Proposal: 2019 trade deadline: Buyers or sellers market?

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Who do you think has the edge at the deadline this year?

Will teams looking to gain depth for a cup run be paying less to teams who are looking to next season already?

Or are teams at the bottom getting more than they normally would for their rental assets?

This question addresses the parity in the league this season and what we think it means going into to deadline.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
East is very tight behind TB, while only LA, CHI are out of it the west. Probably wont be a ton of teams selling. That is hard to justify as a front office when the playoffs are still possible.

Reactions: Kupo

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
East is very tight behind TB, while only LA, CHI are out of it the west. Probably wont be a ton of teams selling. That is hard to justify as a front office when the playoffs are still possible.

Armstrong has a track record of selling from the bubble, and the Wild seems to be making puzzling decisions at the moment anyway.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Will teams looking to gain depth for a cup run be paying less to teams who are looking to next season already?

Or are teams at the bottom getting more than they normally would for their rental assets?

This question addresses the parity in the league this season and what we think it means going into to deadline.

too early to tell. Teams are still sizing each other up and until we get a move of a top 6 player--we wont know if it is a buyers or sellers market

right now we have had only minor trades

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At this stage, Habs would be a buy low buyer. Maybe looking for a 4C. If a longterm hockey trade for a LHD is available, then i am sure they would have interest.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'm going to suspect a seller's market, with the wild cards being close and only a few teams a few games ahead in their respective divisions. There's Chi/La out, Ott and NYI really need to decide if they're keeping they're ufas, but looks like a seller's market

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’d say sellers at the moment. West is absurdly tight with five virtual lock teams making the playoffs and then six teams battling for three spots. Even Arizona and St Louis aren’t going away quietly.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think there aren’t that many teams in a rental or buyers position.

You have cusp teams like Colorado and Buffalo who likely won’t move a first.

Tby, Pitt, Wash, Win, Nashville, Tor, and Bos, might Be buyers.

You got older teams like LA, Chi, STL, likely competing as sellers.

Team like Anh and Philly looking to retool and likely sell some pieces.

Teams out of the playoffs will look to move ufas.

I think it will be a buyers market personally at forward.

Defense is likely more on the sellers side based on who’s buying and what is available.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
gonna be a very good sellers market for teams with decent top 6 scoring or RHD to sell

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Leafs probably get a vetern for a 2nd 2019 he will not show up in playoffs and be rental. Sounds familiar?

Reactions: SML2

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I expect alot of teams standing pat, then one team to come in last minute with a monster move the way Yzerman did in the McDonagh deal last year.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It depends on the position. The market is flooded with wingers, shorter on centers and defensemen, and dead on goalies. I see you being able to get more back for a center or dman than you would for a supposedly better player who is a winger.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Normally its a sellers market, but I'm honestly not sure how much substance the sellers will have to sell this year. Especially rentals. Most of the bigger name rentals are on PO/bubble teams right now.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Buyer's market up front. The bulk of the supply comes from teams 9+ points out in the East; that includes Ottawa (Duchene/Stone/Dzingel), New York (Hayes/Zuccarello), Detroit (Nyquist), Philadelphia (Simmonds), Carolina (Ferland) and New Jersey (Johansson/Boyle.)

Seller's market on the blueline. I'm halfway tempted to label this neither because of how bad the supply is. Edler is the class of the rental group and he may not be available, even if Vancouver were to lose pace with the WC pack.

Not sure about goaltending. Is there a buyer in real need of an upgrade and how badly do they need it? I can see Howard returning either a lot or a little depending on the circumstance.

Reactions: jw2

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I can only see Howard bringing back a lot if the stars aligned just right and two serious contenders had catastrophic injury two their starters at basically the same time. Otherwise I don't see it making much sense.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Total buyer’s market this year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
wanted to believe its a seller's market,
but now it seems too many teams selling.

so unless a buying spiral occurs,
where each trade spurs a competitor to also trade,
this could indeed favor the buyers,
with lower 'prices' since high 'supply' gives buyers more choices and less pressure to overpay

BUT there are a handful of bubble teams in both conferences, their management could decide to push for the playoffs, and drive demand up ...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Market is also determined by UFA situation - a ton of decent to excellent pending UFAs, and many on struggling teams. That suggests a buyers' market for rental forwards.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Who would the buyers be and what would they want?

West
Winnipeg - either another C like Statsny last season (Unless Little is playing like a 2C for them) or a LHD behind Morrisey would be ideal for them.
Nashville - more depth scoring mid 6 forward
Calgary - more depth scoring mid 6 forward
SJ - I'd imagine depth. Not sure they add anything major to their top 4D or top 6F. But, this would be the year to push all in since they have EK
Vegas - not sure if McPhee is willing to make a big move like that Tatar deal last season.

East
TB - I'd say gritty middle 6F or a depth D.
Pit - middle of the lineup depth
Was - Another middle 6F, and depth D.
Tor - TOP 4 RHD and/or Gritty middle 6F
Cbs - I can't see them making big moves given that Panarin is a UFA and they could double their talent loss if they push for a big splash.
Bos - More scoring depth behind the big line. Maybe another Depth D
Mon - Not sure how much of a push they make.
NYI - They are playing with house money. They have a couple of UFAs so, not sure if they plan on moving them out.
Buf - could move pieces to add middle 6 scoring or 2nd pair D.

Honestly, any of the East, if they can avoid TB in rounds 1 & 2 since the separation between #2 to #8 in that Conference is just 2 points, you could be #1 in the Metro of WC2, and same in the Atlantic, you could be #2/3/WC1 or down to WC2. Avoid TB gives you as good a shot as any of those other 5 teams that avoid TB to get to the Eastern Conference finals.

Clear sellers are NJ/Phi/LA/Chi/Ott/Det.
Likely to also sell are FLA/NYR/Car
Any of Van/StL/AZ/Edm/Min/Dal/Ana could sell if they go on a major losing streak between the ASG to mid Feb.
Van has Edler who is UFA, that's their most pressing chip.
STL has JBo who they could retain on to maximize his value.
Ana has Silverfberg who they want to get something for or extend him.
Dal has Spezza and Methot as their UFA
Min has E. Staal as their UFA
Edm has both goalies/Chaisson/Petrovic as their UFA.
AZ has Panik and Osterley as their best UFA.

Which teams outside of TB feel that they can make a push? Wash/Pit should given the ages of Ovy/Malkin/Sid/Backstrom in their early 30's. Nearing the end of their best years. Boston as well with Chara/Bergeron. Montreal has been inconsistent year to year in the regular season lately, so if they have a chance and you are not trading a future #1 draft pick, you can make a move. Toronto, needs a bigger move to upgrade their team for the playoff run.
West, it's wide open between the top 5 teams. Can't really say any of them would be a massive underdog in a series with one another. Any team chasing the 3 spot in the Central and the WC in the west would be underdogs in a playoff series.

Reactions: Vino and LAKings88

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The oilers should be sellers, but in typical Chiarelli fashion he is big game hunting in-season.

Sell:

Chiasson-2nd round or good young prospect.
Talbot-3rd-5th round pick
Spooner+3rd for an expiring piece of crap at a similar value

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I can only see Howard bringing back a lot if the stars aligned just right and two serious contenders had catastrophic injury two their starters at basically the same time. Otherwise I don't see it making much sense.

If Holland was smart he'd try to get the most he can for Howard and then resign him as a UFA next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad