2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge ( Nov 4 - Nov 11 )

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Camp roster: (Canada - 112 players) | July 19 - July 26

G:

3-7-2019 16-08-54.jpg

D:

3-7-2019 16-11-57.jpg

3-7-2019 16-13-12.jpg

F:

3-7-2019 16-14-42.jpg

3-7-2019 16-16-02.jpg

3-7-2019 16-16-49.jpg

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I believe our 1st. look at young phenoms Wright and Savoie on the same team...same line perhaps. I don't usually waste time on the U17 tournament, but I'll tune in if I get the chance to see that.

unlikely HC will put them on the same team...

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not the strongest American group I've seen at the U17 level. Always interesting to see how these guys develop. A lot of Canadian bloodlines so they should have some grit and get up and go lol.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not the strongest American group I've seen at the U17 level. Always interesting to see how these guys develop. A lot of Canadian bloodlines so they should have some grit and get up and go lol.

I think it's a bit early to comment on the strength of an U17 team that hasn't even played a game together. This '03 class has pretty good hype to it. Obviously hype doesn't always translate but there's a lot of excitement behind this group. We'll see if it pans out.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I think it's a bit early to comment on the strength of an U17 team that hasn't even played a game together. This '03 class has pretty good hype to it. Obviously hype doesn't always translate but there's a lot of excitement behind this group. We'll see if it pans out.
I remember the '00s being hyped up a lot after the Youth Olympics gold medal win and they have been a massive disappointment so far. You really have to be careful with hype now a days. Cant wait to see how the '03s pan out tho.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I remember the '00s being hyped up a lot after the Youth Olympics gold medal win and they have been a massive disappointment so far. You really have to be careful with hype now a days. Cant wait to see how the '03s pan out tho.

Yep, it goes both ways. Everyone expected the '00s to be awesome and it was the '01s that ended up being that group. So many guys come into the program unheralded (i.e. Matthews, Caufield, Boldy, etc.) and end up dominant or come in heralded and don't pan out (i.e. Moffatt, N. Pastujov, M. Pastujov, etc.) that it's hard to know how good a class will be this early when you're talking about 15 year old players, especially as you point out the breadth and depth of the hype these guys get now given the internet.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think USA's 03 looks to be as good as 02.

It has more depth what 02, it might not have a star goalie, nor a absolute super star forward,
but i think that D looks way better (overall) and that F looks really talented as well.

Sure the 03 class compared to 02 class is small, but...that's where things are going, smaller,faster and more skilled.

You can easily pick/predict several 1st rounders from that 03 class.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Bah, it’s ok. Ever year the USA is hyped to the top. They’ve had some good years these past 5 years or so. It’s expected especially with the hype from tsn

It’s been like this the past 15 years

Canadian teams are adapting and producing players , don’t need let a team that plays together year round pull the wool over your eyes

The teams that are now catching up to the USA are Finland and Sweden. They are producing excellent players but not yet at the numbers the USA is.

Don’t let the tsn hype fool you.

Of course they are good , but if they were great they’d win gold at every tournament, only u18 is their strongest. Team plays together all year lol. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Bah, it’s ok. Ever year the USA is hyped to the top. They’ve had some good years these past 5 years or so. It’s expected especially with the hype from tsn

It’s been like this the past 15 years

Canadian teams are adapting and producing players , don’t need let a team that plays together year round pull the wool over your eyes

The teams that are now catching up to the USA are Finland and Sweden. They are producing excellent players but not yet at the numbers the USA is.

Don’t let the tsn hype fool you.

Of course they are good , but if they were great they’d win gold at every tournament, only u18 is their strongest. Team plays together all year lol. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
Everyones gotta be concerned about Sweden and Finland, not just the U.S.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Everyones gotta be concerned about Sweden and Finland, not just the U.S.
I'm not sure how competitive the Finns will be at this tournament. I've watched most of their U16 international games from last year, and they don't seem very talented beyond the top three of Brad Lambert, Samu Tuomaala, and Samu Salminen. Lambert and Tuomaala were recently named to the U18 camp roster and given the generally poor quality of the Finnish 02's(plus the fact that at least three of the forwards from last year's U17 team will be playing in North America, and thus probably not available for the fall U18 tournaments), they could very well be playing in Sweden at the U18 Five Nations, which happens at the same time as the World Under 17's.

Of course the Finnish 02's got to the final last year with a talent-poor team, so weirder things have happened.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure how competitive the Finns will be at this tournament. I've watched most of their U16 international games from last year, and they don't seem very talented beyond the top three of Brad Lambert, Samu Tuomaala, and Samu Salminen. Lambert and Tuomaala were recently named to the U18 camp roster and given the generally poor quality of the Finnish 02's(plus the fact that at least three of the forwards from last year's U17 team will be playing in North America, and thus probably not available for the fall U18 tournaments), they could very well be playing in Sweden at the U18 Five Nations, which happens at the same time as the World Under 17's.

Of course the Finnish 02's got to the final last year with a talent-poor team, so weirder things have happened.
Point taken.

I was really talking about overall in all tournaments however, which I thought the poster I was replying to was talking about also, I should have made myself more clear on that, sorry.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Did you say one of the best Finnish prospects is named 'Brad'?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad