Prospect Info: 2019 top prospects #14

Best prospect

• Total voters

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Recent second rounder LaCombe comes in at number 13.

Rankings so far:
1. Zegras (1st yr eligible)
2. Steel (-1)
3. Terry (-1)
4. Comtois (+2)
5. Lundestrom (-)
6. Jones (+2)
7. Tracey (1st yr eligible)
8. Dostal (+11)
9. Larsson (-6)
10. Guhle (1st yr Ducks property)
11. Mahura (-7)
12. Grouxl (+1)
13. LaCombe (1st yr eligible)

Last years results
2017 results

Added Trevor Janicke.

From now on I’ll add one-two guys from the following list to each poll, if you can comment on who to add I’ll take the player with the most votes. I believe all of the below are Ducks property except those listed as Gulls property who were recent enough Ducks draft picks. I believe Olson is no longer Ducks property and is going back to the WHL so have left him off.

To add:
William Francis
Matthew Hill
Roman Durny (Gulls contract)
Jack Badini
Matt Berkovitz
Alex Dostie
Deven Siederoff
Angus Redmond
Garett Metcalf
Brent Gates (Gulls contract)
Steven Ruggiero (Gulls contract)

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sherwood then McLaughlin.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm going with Trevor Janicke, over Blake.

Yesterday, I read a Q&A on Anaheim Calling with Blake: link. The interview was very insightful as it added a lot more depth about Blake the prospect. I came away with "a long term development guy right now." So I looked up scouting reports on Blake and they confirmed what the interview brought to light - Blake needed to add mass. Blake does possess top end skating and some scoring prowess, but his thin frame and lack of inconsistency defensively (according to the a LWoS scouting report) are huge draw backs. McLaughlin did add 18 pounds of mass this past season, which is why going the college route was far more beneficial to him in the long run.

Then I looked up Janicke. He was first in scoring on his USHL team. Was second in scoring on USA U19 this past year.

This year's World Junior's Summer Showcase, team USA played four games (not split in blue and white).

USA GamesPlayerGAPtsPlus/MinusSOG
4Zegras224-29
3McLaughlin11214
3Janicke02223
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McLaughling and Janicke didn't participate in the first team game against Canada, where the result was Canada 4, USA 1. The rest of the games had all three playing. I think both McLaughlin and Janicke are better 200 foot ice players.

Janicke is a year younger than McLaughlin. Now, here's a scouting profile for Janicke from Wings Nation: link. I'm more intrigued with Janicke today than I am of McLaughlin. Maybe the author Cameron Kuom from Wings Nation knows a lot more than we know. Another 5th rounder with a potential to make the NHL? Yes, please, may I have another!

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Don't know how you can rate McLaughlin over Sherwood when almost every single person on here has never seen him play any type of game or scrimmage..... and you have seen Sherwood on the DUCKS.

If multiple people say they have seen Blake play more than 1 game then people are just lying. I watch our prospects more than most and Blake is a complete unknown other than the random USA games.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't know how you can rate McLaughlin over Sherwood when almost every single person on here has never seen him play any type of game or scrimmage..... and you have seen Sherwood on the DUCKS.

If multiple people say they have seen Blake play more than 1 game then people are just lying. I watch our prospects more than most and Blake is a complete unknown other than the random USA games.

....didn't you post in the last vote that you were voting for Lacombe?

Reactions: bags07 and Paul4587

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Sherwood is at best a Cogliano Jr. Still a solid player, but not a high ceiling at all. McLaughlin has a much higher ceiling without being too bad in terms of the worst-case scenario.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
....didn't you post in the last vote that you were voting for Lacombe?
Yes because our D prospects are thin and he was our 2nd round pick. I have seen full game video of him as well.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sherwood is at best a Cogliano Jr. Still a solid player, but not a high ceiling at all. McLaughlin has a much higher ceiling without being too bad in terms of the worst-case scenario.
Have you seen him play? or footage? if so can you link it

Not chirping just legitimately want to see more clips/video of him.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

“Use any criteria you would like to rank these players”.

This voting is not solely based on likeliness to make the NHL. BO Grouxl would be our top prospect if it was

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes because our D prospects are thin and he was our 2nd round pick. I have seen full game video of him as well.

Ah so you're allowed to rank Lacombe based on a one game sample but no one else is allowed to do the same with McLaughlin, oh and if they say they have seen more than one game they are a liar.

Jeez dude, did your head get so swollen from falling off your high horse?

People can vote using whatever criteria they like. An example is you just pointing out that you take positional need into consideration when most would consider that moot when ranking prospects.

If I happen to vote McLaughlin based on what I've read and seen in a small sample it should hardly get your knickers in such a wad when you literally did the same just one spot earlier- on a player who has barely played above high school no less.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Ah so you're allowed to rank Lacombe based on a one game sample but no one else is allowed to do the same with McLaughlin, oh and if they say they have seen more than one game they are a liar.

Jeez dude, did your head get so swollen from falling off your high horse?

There is more than 1 video.... here is a couple of them.

Jan 7th/18 - Northwood v. Shattuck St. Mary's
Jan27/19 - SAC v. Shattuck St. Mary's
Feb 17/17 - SAC v. Shattuck St. Mary's
Feb 11th/18 - St. Andrew's College v. Shattuck St. Mary's
Feb 10th/18 - St. Andrew's College v. Shattuck St. Mary's

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It is strange with McLaughin, he may be the highest draft pick that we have no footage/information on ever, luckily we saw some of him with USA.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Went with Lori McLaughlin. Sherwood is gonna be nothing more than a 4th line energy guy, every team has one of those prospects.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
“Use any criteria you would like to rank these players”.

This voting is not solely based on likeliness to make the NHL. BO Grouxl would be our top prospect if it was
What? that's not true at all. Nothing about Grouxl shows he's most likely to make the NHL.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Groulx is more likely to make NHL than Terry, Steel, Larsson, Zegras, Lundestrom, Comtois, Jones?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Some are voting McLaughlin over Sherwood because they have seen Sherwood on the Ducks.

Reactions: AngelDuck

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Some are voting McLaughlin over Sherwood because they have seen Sherwood on the Ducks.
He had an excellent rookie season for an unknown prospect. Made the team his first pro season who else has done that?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He had an excellent rookie season for an unknown prospect. Made the team his first pro season who else has done that?

So did Brandon McMillan.

I like Sherwood but there’s no question his upside is limited. He may stick for a long time in the league but it won’t be as anything more than a bottom 6 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad