• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
nashville CRUSHES 5 to take it in one of the most lopsided polls on here. Kinda rounds out that top tear tho could see Boston added to that group. They got elite fwd depth, an insanely deep and young d group, a top goalie and a quick learning coach. Anyways 6 is NEXT

1 Tampa Bay 56% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-stanley-cup-favourite-1.2518569/
2 Winnipeg 36% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-stanley-cup-favourite-2.2519437/
3 Pittsburgh 39% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-nhl-stanley-cup-favourite-3.2520087/
4 Washington 49% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-stanley-cup-favourite-4.2520405/
5 Nashville 65% https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-stanley-cup-favourite-5.2520917/

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah I agree I think those first five are the "top tier". Found this to be a tough one but went with St. Louis

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really get the St. Louis love.
Well the forwards and defensemen are there. Goalie is a question mark of course but it looks like a complete team.

Boston, STL, Toronto are definitely the next 3 in whatever order IMO.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Boston took a step back, they don't belong here. They still have the best line in the league but their depth leaves a lot to be desired, they should be in the 8-10 range. Leafs, Sharks, Blues should all be ahead of them in my opinion

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Boston took a step back, they don't belong here. They still have the best line in the league but their depth leaves a lot to be desired, they should be in the 8-10 range. Leafs, Sharks, Blues should all be ahead of them in my opinion
How exactly did they take a step back? They didn't lose anyone significant, did they? Add they have a steady stream of young talent coming up (i.e. Donato).

I mean, I hate Boston as much as the next guy but your post just comes across as blatant homerism.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Toronto loses two players who were always passengers, adds a 1st line C, and gains a year of experience...but they are going to finish lower than next year?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
How exactly did they take a step back? They didn't lose anyone significant, did they? Add they have a steady stream of young talent coming up (i.e. Donato).

I mean, I hate Boston as much as the next guy but your post just comes across as blatant homerism.

Fair enough, I can clarify - for one, I was never sold on them to begin with given how top heavy they are, and the fact that teams in a similar echelon like the Leafs and Blues added top end pieces puts them behind the eight ball (again, just my opinion). Not trying to discount what they have; like I said, their top line is potentially the best in the league, they have one of the best young dmen in the league in McAvoy, and some other good young players, but I don't think they're in the same tier as a few other teams that are still on the board here

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

I think because the 2 other top teams in their division got stronger while they didn't really. Most of Tampa's core are hitting their peak now (Valiseislky, Kucherov, Point, Hedman, Sergachev), while Boston has a mixture of past-peak and entering-peak players. Leafs lost negative players and added Tavares as well as entering-peak players.

So its not really Boston stepping back literally, but relatively to their division.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Yeah I think they’ll still be strong too. Pasta and McAvoy have a year more experience and lots of young players coming up.
People tend to look at who made the most off season changes in assessing who improved. Whereas there is a lot to be said for continuity and internal improvement.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Toronto loses two players who were always passengers, adds a 1st line C, and gains a year of experience...but they are going to finish lower than next year?

It's not what the Leafs did or didn't do necessarily. It's what other teams did that could see them slightly lower in the overall standings. I think virtually everyone is at the very least interested in seeing how they do this year but from an outsiders perspective adding Tavares and some younger guys while subtracting JVR and Bozak doesn't look like some big upgrade imo.

Compare that for instance to the Blues who upgraded from Stastny to O'Reilly, adding Fabbri and Thomas, and added an entire 3rd line in Perron, Bozak and Maroon. That's a much bigger net gain than what Toronto will get this year imo.

I'm interested in seeing Dermott and how much he can help that D group along with how Tavares changes things. Exciting year coming for the Leafs for sure.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Boston's got a superior team structure. They may not have the best "on paper" depth of those left on the list, but they play a really sound team game. Plus, Rask is still elite, and that top line can literally shut down the opposing team's top player an entire series.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It's not what the Leafs did or didn't do necessarily. It's what other teams did that could see them slightly lower in the overall standings. I think virtually everyone is at the very least interested in seeing how they do this year but from an outsiders perspective adding Tavares and some younger guys while subtracting JVR and Bozak doesn't look like some big upgrade imo.

Compare that for instance to the Blues who upgraded from Stastny to O'Reilly, adding Fabbri and Thomas, and added an entire 3rd line in Perron, Bozak and Maroon. That's a much bigger net gain than what Toronto will get this year imo.

I'm interested in seeing Dermott and how much he can help that D group along with how Tavares changes things. Exciting year coming for the Leafs for sure.

I just don't agree with the assessment. Bozak and JVR were sheltered every shift they played. Even if we didn't land Tavares, I would have expected that Johnsson and Kapanen could have helped defensively enough to make up for their loss. Then when you replace Komarov with Tavares and push Kadri downa C slot, I can't imagine the time will regress. We are very excited to have more compete on our side of the blue line this year. I guess we will see.

I will enjoy seeing how this threads ages in 6 or 7 months.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Good well balanced post. I think many are underestimating what the loss of those players, especially JVR will mean to the Leafs. He was a flawed player but carried the Leafs for a stretch last year with his offence and was a very good goal scorer and net front presence.
Adding Tavares was a great move. But let’s not pretend that there were also not some losses. Can the young guys fill those holes? Too soon to say.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Well the systematic underrating of Tavares since he's joined the Leafs will do that. not to mention the sheer ignorance of HF regarding how Bozak and JVR were used by the team. Their line had to be constantly sheltered, neither player was known for being tenacious or gritty. Soft is how they were often described.

That the Leafs now have three lines they can roll out at any given moment and have a chance to score is huge. If you don't see how adding the best free agent available since Chara is a big upgrade I don't know what to tell ya.

Yeah, adding an elite #1 centre is a much smaller net gain than a team adding multiple 2nd line centres.

Well he played last year and helped a ton if you had been paying attention. The only accurate part of your post is the last sentence, so good job.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah I agree I think those first five are the "top tier". Found this to be a tough one but went with St. Louis
Uh oh. He's not gonna like that.

The top 5 are the top 5. Now there is a clear cut 2nd tier of 3 teams I think. Boston, Toronto, St. Louis.

I'd go 6-Toronto, 7-Boston, 8-STL. But the poll is closed. So Toronto in the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad