2020-21 Division I Hockey Thread

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
High scoring affair between UNO and Western Michigan. 3-2 already not even halfway through 2.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
WMU lost to UNO early in Bubble Hockey by a 10-2 score, and have given up 8 & 6 goals in subsequent NCHC play in Omaho. So "High scoring affair" is a relative term.
Haha, I'm just getting into College Hockey more recently. Been enjoying it so far.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I've been trying to keep the Florida Panther board updated on their NCAA prospects. I've never watched this hockey before, although I saw live two games in Wisco versus Michigan State back in 2007. (My roommate in college was best friends with Brian Elliott).

That being said, I had no idea Arizona State even had a team, and every time I noticed them playing, they are winning. What gives?

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I actually watched this game last night. I had a hard time telling if Saint Cloud was good, or Colorado College was not a good team.
I decided that CC wasn't very good.
You made the right decision. But in their defense, the Tigers did get a late start in Bubble Hockey while the league's preseason poll smartly ranked them 7th out of the 8 teams (Miami-Ohio bringing up the rear). So a 2-2-1-0-0-1 start for CC is actually a testament to their team's desire to compete, and running up an early 3-0 lead over an improving Huskies squad should give the Tigers even more motivation to improve. Overall, the Opening in Omaha has featured some very good hockey and will be something for all participants to remember - maybe even fondly?

Reactions: Cold Cat

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... That being said, I had no idea Arizona State even had a team, and every time I noticed them playing, they are winning. What gives?
The Devils - in their 6th season of NCAA D1 hockey play - managed to catch the Badgers squad flat-footed (relatively weak vs. previous years) for an early season two-game sweep in Madison, and took that momentum to South Bend to split with Notre Dame the following weekend. This week they've tied & won @ Ohio State to improve their overall record to 4-6-2, so it's looking like ASU's invitation to play with The B1G Boys has been accepted enthusiastically. The second half of their season should be interesting to follow. :popcorn:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@Cold Cat : I see from this recent NHL.com NCAA prospects article that Florida has a few Hockey East prospects. You might wanna keep an eye on the streaming schedule for future CBS Sports College Sports Live Hockey East games involving Merrimack, Northeastern, BC and UConn, to catch some free-to-watch games to see those young men play. Near term, UConn and sophomore D Carter Berger play at UMass-Lowell on Monday evening @ 5 p.m. ET which will be on the Hockey East free stream.
Thanks so much!
I am quite intrigued by Merrimack Zach Uens. He was their fourth round pick in the draft this season, and I can't wait to see him play. He hasn't suited up yet due to covid-19 .

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
upload_2020-12-19_22-28-16.png

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Colorado College has some ugly jerseys.
Hey, hey now, don't go dissing the kit. There's a wide mix of plain & decorated jerseys across NCAA Div I hockey (both men & women), and I'm seeing a trend leading back to previous time frames when it was rare to see a team logo on a jersey. Admittedly, maybe CC could've shopped somewhere else for gear that didn't use generic beer league product with press-on lettering. But as long as their equipment manager has packed a travel iron and a needle & thread, it's Game On just like the rest of the Tigers' more nattily attired Bubble Hockey opponents. :whatever:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... That being said, I had no idea Arizona State even had a team, and every time I noticed them playing, they are winning. What gives?
The Devils - in their 6th season of NCAA D1 hockey play - managed to catch the Badgers squad flat-footed (relatively weak vs. previous years) for an early season two-game sweep in Madison, and took that momentum to South Bend to split with Notre Dame the following weekend. This week they've tied & won @ Ohio State to improve their overall record to 4-6-2, so it's looking like ASU's invitation to play with The B1G Boys has been accepted enthusiastically. The second half of their season should be interesting to follow. :popcorn:
Some further perspective on ASU's B1G journey so far this crazy season, courtesy of USCHO.com ...
Arizona State closes out 36-day road trip on a high note, upsets No. 18 Ohio State, 3-2

By USCHO Staff
December 18, 2020

It’s been a very long time since the Arizona State Sun Devils left their campus on Tempe for a 36-day road trip, the longest ever by a college hockey team.

But taking classes remotely and playing hockey in empty buildings, Arizona State is ready to return home on a high note after a 3-2 upset victory on Friday over No. 18 Ohio State. ...

After moving from city-to-city, campus-to-campus for more than five weeks, the Sun Devils can return to sunny Arizona for a few weeks. The team is playing its entire season on the road against Big Ten opponents and will return to play on January 2 and 3 when they travel to current No. 1 Minnesota. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2020/12/18/ar...p-on-a-high-note-upsets-no-18-ohio-state-3-2/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
USCHO.com runs down the men's & women's action from this past week ...

Rankings roundup: How the top 20 NCAA hockey teams fared, Dec. 14-20

... December 20, 2020

Here is a rundown of how the top 20 teams in the USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll of Dec. 14 fared in games over the week of Dec. 14-20 ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2020/12/20/rankings-roundup-how-the-top-20-ncaa-hockey-teams-fared-dec-14-20/

Women’s Division I College Hockey Weekend Wrap: December 21

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
December 21, 2020
NCHC Takes Well-Deserved Bow as Pod Comes to an End
by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor

If you were sitting home, enjoying watching 38 hockey games in 19 days — well-produced, high-level hockey games — it might be easy to forget just how crazy and precarious this "pod" idea was when it was first introduced.

Trying to find a way to schedule a decent-sized season amid a pandemic, the NCHC powers that be began floating the idea of playing a bunch of games in a single location prior to the holidays. Most colleges and universities were cutting short their fall semesters, ending around Thanksgiving, which would good sports team a window to do whatever.

The NCHC, as spread out as it is, figured the best way was to get everyone together in one place, lock them down in a bubble akin to what the NHL accomplished, test stringently, and hope for the best.
So, the first half of the NCHC schedule was born, unto a "pod" in Omaha, Nebraska.

A couple months later, here we are. The pod is done. The games were played. Not a single hitch after Colorado College's late arrival because of positive tests while back in Colorado Springs, weeks before the pod started.

"There's certainly a sense of relief, excitement that we were able to accomplish our goal or providing this experience to 280 student-athletes through eight institutions," NCHC commissioner Josh Fenton said Monday afternoon, after the conclusion of the final game of the pod schedule, Nebraska-Omaha's win over Colorado College.

"A lot of us are feeling a huge sense of pride." ...

Read more at: NCHC Takes Well-Deserved Bow as Pod Comes to an End

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad