Prospect Info: 2019 Top prospects #15

Best prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McLaughlin wins the 14th spot in a lopsided poll.

Rankings so far:
1. Zegras (1st yr eligible)
2. Steel (-1)
3. Terry (-1)
4. Comtois (+2)
5. Lundestrom (-)
6. Jones (+2)
7. Tracey (1st yr eligible)
8. Dostal (+11)
9. Larsson (-6)
10. Guhle (1st yr Ducks property)
11. Mahura (-7)
12. Grouxl (+1)
13. LaCombe (1st yr eligible)
14. McLaughlin (-)

Last years results
2017 results

Added Jack Badini.

From now on I’ll add one-two guys from the following list to each poll, if you can comment on who to add I’ll take the player with the most votes. I believe all of the below are Ducks property except those listed as Gulls property who were recent enough Ducks draft picks. I believe Olson is no longer Ducks property and is going back to the WHL so have left him off.

To add:
William Francis
Matthew Hill
Roman Durny (Gulls contract)
Matt Berkovitz
Alex Dostie
Deven Siederoff
Angus Redmond
Garett Metcalf
Brent Gates (Gulls contract)
Steven Ruggiero (Gulls contract)
Nick Sorensen

I voted for Morand. I like his skill set and upside more than I like Sherwood’s high floor.

Last edited:

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
And so begins a new tier of prospects, and I honestly don't know which one to pick, because there are so many players! Out of everyone on this list, I'd name only Perbix and Badini as ones I wouldn't select here. Everyone else has at least somewhat of a case here.

Morand and Sherwood are probably the front-runners here; Benoit and Janicke could both make a strong case as well. But I went with Henry Thrun, as he was honestly one of my favorite picks of this past draft, and I think we got a steal at 101. The prospect of him Schultzing us is very worrisome, but purely in terms of potential-vs.-floor, I think he provides the best bang at this position. He was 4th in PPG among U18 defensemen in the USHL this last year -- the three players above him (Cam York, Dom Fensore, and Zach Jones) were all under 6'0". He was also 4th in the USDP; again, the three players above him (York, Fensore, and Marshall Warren) were again under 6'0". From a non-statistical standpoint, his scouting reports seem excellent for the draft position we got him at, and his defense is reportedly a plus in his game, which is great given his above-average performance. He'll be playing at Harvard next year, so we'll get a better picture of him then, but right now the only real concern I have with him is the potential of him bolting. Other than that, I think he's got a solid chance at being an NHLer and I'm glad he fell to us at 101.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ok Shwerwood. I had forgotten about him previously. He at least lready played in the NHL. Prospects remaining here are longshots (not certain at least) to make the NHL, so let`s go with someone we know already can hang in there.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
And so begins a new tier of prospects, and I honestly don't know which one to pick, because there are so many players! Out of everyone on this list, I'd name only Perbix and Badini as ones I wouldn't select here. Everyone else has at least somewhat of a case here.

Morand and Sherwood are probably the front-runners here; Benoit and Janicke could both make a strong case as well. But I went with Henry Thrun, as he was honestly one of my favorite picks of this past draft, and I think we got a steal at 101. The prospect of him Schultzing us is very worrisome, but purely in terms of potential-vs.-floor, I think he provides the best bang at this position. He was 4th in PPG among U18 defensemen in the USHL this last year -- the three players above him (Cam York, Dom Fensore, and Zach Jones) were all under 6'0". He was also 4th in the USDP; again, the three players above him (York, Fensore, and Marshall Warren) were again under 6'0". From a non-statistical standpoint, his scouting reports seem excellent for the draft position we got him at, and his defense is reportedly a plus in his game, which is great given his above-average performance. He'll be playing at Harvard next year, so we'll get a better picture of him then, but right now the only real concern I have with him is the potential of him bolting. Other than that, I think he's got a solid chance at being an NHLer and I'm glad he fell to us at 101.

I went Sherwood but Thrun was the other name I heavily considered here. I think he was a great value in the 4th round.

Reactions: eternalbedhead

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sherwood, janicke, thrun

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
49p in 60 USHL games this year as (a young but) overager. I haven`t seen him play but that doesn`t sound like much skill

He wasn’t an overager, the USHL is a junior league, the age limit is 20. Perbix just turned 18 prior to season. USHL isn’t the easiest league to put up huge numbers in either unless you’re a can’t miss prospect.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He wasn’t an overager, the USHL is a junior league, the age limit is 20. Perbix just turned 18 prior to season. USHL isn’t the easiest league to put up huge numbers in either unless you’re a can’t miss prospect.
Successful players rarely play another year after draft in the USHL.
And are there any players that was a good NHL player who had below PPG in the last year in USHL?

Don`t want to be a hater, just looking for reasonable comparisons.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Successful players rarely play another year after draft in the USHL.
And are there any players that was a good NHL player who had below PPG in the last year in USHL?

Don`t want to be a hater, just looking for reasonable comparisons.

Just briefly looking up players - David Backes played in the USHL as a 19 year old (he was drafted after that because he was passed over his first year of draft eligibility). Jason Blake played until he was 20 - in his 19 year old year he only just put up above a PPG.

When I have more time I can give you a more comprehensive list.

Edit: three more - Fedotenko played there until he was 20. Ryan Malone put up 36 points in 51 games as a 19 year old. Pavelski as a 19 year old put up 52 points in 52 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
49p in 60 USHL games this year as (a young but) overager. I haven`t seen him play but that doesn`t sound like much skill
None of the remaining players on the list have produced much anywhere. Morand was barely over a PPG for the 3rd straight year in juniors for example. At this point in the list, you go with the guy who you think has the potential to make a breakout in the next few seasons.
To me, that’s Perbix. I understand voting for Sherwood/Thrun/Morand here though.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just briefly looking up players - David Backes played in the USHL as a 19 year old (he was drafted after that because he was passed over his first year of draft eligibility). Jason Blake played until he was 20 - in his 19 year old year he only just put up above a PPG.

When I have more time I can give you a more comprehensive list.

Edit: three more - Fedotenko played there until he was 20. Ryan Malone put up 36 points in 51 games as a 19 year old. Pavelski as a 19 year old put up 52 points in 52 games.
Didn`t realize that, thank you. Weird that Pavelski had actually better PPG in his first USHL season. In his second one he was precisely 1PPG in regular season and playoffs.
I mistakenly had thought that you must be for sure over PPG in USHL to have a good shot in the future.
Also, Perbix scored 6 less points than the leading scorer of Green Bay in 19 less games. So most likely he was leading the team in scoring by a decent amount when he was traded.
That`s of course good as yeah, there could be a lower scoring team.
None of the remaining players on the list have produced much anywhere. Morand was barely over a PPG for the 3rd straight year in juniors for example. At this point in the list, you go with the guy who you think has the potential to make a breakout in the next few seasons.
To me, that’s Perbix. I understand voting for Sherwood/Thrun/Morand here though.[/QUOTE
I think Kopacka, Janicke, Benoit all have showed signs of potential future in the NHL

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
To me, that’s Perbix. I understand voting for Sherwood/Thrun/Morand here though.
Well that convinced me. I voted Perbix. Since none of the prospects left wow me, i went with the guy with potential to jump up the rankings.

I wonder if when the Ducks were drafting Badini, that Madden texted to Murray: 'Draft Ba !!!!' since he's fallen in the draft & was unable to type the rest of Batherson name because his fingers had dorito chip stuff on them so then Murray selected Badini thinking he meant Badini when he said Ba.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad