2019 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Darin in the 4th round was the biggest surprise, right Caser?

The rest went kind of as expected. Some interesting off the board picks late in the draft, but that happens every year.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Man, I am pretty excited about Gritsyuk and Misyul. Misyul seems like a lock for the WJC team. Any chance Gritsyuk makes it?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Darin in the 4th round was the biggest surprise, right Caser?

The rest went kind of as expected. Some interesting off the board picks late in the draft, but that happens every year.

No, i've seen Daryin, he is a good skater and usually those are pretty valuable in terms of draft stock. Ibragimov likely is the biggest surprise, even bigger than Zherenko.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Ok, let's start reviewing at what actually happened. 27 Russians selected (I don't consider Alexandrov to be Russian, since he is likely not IIHF eligible to play for Russia), that's more than ever in the modern era, but I think it mostly reflects the lack of depth in the draft itself this year (especially you could see that at GK) and therefore teams were more inclined to "risk" and pick a player from Russia. Also that's the reason, why no notable undrafted omissions happened this year.

Reactions: canucklax and ozo

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's very interesting that most of the teams that drafted Russian prospects this year are the ones that, in the past, avoided Russian prospects.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Thanks @Caser!

I’m hoping that with Svechnikov in the fold, that we’ll make a larger effort to go after Russian prospects. Additionally, my hope is that having someone like Svech on the roster would make our team a little more attractive to them, as well.

Kochetkov to Carolina at #36.

Wish granted.

Gotta say that I’m pretty stoked about Kochetkov & very interested to see how Slepets develops.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's very interesting that most of the teams that drafted Russian prospects this year are the ones that, in the past, avoided Russian prospects.

There's always Anaheim and Ottawa. ;)

Wish granted.

Gotta say that I’m pretty stoked about Kochetkov & very interested to see how Slepets develops.

Canes found an efficient way to save money on scouting in Russia without losing in quality - they just went to watch the CAN/RUS Series and the WJC this time. :)

Reactions: SvechneJerk

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Everybody talks abouts USNTDP getting all the draftees, I kinda feel the same about Lokomotiv kids, so many of them got drafted it must be some sort of a record too.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Ok, let's start reviewing at what actually happened. 27 Russians selected (I don't consider Alexandrov to be Russian, since he is likely not IIHF eligible to play for Russia), that's more than ever in the modern era, but I think it mostly reflects the lack of depth in the draft itself this year (especially you could see that at GK) and therefore teams were more inclined to "risk" and pick a player from Russia. Also that's the reason, why no notable undrafted omissions happened this year.

Dronov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Slepets is a projected 4th liner, so there is that. Kochetkov though is a solid pick.

Slepets can be a lot more if he really wants to, but that's a big if.

Yeah, but you can't really call that a huge surprise. I never was able to understand why you don't spend a lower round pick on someone with an upside even though there is an injury concern, I mean, it's not like losing a 7th round in a rather weak draft would be a huge risk.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Caser, where would you have ranked late 2001's Amirov and Groshev had they been eligible for this years draft?

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Slepets is a projected 4th liner, so there is that. Kochetkov though is a solid pick.
Projected 4th liner? That seems like his basement.

I see Slepets as a good 3rd liner who could chip in offensively. Great breakaway speed and skilled puck handler.. I'm hoping he becomes a 2nd liner :)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Projected 4th liner? That seems like his basement.

I see Slepets as a good 3rd liner who could chip in offensively. Great breakaway speed and skilled puck handler.. I'm hoping he becomes a 2nd liner :)

Right now he isn't even a KHL regular, and you're talking about top6 role in the NHL...

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Right now he isn't even a KHL regular, and you're talking about top6 role in the NHL...
Was Shipachev a regular in the top Russia league at 19? He would be a top 6 player on many teams in the NHL.

Anisimov got 2 goals when he was 18/19.

Gusev wasn't a regular in KHL at 19

Might come as a surprise to you but development isn't always linear... I'm talking talent analysis and potential, not stat watching

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Was Shipachev a regular in the top Russia league at 19? He would be a top 6 player on many teams in the NHL.

Anisimov got 2 goals when he was 18/19.

Gusev wasn't a regular in KHL at 19

Might come as a surprise to you but development isn't always linear... I'm talking talent analysis and potential, not stat watching
You seem to be bad at evaluating potential then.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I know he is an overager at 21, but what can someone tell me about the Montreal pick of Arsen Khisamutdinov in the 5th round. The explanation we were given by the Ass't GM Timmins was that they felt he could be a player in 2 years many teams will try to recruit as a UFA, and they wanted to avoid the competition by locking down the rights to him with a pick at a point in the draft where the available talent was diminished anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad