2020-21 Division I Hockey Thread

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As with all other NCAA sports, the "powerhouse teams" rule the hockey landscape (or icescape).
conference by conference will have to buy into this.... but don't expect an expansion anytime soon, whether it's the Conference tournament or the national tournament

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Roadrunners with Frozen Four experience know all too well that ‘madness’ extends beyond the hardwood

By Brett Fera
Special to the Arizona Daily Star
Apr 1, 2021 Updated 14 hrs ago

While most Southern Arizona sports fans will be focused on the Arizona women’s basketball team’s first-ever trip to the Final Four, there’s a chunk of the Tucson Roadrunners’ roster that has seen first-hand that the madness extends beyond the hardwood.

The Roadrunners (7-11-1-0) will square off against the Henderson Silver Knights (16-3-0-0) on Friday with nine players boasting NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey experience. Four reached college hockey’s pinnacle — the NCAA’s Frozen Four. ...

Read more at: Roadrunners with Frozen Four experience know all too well that ‘madness’ extends beyond the hardwood

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
St. Cloud State Huskies
SCSU notebook: Coaches Brett Larson, Scott Sandelin, Mike Hastings are long-time friends each looking for NCAA title next week

Larson has St. Cloud State in its 2nd Frozen Four, Hastings has MSU-Mankato in its 1st and Sandelin's team will be looking for its 3rd straight title and 4th overall

Written By: Mick Hatten | 4:26 pm, Mar. 31, 2021

During a typical summer, college hockey coaches are watching junior hockey tryout camps, bringing recruits on campus for visits or taking camps for top players in their national age bracket.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, basically none of that happened. So what St. Cloud State men's coach Brett Larson, and a handful of his colleagues did was, they took part in Zoom meetings together and discussed different things about coaching. Two of the other coaches were Minnesota State University-Mankato's Mike Hastings and Minnesota Duluth's Scott Sandelin.

"I was on a conference call this summer with Hasty, Sandelin, myself and (associate head coach) Jerry Keefe from Northeastern, who we worked with on the World Juniors staff, and we would have a different pro coach do a Zoom for us every other week," Larson said. "We kind of joked that our teams were either going to be better next year or they were going to be the most overcoached because all we had to do was think about things all summer."

Let's go with each team got better. The Huskies (19-10-0) are making their second trip to the Frozen Four, one season after being 13-15-6. St. Cloud State will play the Mavericks (22-4-1) at 4 p.m. April 8 (ESPN2) in the first of the two national semifinals games. MSU-Mankato snapped a six-game losing streak in the NCAA tournament and is playing in its first Frozen Four. ...

Read more at: SCSU notebook: Coaches Brett Larson, Scott Sandelin, Mike Hastings are long-time friends each looking for NCAA title next week | The Rink Live

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MDtoGF

Jun 16, 2016
Good article. While not an avid follower of NCAA hockey, I do see the "downside" of the current format. A good team in a conference with 2 powerhouse teams will never have a chance to get to the nationals. If I understand this correctly, the #5 teams would be selected by the committee, same as the other teams now?
As you stated, this will require buy-in from a lot of people/organizations. What is the current mindset around the NCAA on something like this?
There may a push for it as more schools are looking to join. This summer you have St. Thomas joining,.
next year AHA could get a new school, Lindenwood is joining in 2 years, you have the B1G schools, and more. I think the value of increasing the meaning of the regular season for teams fighting for a 2-3 seed would add value to all games, as would it allow more schools to play in the postseason. Thanks to everyone for reading!

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And the Final 3 ...
Hobey Baker 2021 Hat Trick Announced

By Wally Shaver , 04/01/21, 1:00PM CDT

The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Committee is pleased to announce the three Hobey Baker Hat Trick finalists for the 2021 award, honoring college hockey’s top player. Alphabetically, they are: Cole Caufield, a sophomore forward from the University of Wisconsin; Dryden McKay, a junior goaltender from Minnesota State University; and Shane Pinto, a sophomore forward from the University of North Dakota.

The three finalists were selected from the initial list of Top Ten candidates by the 30-member Selection Committee and an additional round of online fan balloting to determine this year’s Hobey Baker Award winner. Criteria for the award includes: displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game; strength of character on and off the ice; sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

This year’s Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Friday, April 9, 2021 live on NHL Network beginning at 6:00 pm ET. The 41st annual Hobey Baker Award show will also include the announcements of the Hockey Humanitarian Award, the East and West All-American Teams and the Mike Richter Award for the nation’s top college hockey goalie. Alphabetically, here is more on this year’s three Hobey Hat Trick finalists. ...

Read the Finalists' Profiles at: Hobey Baker 2021 Hat Trick Announced

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
In the shadows of the men's Frozen Four hype, the women get their due ...
-----------------------------------------
Women’s Division I College Hockey: 2020-2021 All-USCHO Teams

By Nicole Haase-April 2, 2021

Twelve different programs are represented on the All-USCHO Women’s Division I teams this year. Northeastern and Wisconsin lead the way, each placing four players on our lists.

First Team
F: Daryl Watts, Sr – Wisconsin
F: Danielle Serdachny, So – Colgate
F: Alina Mueller, Jr – Northeastern
D: Ashton Bell, Sr – Minnesota Duluth
D: Skylar Fontaine, Sr – Northeastern
G: Aerin Frankel, Sr – Northeastern ...

Read more for the Second & Third Teams plus the Noteworthy Rookies at: https://www.uscho.com/2021/04/02/womens-division-i-college-hockey-2020-2021-all-uscho-teams/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I think the value of increasing the meaning of the regular season for teams fighting for a 2-3 seed would add value to all games, as would it allow more schools to play in the postseason. ...
Unless there's enough money in the tournament expansion scheme to far outstrip the logistical costs, I doubt it will ever happen. College hockey's popularity has a LONG way to go to even approach that of college basketball, which is where the sport would have to be to warrant attention from a major media network with significant & sustained sources of revenue.

MDtoGF

Jun 16, 2016
Unless there's enough money in the tournament expansion scheme to far outstrip the logistical costs, I doubt it will ever happen. College hockey's popularity has a LONG way to go to even approach that of college basketball, which is where the sport would have to be to warrant attention from a major media network with significant & sustained sources of revenue.
While the sport does have room to grow, I'm effectively asking for four more games on espn plus with the same crews already in place. It gives ESPN some more inventory to sell ads, four teams get into the tournament, and the regular season means more for the teams fighting to not be a four seed. Fair concerns and thanks to all for reading!

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
While the sport does have room to grow, I'm effectively asking for four more games on espn plus with the same crews already in place. It gives ESPN some more inventory to sell ads ...
My "enough money" comment was focused on the NCAA & its members. I doubt they care much about the survival of the ESPN network.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From College Hockey Inc.'s April 5th Notebook ...
On the rise – With three of the Frozen Four teams making their first (Minnesota State) or second (Massachusetts, St. Cloud State) appearance in the event, it’s safe to say that this is not a gathering of the sport’s traditional powers. What’s especially noteworthy is how far the UMass and Minnesota State programs have come in a relatively short period of time. The Minutemen are only three years removed from an eight-year stretch in which they never finished above eighth place in Hockey East (2010-11 through 2017-18). Less than 10 years ago Minnesota State snapped a similar four-year stretch in the WCHA (2008-09 through 2011-12). The teams’ performances in the last four seasons, however, have vaulted them into the sport’s elite.

Frozen Four Teams’ Conference Finishes, Last 15 Years ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
CHN speaks the unspeakable ...
April 5, 2021

College Hockey World Crosses Fingers as Teams Travel to Pittsburgh

by Jashvina Shah/Staff Writer

Today is the day Frozen Four teams are leaving their home towns, and traveling to Pittsburgh. It will be followed by immediate COVID tests and quaranting for a day, before practicing Wednesday.

Given what happened at the NCAA Regionals, this comes with understandable anxiety about making sure all teams get through the protocols, so we can even have two national semifinal games Thursday. And unlike the NCAA basketball tournaments, and women's hockey tournament, the men's hockey tournament teams left their Regional sites, went home for a week, and now are travelling again. ...

Read more at: College Hockey World Crosses Fingers as Teams Travel to Pittsburgh

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The CHN Jinx strikes UMass ... :(
Hockey April 06, 2021
Massachusetts Hockey Roster Update

The Minutemen will be without four players for Thursday’s NCAA Semifinal due to COVID-19 contact tracing protocols

AMHERST, Mass. – Due to COVID-19 contact tracing protocols and in accordance with University of Massachusetts policies, the Massachusetts ice hockey team will be without four players for Thursday's NCAA Frozen Four game vs. Minnesota-Duluth: Carson Gicewicz, Henry Graham, Jerry Harding and Filip Lindberg. ...

Read more at: Massachusetts Hockey Roster Update - University of Massachusetts Athletics

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Regarding the UMass Covid thingy, what's the difference between them and Notre Dame or Michigan? Both those teams were required to withdraw from regionals. Is it that UMass guys were close contacts but not tested positive? What happens if a player does test positive? Is the team out?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Regarding the UMass Covid thingy, what's the difference between them and Notre Dame or Michigan? Both those teams were required to withdraw from regionals. Is it that UMass guys were close contacts but not tested positive? What happens if a player does test positive? Is the team out?
I have not seen any details, but I suspect the four players were identified (separately or collectively) via contact tracing. UMass Coach Carvel simply called it an "unfortunate situation." Both Notre Dame & Michigan squads had confirmed positive test results. It appears by this NCAA Championships Safety Overview webpage that the individual winter sports were given flexibility to establish their own COVID protocols; again, I've seen no details of men's hockey championships strategies/guidelines/rules.

Reactions: AUS Fan

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
UMASS: COVID-19 protocol absences turn equipment assistant into backup goalie for Frozen Four

By Todd D. Milewski - April 7, 2021

Whenever a piece of equipment didn’t work out for a UMass goalie over the last few seasons, it was like Christmas for Zac Steigmeyer.

Veteran Minutemen equipment manager Josh Penn let Steigmeyer, his student assistant and a former high school goalie, go through the discarded pads, gloves and blockers to use when he faced shots in summer skates with friends in Western Massachusetts.

Because of that, he won’t immediately look out of place when he skates onto the ice for warmups before the Frozen Four semifinals on Thursday.

Starting goalie Filip Lindberg and third-stringer Henry Graham were among four players ruled out because of COVID-19 protocols. That left Matt Murray as the only goalie on the roster.

When news of positive tests got to the team last Friday night, UMass realized it needed a backup goalie for Thursday’s game against Minnesota Duluth.

Enter Steigmeyer for a bittersweet experience. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2021/04/07/um...assistant-into-backup-goalie-for-frozen-four/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This is the day that COVID Hockey has made ...

2021 NCAA Men's Hockey Championship Bracket.JPG

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
College Hockey Inc.'s Frozen Four Media Kit ... http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2021/03/2021_NCAA_Tournament_FF.pdf

CHI FF Header.JPG

And some more preview material from their College Hockey Notebook ...
C-ing things – College hockey captains typically boast impressive back-stories, and the leaders of the four teams in Pittsburgh are no exception:

Massachusetts: Jake Gaudet (Ottawa, Ont./Kemptville-CCHL) has had up-and-down offensive contributions through his UMass career, but he enters the Frozen Four on a roll. After scoring twice in the regular season he has three goals in his last three games, including a pair in the NCAA Tournament opener against Lake Superior State.

Minnesota Duluth: Noah Cates (Stillwater, Minn./Omaha-USHL/PHI) and older brother Jackson (Stillwater, Minn./Waterloo-USHL) are the top two centers for the Bulldogs, one of two pairs of brothers in the Frozen Four. The Flyers prospect is the lone NHL draft pick among the four captains.

Minnesota State: Riese Zmolek (Rochester, Minn./Cedar Rapids-USHL) is one of two seniors leading a relatively young Maverick defense. His brother, Will, also made the NCAA Tournament with Bemidji State, while their father, Doug, played nearly 500 NHL games in his career.

St. Cloud State: Spencer Meier (Sartell, Minn./Fargo-USHL) grew up a St. Cloud State fan, rooting for the school where his father, Kevin, was a baseball standout. He learned to play on his backyard pond, about five miles north of the St. Cloud campus.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad