Prospect Info: 2019 top prospects #6

Best prospect

• Total voters

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Vote for who you think the best prospect is (using your own criteria of what you think makes someone the best prospect, eligibility is the hockeysfuture criteria). Polls will be up 48 hours, if they are close enough I'll make a tiebreaker poll.

Results so far:
1. Zegras (not ranked)
2. Steel (-1)
3. Terry (-1)
4. Comtois (+2)
5. Lundestrom (-)

Last years results
2017 results

Every poll so far has been unanimous. I would think now we will start seeing some competition. Could see any of Jones/Tracey/Dostal winning it.

If anyone wants anybody else added to the next poll let me know.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I feel like Jones should be the obvious one here. He's had the most positive performance in the NHL, and still has solid potential.

I'm probably more down on our defensemen prospects than most, and I can't justify saying someone we just drafted is better than someone who's already shown to be good in the NHL.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Jones for me as well. The only reason I put him behind Lundestrom is my concern for Max's durability given the style of game he plays. But I like his cockiness/confidence. Makes me think it gives him a better shot at reaching his offensive potential if that makes any sense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tough...

Max jones is the closest to nhl ready forward left.

Tracey might have the highest upside of remaining forwards

Dostal looks like a future starter so far

I think im gunna go with tracey on potential

Reactions: Kalv

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm incredibly tempted to go for Tracey here on the basis of what I've read about the kid, but without having seen him even once it's a really hard decision to justify. He's definitely got more potential than the Joneses of the world. I'm not too high on our defensive prospects either. Mahura has taken a dive, Larsson doesn't exactly instill confidence, and there's hardly anyone else yet. LaCombe could be interesting down the line, but not having seen him either I can't judge.

I guess I have to go Jones, despite not thinking very much of him. I think he's a classic case of a fanbase appreciating their own prospect more than it should.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Tracey so I don't waste a vote. hopefully Jones learns how to finish he missed so many open nets and grade A chances from Terry and steel.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I went with Jones. He has all the makings of an effective bottom 6 player and seemed to have a couple good scoring chances every game but was skate bitten to start his career. If he can work on his finishing and stay healthy (this is the big question mark) he will be a player.

I also considered Dostal, Tracey and Mahura here.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I debated going with Dostal, but ultimately picked Jones. Tracey and LaCombe could both make cases but I really want to see their draft+1 years first to make a better assessment.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Jones I guess. It's really close with a bunch of guys. It comes down to potential, likeliness to achieve it and how many years left of development. Jones may not have the highest potential but I see him becoming middle six player and he could become that sooner than most guys left.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I picked Tracey. I love Jones' game, but I have a really good feeling about the Tracey pick. I think he's got the skills to be a 1st liner

Those are exactly my thoughts. I like Jones and he’s definitely going to be an NHLer. But Tracey has significantly more upside IMO.

I guess Jones is getting a lot of votes because he’s the safer pick at the moment.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I went with Dostal. While he is young and goalies are particularly hard to handicap, I think that he has starter potential. We will know more by this time in two years. I think it is too early to rate Tracey or Lacombe until we see more. The other players on the list appear to top out at middle six forward or second pairing defenseman at best.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Jones because he's already shown he's ready for the NHL. I still wonder at his potential though, just have a feeling he'll never quite get his offensive game going to be a top 6 guy. I don't see him as a finisher at least. He will still be amazing to watch in the bottom 6 though.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think Guhle is being a bit underrated here. When he played I saw a player not afraid to join the rush with his skating and a dman that liked to shoot and actually put pucks on the net. 25 attempts and 14 on net in six games, one of which he left early with injury. I'm very excited to watch him play this season.

As an aside, in his extremely brief sample size he also put up some very good advanced stats. That could end up meaning absolutely nothing but i wanted to see if those stats matched up with what I thought I was seeing. Hopefully they bare out (bear?).

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Have Jones at 6 on my list. Though 6-10 are pretty interchangeable for me.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Jones already played in the NHL but it was because injuries and our team sucked. Don`t see anything more than a bottom 6 guy for now.
Tracey from what I saw from his youtube compilations, have skill, hockey IQ and is not affraid to go into dirty areas but I want to see his D+1 season.
Mahura and Larsson has fell off a bit for me.

Dostal it is. Outstanding play and stats in WJC`s and Liiga (Finnish top league). He turned 19 only a month ago.

He has a potential to be among our top prospects next summer.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Went with Dostal b/c he's got potential to be a 1G at the NHL level. Sure Jones and Tracey have high potential, but Dostal also has that high potential. At this point of their careers, Dostal's potential floor seems already higher than both Jones and Tracey. All prospects have the capacity to be a bust. In our little corner, the Ducks' scouting group has shown they can identify good goalies like they have in defensemen.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Jones already played in the NHL but it was because injuries and our team sucked. Don`t see anything more than a bottom 6 guy for now.
Tracey from what I saw from his youtube compilations, have skill, hockey IQ and is not affraid to go into dirty areas but I want to see his D+1 season.
Mahura and Larsson has fell off a bit for me.

Dostal it is. Outstanding play and stats in WJC`s and Liiga (Finnish top league). He turned 19 only a month ago.

He has a potential to be among our top prospects next summer.
Yeah I think Jones is mostly like an energy guy. I'm a Jones skeptic, so it was Dostal for me on potential.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Since one guy's ceiling is a middle six energy winger and the other's is a starting goalie, I went Dostal.
Always have a tough time with goalies on where to rank them as far as prospects go.... dostal looks great tho.

As for jones, he has soo much talent and physical traits you want in ah hockey player, but doesn't really put it together like a top player at the NHL level.... I still think he has a lot of potential if he can find scoring at the pro level.

Tracey/Lacombe are kinda like wild card players..... both have pretty high potential... but I don't think well have good reads on them until 2 years from now(so its hard to see where they can fit in our prospect depth chart)

Our d prospects imo are all right next to each other (mahura/Larsson/guhle)… and i think itll come down to personal preference.

Im prob a bit higher on Groulx than most around here... but I think hes going to make a very good 3rd line center at the nhl level in the not too distant future, I kinda hope he can end up like a Kadri type, with more of a brain, and a lil less offense.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Amazing to see so many people crap on Jones. He looked a lot better in his first call up then Rakell did and look how that turned out. We can’t write off Jones this quick he literally played like 20 games. He’s easily a top six winger ala Kunitz type if he can find the back of the net. Patience young grasshoppers

Reactions: 11Justin93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad