2019 Offseason Thread Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think a realistic way to look at it is we are at $64 million for 20 players. That is after we shell out 4 million to Beau, MDC and Ho-Sang. I did not count Fritz in that list of 20 players, nor did I put Ladd on the LTIR and I counted his 5.5 million on the cap. It is a safe assumption though that he is going to start there, but I still don't see the Islanders using all of that space.

For arguments sake let's put him there and use a little of that (it now becomes roughly 58 million) and say we are at 20 players with roughly 20 million to play with.

You make all of your decisions based on that assumption.

Signing both Panarin and Bobrovsky for instance would use all of that, and the only other "additions" would have to equal what you sent out in trade. Moving Leddy, Hickey and Greiss for instance would likely get you another FA forward (or in the swap with Nick) for upwards of 7 million and a LD and backup goalie on the cheap (hoping of course to save from the 6 million combined for the two Thomas').

Fact is, you won't know if Beau has to be on one of those two top lines or who the 3C will be until you find out about Panarin and to a lesser degree Marner...as well as whether we are serious suitors for Bobrovsky...
That's all well and good for this year. But then we have to deal with the cap for next year and we'll have significant raises for Toews, Barzal and Pulock. I'm not sure how we are max cap team this year and then fit in all those new deals. Realistically, Barzal's at $8m, Pulock is at $5m and Toews is at $3m. That may be on the low side too. So we need to find $16m in cap money to get those guys contracts.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Both Nelson AND RNH now earn 6 million per year.

You don't etch in a 6-MM guy to be your third line center.

And if we sign Panarin, everyone can say goodbye to us adding a center of RNH's magnitude.

Actually, that option was probably already out the window when we re-signed Nelson.

In any case, if we're slightly upgrading the 3rd line center role with a younger, better-skating player with tenacity, then Tanev is the guy to get.

And if the wallet is tight, there are a few other low-cost options like Cousins or Kampf.

Is Tanev primarily a center now?

JG Pageau if Ottawa may also be an interesting possibility.

Payout Ladds bonus, then send him with picks/prospects for Pageau. Ottawa can LTIR him. Certainly a stretch, but I’d inquire.

Reactions: seafoam

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That's all well and good for this year. But then we have to deal with the cap for next year and we'll have significant raises for Toews, Barzal and Pulock. I'm not sure how we are max cap team this year and then fit in all those new deals. Realistically, Barzal's at $8m, Pulock is at $5m and Toews is at $3m. That may be on the low side too. So we need to find $16m in cap money to get those guys contracts.

I say tack on another 4mil and figure we’re looking at 20mil increase. But you’re general point still stands and I agree completely.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

I think Lou realizes his flexibility in that regard. We will have Greiss (or whomever we sign as the backup if we trade him) coming off the books, Martin gone and several players who will be entering their final year or two of their contracts and will/can be more easily moved because of it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Is Tanev primarily a center now?

JG Pageau if Ottawa may also be an interesting possibility.

Payout Ladds bonus, then send him with picks/prospects for Pageau. Ottawa can LTIR him. Certainly a stretch, but I’d inquire.
That'd be ideal

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder if instead of Marner, Aho might be the guy to target. He is ripe for giving a 5 years 10M deal and Carolina might think twice about matching

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If we bring in Bobrovsky in order to get Panarin too, then I am fine with it. If we bring in a proven starter guy like Varlamov, I will be disappointed but still buy in for now. However, If we do not re sign Lehner to bring in the likes of a Cam Talbot, I will lose all faith in Lou. I am starting to get really worried. This is feeling like the making of either an amazing offseason (Panarin/Marner + more) or a HUGE setback (signing nobody big and losing our 2 UFA without replacing them with even similar level players).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad