• Jacob Larsson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Max Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Time for the annual prospect polls. Vote for who you think the best prospect is (using your own criteria of what you think makes someone the best prospect, eligibility is the hockeysfuture criteria). Polls will be up 48 hours, if they are close enough I'll make a tiebreaker poll.

Results so far:
1. Zegras

Last years results
2017 results

First one was a blowout so I'm going to move quickly to 2. Expecting this one to be pretty competitive.

I voted Steel but I like all 4 of him, Terry, Comtois and Lundestrom. I think Steel thinks the game the best, has arguably as much offensive upside as any of the others but is ahead of all but Lundestrom defensively by quite a bit.

I'll add more guys as we go along, feel free to let me know who you think should be added in the comments. I'll probably add two of Guhle/Morand/Mahura/McLaughlin in the next poll.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm going Steel for #2 as well. Terry is right up there, honestly, but I think Steel's possibly higher upside has him ahead of Terry even if the latter may be better suited to the NHL game as of now.

Reactions: Paul4587

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I'm surprised Steel is winning in a landslide. Its a little unfare of a represntation because the gap between Steel and Terry is really small.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I'm surprised Steel is winning in a landslide. Its a little unfare of a represntation because the gap between Steel and Terry is really small.
I agree with you. In fact, I voted for Terry.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I really like Steel, and he's improved his skating, which was his big concern. Voted for him, though the gap between him and Terry is indeed pretty small.

EDIT: I'm surprised Lundestrom isn't getting any love. I think he's a smidge behind Steel, but he's up in that tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
At this point in time I feel pretty comfortable ranking the top three Zegras/Steel/Terry.

After that I have a bit of a tough time with Comtois and Lundestrom, lean towards the latter.

Reactions: Hank84

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think Terry has the potential to be an elite top line winger and Steel has the potential to be a low end 1c. Steel plays a tougher position and sees the ice a little better but Terry has some elite hands and can be a great playmaker. Both are pretty close to tied for me but I think Terry has a bit more potential however Steel is far more valuable due to position.

I need to see more of Comtois to catapult him to Terry and Steel level. If he is that good then we have a ton of really good young forward talent in the system.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I couldn't decide between Steel and Terry so I decided to vote for the guy we need to pan out more... Steel.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To be more specific - what I have seen from Terry is that he has the ability to take over games offensively (not in the NHL yet). In WJCs he was playing the energy/defensive role as well because of the amount of the talent they had there, and he was able to be instrumental there too, not even counting the SO 5holes. , he was playing important minutes. When put in a major offensive role, he is able to drive, create, set up and finish the plays.

Steel does more of a dirty work. I haven`t seen him taking over games like Terry, offensively that is. I think simply put Steel doesn`t have as much offensive ability as Terry but is just a very solid all around prospect. Terry has to show he can translate his skill to the NHL though. Still, currently I give a slight edge to Terry I think his potential is higher - this season will give us a lot of idea though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To be more specific - what I have seen from Terry is that he has the ability to take over games offensively (not in the NHL yet). In WJCs he was playing the energy/defensive role as well because of the amount of the talent they had there, and he was able to be instrumental there too, not even counting the SO 5holes. , he was playing important minutes. When put in a major offensive role, he is able to drive, create, set up and finish the plays.

Steel does more of a dirty work. I haven`t seen him taking over games like Terry, offensively that is. I think simply put Steel doesn`t have as much offensive ability as Terry but is just a very solid all around prospect. Terry has to show he can translate his skill to the NHL though. Still, currently I give a slight edge to Terry I think his potential is higher - this season will give us a lot of idea though.

How has Steel not shown the ability to take over games that but Terry has? Steel started slow in the AHL but ended up putting up very good numbers. He tore apart the WHL. He was better offensively than Terry at the world junior level and the NHL level last season.

Terry has better hands and is more shifty but Steel thus far has gotten more offensive results at every level except the AHL. Steels vision is at least as good as Terry’s and he has shown more of a knack for scoring goals.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Steel for me... i have him confidently above comtois/terry, tho both could end up better.

But right now i just love steels potential

Reactions: Boo Boo

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
How has Steel not shown the ability to take over games that but Terry has? Steel started slow in the AHL but ended up putting up very good numbers. He tore apart the WHL. He was better offensively than Terry at the world junior level and the NHL level last season.

Terry has better hands and is more shifty but Steel thus far has gotten more offensive results at every level except the AHL. Steels vision is at least as good as Terry’s and he has shown more of a knack for scoring goals.
Steel was producing at the ridiculos levels when they had 2 top end centers there, I forgot the other guy, who was a Leafs prospect (overaer IIRC). His last year his production dipped - was still pretty good obviously.

I made my assumptions just from an eye test so take it for what it`s worth. Terry just seems to have the better offensive swag (if you can say it like that).
Terry also was a late grower - he was drafted at 5`11 and is now 6`1, he only recently finally started to really grow into his body, and was really dangerous in the AHL - which is much more important than NCAA or WHL. I remember when I was watching Terry in his D+1 season and he already had an amazing feel for the game and skill but he lacked strenght.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Steel was producing at the ridiculos levels when they had 2 top end centers there, I forgot the other guy, who was a Leafs prospect (overaer IIRC). His last year his production dipped - was still pretty good obviously.

I made my assumptions just from an eye test so take it for what it`s worth. Terry just seems to have the better offensive swag (if you can say it like that).
Terry also was a late grower - he was drafted at 5`11 and is now 6`1, he only recently finally started to really grow into his body, and was really dangerous in the AHL - which is much more important than NCAA or WHL. I remember when I was watching Terry in his D+1 season and he already had an amazing feel for the game and skill but he lacked strenght.

Fair enough. Offensively I think Terry is more flashy and noticeable but I don’t think it will offset Steels overall hockey IQ. I don’t think Terry will ever be close to Steel defensively though.

Reactions: Vipers31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad