women's teams wear the Red, White and Blue at this prestigious competition.

"Congratulations to the Northeastern University men's and women's hockey teams on being selected to represent the United State of America in the World University Games," said Nels Hawkinson, Deputy Head of Delegation for USA Team. "A special thanks to Jeff Konya and Northeastern University on this great honor. In fact, while we have had institutions like Kansas, Baylor and Louisville represent America in the summer version of this event in the sport of basketball, it is the first time a university will represent in the sport of hockey. ...

Assembled under the auspices of the United States International University Sport Federation, the USA University Team brings together the nation's most talented student-athletes, in global university-level competition organized by FISU, the governing body for university sport worldwide. With an impressive list of former University Team student-athletes going on to compete with distinction at Pan American and Olympic Games, as well as at the highest levels of professional sport, USA University Team provides a platform for future success. ...

Staged every two years in a different city, the winter edition of the FISU World University Games is a celebration of international university sports and culture. With over 3,000 of the world's best winter sport student-athletes from more than 60 nations, the FISU World University Games is among the world's largest winter multi-sports events. ...

Read & See more at: Northeastern Hockey Programs Selected to Represent USA in World University Winter Games in Switzerland - Northeastern University Athletics

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
(CHN) Team of the Week: Wisconsin
by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor

As tremendous as Wisconsin has been playing lately, and for has pleased as head coach Tony Granato is to see his alma mater succeed this much finally now in his fourth year at the helm, the Badgers are desperately trying to keep it all in perspective.

"We're just happy to play, happy we're going well, and we want to look forward to the next challenge," Granato said.

But hey, c'mon. Wisconsin spent last weekend storming through rival territory like Sherman marching through Atlanta. Wisconsin went to Mariucci Arena, home of its most heated rival, Minnesota, a team that happened to be No. 1 in the Power 16 going in, and beat them to a combined 12-2 score. ...

The weekend was just a culmination of that mentality. In fact, the Badgers have now won seven of eight, and in those seven wins are outscoring opponents, 35-6.

It may seem like Cole Caufield has scored all 35 of those goals, but in fact, he only has 10 in that span. He does have a goal in seven straight games, and a point in 12 straight. With 17-16—35 he leads the nation in goals and points.

But the beauty lately has been seeing everyone get involved. Linemates Linus Weissbach and Ty Pelton-Byce have another 15 goals between them. Dylan Holloway and Brock Caufield each have seven, and Roman Ahcan, Jack Gorniak and freshman San Stange have five. Ahcan in particular broke out last weekend; after getting 14 goals last year he was stuck on two, until one went in off his helmet Friday. That seemed to open the floodgates, and he added two more Saturday. ...

Read more at: Team of the Week: Wisconsin

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
List from College Hockey, Inc. of Div I men's teams on a roll ...
Best Record Since Christmas
.889 – Minnesota State (8-1-0)
.833 – Michigan (5-1-0)
.800 – Wisconsin (8-2-0)
.778 – Bemidji State (6-1-2)
.778 – Michigan Tech (7-2-0)
.750 – UConn (7-2-1)
.750 – Robert Morris (9-3-0)
.750 – Boston University (6-2-0)
.750 – North Dakota (6-2-0)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
USCHO.com's weekly Div I men's conference previews for Valentine's Day weekend. Share a hockey game with someone you love :rose: ...

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Women’s DI College Hockey: How freedom and chaos beget success at Colgate

By Nicole Haase - February 11, 2021

It’s impossible to follow the Colgate women’s hockey team without seeing their motto “We Play Free” hashtagged on nearly every social media post. It’s not just a marketing tactic and it’s not tied to the school’s Raider mascot. It’s a directive.

Or better yet, a declaration.

While much of the hockey world is predicated on systems – that is, a firm set of tactics that define how a team plays – the coaches at Colgate teach a system-free approach. When they say “We Play Free,” they mean freedom on the ice to be creative and to make mistakes. ...

It’s just one example, but watch Colgate’s 2018 national semifinal win over Wisconsin and you’ll start to get a sense of how their “controlled chaos” can tie opponents in knots. The Badgers played smart, smooth hockey with quick passes and a ton of puck movement. Watch the extra frames of that national semifinal here and you’ll see how the Raiders’ play pushed them out of their comfort zone and forced them into mistakes, including the penalty which led to the power play, game-winning goal. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2021/02/11/wo...w-freedom-and-chaos-beget-success-at-colgate/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Division III cancels 2021 winter championships

Administrative Committee makes decision based on winter declaration showing low participation numbers

February 3, 2021
7:03pm
Jeremy Villanueva

Due to low participation numbers among member schools, NCAA Division III winter championships are canceled for the 2020-21 academic year.

The Division III Administrative Committee, acting on behalf of the Division III Management and Presidents Council, approved the recommendation from the Division III Championships Committee to cancel all winter championships. The committee has been closely monitoring and discussing the membership’s winter sport participation for several months, and it has been providing updates to the councils.

The Championships Committee decision was based on the results of a winter declaration form distributed to members about their intention to compete this season in a capacity that would permit them to meet the minimum contest requirements to be eligible for championship selection by the established selection dates. The declaration form was sent to Division III athletics directors Jan. 19 and completed by 98% of the membership.

The national championships affected are men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s indoor track and field, men’s and women’s ice hockey, and wrestling.

During its review of the declaration data, the Championships Committee determined participation numbers in all nine winter sports are well below the established threshold to provide a national championships experience. These established thresholds are 60% for men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, and men’s and women’s indoor track and field, and 70% for men’s and women’s ice hockey and wrestling. ...

Read more at: Division III cancels 2021 winter championships

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
After appendicitis interrupted season, CC hockey captain Cruikshank taking advantage of COVID-19 pause

Kate Shefte
Feb 5, 2021
Updated Feb 8, 2021

Grant Cruikshank will sport some new scars that didn’t come from a high stick or an errant puck.
If there is a benefit in Colorado College’s second quarantine of the season after a positive COVID-19 test, it’s that the Tigers’ junior co-captain has had more time to work his way back after his appendix burst in an emergency room waiting area Jan. 7.

The incident took a chunk out of a promising season for the forward, whose Hobey Baker nomination was announced on Monday.

“Usually if you’re playing hockey and you get hurt playing, you’re thinking, ‘I could have done this, I could have done that,’” Cruikshank said. “The appendix was so random and out of the blue.

“It was a tough pill to swallow because I couldn’t have done anything about it.” ...

Roommate Ben Copeland - “I think he would have been freaking out if he was the one who had to take care of me,” Cruikshank joked - took over on the top line with Josiah Slavin and Patrick Cozzi. Copeland has seen a scoring uptick (2 goals, 3 assists in 5 games) and he jumped ahead of Cruikshank on the CC scoring list during the six games he missed.

The Tigers lost all six. ...

Cruikshank was planning to return against Denver on Jan. 29 after just two full-contact practices. But the team returned from North Dakota with an unwelcome souvenir and shut down Jan. 26 after a player’s positive test. ...

Read more at: After appendicitis interrupted season, CC hockey captain Cruikshank taking advantage of COVID-19 pause

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad