Prospect Info: 2019 top prospects #8

Best prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
What is impressive to me is that not only do the top seven prospects have NHL potential, but the next seven do as well. Not all of them will make it, at least with the Ducks, but even though these next seven are more likely to have bottom six or third pairing potential than the top six, having 14 prospects with NHL potential is pretty impressive to me.

Reactions: DigiDuck

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Dostal. You can make a case that one of the defenders here, but I don't really care for any of them :D. Dostal made a huge impression last season and I'm super excited to see him play the next season in Finland. Goalies are a mystery and he could very well suck next season, but if he has impressive season, I could very well rank him in the top 5.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
When a 1st round pick just selected this season is 7th on your prospect list, your prospect list is pretty decent.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Still rolling with McLaughlin, though Dostal is probably going to win this in a landslide and I think we're then going to get a run on defensemen.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I'm a big Groulx guy. Think he'll be a nice bottom 6er for a long time.

Also, I know this board doesn't love advanced stats but Corsica has a ranking of prospects based on previous prospect similarities. A lot of our prospects are strangely high (although Zegras is a bit low).

1. Lundestrom (11)
2. Comtois (18)
3. Terry (24)
4. Tracey (52)
5. Steel (55)
6. Guhle (66)
7. Jones (79)
8. Zegras (168)
9. Groulx (269)
10. Mahura (294)
11. Lacombe (342)
12. Perbix (491)
13. Morand (8001, lol)

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When a 1st round pick just selected this season is 7th on your prospect list, your prospect list is pretty decent.

That does sound amazing, and I'd like to add context.

In our top 6, four are first round selections:
1. Zegras was selected 9th overall in 2019 draft.
2. Steel was selected 30th overall in 2016 draft.
5. Lundestrom was selected 23rd overall in 2018 draft.
6. Jones was selected 24th overall in 2016 draft.
7. Tracey was selected 29th overall in 2109 draft.

Steel and Jones were selected in the same draft year. Zegras and Tracey were selected in the same draft year. Some fans are not a fan of GM Bob Murray, but look at what he's done to where on an early fan prospect ranking poll. The ratio of prospects making the NHL favors first rounders of being more successful than other rounds. In that same vein, prospects selected in the top-10 have a higher rate of success than the rest of the first round selections. Double dipping in the first round is something most NHL clubs do not do, let alone even a rarer event with a team that is often found in the playoffs. Anaheim has been a staple in the playoff hunt for six out the past seven seasons, with six consecutive seasons of being a playoff participant starting from the 2012-2013 season.

Tracey was seen as a reach at 29th overall. Elite Prospects had him rated at 55th overall. Hockey Prospect and draftsite.com rated him 43rd. Last Word on Sports: Hockey rated him 42nd. NHL.com ranked Tracey 21st overall for North American skaters (this excludes all goalies and non-NA skaters). Interestingly enough, NHL.com's mid-term ranking had Tracey ranked 73rd for NA skaters.

The other two prospects ahead of Tracey are Troy Terry and Max Comtois. Terry is a 2015 fifth round selection. Comtois is a 2017 second round selection. Max is an interesting draft pick as he was selected 50th overall and the Ducks first pick in the 2017 draft because they traded away their first round selection. Max is similar in draft talent projection with Tracey. With two years under Comtois' belt, his talent rank skyrocketed in his second year, which was last year.

Still, wow! Look at all those forward prospects the Ducks have today.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Also, I know this board doesn't love advanced stats but Corsica has a ranking of prospects based on previous prospect similarities. A lot of our prospects are strangely high (although Zegras is a bit low).

1. Lundestrom (11)
2. Comtois (18)
3. Terry (24)
4. Tracey (52)
5. Steel (55)
6. Guhle (66)
7. Jones (79)
8. Zegras (168)
9. Groulx (269)
10. Mahura (294)
11. Lacombe (342)
12. Perbix (491)
13. Morand (8001, lol)

Are we sleeping on Lundestrom? I'm very surprised about Lundestrom and look at Tracey race up high.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Are we sleeping on Lundestrom? I'm very surprised about Lundestrom and look at Tracey race up high.

Lundestrom's underlying numbers have been excellent in the SHL. I think CanucksArmy had him top 15 in the draft and said his CF% and GF% were both very good, not only for a 17 year old but for players in that league in general. It makes sense watching him and how smart he is. He is going to be a player that analytics types love.

Reactions: eternalbedhead

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

1. Lundestrom (11)
2. Comtois (18)
3. Terry (24)
4. Tracey (52)
5. Steel (55)
6. Guhle (66)
7. Jones (79)
8. Zegras (168)
9. Groulx (269)
10. Mahura (294)
11. Lacombe (342)
12. Perbix (491)
13. Morand (8001, lol)
Do you have a link? I'd love to read it.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
There was a short news article regarding Dostal on Ilves' page Lukáš Dostál jatkaa Ilveksessä – palaa Tampereelle NHL-leirin jälkeen • Tampereen Ilves

Basically what it says that Dostal will attend Ducks' training camp in September but after it he will return to Finland to play for Ilves. Here's a translated quote from Dostal: "I was happy when I found out that it was possible to return to Ilves for this season because this is a very good step for my development. We talked with Anaheim when I signed the NHL contract and they too saw it as very positive thing that I would return to Ilves. They want me to progress and Ilves offers the best opportunity for it. It is great to be here again and get another chance to play in front of the wonderful fans. Our practice games start next week in Tampere, I just like the whole team am waiting for them and for the season to begin!"

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
There was a short news article regarding Dostal on Ilves' page Lukáš Dostál jatkaa Ilveksessä – palaa Tampereelle NHL-leirin jälkeen • Tampereen Ilves

Basically what it says that Dostal will attend Ducks' training camp in September but after it he will return to Finland to play for Ilves. Here's a translated quote from Dostal: "I was happy when I found out that it was possible to return to Ilves for this season because this is a very good step for my development. We talked with Anaheim when I signed the NHL contract and they too saw it as very positive thing that I would return to Ilves. They want me to progress and Ilves offers the best opportunity for it. It is great to be here again and get another chance to play in front of the wonderful fans. Our practice games start next week in Tampere, I just like the whole team am waiting for them and for the season to begin!"

The signing of Kolppanen now makes a lot more sense. He'll start when Lukas is on the training camp, they'll switch so that Dostal gets the majority of the games when he gets back and Kolppanen takes the #1 duties again when Lukas leaves for the WJC.

Lukas would end up playing a lot, but on the Liiga statistics they'd share the net evenly.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad