Speculation: 2019 UFA targets

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The odds of all three of those happening are real low though. Hughes we actually know the odds will be less than 20%. I'd rather be patient and continue stocking prospects. When our homegrown talent brings us to the middle of the pack we can start looking at free agents. We've already got a few good pieces, Larkin as a two way center, Zadina maybe as a top line scorer, Cholowski as a 2nd pair puck mover, and I think Hronek may be a little more than the second pair offensive defenseman we've pegged him as (he's got some pretty good underlying numbers and hasn't been sheltered whatsoever). Would you rather add shall we say two top 5 and two top 15 prospects over 4 years or one Braden Point who plays the same role as Larkin? We need a playmaking center, another high end scoring winger, and a surefire top pair defenseman, and I don't want to give up four very good shots at getting those for another two way center (A damn good one, but another one).

I think it's just one of those situations where the team should have a contingency in place should the Wings get the 1st overall pick. I know it's quite unlikely, but all 3 pieces fit into our team and would be contributes in our next window to compete. I really would like to see us being somewhat aggressive and try to address our defence via Gardiner. He'll only be 29 next season and if we were to give him a 5-6 year deal he should still be a 2nd pairing guy during the end of the contract.

As for the 2nd point of discussion I think that's a tough one for me. I've always been arguing a deal in which we give up 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, I wouldn't create an offer sheet in which we move 4 1sts. I believe the maximuim deals we could offer and keep it in that range of compensation would be a 5 year deal worth 50.17M, AAV of 10.14M, or a 6 year deal at 50.17M, AAV of 8.45M. Point has worked his way into the upper echelon of 1Cs and I have a hard time seeing the 2 1sts we would give up for him being able to provide more value.

Realistically, an offer sheet to Point is 1-2 years too early. We still have too many unknowns: we don't have an established top 4 dman under the age of 25, Hronek/McIassic/Cholo need to prove that they're capable of those minutes; we have just 2 proven top 6 forwards in Mantha and Larkin, AA and maybe Bertuzzi are looking like middle 6ers; our current #1G is 34 with no heir apparent; and we have 3 anchor level contracts too. It is very much wishful thinking on my part to think we would or even should offer sheet Point at this time. In reality it's a reckless and a damaging move for the rebuild if we were to sign him and not address the other issues on the team. It is really just a devils advocate argument in the event that we have everything go in our favor.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The situation with Point with draw it's head more when Red Wings really know where they are selecting in this years draft. 1st or 2nd pick.

Like someone mentioned above. I think the idea is a non-starter if you don't land a top 2 pick this year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Defencemen targets:
-----------------
- Erik Karlsson
- Jake Gardiner
- Oliwer Kaski, 6'3 right defenceman (named best player in Finnish Liiga, 2013 draft class, 23-year-old)

Forward targets:
-----------------
- Artemi Panarin
- Matt Duchene
- Kevin Hayes
- Gustav Nyquist
- Anders Lee
- Brock Nelson
- Nikita Gusev (best scorer in KHL, Vegas own his rights, but trade for his rights)

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The Position we are in we shouldn’t be signing anyone but I can see ken Holland being stupid again cause we have cap room and overpaying someone like brock Nelson for 5 years and screwing us some more cause that’s what he does best

Maybe a kaski whos young and a dman and hope he can be a player for us otherwise stay far away from signing guys longterm. Maybe someone not named vanek to a one year deal with zero ntc that we can flip at the deadline that’s it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad