• Matias Mantykivi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pavel Shen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Jake DeBrusk wasn't able to put up a 20 goal season in the AHL, but he scored 27 when the competition got harder.

I'm still a believer in Frederic. He's averaged 17 goals per 82 in his first two AHL seasons. He's big, strong, smart, he skates well, he's scored goals at lower levels and is legitimately tough. I'm hoping he can be a Boone Jenner, Sam Bennett, type of 3c for us.

Jake Debrusk put up 19 goals and 49 points at age 20 in the AHL for .66 points per game.

Trent Frederic has 27 goals and 65 points in 127 AHL games for a .51 points per game and is 22 turning 23 in 3 months.

Debrusk was a much better player at 20 than Frederic is at 22.

usually players who teeter around the .50 ppg mark in the AHL don’t pan out well in the NHL. Hell, cehlarik and agostino killed it in the AHL but can’t get it done in the NHL. Heinen was a .77 ppg player in the AHL and got based for inconsistent point production.

Do people really believe Frederic is going to put up similar numbers in the NHL as the AHL? I think he will be a 25-30 point guy with maybe a year or two in his prime in the 30-35 range.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Jake Debrusk put up 19 goals and 49 points at age 20 in the AHL for .66 points per game.

Trent Frederic has 27 goals and 65 points in 127 AHL games for a .51 points per game and is 22 turning 23 in 3 months.

usually players who teeter around the .50 ppg mark in the AHL don’t pan out well in the NHL. Hell, cehlarik and agostino killed it in the AHL but can’t get it done in the NHL. Heinen was a .77 ppg player in the AHL and got based for inconsistent point production.

Do people really believe Frederic is going to put up similar numbers in the NHL as the AHL? I think he will be a 25-30 point guy with maybe a year or two in his prime in the 30-35 range.
If he turns into a physical Chris Kelly, I'd be thrilled. His AHL numbers are similar enough.

Biggest thing with Frederic that I worry about are if his feet are quick enough for an NHL PKer.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I mean that's pretty much what Tom Wilson does on the top line in Washington, and he's the type of guy we'd all take in Boston

Reactions: PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mean that's pretty much what Tom Wilson does on the top line in Washington, and he's the type of guy we'd all take in Boston

Tom Wilson has 88 points in his last 131 games and has scored 20+ goals the last two years. Frederic hasn’t even come close to that in a top 6 role in the AHL

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If he turns into a physical Chris Kelly, I'd be thrilled. His AHL numbers are similar enough.

Biggest thing with Frederic that I worry about are if his feet are quick enough for an NHL PKer.

Ya Kelly was a .54 ppg player in the AHL and that’s pretty close to Federics .51 ppg. Kelly averaged 28 points per 82 games in his NHL career. That’d be pretty underwhelming for Frederic.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Tom Wilson has 88 points in his last 131 games and has scored 20+ goals the last two years. Frederic hasn’t even come close to that in a top 6 role in the AHL
Yeah, at 25 and 26 years old...at Frederics age he didn't crack 20. I'm just saying that 30 to 35 points and a physical game is a pretty solid player in my eyes. Especially because he wont be playing 1st line minutes like a guy like Wilson.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah, at 25 and 26 years old...at Frederics age he didn't crack 20. I'm just saying that 30 to 35 points and a physical game is a pretty solid player in my eyes.

Wilson wasn’t playing first line when until a few years ago. I don’t think Frederic will ever get that opportunity. At least not with the centers and LW we have currently and in the system

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Ever think Marchand would be a 100 pt guy after watching him in the AHL?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Yes, I think Frederic is going to put up similar numbers in the NHL as the AHL. I see him as a 30-40 point player eventually.

Nobody is arguing that he has more offensive upside than DeBrusk. I was saying that DeBrusk is proof that AHL goals don't determine what you do in the NHL.

That said, Frederic scored 14 goals in 55 AHL games at age 20. He's scored at an 18 per 82 pace over his 127 games in Providence. He scored 27 goals in 56 games across the NCAA, WJC and AHL the year before. He had an off year last year but he also had an abnormally low shooting percent.

I like him. I think he's got more offense than people think, and I think he's going to give them something they sorely lack.

BruinsNetwork

Yes, I think Frederic is going to put up similar numbers in the NHL as the AHL. I see him as a 30-40 point player eventually.

Nobody is arguing that he has more offensive upside than DeBrusk. I was saying that DeBrusk is proof that AHL goals don't determine what you do in the NHL.

That said, Frederic scored 14 goals in 55 AHL games at age 20. He's scored at an 18 per 82 pace over his 127 games in Providence. He scored 27 goals in 56 games across the NCAA, WJC and AHL the year before. He had an off year last year but he also had an abnormally low shooting percent.

I like him. I think he's got more offense than people think, and I think he's going to give them something they sorely lack.

Frederic should have had more goals than he did last year, but shooting luck clearly wasn’t on his side. He led the AHL is posts hit and most of his shots missed by an inch or two, it wasn’t like he was sailing them wide. He’s a strong, athletic guy with size— with that comes a sick wrister that beats goalies clean.

Frederic also led the AHL in PIMs last season while still remaining .50PPG. That’s a lot of TOI missed.

And I don’t think you have to be a bonafide top-six forward or scorer to make an impact or be a valuable prospect. I think having a potential third-line, physically dominate center on your team that opposing players want nothing to do with is also valuable.

That said, you have to be able to skate, pass, shoot and score as well. Frederic does that. Some nights against the toughest guys in the AHL and some nights against the most skilled guys in the AHL.

He’s a really unique prospect and he’s got a lot of skill. He’s not some fourth-line plug who’s only made it here because he fights. He’s a damn solid hockey player too, against D1 NCAA top-six players and now against AHL top-six forwards.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
None of their guys have high ceiling - but they could use a dependable washing machine or dryer.

Frederic can absolutely put up 15 goals and be a hard hitting dependable PK who can fight

I want at least a couple of these guys

every draft if I was in charge of my picks 3-5 would be hard nosed players who can drop them

you go 1 for 6 over two drafts and grab a Rick Tocchet or a Bob Probert you are way ahead of the game

Bruins need to combine skill with guys with that dont f with us and Frederic can be a nice cog in a handful of these types

I’d be surprised if he could score 15 goals in the nhl. I only saw him play a few times but he did seem a bit behind. Who knows. Maybe he has grown. Hard for me to say. But to think he can play a full time nhl role and pot 15 goals a year seems like a stretch. Maybe a really gritty fourth line guy. That’s his ceiling id say. I think you are searching for a style of hockey that doesn’t really exist in winning teams.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Frederic should have had more goals than he did last year, but shooting luck clearly wasn’t on his side. He led the AHL is posts hit and most of his shots missed by an inch or two, it wasn’t like he was sailing them wide. He’s a strong, athletic guy with size— with that comes a sick wrister that beats goalies clean.

Frederic also led the AHL in PIMs last season while still remaining .50PPG. That’s a lot of TOI missed.

And I don’t think you have to be a bonafide top-six forward or scorer to make an impact or be a valuable prospect. I think having a potential third-line, physically dominate center on your team that opposing players want nothing to do with is also valuable.

That said, you have to be able to skate, pass, shoot and score as well. Frederic does that. Some nights against the toughest guys in the AHL and some nights against the most skilled guys in the AHL.

He’s a really unique prospect and he’s got a lot of skill. He’s not some fourth-line plug who’s only made it here because he fights. He’s a damn solid hockey player too, against D1 NCAA top-six players and now against AHL top-six forwards.

The bolded is dead-on. There isn't another prospect in our system that is a combination like Frederic is. He has size, skill and nasty. He's everything people scream for when they talk about Josh Anderson or Tom Wilson. Am I saying he'll be either of those guys? no....but those guys aren't exactly world beaters either, in fact they are both 35-40pt wingers.

Its funny but as I read the second bolded sentence there was a name that immediately popped into mind...Charlie Coyle. Interestingly enough he was selected 28OA in his draft (Frederic 29th). For Coyle's career he (like Anderson/Wilson) is a 40pt player. Now the question is, what kind of production can Frederic give you. I don't think its crazy for him to put up 10-25 and flirt with possibly a 40pt season if he played in a 3rd line role. He and Coyle actually would be miserable to play against shift after shift.

The more I think about it, a line of Frederic-Coyle-Studnicka could be for a very interesting trio.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’d be surprised if he could score 15 goals in the nhl. I only saw him play a few times but he did seem a bit behind. Who knows. Maybe he has grown. Hard for me to say. But to think he can play a full time nhl role and pot 15 goals a year seems like a stretch. Maybe a really gritty fourth line guy. That’s his ceiling id say. I think you are searching for a style of hockey that doesn’t really exist in winning teams.
I’m on the Frederic 15 train

hopefully we will find out

I’m looking for balance

I want a handful of players who can play hockey but bring the physical play easily when they have to

I understand these guys play 82 games reason to be exceptionally wealthy and friends with many opponents

that did not stop the Bluejackets game 1 and 2 against the Bruins from knocking the snot out of the Bruins to the point I was sitting watching thinking ‘they aren’t going to survive this’

now McAvoy ended up knocking Anderson out with a borderline penalty retaliatory hit (which I 100% endorsed) and Chara went after Riley Nash and knocked him out for targeting Krejci the game before when he went after Krejci with the same hit Mike Richards knocked Krejci out of the 2010 playoffs game 4 with Boston up 3 games to none,

We all know how that turned out.

Drafting Frederic, Studnicka, Lauzon, and hopefully Beecher work.

I get Oreilly and Gillies types are gone and certainly Probert, Kocur, and Jonathan.

Nick & Marcus Foligno, Anderson, Jenner aren’t

Lucic was ideal but he got stuck between a rock and a hard place stylistically and between contract and whatever has slipped

but guys like Sam Bennett is a solid bottom 6 player

my objective

any physically skilled player I have on my top 6 like a Dubois Is significant

but no reason you can’t load up forwards 6-12 with Coyle, Frederic, Studnicka, Smith, Beecher

big guys who when the playoffs come won’t let Oskar bleepin Sundqvist run around like the 4th Hanson Brother

Pastrnak Krejci Bergeron Marchand Grzelcyk McAvoy even Debrusk if he takes another step are what I want but they need more bigger tougher guys 6-12

Like the Pittsburgh Steelers knowing how to identify LB & WR in rounds 2-7 the Bruins need to look for these types in rounds 3-5

I would follow specific North American kids in Canadian junior that can play this combo game especially at W

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
We need to get more like 08-13. We need a Thornton, Mquaid, Lucic because this current team gets pushed around way too much. My solution, you all eagerly ask? Sign Matt Martin and bring up Frederick as a full time player. Start him on the fourth line and if he moves up a line, great. Make a deal for Weegar and bring Chara back as an on-ice coach. Bennett is another guy I would target involving the incredibly soft Debrusk.

Teams are winning every year with teams much tougher than ours. The only problem is Sweeney loves to bring in soft players and Cassidy is way too willing to use them. (Burke for GM and Torts as coach would be great)

Reactions: DKH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
We need to get more like 08-13. We need a Thornton, Mquaid, Lucic because this current team gets pushed around way too much. My solution, you all eagerly ask? Sign Matt Martin and bring up Frederick as a full time player. Start him on the fourth line and if he moves up a line, great. Make a deal for Weegar and bring Chara back as an on-ice coach. Bennett is another guy I would target involving the incredibly soft Debrusk.

Teams are winning every year with teams much tougher than ours. The only problem is Sweeney loves to bring in soft players and Cassidy is way too willing to use them. (Burke for GM and Torts as coach would be great)

Vintage Lucic is just such a unicorn type player and from 2008 through the 2013-2014 season his per game rate put him at the following during that time span:

23G / 32A / 55Pts / 230 Hits

I'd be curious if there are any guys right now that are around 50pts and 200 hits over the last 3 years.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Vintage Lucic is just such a unicorn type player and from 2008 through the 2013-2014 season his per game rate put him at the following during that time span:

23G / 32A / 55Pts / 230 Hits

I'd be curious if there are any guys right now that are around 50pts and 200 hits over the last 3 years.
upload_2020-11-5_11-0-30.png

Not even the last 6 seasons.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Mike Hoffman scored 7 goals, 25 points in 74 games in his 21 y.o. season in the AHL .33 PPG

Then scored 21 goals, 49 points in 76 games in his 22 y.o. season in the AHL - .64 PPG

____

Trent Frederic scored 14 goals, 25 points in 55 games in his 20 y.o. season in the AHL. .45 PPG

Then scored 8 goals, 32 points in 59 games in his 21 y.o. season in the AHL. .54 PPG

____

Numbers, numbers, numbers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Mike Hoffman scored 7 goals, 25 points in 74 games in his 21 y.o. season in the AHL .33 PPG

Then scored 21 goals, 49 points in 76 games in his 22 y.o. season in the AHL - .64 PPG

____

Trent Frederic scored 14 goals, 25 points in 55 games in his 20 y.o. season in the AHL. .45 PPG

Then scored 8 goals, 32 points in 59 games in his 21 y.o. season in the AHL. .54 PPG

____

Numbers, numbers, numbers

I would love to see Frederic have the point production Hoffman has, especially to go with frederics toughness. Hell I would even take him at 60% of Hoffman’s production. I just don’t see it.

Right now it seems Studnicka is the best prospect. Coyle is tied up for the foreseeable future and with Bergy having two years left and possibly signing back where does Frederic fit in?. There’s a relative logjam in the top 3 center positions for the next roughly 2-4 years. His best case scenario is carving out a role as a 3rd line winger behind Marchand and Debrusk or as a 4th line center.

Maybe he beats out Beecher for a center spot, but even then who knows when Bergy will retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad