Jul 2, 2018
final Central Scouting rank in brackets:

Joe Carroll LW Sault (101)
Billy Constantinou D Kingston (58)
Nando Eggenberger LW Oshawa (127)
Pavel Gogolev LW Guelph (140)
Cole MacKay RW Sault (99)
Keegan Stevenson LW Guelph (95)

feel free to share any that you thought also should have been drafted this weekend

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I would have considered Daniel D'Amico (F) Windsor. He was ranked 217, but, having watched him regularly, the kid has a bright future. His cold streak at the end of the season likely didn't help his rankings.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
final Central Scouting rank in brackets:

Joe Carroll LW Sault (101)
Billy Constantinou D Kingston (58)
Nando Eggenberger LW Oshawa (127)
Pavel Gogolev LW Guelph (140)
Cole MacKay RW Sault (99)
Keegan Stevenson LW Guelph (95)

feel free to share any that you thought also should have been drafted this weekend

Cajka was ranked 152 for final rankings. Managed 20 goals and 38 points as an import rookie on a poor team with limited supporting cast

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I was somewhat surprised that Mitchell Brewer didn't get taken. Not as surprised as Eggenberger because Brewer's offensive game isn't great yet, but how dominant he is defensively, I thought someone would've taken him later in the draft

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I was very surprised that Constantinou wasn’t selected. I thought he was good for a 2nd-3rd selection myself. He’s exactly the type of Dman selected in that range: great skater, skilled offensively, but undersized. I wonder what held him back.

Reactions: View from section 9

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I was very surprised that Constantinou wasn’t selected. I thought he was good for a 2nd-3rd selection myself. He’s exactly the type of Dman selected in that range: great skater, skilled offensively, but undersized. I wonder what held him back.
undersized...

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Cole MacKay not being picked surprised me. Greyhounds players are typically drafted higher than expected because it's the #1 place to develop, but NHL teams must have not liked his average size/speed despite the ppg production.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Cole MacKay not being picked surprised me. Greyhounds players are typically drafted higher than expected because it's the #1 place to develop, but NHL teams must have not liked his average size/speed despite the ppg production.

#1 place to develop? Lol based on what...? They have developed a lot of OHL players the last 6/7 years but have they developed that many NHL players? Certainly wouldn’t call them an nhl pipeline by any means...

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As fans we always expect our teams guys will get picked by NHL teams at the Entry Draft, and to further that we the fans always have a difficult time wrapping our heads around the same simple thought "Why didn't an NHL team pick our rated guy in the draft?"

Of course like many others I'm disappointed like the players who didn't get picked from OS in the two day event from Vancouver although if we the fans look at the big picture the draft really is only a steppingstone for these young men and by no means will all guarantee that they will play in the NHL in the years to come. However this by all means isn't the end of some players hopes of playing pro in the years to come. Looking from an OS standpoint.

Lyle, Bourque and Guzda will still get a crack at showing what they can do for the NHL as NHL training camp invites to the Panthers, Coyotes and Sens training camps as free agents. In the end it doesn't matter how they get their chance to make it but that they get a chance to make it.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
#1 place to develop? Lol based on what...? They have developed a lot of OHL players the last 6/7 years but have they developed that many NHL players? Certainly wouldn’t call them an nhl pipeline by any means...

For starters, consider the top 5 Ontario born point getters in NHL history.

All five of them played in the Soo and one is still active, not to mention a Hall of Fame goaltender.

As you mentioned, the track record of success is as strong as ever today (45 win average since 2012). We can't say what all of the current draft picks will be, but the first step to being a good NHL player is to be a good OHL player.

That's not to disparage what Erie accomplished during their recent 4 year run, which was incredible, but the consistency and track record just isn't the same in the present or the past.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I dont feel any Kitchener players were overlooked in the draft.

Yantsis had 50 goals but no history to show he will maintain it.

Gareffa has skill but is small and I didnt expect a late pick on him either.

Was happy to see Meireles picked, hard work paid off for him.

Not trying to derail with this response to top developing teams all time. But those wondering, go to hockeydb and you'll see Soo at #6 with total # of NHL players behind Peterborough, London, Oshawa, Kitchener and Ottawa (1 - 5 ) respectively.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
From a 67 perspective I was surprised nobody picked Hoefenmayer (after he went unsigned by Arizona). Mildly surprised nobody took a chance on Rippon.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Since 1997, Sault Ste. Marie is tied for 5th-8th among OHL teams in terms of having guys drafted to the NHL. In a league with 20 teams, that's closer to average and than it is to "the #1 place to develop" lol

The list:
1- London: 76
2- Plymouth/Flint: 61
3- Windsor: 55
4- Oshawa 53
T5- Peterborough: 51
T5- Ottawa: 51
T5- Guelph: 51
T5- Sault Ste. Marie: 51
9- Saginaw: 48
10- Kitchener: 47
11- Hamilton/Belleville: 46
12- North Bay/Brampton: 45
13- Mississauga/Toronto: 44
14- Owen Sound: 43
T15- Barrie: 41
T15- Sarnia: 41
T17- Sudbury: 39
T17- Erie: 39
19- Kingston: 35
20- Niagara: 32

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Andrew Perrot from OS should have got a sniff. He could still have a future at the next level. Maybe off-ice issues?

Reactions: KnightsWatch

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
From a 67 perspective I was surprised nobody picked Hoefenmayer (after he went unsigned by Arizona). Mildly surprised nobody took a chance on Rippon.

I can't believe he went unsigned after the season he had, but Arizona isn't exactly swimming in cash and have similar prospects to him/his play style already (ie. Capobianco, Dineen).

Surely someone will take the chance on him as an FA

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Just 1 goalie selected from the OHL this year. Sure, I understand there are ups and downs and that we live in a great big world, but just 1? I haven’t done a full count but I think about 20 in total were chosen.

Anyone want to offer up an opinion on someone who was (possibly) overlooked?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Just 1 goalie selected from the OHL this year. Sure, I understand there are ups and downs and that we live in a great big world, but just 1? I haven’t done a full count but I think about 20 in total were chosen.

Anyone want to offer up an opinion on someone who was (possibly) overlooked?

Not sure about the other OHL eligible guys, but Mack Guzda was probably the only one close to Jones in terms of workload this season. Probably easier to save a draft pick and wait and sign a guy out of camp (ie, Keyser) or wait and see how they do when they're not sharing the workload for a whole season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
For starters, consider the top 5 Ontario born point getters in NHL history.

All five of them played in the Soo and one is still active, not to mention a Hall of Fame goaltender.

As you mentioned, the track record of success is as strong as ever today (45 win average since 2012). We can't say what all of the current draft picks will be, but the first step to being a good NHL player is to be a good OHL player.

That's not to disparage what Erie accomplished during their recent 4 year run, which was incredible, but the consistency and track record just isn't the same in the present or the past.
Great job developing Wayne Gretzky. The hockey world is forever indebted.

all of these guys with the exception of Ron Francis (15th overall) were 1st and 2nd overall picks. Sault had the 2nd overall pick in the Francis draft as well but he was their 2nd round pick. the Greyhounds appear to be the 60s/70s/80s version of the Erie Otters. all this losing you're bound to get some good players in the draft and be good for a year or 2 here and there

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
all of these guys with the exception of Ron Francis (15th overall) were 1st and 2nd overall picks. Sault had the 2nd overall pick in the Francis draft as well but he was their 2nd round pick. the Greyhounds appear to be the 60s/70s/80s version of the Erie Otters. all this losing you're bound to get some good players in the draft and be good for a year or 2 here and there

All of the losing? The team has a .532 all time winning percentage. That's better than the Kitchener Rangers for the one fan that chimed in.

Teams get high picks every single year but none of them have any of the top 5 scorers.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Yep Connor McDavid/Strome helped but Maksimovich (3rd round), Debrincat (FA), Connor Brown (13th), Darren Raddysh (5th), Dermott (9th), etc etc. helped just as much. McDavid and Strome were the guys that started it for Erie but their mid to late round drafting was what put them over the top. A little disrespect to say a year or 2 of good for Erie when they were the first CHL team to win 50 or more for 4 straight years. Their recent losing 100 percent a result of lost assets from major trades but they are trending back up and still never managed a sub 19 win embarrassing season

Pretty much how it works for most every team in order to get to the top though. Guelph had complete disaster of a year in 2015. And they will have another this coming year. High draft picks are needed in this league or you better have a London like plan to manipulate or sway that high talent from college

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad