Prospect Info: [2020 - 109th] Blake Biondi (NCAA - Transfers to Notre Dame)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks, no need to dig in haha but those picks look like pretty good darts! If they had problem dominating USHS I'd be more worried

part of the problem is how you want to look at it. Think of it this way, so most US kids they will play in the USHS at some point since the age group is around 14 or even 13 if they enter HS that early, but the top prospects will at some point either go to the USHL at 16 or older, and the top group will end up in the USNDTP.

So do you count those early years or are you just looking for guys that stayed in the USHS. Here's some Hab examples,

So Caufield played in Wisconsin USHS at 14/15/16, then went to the USNDTP.

Pacioretty played in the USHS in the Northeastern Prep league, same as guys like Higgins, Bennett, Harris, Struble, before ending up in the USHL at 18 due to being a late B-date.

McDonagh played in the Minnesota USHS, same as Fischer and Poehling and Pitlick among several other Hab picks.

Reactions: Acadien86

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Between 2000-2019, the Habs have selected 13 players out of the USHS. Players who previously played in those leagues but not in their draft year don't count.

Only two played in the NHL, Ryan McDonagh and JT Wyman (44 games).

At least Biondi seems like a decent one compared to Smith.

Reactions: abo9 and Et le But

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
part of the problem is how you want to look at it. Think of it this way, so most US kids they will play in the USHS at some point since the age group is around 14 or even 13 if they enter HS that early, but the top prospects will at some point either go to the USHL at 16 or older, and the top group will end up in the USNDTP.

So do you count those early years or are you just looking for guys that stayed in the USHS. Here's some Hab examples,

So Caufield played in Wisconsin USHS at 14/15/16, then went to the USNDTP.

Pacioretty played in the USHS in the Northeastern Prep league, same as guys like Higgins, Bennett, Harris, Struble, before ending up in the USHL at 18 due to being a late B-date.

McDonagh played in the Minnesota USHS, same as Fischer and Poehling and Pitlick among several other Hab picks.

I'm thinking those who played high school at the time of the draft. McDonagh is a great example. Looks like Patch played USHL in his draft year (06-07), so he would not count. I guess like you said the top prospects usually end up going the USHL or USNDTP route after 16, so it's a little rarer to see top prospects drafted from high school right?

TBH I don't know the US development system that much, but seems like the top prospects very rarely comes from high school. As a Canadian, high school hockey would be an unusual path for extremely gifted players, but I know the US have a stronger relationship between schools and sports, so the level must be much better.

But it's just a meme at this point, Timmins reaching for relatively unknown players (to the casual fan) that don't even tear their league. At least with a guy like Biondi, he's teared his league and going NCAA next year.So something must be going right for him!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm thinking those who played high school at the time of the draft. McDonagh is a great example. Looks like Patch played USHL in his draft year (06-07), so he would not count. I guess like you said the top prospects usually end up going the USHL or USNDTP route after 16, so it's a little rarer to see top prospects drafted from high school right?

TBH I don't know the US development system that much, but seems like the top prospects very rarely comes from high school. As a Canadian, high school hockey would be an unusual path for extremely gifted players, but I know the US have a stronger relationship between schools and sports, so the level must be much better.

But it's just a meme at this point, Timmins reaching for relatively unknown players (to the casual fan) that don't even tear their league. At least with a guy like Biondi, he's teared his league and going NCAA next year.So something must be going right for him!

I know the US system somewhat since I played in it a long time ago but also used to watch Minnesota USHS games on directv when I had it. I know the NCAA well since after the AHL it's the league I watch/follow the most. The good thing is these kids are going to top notch programs outside of Farrell as the Ivy league while it usually has at least one or two really good teams is just not at the same level as the big 3 conferences of the NCHC, Hockey East and Big 10. Plus they play less games then the rest of the NCAA.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I love that the Habs keep making these USHS picks. I can't wait until one of the fliers hits big time.

In terms of Habs USHS success I think McDonagh is the big one but he gets forgotten because Gainey traded him away.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I love that the Habs keep making these USHS picks. I can't wait until one of the fliers hits big time.

In terms of Habs USHS success I think McDonagh is the big one but he gets forgotten because Gainey traded him away.

It's really hard to forget McDonagh, especially because he was traded

Reactions: abo9

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It's really hard to forget McDonagh
What a blunder by Gainey. Too bad. I liked Gainey but his asset management was poor. I think the old owner had a lot to do with it because he was just trying to make a quick buck. Plus that horrible accident with his daughter. Oh well. McDonagh would have been a great Hab!

Reactions: tnq

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is one of the picks you want to make in the 4th and beyond. He has some really good skills, his puck skills and shot.. and he plays the game in an intriguing fashion, you need to give him time to see if he can round out the flaws.

Like this pick.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Timmins-PressConference(20/10/07):Biondi
“Blake Biondi was on the US [Hlinka-Gretzky Cup] team.”
“He's hard to play against, physical, and we liked that.”
“He plays center and he can also play the wing. In Blake Biondi, we got a right-shot center who can also play right wing.”
“He's a real smart, strong shooter. He can overpower goaltenders with his shot.”

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
just started watching him but don't see it, he looks like a bull on skates, more of a power game then McShane. Can't wait to see him at UMD next month or so.

really? that's exciting. I was just going off that one report that talks about how great his skill is but the skating's a mess. If the skating is not McShane bad and plays with more intensity then that's pretty interesting.

I was a little meh on the draft but I have to say all our later round picks beside the goalie (though I don't know much) actually seem to have intriguing upside. It's really just the Tuch pick (I'm pretty high on Guhle) that seems to have 'limited upside' but even he could fill a need.

I think even if Guhle and Mysak hit we could be in pretty damn good shape going forward. That is if Caufield can hit as big as I hope. Bit of a side note, are some cooling on Caufield? I know there was a few things people didn't like but he did have a pretty great freshman stat wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad