Prospect Info: [2020 - 109th] Blake Biondi (NCAA - Transfers to Notre Dame)

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
8 points in 10 games... that's good stats.

What you think about his potential guys and comparison with a NHL player??

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I still can't believe he's leading his team in goals and tied for the team lead in points. 3rd liner and 2nd PP unit, how many times have you seen that.
I must say i like the grit and power in his game, if only he can fix some of his skating mechanics, i really find he needs some guidance and structure in his skating, he's not even bad, as in not slow but (it's painfull to watch though) he seems to waste a lot of energy the way he skates, if he can learn to skate without looking like he's wearing cement boots... Good shot, good iq, nice hands and vision, seems to battle and work hard

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I must say i like the grit and power in his game, if only he can fix some of his skating mechanics, i really find he needs some guidance and structure in his skating, he's not even bad, as in not slow but (it's painfull to watch though) he seems to waste a lot of energy the way he skates, if he can learn to skate without looking like he's wearing cement boots... Good shot, good iq, nice hands and vision, seems to battle and work hard

I have been impressed for sure outside of that ugly skating, if he can fix it, there's a legit prospect there. That shot is heavy but he can snipe it. The thing I always talk about with prospects is progress from year to year, if he keeps progressing then that's going to be very interesting.

Reactions: Gyfu

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was wondering why a vid from 12-11-21 started getting a bunch of views today. But I don't know if I like the quote he has about his skating, as you want players that are willing to listen to improving things but that said we'll see how it goes for him as he does fine in the NCAA as he's clearly having a great season.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was wondering why a vid from 12-11-21 started getting a bunch of views today. But I don't know if I like the quote he has about his skating, as you want players that are willing to listen to improving things but that said we'll see how it goes for him as he does fine in the NCAA as he's clearly having a great season.

The quote where he is defending his skating is alarming. I have seen this before from kids who won't acknowledge their skating deficiencies and it is often a flag for other issues. He needs to seriously look at finding a trainer who will be able to entirely transform his technique and rebuild from the ground up. For him to say that he will be able to use his speed like Josh Anderson once he adds some leg strength is beyond delusional and points to a juvenile understanding of the game at the NHL level. His explanation for staying in H.S. hockey to play with friends and win Mr. Hockey also points to potential maturity issues and a concerning trend of living in his own echo chamber. Of course you should never lose sight of the fact that these are kids and they mature at different paces and while they may raise some flags there is always reason to believe that they can get out of their own head once surrounded by proper mentors/teachers and more mature friend groups.

There is alot to like about his game other than the skating but the skating is atrocious for a player with NHL aspirations. Hopefully someone can get through to this kid or he gets really lucky and somehow naturally evolves. Either way I am glad we drafted him as there is real upside if he can improve his skating.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The quote where he is defending his skating is alarming. I have seen this before from kids who won't acknowledge their skating deficiencies and it is often a flag for other issues. He needs to seriously look at finding a trainer who will be able to entirely transform his technique and rebuild from the ground up. For him to say that he will be able to use his speed like Josh Anderson once he adds some leg strength is beyond delusional and points to a juvenile understanding of the game at the NHL level. His explanation for staying in H.S. hockey to play with friends and win Mr. Hockey also points to potential maturity issues and a concerning trend of living in his own echo chamber. Of course you should never lose sight of the fact that these are kids and they mature at different paces and while they may raise some flags there is always reason to believe that they can get out of their own head once surrounded by proper mentors/teachers and more mature friend groups.

There is alot to like about his game other than the skating but the skating is atrocious for a player with NHL aspirations. Hopefully someone can get through to this kid or he gets really lucky and somehow naturally evolves. Either way I am glad we drafted him as there is real upside if he can improve his skating.
He would have 0 hope under MB. I believe the new development team will get him on tje right track

Reactions: Sagikev

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He would have 0 hope under MB. I believe the new development team will get him on tje right track

We'll see as Biondi will be a big test for them. It's one thing to get a player like Caufield going, as it's not like his shot just went away but with Biondi you have a possible power forward that has a really heavy shot and he can pick the corners with it. He's got legit offensive skill for sure, he works out always moving his feet and he will go to the net though he's not really a physical player he does use his size well. Will be very interesting to see what they do can, I guess the first step is getting back to having a development camp this summer hopefully since they haven't the last few summers due to stupid covid.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
As we know, Biondi is back at UMD and will wear the same #7. Jack Smith will also be on the team and will wear #12:

Hopefully he gets top 6 minutes consistently now, preferably top line + top pp unit, but I don't know much of their depth to know certaintly where he's slotted

Reactions: bopeep

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully he gets top 6 minutes consistently now, preferably top line + top pp unit, but I don't know much of their depth to know certaintly where he's slotted

UMD lost 2 of their top 3 scorers (Biondi 2nd on the team in pts) and 4 of their top 6 point producers. They should have a good incoming Freshman class in Howard, Spicer, etc.. Will be very interesting to see if Biondi who should certainly be in the top 6 and on the PP, hopefully the 1st unit, if he can show good progress after his breakout season as one of the top scoring U-20 skaters in the NCAA. And of course how does Jack Smith look after missing all of last year and having to deal with several injuries since his draft year. I would have rather seen him repeat in the USHL but even if he doesn't play a lot at UMD, he's at a top program with one of the top coaches in the NCAA imo.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
UMD lost 2 of their top 3 scorers (Biondi 2nd on the team in pts) and 4 of their top 6 point producers. They should have a good incoming Freshman class in Howard, Spicer, etc.. Will be very interesting to see if Biondi who should certainly be in the top 6 and on the PP, hopefully the 1st unit, if he can show good progress after his breakout season as one of the top scoring U-20 skaters in the NCAA. And of course how does Jack Smith look after missing all of last year and having to deal with several injuries since his draft year. I would have rather seen him repeat in the USHL but even if he doesn't play a lot at UMD, he's at a top program with one of the top coaches in the NCAA imo.

From what I remember seeing in the lineups you'd post, Biondi played on both wings. Is he primarily a RW? He and Howard could be a solid duo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From what I remember seeing in the lineups you'd post, Biondi played on both wings. Is he primarily a RW? He and Howard could be a solid duo

He can play all 3 forward positions. He started out as a center on the 4th line (was a center in the USHS) but I assume his skating issues had them move him to wing. Yes he mostly plays RW last year, the year before it was LW after moving from center. The Olson James Biondi line was often one of their best so I would be surprised if they broke it up, although with a number of new bodies in the lineup we'll see what they opt to do.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad