Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
1. Kirill Kaprizov, W - 74.6%
2. Marco Rossi, C - 100%
3. Matthew Boldy, LW - 83.1%

+ Nico Sturm (via coinflip)

Only players who are eligible for the 2021 Calder trophy. Calder eligibility is defined as:

- No older than 26 years old as of September 15th, 2020
- Has not played in more than 25 games in one season or more than 6 games in two consecutive seasons

The poll will be open for 24 hours.

Don't forget to nominate who goes on next!

Below are the list of eligible players:

William Bitten, D
Mitchell Chaffee, RW
Connor Dewar, C/LW
Brandon Duhaime, W
Vladislav Firstov, LW
Damien Giroux, C
Fedor Gordeev, D
Matvei Guskov, C
Sam Hentges, C
Daemon Hunt, D
Filip Johansson, D
Simon Johansson, D
Luke Johnson, C
Jack McBain, C
Dakota Mermis, D
Bryce Misley, C
Nikita Nesterenko, C
Pavel Novak, W
Mason Shaw, C
Dmitri Sokolov, W
Andrei Svetlakov, C
Nick Swaney, RW
Marshall Warren, D
Dereck Baribeau, G
Filip Lindberg, G

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
@2Pair, I like that Beckman pick. I might flip my pick to him still yet. I like his game and think he's got a bit more upside than some will give him credit for. My next pick would've been between him and Addison.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Not sure why Adam Beckman isn't considered a more highly touted prospect. He's done everything right these last couple of years.

Same with Menell.

I don't believe the Wild prospect pool has ever been this deep. I know we were all excited for the Zucker, Granlund, Brodin, Coyle class. ( I may be missing somone )

Zucker is a B level star, Granlund is a B level star in the right situation, Brodin is a B level star. And Boston loves Charlie Coyle.

But I think when it's all said and done this prospect class will be the real deal.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
@2Pair, I like that Beckman pick. I might flip my pick to him still yet. I like his game and think he's got a bit more upside than some will give him credit for. My next pick would've been between him and Addison.
I think Addison is being a bit overrated based on a couple of scrimmages where his flaws were hidden. I was stuck deciding between Beckman and Khovanov. Chose the guy that did it in his draft+1 year as opposed to his draft+2.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Not sure why Adam Beckman isn't considered a more highly touted prospect. He's done everything right these last couple of years.

Same with Menell.

I don't believe the Wild prospect pool has ever been this deep. I know we were all excited for the Zucker, Granlund, Brodin, Coyle class. ( I may be missing somone )

Zucker is a B level star, Granlund is a B level star in the right situation, Brodin is a B level star. And Boston loves Charlie Coyle.

But I think when it's all said and done this prospect class will be the real deal.
This is kind of where I'm leaning as well.

Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, Beckman, Khovanov, Menell, Kahkonen, Addison, Firstov, Khustnutdinov, O'Rourke

You're talking one of the deepest prospect pools the Wild have ever had and there's a few guys there that this upcoming season should make big strides to put themselves into top prospect considerations.

Reactions: 2Pair

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think Addison is being a bit overrated based on a couple of scrimmages where his flaws were hidden. I was stuck deciding between Beckman and Khovanov. Chose the guy that did it in his draft+1 year as opposed to his draft+2.
Yea I agree. Addison shows promise but I would've liked to see him in actual game situations to get a better look.

It'll be interesting to see who they invite to camp and how many of them get looks for 9 games.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
4. O'Rourke
5. Addison
6. Beckman
7. Khovanov
8. Menell
9. Firstov
10. Khusnutdinov
11. Dewar
12. Warren
13. Novak
14. Sturm
15. Nesterenko

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I think I'd rank

Addison
Beckman
ROR
Kahkonen
Menell
Khudinusov
Firstov
Khovanov

Just based on all around mix of ceiling, exp, likely to be nhler etc.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Beckman here. As long as he can keep up in the NHL, goal scorers score goals.

I like what I hear about Addison, but the bust rate for Offensive D is high even in the new NHL and I haven't seen enough of him personally to over ride it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Johan Larsson; but we've had a prospect class this deep. THN had an entire article on Minnesota's prospects back in 2012 that started with, "You take one look at the Minnesota Wild's list of prospects, and after you put your jaw back in place..."

Mikael Granlund was considered the 2nd best prospect in the World ranked by THN. Jonas Brodin was 12th, Charlie Coyle 14th, Matt Hackett 35th, Johan Larsson 38th.

In. The. World.

People were salivating over Minnesota's prospect list in 2012 and one of the reasons why Parise and Suter decided to sign with them. Minnesota had one of the best prospects in the world in Granlund, and then had a deep pool, which didn't include Dumba (not drafted yet), Zucker (still in college and a dark horse), Bulmer (hasn't busted yet), Haula (still in college, no one knew about him). AND this is after they traded Leddy.

You can understand why some Wild fans are skeptical this time around. We've seen this before.

Granlund was seen as an elite talent, a franchise savior similar to Kaprizov, but I think even more so. I think some were thinking Granlund would be putting up PPG numbers in his prime. The fact that Granlund not only put up 69 points and couldn't squeeze out 30 goals makes him one of the biggest draft disappointments (and prospect disappointments) in the past decade.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
surprised Kaapo Kahkonen isn't getting more votes. I'm have tempted to change my vote to him. Last year's AHL goalie and AHL all star the year before. There were people that wanted him to get the net this next season. People are voting for guys that aren't even in the AHL (i'm guilty of this too) over a guy that has a real shot of being a NHL player in the next two years and maybe even a starter.

I know some people vote for how they project their career but not all prospects makes the NHL. Screw it i'm changing my vote to Big Kahk.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Johan Larsson; but we've had a prospect class this deep. THN had an entire article on Minnesota's prospects back in 2012 that started with, "You take one look at the Minnesota Wild's list of prospects, and after you put your jaw back in place..."

Mikael Granlund was considered the 2nd best prospect in the World ranked by THN. Jonas Brodin was 12th, Charlie Coyle 14th, Matt Hackett 35th, Johan Larsson 38th.

In. The. World.

People were salivating over Minnesota's prospect list in 2012 and one of the reasons why Parise and Suter decided to sign with them. Minnesota had one of the best prospects in the world in Granlund, and then had a deep pool, which didn't include Dumba (not drafted yet), Zucker (still in college and a dark horse), Bulmer (hasn't busted yet), Haula (still in college, no one knew about him). AND this is after they traded Leddy.

You can understand why some Wild fans are skeptical this time around. We've seen this before.

Granlund was seen as an elite talent, a franchise savior similar to Kaprizov, but I think even more so. I think some were thinking Granlund would be putting up PPG numbers in his prime. The fact that Granlund not only put up 69 points and couldn't squeeze out 30 goals makes him one of the biggest draft disappointments (and prospect disappointments) in the past decade.

Nope

Reactions: HotDish

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014

In. The. World.

When Granlund was traded from this team I think a lot of people considered him the team's best overall player.

There were some usage/fit issues and injury issues but as soon as the team discovered this guy wasn't a center he was probably the most dynamic player that we had at the time.

The Granlund - Fiala trade was considered at the time a lopsided trade in favor of the other guys. I'm not saying he's lived up to being number 2 overall on the prospect rankings but what is that even relative to? It was prospects at the time, not prospects over the last decade.

Brodin probably lived up to that.

Charlie ended up being solid not elite, that wasn't something that was a total stunner.

I'm not saying this prospect pool can't disappoint but I'm feeling pretty good about the different types of prospects we have up and down the system. Good farm systems can bust, but a lot of times they also don't. I don't think that's a franchise specific issue.

That said that system didn't totally fail.

I'd say the biggest issue was allowing the system to go stale for years while trading big draft assets for first round exits. The group we have now extends over three GM's.

Every player you mentioned is still playing in the NHL besides Hackett and Bulmer.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

In. The. World.

I agree with everything except the bottom part about Granlund. He was ranked #1 or 2 on a whole bunch of lists of top prospects in the world, and, like Kaprizov, was talked about as being the best player not in the NHL, but I never expected 30 goals, and I consider what is basically a 70 point season as the team's scoring leader to not be disappointing. Some people are disappointed about that, but I think overall people are very mixed on that. That alone makes him NOT one of "biggest draft disappointments". The day he was drafted he was supposed to turn out to be a good player, and he turned out to be a good player. It was the D+1 and D+2 years that made people think he was the second coming of Sid Crosby. (Not joking, Crosby's name came up on this forum)

But yeah, you're spot on with the rest of that. Today's prospect pool is lower ranked by most sources than the pool in 2012 was. People seem to have forgotten that the Wild were believed by many to be the next great franchise once the prospects made it to the NHL. Brandon Mileski from KFAN was calling them the "Skateriots" ala the NFL's Patriots. I think that fell apart largely due to a couple of surprising busts (Hackett, Bulmer), a few others not quite reaching their ceiling (Granlund, Larsson and Coyle, and you could maybe count Nino) and some bad trades (tons of lost 2nd round picks which would have solidified the prospect pool, trading Leddy for Barker), and the huge age gap between our prime players and our young prospects (Koivu, Parise and Suter were exiting their primes just before the 2012 class would be entering their primes, meaning the two groups wouldn't fully thrive together). I think that last issue is going to be a non-issue with this current team, unless Guerin starts trading prospects for 27-28 year olds.

Nope to what? Much of what he said is simply fact. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here, but that 2012 prospect pool was consistently ranked in the top 5 by most experts, and often ranked #1 or 2.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I agree with everything except the bottom part about Granlund. He was ranked #1 or 2 on a whole bunch of lists of top prospects in the world, and, like Kaprizov, was talked about as being the best player not in the NHL, but I never expected 30 goals, and I consider what is basically a 70 point season as the team's scoring leader to not be disappointing. Some people are disappointed about that, but I think overall people are very mixed on that. That alone makes him NOT one of "biggest draft disappointments". The day he was drafted he was supposed to turn out to be a good player, and he turned out to be a good player. It was the D+1 and D+2 years that made people think he was the second coming of Sid Crosby. (Not joking, Crosby's name came up on this forum)

But yeah, you're spot on with the rest of that. Today's prospect pool is lower ranked by most sources than the pool in 2012 was. People seem to have forgotten that the Wild were believed by many to be the next great franchise once the prospects made it to the NHL. Brandon Mileski from KFAN was calling them the "Skateriots" ala the NFL's Patriots. I think that fell apart largely due to a couple of surprising busts (Hackett, Bulmer), a few others not quite reaching their ceiling (Granlund, Larsson and Coyle, and you could maybe count Nino) and some bad trades (tons of lost 2nd round picks which would have solidified the prospect pool, trading Leddy for Barker), and the huge age gap between our prime players and our young prospects (Koivu, Parise and Suter were exiting their primes just before the 2012 class would be entering their primes, meaning the two groups wouldn't fully thrive together). I think that last issue is going to be a non-issue with this current team, unless Guerin starts trading prospects for 27-28 year olds.

Nope to what? Much of what he said is simply fact. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here, but that 2012 prospect pool was consistently ranked in the top 5 by most experts, and often ranked #1 or 2.

He said nope to what he bolded.

"makes him one of the biggest draft disappointments (and prospect disappointments) in the past decade."

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad