2019 Offseason Thread Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I want Lehner back as much as the next fan, but no I am not going to be completely in the dumps if he doesn't return. As long as we didnt spend stupid money on someone else, further complicating Sorokin from coming over as well as taking away from our scoring additions fund. Robin was an amazing story, but let's not kid ourselves in not understanding just how much Trotz system benefited him. I mean Thomas Greiss was almost as good:

RL: 46 GP, (25-13-5), 2.13 GAA, .930 SV Pct., 6 SHO
TG: 43 GP, (23-14-2), 2.28 GAA, .927 SV Pct., 5 SHO

I mean one could easily argue that 3 more starts on the Jan/Feb run Thomas had (gave up 3 goals in 6 games stretched over an entire month) and we are talking about identical stats here.

I want Lehner back, but having a cheaper option to back up Greiss for a single year (with the hopes that entices Sorokin further) is not the end of the world for me...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I want Lehner back as much as the next fan, but no I am not going to be completely in the dumps if he doesn't return. As long as we didnt spend stupid money on someone else, further complicating Sorokin from coming over as well as taking away from our scoring additions fund. Robin was an amazing story, but let's not kid ourselves in understanding just how much Trotz system benefited him. I mean Thomas Greiss was almost as good:

RL: 46 GP, (25-13-5), 2.13 GAA, .930 SV Pct., 6 SHO
TG: 43 GP, (23-14-2), 2.28 GAA, .927 SV Pct., 5 SHO

I mean one could easily argue that 3 more starts on the Jan/Feb run Thomas had (gave up 3 goals in 6 games stretched over an entire month) and we are talking about identical stats here.

I want Lehner back, but having a cheaper option to back up Greiss for a single year (with the hopes that entices Sorokin further) is not the end of the world for me...

Greiss can't play more than two games in a row before having a loss. He isn't a long term answer.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Marchessault, but VGK would never trade him.

Everyone talking about the Leafs, but Vegas needs to shed about 10 million of cap space AT LEAST by start of season. If I was GM Pacioretty would be out the door first. You still need a minimum 3-4 million. After that at least one of the following must go: Eakin, Miller, Tuch, Gusev, Nosek, Holden.

And I agree that there's no way that Marchessault goes on the trade block given what he is and the contract he's on, but if he does that's a MUST PURSUE by Lou. I'd start with Wahlstrom and go from there depending on what Vegas wanted. He could step in and do everything Lee does and more for 5 million/year for the next FIVE years.

I will NEVER understand how Florida let him go. The worst job of exposing a player in the expansion draft of all teams.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I meant long term as in for the duration of next season. He can't be the starter.

Neither of them were technically the starter last season...until the playoffs

Lehner had a whopping four more starts than Greiss.

Truth be told, it hasn't been a very successful run with Robin when you give him 50 plus starts in a season

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Wahlstrom wasn’t particularly impressive last year and Marchessault has been very good and probably has a few good years left. I would definitely make that deal

I'm not a huge fan. I'd like to see the team target a player that's more prolific on the PP.

It's moot anyway since Vegas can trim the fat and get where they need to be with the cap rather than selling off productive players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just f***ing re-sign Lehner.

I’d prefer Lehner at 4-5 years 5milAAV over BOB at 3-5 years 7.5+AAV

And As for Varly, yuck.

I’ve followed Sorokin since he’s 18 and I’ve been a huge fan of his and think he’s the real deal. BUT, you can’t put all your faith in a guy who has never played an NHL game and you have no idea if it when he’s coming.

What we do know is Lehner is only 27 years old and came in and played great for us and gave us s chance to win every game. He fits in well with the team and loves it here.

Sign him to a 4-5 year deal and sure up our goaltending.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just ****ing re-sign Lehner.

I’d prefer Lehner at 4-5 years 5milAAV over BOB at 3-5 years 7.5+AAV

And As for Varly, yuck.

I mean, all of this has to be considered in the context that it takes 2 to tango. I realize that Lehner wants to be back, but we really don't have any idea about what his demands are. On the one hand, I'm certain that he loves the Islander organization. On the other hand, I'm sure that he knows that this is likely his last chance at a big contract. NYI has to talk to alternatives. I'd be upset if they weren't also talking to Mrazek when the time came around & if they're not where they want to be with Lehner.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
No one anticipated Lehner being a Vezina finalist and the brass probably does not want to pay him as one.

However, it is probably more about securing Sorokin as the franchise guy. He is essentially big foot and many of us have casted doubt on whether he will suit up for us.

I don’t think Lou would make Lehner plan B if he didnt have a high degree of confidence that getting Varlamov = Sorokin coming over to NA.

I’d figure another Russian player to help Sorokin get acclimated would do the trick - but it certainly isn’t the same as getting his idol and friend.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I’m so sick of hearing about Sorokin. He’s proven nothing at this level and we’re penciling him in as the starter over our current Vezina finalist.
Agreed. I like the idea of him coming down. But we have a sure thing who wants to stay here. Can't put all the eggs in an unproven kid. I know of a former GM who used to do that.

Reactions: wingnutks

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m so sick of hearing about Sorokin. He’s proven nothing at this level and we’re penciling him in as the starter over our current Vezina finalist.

This is how I feel. You can’t plan your offseason around a guy who hasn’t played an NHL game yet or even committed to coming over. He could be the next Hasek but until he gets here he’s nothing and shouldn’t play into our offseason or roster plans

Reactions: YearlyLottery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad