Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Would you do this deal?

To Chicago: 10th overall pick
To Vancouver: 3rd overall pick, Brent Seabrook

I think I would. You'd have to get really aggressive about moving out dead weight salary like Loui Eriksson and Jay Beagle though.

Ehhhhh, tempting. If the purpose is to draft Bowen Byram then our defence would be in pretty good shape moving forward, even with an aging Seabrooke. However the cap restraints would mean pursuing free agent wingers would be brutal. Our forward depth sucks, so if it is not being addressed in Free agency or draft this year, that really hurts the usefullness of this trade. If we had some good forward prospects on the horizon, I think I would do this deal. But since we don't, I'm leaning no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Would you do this deal?

I think I would. You'd have to get really aggressive about moving out dead weight salary like Loui Eriksson and Jay Beagle though.

I do it. I'd even add Tanev probably for a small adder back from Chicago. Presumably that would be so Chicago could take a run at Panarin while their window is still open. Seabrook wouldn't make much more than, say, Myers so the salary is kind of a wash. Neither player is a top pairing D anymore. You could even still add Myers if you wanted. I think he's going to cost less than people think.

The only reason to hang on to Tanev is to see if he can recover some trade value and then dump him at the deadline. I don't see him as a long-term piece anymore, with all the injuries unfortunately. And like the above poster mentioned, I'd aggressively shop Eriksson and Sutter as well.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Would you do this deal?

Seabrook is signed for 5 more years, he's 35. And people are scared to go 3 years taking Edler to 35.

To me that would be a hard, hard no.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Would you do this deal?

Absolutely. Would rather take on Seabrook with an incentive over whatever Benning is itching to give Wayne Simmonds.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
That’s tough, I’d probably stand pat at 10. We’re going to get an excellent forward prospect at ten. I have enough confidence in Juolevi to be a top 4 dman as well.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hell no. Thats way too cheap to let Chicago, your conference rival, outta a bad contract when they're in cap trouble.

Should be able to get the 3rd and keep the tenth.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
If we had 3rd overall would you give it up to trade down to 10 and lose Loui Erickson’s contract

I doubt that

Would you trade 10 and Loui for 20 ?

For the record I would probably trade up to 3 and seabrook for 10 because Byram is very exciting, I just think it’s unrealistic and I believe I was first to propose this the day after the lottery, just had time to think about it

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I don't think Chicago would do that deal. We would probably have to sweeten it a little at least.

Seabrook could find his game again playing with Hughes though.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Would you do this deal?

Chicago would be stupid doing this,and miss out on Byram.They could dump Seabrook as a cap space in the expansion draft I'm thinkin or I could be wrong.But missing out on Byram would be a big mistake.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Here's a question for the hive mind: are we sold on Troy Stetcher as a top-4 D long term? On a championship caliber defence, he's probably a good #5. I was in the camp to extend him long term, but now I'm not so sure. He's a steady dman but the main motivation for me to extend him would be to retain his value, not necessarily because I see him as a key piece when the team is good. He is definitely a good story and found money for a regime that needs all the wins it can get. Maybe it's time to cash in the chips. I don't think his value will be much higher than it is now.

I am kind of cool with this season being a lost season, us taking everyone else's garbage, shipping out everyone with any value, and slowing down the rebuild. If Vancouver manages to take on Seabrook and Lucic, sends out Markstrom, Stetcher, and Tanev, signs some 2nd tier free agents for <3 year deals and compiles 2 or 3 more high first rounders in the process I'd call that trending in the right direction. The team itself will probably be frustrating to watch though.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Would you do this deal?

Man, I really wanna do it, but...five more years. Just an insane contract.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Chicago would be stupid doing this,and miss out on Byram.They could dump Seabrook as a cap space in the expansion draft I'm thinkin or I could be wrong.But missing out on Byram would be a big mistake.
I agree! Theres just no chance the difference is between offloading a boat anchor in seabrook and picking @ 10 vs 3 (and picking a stud D/ byram). Won’t happen so moving on...

It’s like another team offering to take eriksson off our hands and including Hughes.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The Hawks did trade Bickell a 4 mil cap dump and Teravainen to Carolina so this would probably be a really good deal for them.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah they did,but what draft position did they move I cant remember.But a chance at a stud dman I'm sure they wont do that again.

They trade them for a second. I would say the proposed trade is better value when you look at all aspects including the terrible contract of Seabrook. His contract is much worse than Bickell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Man, I really wanna do it, but...five more years. Just an insane contract.

It's gross ... but it would mean we wouldn't sign Myers to 6-7 year deal which is even more gross, so somehow taking Seabrook's awful contract might actually be a win for the franchise in the bigger picture?

We're in this bizarre place as a franchise where everything has to be evaluated against a Benning Baseline and a move that would seem to be bad might actually be good if he prevented Dim Jim from making an even worse move.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
It's gross ... but it would mean we wouldn't sign Myers to 6-7 year deal which is even more gross, so somehow taking Seabrook's awful contract might actually be a win for the franchise in the bigger picture?

We're in this bizarre place as a franchise where everything has to be evaluated against a Benning Baseline and a move that would seem to be bad might actually be good if he prevented Dim Jim from making an even worse move.

lol good point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad